Continue to have problems with WiFi via Tasker

56_Kruiser

Mar 29, 2011, 10:48:06 AM3/29/11
to Tasker
I posted some time ago about problems with WiFi Near on Android 2.2.1.
Never saw an answer come back, and do see other similar posts.

I have since moved to stock 2.2 and am having same problems. The
phone, by the way, is Samsung Galaxy derivitavie, specifically,
Captivate.

To recap: If the phone has had a fresh boot, and when I come into the
WiFi state, it turns on WiFi, and will hook to my home WiFi and remain
connected. But as soon as I drive out of the area and come back, I
then have it connect/disconnect repeatedly, or...I end up with error
on the status of WiFi when I go look in settings. If I manually turn
wifi off, and then back on, it then maintains connection, although
sometimes it takes a couple attempts.

This pretty much negates the main reason I have for using Tasker,
although of course I am using it successfully for several other
things. I posted question in a thread on the ROM I currently have on
it (Cognition 4 series), and someone replied that they read that
Tasker has problems with the KB1 modem. I have switched to the JJ4
modem, and it made no difference, and of course, I also had the
problem on 2.2.1 with i9000 based modems.

Do we see a fix for this problem on the horizon? Or are there work
around suggestions?

Dave Fisher

Mar 29, 2011, 11:03:27 AM3/29/11
to tas...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know this is just a bug in Froyo on the Samsung Galaxy S lines - it hates toggling on and off repeatedly and gets confused, ending in an error state.

WiFi near with toggle enabled constantly toggles the wifi on and off, and it doesn't take long to get in a mess.

Funnily enough it was discussed earlier on the Voodoo Sound thread on XDA, and someone else was reproducing it by turning WiFi on and off quickly by hand (Tasker didn't even come into the equation until I mentioned it).

I gave up using WiFi Near and reverted back to using Cell Near/WiFi On/WiFi Connected in the end, and it works well enough for now.

Hopefully the forthcoming Gingerbread release will have fixed it!

--
Best Regards,
Dave Fisher

56_Kruiser

Mar 29, 2011, 10:48:06 AM3/29/11
to Tasker

Pent

Mar 29, 2011, 1:45:41 PM3/29/11
to Tasker
> To recap: If the phone has had a fresh boot, and when I come into the
> WiFi state, it turns on WiFi, and will hook to my home WiFi and remain
> connected. But as soon as I drive out of the area and come back, I
> then have it connect/disconnect repeatedly, or...I end up with error
> on the status of WiFi  when I go look in settings. If I manually turn
> wifi off, and then back on, it then maintains connection, although
> sometimes it takes a couple attempts.

Could you export the relevant profile descriptions here please (click
on
profile, properties button, export, description to clipboard) ?

My only comment at this stage is if you can stuck in an 'unknown'
state
then there's something wrong with Android, since Tasker is just using
the published API.

Also: the wifi sleep policy setting seems to be a common culprit for
problems with
wifi, maybe try changing it ? (Android Settings / Network / Wifi
Settings / Menu / Advanced)

Pent

56_Kruiser

Mar 29, 2011, 4:57:27 PM3/29/11
to Tasker
HI Pent

First, the exports. I have 3 profiles that between them accomplish my
goal (forwarding phone when home, and unforwarding when leaving). I
changed the actual phone number to all 5's. Also, you can ignore the
LOST variables in the last profile. Using that to track how many times
WiFi may drop over night. That particular thing is something not
related to Tasker. I find that N networking on the phone is not too
great, and have that there for testing when on N, hoping to find a
better modem.

Profile: Home Loc (12)
Location: 38.978247 / -95.28325 / 3000.0m
Enter: Anon (13)
A1: Variable Add [ Name:%HOME Value:1 Wrap Around:0 ]

Exit: Anon (14)
A1: Variable Subtract [ Name:%HOME Value:1 ]

Profile: Home wifi (8)
State: Variable Value
State: Wifi Near
Enter: Anon (9)
A1: WiFi [ Set:On ]

Exit: Anon (11)
A1: WiFi [ Set:Off ]
A2: Say [ Text:Turning WIFI off Engine:Voice:default:eng-USA Stream:1
Pitch:7 Speed:5 Continue Task Immediately:Off ]

Profile: Forward home (6)
State: Wifi Connected
Enter: Anon (7)
A1: Call [ Number:*004*55555555555# Auto Dial:On ] If [ %WIFILOST !~
1 ]
A2: Say [ Text:Forwarding phone home Engine:Voice:com.svox.classic:eng-
USA Stream:3 Pitch:7 Speed:9 Continue Task Immediately:Off ] If
[ %WIFILOST !~ 1 ]
A3: Variable Clear [ Name:%WIFILOST ]

Exit: Anon (10)
A1: Variable Add [ Name:%LOST Value:1 Wrap Around:0 ]
A2: Variable Set [ Name:%WIFILOST To:1 Do Maths:Off Append:Off ]
A3: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:0 Minutes:3 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
A4: Stop [ With Error:Off ] If [ %PACTIVE ~ *Forward home* ]
A5: Call [ Number:*004*55555555555# Auto Dial:On ]
A6: Variable Clear [ Name:%WIFILOST ]
A7: Say [ Text:Forwarding to Google Engine:Voice:com.svox.pico:eng-USA
Stream:0 Pitch:5 Speed:5 Continue Task Immediately:Off ]

Regarding the sleep policy: I have Sleep set to never.

One poster indicated I should try to not let WiFi Near toggle. I'll
give that a try too.

56_Kruiser

Mar 31, 2011, 9:20:51 PM3/31/11
to Tasker
Update: Turning off toggle in the WiFi Near does no good. WiFi never
comes on.(Haven't read instructions on WiFi near lately. Maybe that is
expected results if turning off WiFi Near. Not sure what the toggle
would be for, but given my difficulties with it, I think rather than
investigate for now, I'll try what Dave Fisher was mentioning, and
check out Cell Near.

frater mus

Apr 1, 2011, 10:53:48 AM4/1/11
to Tasker
On Mar 31, 8:20 pm, 56_Kruiser <rogerew...@gmail.com> wrote:

> expected results if turning off WiFi Near. Not sure what the toggle
> would be for, but given my difficulties with it, I think rather than
> investigate for now, I'll try what Dave Fisher was mentioning, and
> check out Cell Near.

My understanding: Starting with wifi off in Android, Toggle enabled
means Tasker can turn on Wifi briefly to check the "wifi near" status.

If folks are saying leave Toggle off for testing/palliative reasons*,
I think this means you'd have to leave wifi on in Android for Wifi
Near to ever be able to trigger.

I use several a Cell Near + Wifi Near profiles to connect to known
wifi access points around town and it works beautifully. Normally as
I walk through the front door Tasker has just connected (it does a
notification vibrate so I can tell when it connects).

* I haven't read the whole thread.

56_Kruiser

Apr 2, 2011, 9:25:20 AM4/2/11
to Tasker
My understanding is the same on Toggle for WiFi Near. I had to turn it
back on.

I too had much success with this, but lately it is failing miserably.
It must be related to the latest ROM and/or Modem I am using. I have
found that different modems affect success with this.

I am currently trying to use the UCKB1 ROM (Stock Captivate based 2.2
ROM), and it has a very limited list of modems. My main issue is
getting the ERROR when turning on the WiFi, and I only get that when
using Tasker. Someone in one of the posts on the ROM topic indicated
they thought Tasker had problems with the KB1 modem, but trying a
different modem it still happens. Maybe it is the ROM.

I also tried changing to Cell Near, and it is failing miserably too.
All I did was change the WiFi near to Cell Near; I had it scan for
towers, and it found 4; that profile activates, but it never kicks off
the WiFi Activation, which I put in the first task for that profile.

On Apr 1, 8:53 am, frater mus <googlegroups.frater...@spamgourmet.net>

Pent

Apr 2, 2011, 10:27:42 AM4/2/11
to Tasker
> I also tried changing to Cell Near, and it is failing miserably too.
> All I did was change the WiFi near to Cell Near; I had it scan for
> towers, and it found 4; that profile activates, but it never kicks off
> the WiFi Activation, which I put in the first task for that profile.

I can have a look at a log of this situation if you like to ensure
that the wifi
action is being executed, but if it is then there's not much else
I can think off.

http://tasker.dinglisch.net/faq-how.html#x

Pent

56_Kruiser

Apr 2, 2011, 7:04:33 PM4/2/11
to tas...@googlegroups.com
UPDATE

I will post back in a bit if I want to try the cell near.

FYI...I have found a thread in XDA that indicates that the WiFi Error is a common problem when toggleing WiFi with third party apps, not only Tasker. And it happens on various ROMs and various Kernels. I have no idea what started the trouble, or specifically when.

There are a couple kernels out that are attempting to fix that issue. I will go down that path a bit. I know that this all worked well for me for quite a while. But if I have to give up and try the cell near, I'll post back if I have issues with Cell Near, and post the export so you can be sure I am doing that right.

Thanks...