After 5 minutes of no cell signal, go into airplane mode for 30 minutes. Repeat.

Karen Lingel

Nov 10, 2010, 1:44:09 AM11/10/10
to Tasker
I get crappy cell service in my new office building. At the end of
the day, my phone is frequently on death's doorstep, battery-wise,
from trying to find cell service. I would like to do the following:

* If running on battery power...
* if there is no cell service for 5 minutes...
* go into airplane mode...
* wait 30 minutes
* repeat

My questions are:
* How do I tell that there is no cell service? "Cell Near"? "Cell
signal strength"?
* How do I count 5 minutes of no cell service? Run a profile that
increments a variable, giving it a cool-off period of 1 minute, and
then create another profile that executes on the Event that the
variable = 5 to put the phone in airplane mode for 30 minutes? I
haven't been successful doing that yet. But I just got Tasker, so I
am an amateur!

I have a Motorola Droid (original) using Android Version 2.2.

Thanks for any advice.
Message has been deleted

Pent

Nov 10, 2010, 4:39:02 AM11/10/10
to Tasker
Maybe:

State: Variable Value %CELLSIG < 4
State: Power Inverted

Enter Task:
Variable Set: %RUNNING, 1
Wait 5 Mins
If %RUNNING <=== this will have been cleared by exit task if
signal improved
Airplane Mode On
Wait 30
Airplane Mode Off
Wait 1 Min <-- chance to come out of airplane mode
Goto 2

Exit Task:
Variable Clear: %RUNNING

Pent

Ozgreg

Nov 10, 2010, 5:37:45 AM11/10/10
to Tasker
Sorry to jump into this thread but I just stumbled onto this issue
today around signal strength / Aircraft Mode.. Having Aircraft Mode
on will also trigger the %CELLSIG < 4, so if you have (manually)
activated Aircraft mode you might NOT want to toggle it back within
this profile..

Karen Lingel

Nov 10, 2010, 3:41:43 PM11/10/10
to Tasker
What if I add another state: Airplane mode OFF to the profile? Would
the profile exit when the it sets Airplane mode ON? If so, the exit
task would clear the %RUNNING variable. How's something like this:

State: Variable Value %CELLSIG < 4
State: Power Inverted
State: Airplane mode OFF

Enter Task:
1. Variable Set: %RUNNING, 1
2. Wait 5 Mins
3. If %RUNNING <=== this will have been cleared by exit task if
signal improved
4. Airplane Mode On
5. Wait 30
6. End if

At this point the Task exits, and won't Airplane mode get set back to
whatever it was before it entered the profile?

Exit Task:
Variable Clear: %RUNNING

There is also the problem that I can't set three state contexts.
How's this:

State: Variable Value %CELLSIG < 4
State: Power Inverted

Enter Task:
1. Variable Set: %RUNNING, 1
2. Wait 5 Mins
3. If %RUNNING <=== this will have been cleared by exit task if
signal improved
4. If Airplane Mode OFF
5 Airplane Mode On
6. Wait 30
7. Airplane Mode Off
8. Wait 1 minute
9. GoTo 2
10. End if
11. Endif

But, what if, during that 30 minutes that airplane mode is ON (step 6)
I want to put the phone in airplane mode for good? I guess I could
always turn the profile off when I _really_ need airplane mode on...
Hmmm.

-k-

Ozgreg

Nov 10, 2010, 5:14:02 PM11/10/10
to Tasker
Aircraft mode really makes a few things tricky... For my Cell Signal
profile, I have also used a NOT Aircraft mode context which seems to
have done the trick...

Karen Lingel

Nov 10, 2010, 8:16:55 PM11/10/10
to Tasker
Here is another question: During the 5 minute wait for improved
reception, suppose the signal gets bad and good and bad and good and
bad and good. How many copies of the task list are running?

Pent

Nov 11, 2010, 4:43:17 AM11/11/10
to Tasker
> Here is another question:  During the 5 minute wait for improved
> reception, suppose the signal gets bad and good and bad and good and
> bad and good.  How many copies of the task list are running?

Just one, because the default in Task Properties is to abort a new
task if a copy is still running.

Pent