The 5 Types of Western Buddhists

Thiele Everett

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
Mubul recently posted some guy named Tweed's list of four types of
American Buddhists, however I think his list needs updating. Here
are the five types of contemporary western Buddhists:

Psychologists: Their favorite book is _A Path with Heart_ by Jack
Kornfield. Use the four foundations of mindfulness
as an inner healing technique. Sceptical about rebirth.

The New Agers: Haven't read any books, except perhaps something by
Shirley Maclaine, but they wander into Buddhist centers
because of an interest in reincarnation. Hate the anatta
idea. Can be very nice people.

The Trekkers: Are convinced that Spock was a Buddhist. More attracted to
Zen. Bright and often very nice people. Are motioning to
replace the joined-palms greeting by the 'Live long and
prosper' hand sign.

60's Throwbacks: Romantic deadbeats. Hate all talk of reducing desires.
Think the Dhammapada sucks. Prefer a worn-out copy of
Goddard's _Buddhist Bible_. Can't hold the precepts, but
they do have a certain charm.

Orient Express: Travel to Thailand every chance they get and often have
a teacher there. Believe in 'the works' and can be dogmatic.
Only read 'Wheel' pamphlets. Seem to make a lot of progress.

I guess that covers all the types, at least from my limited experience. If
I've missed someone, please let me know.

--Rett

Tang Huyen

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
to Tang Huyen

Thiele Everett wrote:

<<

--Rett>>

You seem to forget one:

The Middle Eastern Religion Cloner: Does everything according to Middle Eastern
religions, like blind faith, mutual stroking, personality cult, "if he is not
for us he must be againt us" discrimination, "Check our Web site ...", uses
Buddhism as pure excuse, etc.

Tang Huyen

The Ruuts

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99

Thiele Everett wrote in message <7g8vg7$pjk$1...@oden.abc.se>...

Hi Rett,

The list above is good for a chuckle, but I certainly haven't found myself
up there!

Evelyn
:-)

Mubul

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
Thiele Everett wrote:

> I guess that covers all the types, at least from my limited experience. If
> I've missed someone, please let me know.

There are two important categories of contemporary Western Buddhist you
left out, Rett:

1. Cynical and disenchanted academics: Read books and articles by Don
Lopez, Robert Scharf, Jose Cabezon and Richard Hayes. They claim to be
Buddhists but spend most of their time trashing traditional Buddhism on
the grounds that trashing traditional Buddhism is a traditional Buddhist
practice. They claim to practice meditation, but if you look carefully
you'll see that what they are really doing is thinking about the next
book they have contracted to write.

2. Bhava.

Mubul

Thiele Everett

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
Mubul (mu...@aol.com) wrote:

: Thiele Everett wrote:
:
: > I guess that covers all the types, at least from my limited experience.
If
: > I've missed someone, please let me know.

: There are two important categories of contemporary Western Buddhist you
: left out, Rett:

: 1. Cynical and disenchanted academics:

[descripton snipped]

: 2. Bhava.

Good, but we need a snappy name for #2 here. How about "the Solitary
Volcano" ?

In any case, it seems we really do all have our failings. If there's
no Lord to have mercy on us, then maybe we just have to have mercy on
each other instead. (And if there is a Lord may we have mercy on him
as well)

--Rett

Thiele Everett

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
The Ruuts (pud...@frontiernet.net) wrote:

: Thiele Everett wrote in message <7g8vg7$pjk$1...@oden.abc.se>...

: >If I've missed someone, please let me know.

: The list above is good for a chuckle, but I certainly haven't found myself
: up there!

Sorry, I left out some very rare types:

#6 The Granny Good as Gold: Skilled at seeing the good sides of annoying
people and doesn't hold grudges (very long).
A bit prone to repeating uncertain facts, but
amenable to correction. An oasis of joy in
a parched cyber sangha. Her chain of future
rebirths looks like a flat stone skipping
across a pond -- occasionally hitting the
human realm she arcs up again for lengthy
sojourns in the heavens.

#7 The Goober in the Closet: Eats instant Thai chicken noodle soup while
typing at the keyboard, and thinks he is
mindful. Prefers tea because it's more
spiritual than coffee. Still hasn't told
his mom he's a buddhist. Forgets to return
books loaned from the temple library, which
he rationalizes as giving the monks a good
chance to practice patience.

--Rett

Mubul

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
Thiele Everett wrote:

>: 2. Bhava.
>
>Good, but we need a snappy name for #2 here.

The poor man has obviously been impaled on the horn of a monolemma. I think
descriptions are unnecessary. The name itself says more than enough.

>In any case, it seems we really do all have our failings. If there's
>no Lord to have mercy on us, then maybe we just have to have mercy on
>each other instead. (And if there is a Lord may we have mercy on him
>as well)

If there is a Lord, and if She is responsible for creating such flawed
creatures as we, then She has done the unforgivable. There is no having
mercy for Her. The only suitable response is to deny Her existence.

Mubul

JulianLZB87

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99

Thiele Everett wrote in message <7g8vg7$pjk$1...@oden.abc.se>...
>Mubul recently posted some guy named Tweed's list of four types of
>American Buddhists, however I think his list needs updating. Here
>are the five types of contemporary western Buddhists:
>
>Psychologists: Their favorite book is _A Path with Heart_ by Jack
> Kornfield. Use the four foundations of mindfulness
> as an inner healing technique. Sceptical about rebirth.
>
>The New Agers: Haven't read any books, except perhaps something by
> Shirley Maclaine, but they wander into Buddhist centers
> because of an interest in reincarnation. Hate the anatta
> idea. Can be very nice people.
>
>The Trekkers: Are convinced that Spock was a Buddhist. More attracted to
> Zen. Bright and often very nice people. Are motioning to
> replace the joined-palms greeting by the 'Live long and
> prosper' hand sign.
>
>60's Throwbacks: Romantic deadbeats. Hate all talk of reducing desires.
> Think the Dhammapada sucks. Prefer a worn-out copy of
> Goddard's _Buddhist Bible_. Can't hold the precepts, but
> they do have a certain charm.
>
>Orient Express: Travel to Thailand every chance they get and often have
> a teacher there. Believe in 'the works' and can be
dogmatic.
> Only read 'Wheel' pamphlets. Seem to make a lot of
progress.

>I guess that covers all the types, at least from my limited experience. If

>I've missed someone, please let me know.

NSA, although I don't blame you for overlooking it.

JulianLZB87

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99

The Ruuts wrote in message <7g9bga$1bs0$1...@node17.cwnet.frontiernet.net>...
>>--Rett
>

>Hi Rett,

>The list above is good for a chuckle, but I certainly haven't found myself
>up there!
>
>Evelyn
>:-)

Hang on a mo.... Huyen's back.

piet...@my-dejanews.com

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
m9...@abc.se (Thiele Everett) wrote:
> I guess that covers all the types, at least from my limited experience. If
> I've missed someone, please let me know.

well, me.

and Warren-troll, too, i suppose.

not that i really care, though :)

now, how about the 5 types of Eastern Buddhists?

including the hypocritical and dogmatic 'blind-baldy' variants too ... :)

Jackie

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99
Julian:
>Hang on a mo....
On what?

>Huyen's back.
Phew. Though I scared him off for a hanging mo.

Jackie, the psychological sixties trekker throwback, I think.

Jackie

Apr 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/29/99

>Good, but we need a snappy name for #2 here. How about "the Solitary
>Volcano" ?

*LOL* What a wonderful name for a fart.

Jackie.