intellectual thuggery of evolutionists on free will wiki

Syamsu

Apr 6, 2012, 8:57:58 PM4/6/12
The evolutionist thugs have succeeded in surpression of Ockham and
Reid's opinion that the agency in free will can only be identified
through faith and revelation. No way no how does any evolutionist have
any standing to appeal to Ockham or Reid again, and countless other
libertarian philosophers who say the same sort of thing. By failing to
acknowledge this particular opinion of them, the core of everything
they said is gutted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Free_will

Garamond Lethe

Apr 6, 2012, 11:23:22 PM4/6/12
So I'm mildly curious: You were told your behavior would lead to you
being banned. You were temporarily banned twice for your behavior. You
continued that behavior and have now been banned indefinitely.

That took a fair amount of effort on your part.

Why did you do that?

Michael Siemon

Apr 6, 2012, 11:50:41 PM4/6/12
In article <bPydnbT-D8e...@giganews.com>,
His free will? :-)

John Stockwell

Apr 6, 2012, 11:57:44 PM4/6/12
Faith is just an opinion. Revelation is another way of saying that
something was in some old book.

-John

John S. Wilkins

Apr 7, 2012, 12:05:33 AM4/7/12
He is compelled to behave as he does. It's in his nature.
--
John S. Wilkins, Associate, Philosophy, University of Sydney
http://evolvingthoughts.net

Garamond Lethe

Apr 7, 2012, 12:06:33 AM4/7/12
You have the makings of an interesting argument there. Atheistic,
materialistic evolution tends to (over sufficient amounts of time)
optimize the decision making process. We can only reassure ourselves
that we still possess freedom and free will by making really stupid,
inexplicable decisions over and over again.

Boikat

Apr 7, 2012, 12:01:47 AM4/7/12
Or, it could be that they decided you were a nut-job.

Boikat

Michael Siemon

Apr 7, 2012, 12:46:36 AM4/7/12
In article <s-Wdnajjdtf...@giganews.com>,
I'm not at all sure that your conclusion (that evolution optimizes
the decision making process) is a sustainable argument. Certainly,
human history seems to suggest otherwise. Particularly current USA
human history [over the two generations of my lifespan], IMHO...

Michael Siemon

Apr 7, 2012, 12:47:03 AM4/7/12
In article <1ki6ps7.764dfezp6qltN%jo...@wilkins.id.au>,
jo...@wilkins.id.au (John S. Wilkins) wrote:

> Michael Siemon <mlsi...@sonic.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <bPydnbT-D8e...@giganews.com>,
> > Garamond Lethe <cartogr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > So I'm mildly curious: You were told your behavior would lead to you
> > > being banned. You were temporarily banned twice for your behavior. You
> > > continued that behavior and have now been banned indefinitely.
> > >
> > > That took a fair amount of effort on your part.
> > >
> > > Why did you do that?
> >
> > His free will? :-)
>
> He is compelled to behave as he does. It's in his nature.

Yep; that's his free will!

Syamsu

Apr 7, 2012, 9:11:40 AM4/7/12
When you and several other evolutionists said that the citation of
Ockham and Reid did not establish that they identified the agent in a
choice subjectively, when it obviously did, then there was nothing
left for me to do but to call for your banning for surpressing an
opinion you don't agree with.

Note that nobody ever said, what it was then that Ockham and Reid did
say if it was not what I said it was. Pfhorrest phrased it as that
they said "something or other about souls". Indeed they did say
something or other about souls, and souls are agents in their
vocabulary.

This issue is simple, either you are for knowledge about freedom, or
you are against it. Being against it Darwinists act against freedom of
expression, freedom of religion, against democracy. These laws of
democracy are based on libertarian dualist understanding
distinghuishing subjective opinion from objective fact categorically.
We should expect history to repeat itself again and for all kinds of
ideologies wherein freedom plays no role to take hold on account of
Darwinism.

This incident leads me to conclude that the USA has become a parasite
nation, where a group of religious people take care of the motivation,
and another elitist group consumes the motivation without grattitude
towards religionists. The USA identity should therefore be destroyed,
or it will degenerate into a machine sucking the life out of people.
Americans should not identify themselves as Americans, but they should
think of themselves as Christian etc. or any other identity except
American. The American identity is compromised by parasites. The
simple method of destruction is to hate the USA, so as that the
parasites will have nothing to feed on. To subjectively reach the
conclusion that the USA is no good. A darwinist would deny this
opinion with statistics about the USA, saying we are forced to
conclude that the USA is a good nation. But exactly this denying
freedom of expressing subjective opinion is what makes the USA
identity in it's current form evil.

Garamond Lethe

Apr 7, 2012, 10:28:42 AM4/7/12
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 06:11:40 -0700, Syamsu wrote:

> On Apr 7, 5:23 am, Garamond Lethe <cartographi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 17:57:58 -0700, Syamsu wrote:
>> > The evolutionist thugs have succeeded in surpression of Ockham and
>> > Reid's opinion that the agency in free will can only be identified
>> > through faith and revelation. No way no how does any evolutionist
>> > have any standing to appeal to Ockham or Reid again, and countless
>> > other libertarian philosophers who say the same sort of thing. By
>> > failing to acknowledge this particular opinion of them, the core of
>> > everything they said is gutted.
>>
>> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Free_will
>>
>> So I'm mildly curious:  You were told your behavior would lead to you
>> being banned.  You were temporarily banned twice for your behavior.
>>  You continued that behavior and have now been banned indefinitely.
>>
>> That took a fair amount of effort on your part.
>>
>> Why did you do that?
>
> When you and several other evolutionists said that the citation of
> Ockham and Reid did not establish that they identified the agent in a
> choice subjectively, when it obviously did, then there was nothing left
> for me to do but to call for your banning for surpressing an opinion you
> don't agree with.

You weren't banned for calling for other people to be banned. You were
banned for edit warring.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:3rr#The_three-revert_rule

My question is why you were compelled to make the same edit eight times
in just over 24 hours when you had just come off of one-day and one-week
bans for exactly that behavior.

You do have free will, right? After being banned twice you could have
decided to change your behavior and persuade other editors that you were
correct, right?

Why did you make the choice instead to continue with precisely the same
behavior that had gotten you banned previously?

<snip>

Syamsu

Apr 7, 2012, 10:48:20 AM4/7/12
There was no oppurtunity to persuade Garamond, Vsmith or Pfhorrest et
al, that is a lie on the part of Garamond. They had decided the
citations of Ockham and Reid were invalid, without giving any reason
whatever.

Garamond, Pfhorrest, Vsmith et al. are never going to allow the entry
that libertarians identify the agency in a subjective way, because
they are evolutionist activists. Darwin, Dennet, Dawkins, Gould,
Heackel, Fischer, and all the evolutionist on talk.origins, treat
agency, like love or hate deciding, as matters of objective scientific
fact. They all treat love and hate as branfunctions which can be
objectively measured. Darwinists don't tolerate the opinion that
identifying love and hate is categorically a matter of subjective
opinion, they are steadfast against creationism, that is why they
surpress the creationist way of seeing things on wiki.

Garamond Lethe

Apr 7, 2012, 11:08:36 AM4/7/12
That's a lovely answer but it isn't an answer to the question I asked.

Let's try again.

You behaved in a way that went against the rules of the community you
were in.

The rules were pointed out to you, as were the consequences for
continuing to break those rules.

You continued to break those rules, even after being given two temporary
bans.

Syamsu

Apr 7, 2012, 11:07:33 AM4/7/12
And anybody can check to see, that the opinions of Ockham and Reid
about how the agency is identified, is now completely absent from the
libertarian section of the free will wiki. There is now only mention
of dualism of substance, soul and body, but no mention of the
different ways libertarians come to reach conclusion about each
category. And this is Garamond, Vsmith, and Pfhorrest's et al's doing.
Libertarianism is thus made to look ridiculous on the wiki where
libertarians are portrayed as fantasizing about a soul without
warrant, in stead of portraying libertarians as taking care to form
subjective opinions that are just and honest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_will

All mentions of Occam's razor by evolutionists should be retracted,
because evolutionists fundamentally disagree with Ockham. Ockham and
Reid would never in a million years agree to it that love and hate,
God, are matters of objective fact.

Boikat

Apr 7, 2012, 11:13:50 AM4/7/12
Maybe they don't think inane rantings of an obsessive compulsive
religious whacko has any merit.

Boikat

Kleuskes & Moos

Apr 7, 2012, 12:08:19 PM4/7/12
My guess would be either OCD or the fact he's an idiot.

/ ... the MYSTERIANS are in here with my \
\ CORDUROY SOAP DISH!! /
\
\
___
{~._.~}
( Y )
()~*~()
(_)-(_)

Syamsu

Apr 7, 2012, 12:33:05 PM4/7/12
But that is a lie, Garamond was acting against wiki rules by
repeatedly deleting the entry just because you didn't agree with the
opinion of Ockham and Reid. You should be banned from wiki, but
instead I was banned because the people who didn't want that opinion
of Ockham in there banned me. And for me to wait for 24 hours to
revert again, would be as much against wiki rules, as for me to revert
it immediately within 24 hours. It is not automatically against wiki
rules to revert a change more than 3 times within 24 hours, which is
why the violation is not automatic but is judged. And the judges said
that I didn't try to reach consensus, which is a lie. I did talk for
many pages, many pages of talk were deleted. But the evolutionists
simply rejected the entry outright because they didn't agree with the
opinion it presented. And now Garamond continues to lie that I didn't
try to reach consensus, where all what Garamond ever did was to delete
the entry, with meaningless appeals to wiki rules that it was not
valid.

Why was it not valid Garamond, when Ockham did in fact use 2 different
ways of understanding? He never argued anything about how the contrast
in "knowing and proof" and "faith and revelation" in Ockham's writing
should be interpreted if not in the way I said it should. Garamond is
a liar, and he is the main person guitly for misrepresenting
libertarian philosophers on the wiki on free will.

Boikat

Apr 7, 2012, 1:18:43 PM4/7/12
If you do something over and over again, and keep mgetting the same
results, it's just possible that you're insane.

> You should be banned from wiki, but
> instead I was banned because the people who didn't want that opinion
> of Ockham in there banned me.

Or, thought your interpretation was full of crap.

> And for me to wait for 24 hours to
> revert again, would be as much against wiki rules, as for me to revert
> it immediately within 24 hours. It is not automatically against wiki
> rules to revert a change more than 3 times within 24 hours, which is
> why the violation is not automatic but is judged. And the judges said
> that I didn't try to reach consensus, which is a lie.  I did talk for
> many pages, many pages of talk were deleted.

Where "talk" equals "inane babble", if your posts here are any
example.

> But the evolutionists
> simply rejected the entry outright because they didn't agree with the
> opinion it presented.

How do you know all that rejected your inanities were evolutionists?
Oh, they disagreed with you. How obvious! Were the also Nazis? I
mean, that's your fall-back excuse, isn't it?

> And now Garamond continues to lie that I didn't
> try to reach consensus, where all what Garamond ever did was to delete
> the entry, with meaningless appeals to wiki rules that it was not
> valid.

You never seek consensus. If nobody agrees with you, you start
frothing at the mouth and go off the deep end w2ith paranoid rants
about "evilutionists".

> Why was it not valid Garamond, when Ockham did in fact use 2 different
> ways of understanding? He never argued anything about how the contrast
> in "knowing and proof" and  "faith and revelation" in Ockham's writing
> should be interpreted if not in the way I said it should.

Does the way you "said it should" include the claim that rocks can
think aand make choices? If so, well, there's your problem.

> Garamond is
> a liar, and he is the main person guitly for misrepresenting
> libertarian philosophers on the wiki on free will.

But, then again, maybe you are full of crap.

Boikat

John Vreeland

Apr 7, 2012, 1:25:39 PM4/7/12
On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 21:47:03 -0700, Michael Siemon
The devil! The devil MADE him do it!

This was revealed to me... by God, I am sure.

--
Some aspects of life would be a lot easier if Creationists were required to carry warning signs. Fortunately, many of them already do.

John Vreeland

Apr 7, 2012, 1:34:06 PM4/7/12
That answer appears to be that Syamsu believes himself to be the
ultimate arbiter of rules which do not apply to him.

Can't you see that he was trying to enforce justice! You cannot let
rules get in the way of a fool and his right to be stupid in public.

Craig Franck

Apr 7, 2012, 1:57:21 PM4/7/12
On 4/7/2012 12:33 PM, Syamsu wrote:

> Why was it not valid Garamond, when Ockham did in fact use 2 different
> ways of understanding? He never argued anything about how the contrast
> in "knowing and proof" and "faith and revelation" in Ockham's writing
> should be interpreted if not in the way I said it should. Garamond is
> a liar, and he is the main person guitly for misrepresenting
> libertarian philosophers on the wiki on free will.

Just because you are factually correct doesn't mean the editorial
guidelines do not apply to you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_%E2%80%93_The_Missing_Manual

Craig

Syamsu

Apr 7, 2012, 2:21:28 PM4/7/12
Nonsense. Garamond et all deliberately misrepresent libertarian
philosphers, and ban people who try to give a fair representation of
their ideas. This is a case of the majority on wiki being corrupt. A
large group of people are conditioned by school and university to
arrive at a conclusion about what exists based on evidence. So when
they are confronted with an opinion of Ockham to rely on faith and
revelation to establish the identity of the agency, they reject it
because they don't like the opinion.

In any case we have seen that all evolutionists discard the opinion of
Ockham and Reid, it is now not to be found on the free will wiki,
because of the evolutionists. That is the fact which clearly
illustrates what evolutionists are about in their doings, trying to
surpress and destroy knowledge about freedom, destroy religion,
destroy subjective opinion. Basically they want everything to fit into
the cause and effect box, they are absolutely insane in this regard.

Garamond Lethe

Apr 7, 2012, 2:23:28 PM4/7/12
Ah, I think the answer is starting to become clearer now. If I can
summarize:

You never broke any rules, and despite this you were inexplicably banned
three times in quick succession.

Would you call that a fair summary?

Syamsu

Apr 7, 2012, 2:32:43 PM4/7/12
Yes. Your lying took care of it. You lied about the quote of Ockham
and Reid, you lied about me not trying to reach consensus. You and
your fellow evolutionists manipulated the process with meaningless
appeals to wiki rules in order to surpress an opinion you don't agree
with.

Garamond Lethe

Apr 7, 2012, 2:38:02 PM4/7/12
On Sat, 07 Apr 2012 11:21:28 -0700, Syamsu wrote:

<snip>

> Nonsense. Garamond et all

et alia, meaning "and others", abbreviated "et al.".

<snip>

Garamond Lethe

Apr 7, 2012, 2:41:21 PM4/7/12
Thank you.

Syamsu

Apr 7, 2012, 2:58:27 PM4/7/12
Go fuck yourself lying scum

Perseus

Apr 7, 2012, 4:00:05 PM4/7/12
On Apr 7, 5:06 am, Garamond Lethe <cartographi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 20:50:41 -0700, Michael Siemon wrote:
> > In article <bPydnbT-D8e3LuLS4p2d...@giganews.com>,
the basic decisions we make are mostly related to feeding, drinking
water and procreate. In this sense, we are behaving in a rather
deterministic way. But most of what people call "free will" is the
result of the other people over us, either by forcing us to go to war
or by enslaving us a way or another. But when we are not apparently
being forced to act, our actions are also determined by other people's
influence over us. A person can be very obedient or very the
opposite, that is disobedient, due to the way he has been educated.
But in general, we are under the influence, not only of our parents
and relatives, but also under the influence of their peers; either
because they had influenced him positively, either because his peers
had alienated him with hate. In any case, our will is determined in a
great amount by the influence of other people.

A very clear example is the case of how are spread religions in the
world. It is mostly a fact, that most people follows the religion of
their parents. So, from Jewish parents, you got Jewish children, and
so on, for Christians, Muslims, Buddhist etc. Then, this is clear
religion is not determined by free will, but the influence of
parents.

Then, among the many people influencing a person, sometimes results
some noise, and the person is acting a few times, a few moments, as
somewhat weird, and otherwise unexplained way. In those cases, we can
invoke "free will", for some actions have the appearance of not
obeying any known rule whatever. But as we are not omniscient, we
cannot be any sure that this or that action is the result of a genuine
"free will".

If "free will" does not exist, them, our actions are the result of
some known or unknown influences. Then, we do not need to be rock
scientist to understand that most people is Christian of this or that
flavor, because their parents were Christians. The same is valid for
other religions. The fact that someone changes religion for this
brand denomination to another brand, can be explained by some
plausibly reasoning. The same is valid for those that were to
pestered by freaky religious fanatical parents, and those children
reacted becoming atheists or changing of religion.

Perseus

Perseus

Apr 7, 2012, 4:12:24 PM4/7/12
On Apr 7, 1:57 am, Syamsu <nando_rontel...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> The evolutionist thugs have succeeded in surpression of Ockham and
> Reid's opinion that the agency in free will can only be identified
> through faith and revelation. No way no how does any evolutionist have
> any standing to appeal to Ockham or Reid again, and countless other
> libertarian philosophers who say the same sort of thing. By failing to
> acknowledge this particular opinion of them, the core of everything
> they said is gutted.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Free_will

That the agency of free will is identified through faith and
revelation?

Then a why a Christian has a faith and a revelation that drive him to
act in a different way a Muslim could act, or a Buddist or Hinduist?

Do you think that the faith has some immanent quality that owns
nothing to a religious doctrine external to the individual? Any
acting of a Christian, or a Muslim or an Jewish, is in great part
determined by a religion that is not inborn in the fetus, but it is
teach over the child. So, all the inspiration, as well as the nature
of his actions, on religious grounds is determined by the religious
environment. Other actions like what would look like their food and
their feeding or clothing habits, are determined by the culture of the
land in which one is living.

Then, can you explain from where comes the "free will"? What is his
essence? Can a Christian have the Muslim inspiration of hitting the
Twin Towers of NYC? Or can the free will of pious Muslim have the
Christian inspiration of burning a Koran?

Do do think that people is so free as that?

Perseus

Perseus

Apr 7, 2012, 4:17:34 PM4/7/12
On Apr 7, 5:46 am, Michael Siemon <mlsie...@sonic.net> wrote:
> In article <s-WdnajjdtfUIOLS4p2d...@giganews.com>,
>  Garamond Lethe <cartographi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 20:50:41 -0700, Michael Siemon wrote:
>
> > > In article <bPydnbT-D8e3LuLS4p2d...@giganews.com>,
I think that people is behaving stupid because he prefers to enjoy
wasting the present than to take care of the land and wealth their
children should inherit. It is a sort of greed. To enjoy the present
and damned shall be the future.

Perseus

Perseus

Apr 7, 2012, 4:34:37 PM4/7/12
This freedom you are invoking is the result of different doctrines
fighting for hegemony and domination of people. The different
political parties, the different religions, want to dominate people
and impose their own power. So, they are not fighting in favor of the
people to choose, but they are fighting to impose the peculiar
doctrine of each party that has not an hegemony yet, over all the
people. It is a sort of war among different doctrines, and that
implies different political parties, religious included.
But none of the arguments used in this war is something objective in
itself, but a mere verbal doctrine like all religions are. Then, if
you get dominated by some "Muslim truth", you end subjugated by this
"truth" and tied to it. The same can be said of a "Christian truth",
or other. None of this truths are objective entities, but subjective
humane impositions over the people.
Then, atheist are fighting to liberate people of this tyrannies of the
different religions. Then, you are invoking the freedom to enslave
other people to the truth of your religion. In this sense, all the
atheist that fight against religious fanaticism are your enemies.

> This incident leads me to conclude that the USA has become a parasite
> nation, where a group of religious people take care of the motivation,
> and another elitist group consumes the motivation without gratitude
> towards religionists. The USA identity should therefore be destroyed,
> or it will degenerate into a machine sucking the life out of people.

What identity are you talking about? Any identity a person has is
product of some past action over this person. It is not a genuine
product of his own self. No one is born being a Christian or a
Muslim, or a Hindu. It is after some brain systematic brain washing
that one becomes Christian, Muslim, or whatever. Then to be this way
or that way is not any identity but the result of a brain washing.

Perseus

Garamond Lethe

Apr 7, 2012, 4:37:01 PM4/7/12
23:34, 6 April 2012‎ Syamsu (talk | contribs)‎ . . (95,352 bytes) (+1,493)‎
17:22, 6 April 2012‎ Syamsu (talk | contribs)‎ . . (95,352 bytes) (+1,493)
12:53, 6 April 2012‎ Syamsu (talk | contribs)‎ . . (95,334 bytes) (+1,507)
12:39, 6 April 2012‎ Syamsu (talk | contribs)‎ . . (95,334 bytes) (+1,507)‎
09:38, 6 April 2012‎ Syamsu (talk | contribs)‎ . . (95,334 bytes) (+1,507)‎
08:41, 6 April 2012‎ Syamsu (talk | contribs)‎ . . (95,349 bytes) (+1,518)‎
21:22, 5 April 2012‎ Syamsu (talk | contribs)‎ . . (95,880 bytes) (+2,049)‎

Taken from:
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Free_will&action=history

"An editor must not perform more than three reverts on a single page
within a 24-hour period."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:3rr#The_three-revert_rule

Garamond Lethe

Apr 7, 2012, 4:44:07 PM4/7/12
[This time with carriage returns.]

Perseus

Apr 7, 2012, 5:05:37 PM4/7/12
he is a believer in "free will", because he has been brain washed to
believe that he is free, and that's has some stuff that it is called
"free will".

If you had been brain washed to believe the opposite concept, he would
had not believe any of this.

Why I do not believe in free will? Because I watch the distribution
of religions in the world. How are they distributed?
Geographically. Religions had been settled through war and political
tyranny. That is why religions are never mixed in the same region.
And that is also proved because the probability that a person have a
different religion than their parents is approaching zero. It is not
zero, for some parents are so idiotic, that they are able to alienate
their children as to make them desert of the parental religion.

This is the reason in my mind for not believing in the existence of
"free will".

I remember as child, I was living in a very Catholic nation that was
determined to exterminate all other religions as well as atheism.
They made rules to enforce this. But the Twenty Century were not a
good time for burning heretics, witches and sodomites in stakes. Also
the Napoleonic Civil code took away the power of the Catholic Church
to control people by burning some samples of them periodically. Even
if the Napoleonic code was revised and modified, the Catholic Church
never recuperated their former power. Then, without the power to
punish infidels but burning them from time to time, their power was
slowly evaporating.
Then, to me, religions only last if it is a tyranny imposed by the
parents over their children. It is nothing more. It is not the
result of free will. If it were, Christian parents would have Muslim
children and viceversa. Or the child would choose any religions he
fancies is more funny or more enjoyable, etc. But it is not. Not
only the parents are imposing their tyranny on their kids in school.
the kids in school would despise any other child with a foreign or
weird religion. Or a boy that declares himself being an atheist.
This attitude mimics the in intolerant attitude of the parents of the
people in school.
This is another argument to reject the existence of a "free will".
There is not any free will, but a tyranny over the people.

Perseus

Syamsu

Apr 7, 2012, 5:16:42 PM4/7/12
One is allowed to shoot to kill people such as Perseus when they put
their ideas about free will not being real into practice in commie and
nazi countries. Then the argument between free will or no free will is
settled with guns. America won the argument about free will with the
Sowjet Union, nazi Germany, and fascist Japan. Commies said people are
predestined by class struggle, nazi's said people are predestined by
struggle for survival and genes. The people believing in free will
shot them, argument settled.

Syamsu

Apr 7, 2012, 5:11:32 PM4/7/12
> > identity in it's current form evil.- Hide quoted text -

sounds like mein kampf

Perseus

Apr 7, 2012, 5:23:22 PM4/7/12
hate or love exists, but are deliberated induced by some social
agents. In the same way we teach our kids to speak the local
language, we teach his other questions as well, as how to behave, how
to forage for food, how to hunt. But we teach our children also, to
who they should hate, or to whom he can love. We teach our children
which are our enemies and how they look, and so on. This teaching
form a part of the culture of any family and any tribe, or super-
tribe. It goes all in the same package, language, religions,
folklore, minor superstitions, hunting and foraging, other techniques
and arts, warfare, hate and love.

I do not see anywhere the free will. If a small child is robbed by an
enemy tribe, he can be assimilated and learn the new culture of the
different tribe quite naturally. Or they can educate the child to
become a slave of the new tribe that robbed him. This is a well known
phenomenon. In the US the descendants of the former black slaves are
still in a category very similar to being slaves still. Perhaps they
are slaves in a form of attenuated slavery. But it is clear to see
who are the slaves in this nation. You can see, that the former
hatemongery of the black people has not disappeared if you read some
posters from the US. Other nations that have not such clear cut
markers as skin color, have also their former slaves as well. But of
course, the hate for poors is more easily disguised in other nations
who have not blacks.

Perseus

Syamsu

Apr 7, 2012, 5:10:51 PM4/7/12
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:3rr#The_three-revert_rule- Hide quoted text -

You thug, the status quo was that the entry was in there. Then you
fucking asshole deleted it without any specific argument. The citation
of Ockham was invalid you said. How was it invalid, how should "know
and prove" contrasted with "faith and revelation" be interpreted then,
if not objective subjective? You contributed nothing to talk, nothing
at all, only vacuous appeals to wiki rules saying it was wrong,
because it is wrong.

What was most absurd is that at one point you deleted the entry
because you thought it MIGHT violate a wiki rule eventhough you openly
admitted you had not verified that it did violate that rule. Hey I am
going to delete that entry that basicly stood there for months in
agreement, because maybe it violates wiki rules. What a fucking
asshole you are, manipulating rules to serve your prejudices.

And then after that Pfhorrest lied that the subjective objective
distinction was not in the original entry, that it was totally new,
and that the entry should be newly assessed. Then Pfhorrest said that
Ockham talking about how knowledge about the soul is arrived at does
not address agency in free will, eventhough in Ockham's writings the
soul is the agent which decides. Ridiculous lying to sabotage the
entry, disregard of wiki rules to allow differing opinions when a
subject is controversial.

Garamond simply does not want the opinion that the agency in a choice
is subjectively identified in the wiki, and he lies, and lies to
achieve this goal, which he has.

Perseus

Apr 7, 2012, 5:44:37 PM4/7/12
this love, hate, god, and others, are a matter of culture. It is
something similar to language that is an objective and arbitrary
entity. For we have this language at present, or this religion or
whatever cultural idiocy, and after some centuries of an invasion and
a different tyranny than the present, people would had changed his
language, his religion, and the concept of what are the enemies to be
hated and any other silliness.

This concept is objective if we read a little of history. In the
Roman Empire there were many different gods. There was a lot of
freedom to believe a false god, or another. Then, when Emperor
Constantine decided to declare Christianity the religion of the Empire
it took only a century or two erase all other gods. Then, when the
Islam conquered so many countries, practically the make people to
change religion in a matter of hundred years.
Something similar occurred with King Henry the VIII as he made his
kingdom independent of Rome. In much less than a couple of decades,
they had a new independent religion.
Then, it is clear this changes on the people of England were not a
matter of "free will" but a matter of a tyranny of a king to change
the religion of his subjects. Then, Henry the VIII was not totally
free in his decisions. He would not like to make so risky decision,
but he wanted to divorce his Spanish wife. If the pope would had
accepted his petition, he would had not decided to separate from the
church of Rome. But even the Pope was not free to give the divorce to
the English King, for the pope was fearing the reaction of the Spanish
Emperor that was very powerful in this time. Then this story of Henry
the VIII is a complex matter of different top dogs threatening one
another. Then, those that have more degrees of freedom are the top
dogs of society. But none of them have an adulterated free will, for
the actions of some of them can be rejected by other groups of top
dogs. Then, they only can manage some balance among the different
contenders.

Perseus

Perseus

Apr 7, 2012, 5:54:07 PM4/7/12
You should have to understand that it makes not any sense to be
changing continuously an article of the wikipedia. It is like
idiotic. Like this people had not any better thing to do that keep
changing any article each time some nuts want to change something.

Not any encyclopedia is perfect. It is a work of humans. Then, if
you read the Catholic encyclopedia this is in accord with their own
dogma. And the encyclopedia of the Republicans of the US must be full
of their own brand of shit.

What is your problem? The wiki pedia looks to liberal, or too
atheistic? Then you have to accept the facts and piss yourself off.
If I would had any control over this encyclopedia I would not accept
any of this conservative shit.

There is the conservipedia. Go and write your own brand of bullshit
there.

Perseus

Perseus

Apr 7, 2012, 6:12:11 PM4/7/12
The subjective opinions are not native of the mind of any human
being. They had been inserted in the mind of people by some external
agents, than can be described as cultural or religious authorities.

Then, it has not any sense to put in the same level the subjective
opinions with the rational ones. Rational opinions can be also wrong,
like religious opinions, but they are the result of a process of
reasoning.
While the religious truths are merely pragmatic impositions of a
tyranny. We are Christians, because a Roman Emperor decided to make
Christianity the religion of the State. Similarly, in some other
countries, people are Muslim because some conquerors imposed this
religion.

All these religions are the result of some actions of a tyranny over a
given population.
In a natural context, people would have quit a lot of different gods,
and goddesses.
And a minority of rational beings would dare to say they do not
believe in of those gods, for they were all false.

Then, in any encyclopedia, rule those that are in control. I would
not consult the wikipedia if I would be sure it is a conservative
biased one.
If I want to consult a conservative encyclopedia I will look for one
that would be conservative.

Perseus

Boikat

Apr 7, 2012, 6:07:37 PM4/7/12
On Apr 7, 4:10 pm, Syamsu <nando_rontel...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 7, 10:37 pm, Garamond Lethe <cartographi...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > > Go fuck yourself lying scum
>
> >  23:34, 6 April 2012‎ Syamsu (talk | contribs)‎ . . (95,352 bytes) (+1,493)‎
> >  17:22, 6 April 2012‎ Syamsu (talk | contribs)‎ . . (95,352 bytes) (+1,493)
> >  12:53, 6 April 2012‎ Syamsu (talk | contribs)‎ . . (95,334 bytes) (+1,507)
> >  12:39, 6 April 2012‎ Syamsu (talk | contribs)‎ . . (95,334 bytes) (+1,507)‎
> >  09:38, 6 April 2012‎ Syamsu (talk | contribs)‎ . . (95,334 bytes) (+1,507)‎
> >  08:41, 6 April 2012‎ Syamsu (talk | contribs)‎ . . (95,349 bytes) (+1,518)‎
> >  21:22, 5 April 2012‎ Syamsu (talk | contribs)‎ . . (95,880 bytes) (+2,049)‎
>
> > Taken from:http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Free_will&action=history
>
> > "An editor must not perform more than three reverts on a single page
> > within a 24-hour period."
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:3rr#The_three-revert_rule-Hide quoted text -

<snip>
> Garamond simply does not want the opinion that the agency in a choice
> is subjectively identified in the wiki,

You do understand that "subjectively identified" has little, if any,
useful meaning?

> and he lies, and lies to
> achieve this goal, which he has.

From the sound of it, his goal was to insure the objective integrity
of the Free Will wiki, rather then let some loony-tune pollute it with
inane blathercrap.

Boikat

hersheyh

Apr 7, 2012, 6:39:58 PM4/7/12
On Saturday, April 7, 2012 12:46:36 AM UTC-4, Michael Siemon wrote:
> In article <s-Wdnajjdtf...@giganews.com>,
> Garamond Lethe <cartogr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 20:50:41 -0700, Michael Siemon wrote:

> > > His free will? :-)
> >
> > You have the makings of an interesting argument there. Atheistic,
> > materialistic evolution tends to (over sufficient amounts of time)
> > optimize the decision making process. We can only reassure ourselves
> > that we still possess freedom and free will by making really stupid,
> > inexplicable decisions over and over again.
>
> I'm not at all sure that your conclusion (that evolution optimizes
> the decision making process) is a sustainable argument.

In fact, evolution optimizes the reproductive process, often against the
logical conclusions of a rational decision making process. ;-)

Mark Isaak

Apr 7, 2012, 6:47:17 PM4/7/12
On 4/7/12 9:33 AM, Syamsu wrote:
> [bulk snip]
>
> And the judges said
> that I didn't try to reach consensus, which is a lie. I did talk for
> many pages, many pages of talk were deleted.

Talking for many pages does not constitute trying to reach a consensus.
In fact, it sounds rather contrary to consensus-building.

Did you try listening? That would qualify towards reaching a consensus.
Frankly, though, I don't think your will is free enough to let you do it.

--
Mark Isaak eciton (at) curioustaxonomy (dot) net
"It is certain, from experience, that the smallest grain of natural

Earle Jones

Apr 7, 2012, 7:01:29 PM4/7/12
In article
<nando-bb1489e9-fa52-4...@dc2g2000vbb.googlegroups.com
Syamsu <nando_r...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The evolutionist thugs have succeeded in surpression of Ockham and
> Reid's opinion that the agency in free will can only be identified
> through faith and revelation. No way no how does any evolutionist have
> any standing to appeal to Ockham or Reid again, and countless other
> libertarian philosophers who say the same sort of thing. By failing to
> acknowledge this particular opinion of them, the core of everything
> they said is gutted.

*
Everything?

Even if they say it might rain tomorrow?

I hope you realize that a man that is 100% wrong is just as valuable as
a man that is 100% right.

It's all of you in between that screw thing up.

earle
*

"Everyone should believe in something,
And I believe I'll have a drink."

--W. C. Fields

Perseus

Apr 7, 2012, 7:03:44 PM4/7/12
If you want to kill me for what I was saying, this is a prove of how
much you care and respect my "wrong idea" that free will does not
exist. So, you do not not feel respect for someone that do not share
your own ideas?

I never imagined that I should kill anyone for being a Christian, a
Muslim, Hindu, or whatever. I could not care less what he believes.
But I would be watching for religious freaks were prone to fanaticism,
as you yourself pointed declaring a should be shot for not believing
in free will.

That the US is in favor of free will is a fallacy. Only the US
government so far, is in favor of letting people to believe any fake
religions he would fancy. But in general, half the American people is
not defending free will at all.
Half the US people is under a peculiar religious tyranny or other;
that can produce the impression of a free choice. But this is a
delusional appearance.

If you are living among Catholics you are being pressured to remain a
catholic. If you declare to believe other religion they would kick
you out from them. They would not talk anymore to you. The same is
valid for other religions. If you are a Muslim, you would be accepted
only by Muslims, but not by others.

Due to the existence of this mixture of religions, US can give an
impression of freedom. But you are not free to change. If you are an
Evangelist and you change to being a Muslim, all your former relatives
and friends would reject any relations with you and would not talk to
you any more. You will cease to exist for them. You will be declared
a de facto an enemy of them.
Then same is true otherwise. If you abandone the Muslim faith to
become any brand of Christian, you would be rejected and hated by your
former brothers in the faith.

So, none of this is a prove of freedom, or does not prove you have any
believe on free will.
If religious freaks would had been true believers on free will, they
would not had blinked it you tell them "I changed my faith; I am not
not any more a Muslim, but a Southern Baptist." They would not chase
you out of their midst and would had accepted you change of faith as
something natural or insignificant and banal.
But this does not occurs, for you are "de fact" enemies, one of the
other.
The different religions are not in a state of permanent war, because
there is an state above them all that forbade the to make wars.
I do not need to prove how precarious is this state of peace among the
different religions.

Then, the US is a believer in free will? this is false. That
religion..... (put here the name), is in favor of free will? False.
Only to let come other people to their own side, not to let them go
away.
Other questions are the communist regimes persecuted the religious
freaks, for they were trying to make uniform the believes of people
under their own tyranny. But this is not different of what was made
by Christians when Emperor Constantin declared Christianity religion
of the empire. The same can be said, of when the protestants rebelled
against the rule of Rome, or when Henry the VIII declared himself head
of the Church of England. They all forbade other religions under his
rule. Then the communist made a new religion, and call it
"communism". They had they own new gods and prophets. So it was a
new religion. If they were true atheists, they would not mind that
people had some superstitions or other. But the communist leaders
wanted to impose their own brand of bullshit on the people they were
ruling. They were forcing people to believe in the religion of the
state. This was not anything new in History. The Muslims also made
this.

Perseus

Perseus

Earle Jones

Apr 7, 2012, 7:08:18 PM4/7/12
In article
<nando-515d8a77-4745-4...@m13g2000yqi.googlegroups.com
> [...]

> nation, where a group of religious people take care of the motivation,
> and another elitist group consumes the motivation without grattitude
> towards religionists. The USA identity should therefore be destroyed,
> or it will degenerate into a machine sucking the life out of people.
> Americans should not identify themselves as Americans, but they should
> think of themselves as Christian etc. or any other identity except
> American. The American identity is compromised by parasites. The
> simple method of destruction is to hate the USA, so as that the
> parasites will have nothing to feed on. To subjectively reach the
> conclusion that the USA is no good. A darwinist would deny this
> opinion with statistics about the USA, saying we are forced to
> conclude that the USA is a good nation. But exactly this denying
> freedom of expressing subjective opinion is what makes the USA

I would think that you are preaching hate and that would get you banned
forever from this group. It is not possible that you could ever
contribute anything. If I were moderator, your skinny ass would be out
of here.

earle
*

Earle Jones

Apr 7, 2012, 7:12:03 PM4/7/12
In article
<63225e24-bf4c-4ded...@dc2g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
*
In fact, we are all born atheists. That is, a newborn baby has no
belief in any "God". It is only later that he is infected with the
impossible fantasies of older folks. If your parents are Muslim, you
believe Allah because that was your indoctrination.

Indoctrination is not knowledge.

Some of us (Einstein at age 12 and me at 18) had the good fortune and
education to overcome that indoctrination.

earle
*

Syamsu

Apr 7, 2012, 7:59:23 PM4/7/12
> > >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:3rr#The_three-revert_rule-Hidequoted text -
>
> <snip>
> > Garamond simply does not want the opinion that the agency in a choice
> > is subjectively identified in the wiki,
>
> You do understand that "subjectively identified" has little, if any,
> useful meaning?

It is very useful for identifying you as the owner of your choices as
a fucking asshole.

> > and he lies, and lies to
> > achieve this goal, which he has.
>
> From the sound of it, his goal was to insure the objective integrity
> of the Free Will wiki, rather then let some loony-tune pollute it with
> inane blathercrap.

Indeed, "the sound of it" is how you fuckers argue about things. It
looks like, it appears, and the sound of it, they never grasp any
specifics. Like what Ockham and Reid actually meant, that is phrased
by Pfhorrest as "something or other to do with souls" not apparently
relevant to free will. The soul which decides, but nothing apparently
relevant to free will.

The goal from the outset was to get rid of the validation of
subjective opinion as being relevant to the agency in free will. You,
like Darwin in his book about emotions, treat love and hate as matters
of objective fact, a matter of scientific fact. And gee, now
evolutionists want to change the system of justice to discount free
will, and at the same time they pretend that evolution theory has no
baring on what ought and what ought not.

Syamsu

Apr 7, 2012, 8:21:56 PM4/7/12
On Apr 8, 1:12 am, Earle Jones <earle.jo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> In article
> <63225e24-bf4c-4ded-a22a-3817a6404...@dc2g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
Except ofcourse you did not just throw faith in God out the window,
you made love and hate into issues of fact, and thereby threw all
subjective opinion out the window. Earle simply does not entertain any
truly subjective opinion whatever, any emotion he has is despite his
beliefs.

Syamsu

Apr 7, 2012, 8:41:32 PM4/7/12
On Apr 8, 12:47 am, Mark Isaak <eci...@curioustaxonomyNOSPAM.net>
wrote:
> On 4/7/12 9:33 AM, Syamsu wrote:
>
> > [bulk snip]
>
> >   And the judges said
> > that I didn't try to reach consensus, which is a lie.  I did talk for
> > many pages, many pages of talk were deleted.
>
> Talking for many pages does not constitute trying to reach a consensus.
>   In fact, it sounds rather contrary to consensus-building.
>
> Did you try listening?  That would qualify towards reaching a consensus.
>   Frankly, though, I don't think your will is free enough to let you do it.

Sufficient evidence to judge the issue is easily available on the talk
page

Pfhorrest
" if they said anything about "how the agency in a choice is
identified", that would be relevant. But they don't. They speak only
of how we might know about souls."

See, Ockham and Reid didn't use the word agency, they used the word
soul, although ofcourse they both understood the soul to be the agency
which decides. This is after many pages of explaining how things work,
many pages of which are deleted from the talk. Anybody in their right
might can see in an instant that the citations are valid to the point
at issue of the way the agency in a choice is identified. But they are
liars, they will not allow that some things can only be established
with subjective opinion.

The dual categories are generic representations which can be found
througout creationist literature of libertarians. But according to
Garamond Lethe this is the original invention of Mohammad Nor Syamsu.
Totally fucking ridiculous lying. The proof that all you evolutionists
are liars is the libertarian section on the free will wiki, where the
mention that categorically only subjective opinion is valid to address
agency is missing.

Another proof that evolutionists are habitual liars is the section on
Hitler in the talk.origins faq, where Mark Isaak explains the history
of the holocaust in a way that completely exonorates Darwinists and
Darwinism.

Pfhorrest:
You evidently aren't listening closely to what the concerns are, since
you clearly do not understand them. The passages you are citing to
back up your material say nothing about agency or free will. That is
the irrelevancy; if they said anything about "how the agency in a
choice is identified", that would be relevant. But they don't. They
speak only of how we might know about souls. That some people believe
souls are the source of free will is relevant, and already noted.
Further information about souls belongs in the article about them. If
you had passages supporting something like your earlier contribution,
to the extent of "evidence of free will would deny free will", that
would be relevant, but that's not what your cited passages say.
I state again, you need several things together to warrant the
inclusion of something in the article, among them:
1.It must be clear
2.It must be relevant
3.It must be neutral
4.It must be verifiable
You were, at one point, adding something which met 1, 2, and 3 there,
after much back-and-forth with me. It did not meet point 4 yet, but I
let it stand anyway pending eventual verification.
Now you have expanded that to something which is not phrased very
clearly, relevantly, or neutrally, and others have challenged its
inclusion on the grounds of point 4, verifiability. Since you do have
cited passages, something is verifiable: but it is not what you keep
adding to the article, and what is verifiable, when stated clearly, is
not clearly relevant to this article, as outlined above.
Address this: Your quoted passage says "we can have no knowledge of an
immaterial soul; nor can we prove its existence philosophically.
Instead we must rely on revealed truth and faith" and "Reid staunchly
refuses to speculate on the substance of the self,...he describes
souls as beings of a quite different Nature than material bodies". How
do those serve to support any statement about free will?
If you continue to staunchly refuse to address other editor's concerns
and flagrantly edit war after several previous warnings, I'm going to
have to call a WP:RFC/U about you. If you want the rest of us banned
so badly, maybe you should call one of your own, but beware the
attention it will bring on yourself.
--Pfhorrest (talk) 09:24, 6 April 2012 (UTC)

The entry:
Accounts of libertarianism subdivide into non-physical theories and
physical or naturalistic theories. Non-physical theories hold that the
events in the brain that lead to the performance of actions do not
have an entirely physical explanation, which requires that the world
is not closed under physics. Such interactionist dualists believe that
some non-physical mind, will, or soul overrides physical causality. In
the dual categories the physical is established to exist by objective
measurement, and the non-physical agency is identified through
subjective opinion, requiring a choice on the part of the observer
(samelike beauty is categoricaly a matter of subjective opinion). [1]
[2]

Dualism The agency in a choice, such as love, hate, God, is
subjectively identified resulting in an opinion. What is chosen, such
as the body, is objectively measured resulting in a fact.

agency in a choice - what is chosen
subjectively identified - objectively measured
non-physical - physical
spiritual - material
soul - body
opinion - fact
God love hate self etc. -
creator - creation

Syamsu

Apr 7, 2012, 8:45:57 PM4/7/12
On Apr 8, 1:08 am, Earle Jones <earle.jo...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I would think that you are preaching hate and that would get you banned
> forever from this group.  It is not possible that you could ever
> contribute anything.  If I were moderator, your skinny ass would be out
> of here.

You have the moral standing of commodore 64, since you trew out
subjective opinion as a valid way to identify hate, or love.

Boikat

Apr 7, 2012, 8:54:08 PM4/7/12

> > <snip>
> > > Garamond simply does not want the opinion that the agency in a choice
> > > is subjectively identified in the wiki,
>
> > You do understand that "subjectively identified" has little, if any,
> > useful meaning?
>
> It is very useful for identifying you as the owner of your choices as
> a fucking asshole.

Projection.

> > > and he lies, and lies to
> > > achieve this goal, which he has.
>
> > From the sound of it, his goal was to insure the objective integrity
> > of the Free Will wiki, rather then let some loony-tune pollute it with
> > inane blathercrap.
>
> Indeed, "the sound of it" is how you fuckers argue about things.

Considering you rant nonsense, "sounds like" is the best anyone can do
with your insane rants.

> It
> looks like, it appears, and the sound of it, they never grasp any
> specifics.

Okay, specifically, how does a rock make a choice, and act upon it?

> Like what Ockham and Reid actually meant, that is phrased
> by Pfhorrest as "something or other to do with souls" not apparently
> relevant to free will. The soul which decides, but nothing apparently
> relevant to free will.

What soul? Evidence?

> The goal from the outset was to get rid of the validation of
> subjective opinion as being relevant to the agency in free will.

That's because thee is no way to "validate a subjective opinion",
fool.

> You,
> like Darwin in his book about emotions, treat love and hate as matters
> of objective fact, a matter of scientific fact.

Once more, it is a fact that those emotions exist. Once can only
wonder why that gets your panties in a knot.

> And gee, now
> evolutionists want to change the system of justice to discount free
> will, and at the same time they pretend that evolution theory has no
> baring on what ought and what ought not.

More blathercrap.

Boikat

Boikat

Apr 7, 2012, 8:56:55 PM4/7/12
How do you "validate a subjective opinion"?

Boikat

Syamsu

Apr 7, 2012, 8:57:31 PM4/7/12
On Apr 8, 1:03 am, Perseus <leopoldo.perd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you want to kill me for what I was saying, this is a prove of how
> much you care and respect my "wrong idea" that free will does not
> exist.  So, you do not not feel respect for someone that do not share
> your own ideas?

Your ideas are horseshit, and the indication is that people who don't
believe in free will are agressive, anti-social and cheaters. Not just
with nazism and communism, also generally all people who don't accept
the fact free will is real. You can read that on the free will wiki,
scientific psychology research shows you to be basically a bullshit
fucking asshole, and your postings show that this scientific research
must be true.

Syamsu

Apr 7, 2012, 9:10:21 PM4/7/12
Say it again a few more times, with scientific certitude, it is a fact
that love exists, and you have killed your own emotions. Because then
you are telling your brain, it doesn't need freedom to deal with love,
you are telling your brain it only needs to calculate and measure
about love. The brain can go both ways, it can do tasks with freedom,
and automatically, and you put it on automatic concerning this issue.
And with freedom gone in relation to love, then your emotions are gone
with it.

Walter Bushell

Apr 7, 2012, 10:35:55 PM4/7/12
In article <s-Wdnajjdtf...@giganews.com>,
Garamond Lethe <cartogr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You have the makings of an interesting argument there. Atheistic,
> materialistic evolution tends to (over sufficient amounts of time)
> optimize the decision making process. We can only reassure ourselves
> that we still possess freedom and free will by making really stupid,
> inexplicable decisions over and over again.

I resemble that remark. :(

--
This space unintentionally left blank.

Walter Bushell

Apr 7, 2012, 10:38:33 PM4/7/12
In article
<mlsiemon-0FE142...@c-61-68-245-199.per.connect.net.au>,
Michael Siemon <mlsi...@sonic.net> wrote:
<snip>

> I'm not at all sure that your conclusion (that evolution optimizes
> the decision making process) is a sustainable argument. Certainly,
> human history seems to suggest otherwise. Particularly current USA
> human history [over the two generations of my lifespan], IMHO...

What works for hunter gatherers is not likely to work for members of a
highly technological state level society in competition with other
highly technological state level societies.

Kleuskes & Moos

Apr 8, 2012, 4:51:44 AM4/8/12
Preferably, you go to a local watering hole and get some friends to
acknowledge you're right. If need be, you just tell yourself you're right.

See http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2012/04/08

____________________________________
< I'm ANN LANDERS!! I can SHOPLIFT!! >
------------------------------------
\
\
___
{~._.~}
( Y )
()~*~()
(_)-(_)

Boikat

Apr 8, 2012, 12:54:35 PM4/8/12
On Apr 7, 8:10 pm, Syamsu <nando_rontel...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 2:54 am, Boikat <boi...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> > On Apr 7, 6:59 pm, Syamsu <nando_rontel...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > You,
> > > like Darwin in his book about emotions, treat love and hate as matters
> > > of objective fact, a matter of scientific fact.
>
> > Once more, it is a fact that those emotions exist. Once can only
> > wonder why that gets your panties in a knot.
>
> Say it again a few more times, with scientific certitude, it is a fact
> that love exists, and you have killed your own emotions.

How does acknowledign the existane of love "kill" emotions?

> Because then
> you are telling your brain, it doesn't need freedom to deal with love,

Is there some sort of logic behind that claim? If so, where is it?

> you are telling your brain it only needs to calculate and measure
> about love.

What a strange assertion.

> The brain can go both ways, it can do tasks with freedom,
> and automatically, and you put it on automatic concerning this issue.

What issue?

> And with freedom gone in relation to love, then your emotions are gone
> with it.

Just because you are emotionally unstable because of your obsessive
compulsive dementia does not mean everyone else is.

Boikat

Mitchell Coffey

Apr 8, 2012, 3:21:02 PM4/8/12
On Apr 7, 12:46 am, Michael Siemon <mlsie...@sonic.net> wrote:
> In article <s-WdnajjdtfUIOLS4p2d...@giganews.com>,
>  Garamond Lethe <cartographi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 20:50:41 -0700, Michael Siemon wrote:

> > > His free will? :-)
>
> > You have the makings of an interesting argument there.  Atheistic,
> > materialistic evolution tends to (over sufficient amounts of time)
> > optimize the decision making process.  We can only reassure ourselves
> > that we still possess freedom and free will by making really stupid,
> > inexplicable decisions over and over again.
>
> I'm not at all sure that your conclusion (that evolution optimizes
> the decision making process) is a sustainable argument. Certainly,
> human history seems to suggest otherwise. Particularly current USA
> human history [over the two generations of my lifespan], IMHO...

I think it means the "optimizes" in the mathematical sense, not the
practical sense.

Mitchell

Craig Franck

Apr 8, 2012, 3:43:37 PM4/8/12
On 4/7/2012 2:21 PM, Syamsu wrote:
> On Apr 7, 7:57 pm, Craig Franck<craiglfra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 4/7/2012 12:33 PM, Syamsu wrote:
>>
>>> Why was it not valid Garamond, when Ockham did in fact use 2 different
>>> ways of understanding? He never argued anything about how the contrast
>>> in "knowing and proof" and "faith and revelation" in Ockham's writing
>>> should be interpreted if not in the way I said it should. Garamond is
>>> a liar, and he is the main person guitly for misrepresenting
>>> libertarian philosophers on the wiki on free will.
>>
>> Just because you are factually correct doesn't mean the editorial
>> guidelines do not apply to you:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_%E2%80%93_The_Missing_Manual
>
> Nonsense. Garamond et all deliberately misrepresent libertarian
> philosphers, and ban people who try to give a fair representation of
> their ideas.

My point was that if just believing one was correct exempted a
person from the rules against edit wars, Wikipedia would collapse
into anarchy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edit_War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyranny_of_the_majority

> In any case we have seen that all evolutionists discard the opinion of
> Ockham and Reid, it is now not to be found on the free will wiki,
> because of the evolutionists. That is the fact which clearly
> illustrates what evolutionists are about in their doings, trying to
> surpress and destroy knowledge about freedom, destroy religion,
> destroy subjective opinion. Basically they want everything to fit into
> the cause and effect box, they are absolutely insane in this regard.

There is always a tension between beliefs that maximize truth
and beliefs that maximize value.

Craig

Will in New Haven

Apr 8, 2012, 4:00:22 PM4/8/12
On Apr 7, 5:16 pm, Syamsu <nando_rontel...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 7, 11:05 pm, Perseus <leopoldo.perd...@gmail.com> wrote:

I can buy that, almost, but you think stones have free will. So you
are still fucking nuts.
However, I give you cred for suggesting that Perseus should be shot.
It isn't moral but it is aesthetically pleasing to read it.

--
Will in New Haven
I believe in a higher power; squared is a higher power.

Will in New Haven

Apr 8, 2012, 3:58:34 PM4/8/12
If you don't believe in free will, you are not choosing too say any of
this. If I don't have free will, it doesn't matter what I read or
think or believe. It might matter what I do but there isn't anything
that can be done about that, so it doesn't matter either.

So you should shut the fuck up.

Burkhard

Apr 8, 2012, 4:12:10 PM4/8/12
On Apr 8, 1:57 am, Syamsu <nando_rontel...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Apr 8, 1:03 am, Perseus <leopoldo.perd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If you want to kill me for what I was saying, this is a prove of how
> > much you care and respect my "wrong idea" that free will does not
> > exist.  So, you do not not feel respect for someone that do not share
> > your own ideas?
>
> Your ideas are horseshit, and the indication is that people who don't
> believe in free will are agressive, anti-social

as opposed to your peaceful, agreeable self I assume?

Burkhard

Apr 8, 2012, 4:16:26 PM4/8/12
On Apr 7, 10:16 pm, Syamsu <nando_rontel...@yahoo.com> wrote:
Must have been their manifest destiny.

Earle Jones

Apr 8, 2012, 4:31:32 PM4/8/12
In article
<nando-f66e4033-1f60-4...@x17g2000vba.googlegroups.com
>,
*
What the hell does "throwing faith in God out the window" have to do
with love and hate? I still have lots of objective and subjective
opinions.

Here are some (You can decide which are obj. and which sub.):

1. Rainbows are multicolored.
2. The Giants will win the pennant this year.
3. My birth year is a prime number.
4. The sparrow killed Cock Robin (with his bow-and-arrow.)
5. I really like the lady who does my housecleaning.
6. My water fountain timer is broke.
7. I thought "March of the Penguins" was a very good movie.
8. Macintosh is better than PC.
9. I have four grandchildren.
10. The earth moves (contrary to the teachings of the Christian Bible.)

and...
for extra credit...

11. There are a lot of weird dudes on talk.origins.

earle
*

Earle Jones

Apr 8, 2012, 4:33:45 PM4/8/12
In article
<nando-93a89ab4-249a-4...@h5g2000vbx.googlegroups.com>
,
*
I resent your insults about my moral standing!

I have the moral standing way beyond the Commodore 64.

At least the Apple ][ and possibly even the 128K Mac.

earle
*

Will in New Haven

Apr 8, 2012, 4:03:28 PM4/8/12
How can it matter what he wants if he doesn't have free will? For that
matter, how could he be justly punished if he did kill you?

this is a prove of how

"This is a prove"

Is language your first language?

--
Will in New Haven
I believe in a higher power; squared is a higher power

Earle Jones

Apr 8, 2012, 4:38:19 PM4/8/12
In article
<4ae752ca-593f-4839...@n5g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>,
*
Evolution produces the adequate, not the optimum.

earle
*

Syamsu

Apr 8, 2012, 5:16:56 PM4/8/12
On Apr 8, 9:43 pm, Craig Franck <craiglfra...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My point was that if just believing one was correct exempted a
> person from the rules against edit wars, Wikipedia would collapse
> into anarchy.

It was Garamond et al who violated wiki rules, for surpressing an
opinion they don't like. They never tried to reach consensus, they
never argued specifics, they deleted the entry with meaningless
appeals to wiki rules.

The obvious fact is that the citation of Ockham and Reid is valid.
They never argued what then Ockham and Reid did mean if not
objective / subjective. There was only blindsiding that they were
never going to let the subjective objective distinction in there,
because they didn't like the opinion of Ockham and Reid that agency is
categorically a subjective issue.

And now the libertarian section is a lie, designed to make
libertarians look like people fantasizing about soul and fairies,
instead of that libertarians are portrayed as taking subjective
opinions seriously.

And you too let this lie stand, because you also don't like the
opinion of Ockham and Reid. No evolutionist likes the opinion that
some things are categorically matters of subjective opinion, because
Darwin treated love and hate as matters of objective fact. To admit it
would mean to say that Darwin was a social darwinist, that social
darwinism was popularized mainly through Darwin.

Syamsu

Apr 8, 2012, 5:02:00 PM4/8/12
On Apr 8, 10:31 pm, Earle Jones <earle.jo...@comcast.net> wrote:
> In article
> <nando-f66e4033-1f60-4363-ba22-7f5c17251...@x17g2000vba.googlegroups.com
You call electro-brain-chemicals whatever subjectivity, and at the
same time you also say that you can objectively establish the electro-
chemical brain whatever to exist. This means for you subjectivity is
merely a special subset of objectivity, for you objective =
subjective.

Garamond Lethe

Apr 8, 2012, 5:59:07 PM4/8/12
No, I don't think I'd agree with that. I'd go for "local optima",
perhaps, and if the changes in population affects the objective function
then you're chasing a moving local optimum, but nonetheless evolution is
an optimizing function.

That's a very different (and much more limited) statement than "evolution
produces optimal solutions", which is the case only for a highly
constrained set of toy problems.

(My original comment was meant to be taken mostly, if but not wholly in
jest. But this is t.o., so I'm happy to spend six weeks and several
hundred posts defending that position regardless.... <grin> )

> earle *

Garamond Lethe

Apr 8, 2012, 6:16:11 PM4/8/12
On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 14:16:56 -0700, Syamsu wrote:

> On Apr 8, 9:43 pm, Craig Franck <craiglfra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My point was that if just believing one was correct exempted a person
>> from the rules against edit wars, Wikipedia would collapse into
>> anarchy.
>
> It was Garamond et al who violated wiki rules, for surpressing an
> opinion they don't like.

Here are several classes of opinion that I'm allowed to suppress on
wikipedia (you can suppress these as well).

1) Original opinions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:OR

2) Synthesis of published material that advances an opinion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Wikipedia:Syn#Synthesis_of_published_material_that_advances_a_position

3) Fringe opinions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Fringe

4) Opinions given undue weight
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Undue#Undue_weight

5) Opinions without reliable sources
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Rs

Your edits fell afoul of all of these.

> They never tried to reach consensus,

On the contrary, I was able to reach a consensus with every editor there
that your edits were inappropriate. Granted, you did most of my work for
me.

> they never
> argued specifics,

I have said that the Ockham passage quoted supports something, but that
that something is not what keeps getting added to the article, and that
that something is not relevant to the article anyway.
Imagine a conversation, here:

User: Hey Wiki, tell me something about Free Will.

Wiki: William of Ockham believes that the agent of free will can only be
known about by faith, which is a practical exercise of free will. Look,
here's a quote...

User: That quote doesn't say anything about free will, it only says
something about souls.

Wiki: Ok, well Ockham believes that souls can only be known about by
faith.

User: O....k, that's an interesting thing about what someone believes
about souls, but I didn't ask about souls, I asked about free will.

Wiki: Some people believe that the soul is what gives people free will.

User: Oh ok, that's an interesting thing about free will.

Wiki: And Ockham believes that souls can only be known about by faith...

User: Alright, alright, a lot of people believe a lot of things about
souls, I'm sure. If I'm curious about souls, I'll ask. Just tell me about
free will for now.

Wiki: But some people believe that the soul is what gives people free
will...

User: You said that already.

Wiki: And it's obviously true!

User: It's not like you to say something like that, Wiki.

Wiki: And Ockham believes that it can only be known about by faith...

User: Do you have a point about free will to make here?

Wiki: That the agent of free will can only be known about by faith, which
is a practical exercise of free will. Look, here's a quote...

User: We've had this conversation already.

Relevancy is not a "minor point". I'm tired of being too nice about this,
when you keep citing me in support of you. Let me be clear: I do not
support the addition of this material to this article. It does not say
the same thing that its citation would support, and even if it did, that
would not be relevant in this article. --Pfhorrest (talk) 01:01, 1 April
2012 (UTC)

> they deleted the entry with meaningless appeals to
> wiki rules.

I can't say if they were meaningless or not, but they were pretty damn
effective.

> The obvious fact is that the citation of Ockham and Reid is valid.

And that is the whole of your argument. Despite several thousand words
you couldn't convince anyone else that you were correct. One hypothesis
is that we're all part of an evolutionary cabal trying to suppress your
opinions, even though we know they're right. Another hypothesis is that
you're trivially wrong.

Ockham provided a method to evaluate competing hypotheses such as these.
Using the principle of Ockham's razor we should assume you're wrong.

Syamsu

Apr 8, 2012, 6:08:56 PM4/8/12
On Apr 8, 11:59 pm, Garamond Lethe <cartographi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 13:38:19 -0700, Earle Jones wrote:
> > In article
> > <4ae752ca-593f-4839-8e3b-65b2e0c57...@n5g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>,
You're a liar Garamond, you need to fuck off.

Mark Isaak

Apr 8, 2012, 6:58:38 PM4/8/12
On 4/7/12 5:41 PM, Syamsu wrote:
> On Apr 8, 12:47 am, Mark Isaak<eci...@curioustaxonomyNOSPAM.net>
> wrote:
>> On 4/7/12 9:33 AM, Syamsu wrote:
>>
>>> [bulk snip]
>>
>>> And the judges said
>>> that I didn't try to reach consensus, which is a lie. I did talk for
>>> many pages, many pages of talk were deleted.
>>
>> Talking for many pages does not constitute trying to reach a consensus.
>> In fact, it sounds rather contrary to consensus-building.
>>
>> Did you try listening? That would qualify towards reaching a consensus.
>> Frankly, though, I don't think your will is free enough to let you do it.
>>

> Sufficient evidence to judge the issue is easily available on the talk
> page

That's what I thought. You did not, and still don't.

--
Mark Isaak eciton (at) curioustaxonomy (dot) net
"It is certain, from experience, that the smallest grain of natural
honesty and benevolence has more effect on men's conduct, than the most
pompous views suggested by theological theories and systems." - D. Hume

Syamsu

Apr 8, 2012, 7:28:32 PM4/8/12
On Apr 9, 12:58 am, Mark Isaak <eci...@curioustaxonomyNOSPAM.net>
wrote:
> On 4/7/12 5:41 PM, Syamsu wrote:
>

> > On Apr 8, 12:47 am, Mark Isaak<eci...@curioustaxonomyNOSPAM.net>
> > wrote:

> >> Talking for many pages does not constitute trying to reach a consensus.
> >>    In fact, it sounds rather contrary to consensus-building.
>
> >> Did you try listening?  That would qualify towards reaching a consensus.
> >>    Frankly, though, I don't think your will is free enough to let you do it.
>
> > Sufficient evidence to judge the issue is easily available on the talk
> > page
>
> That's what I thought.  You did not, and still don't.

You are lying about the holocaust in your reply to creationist claims
book. You also lie about what Ockham believes, specifically that he
categorically takes some issues to be objective fact, and other issues
matters of subjective opinion. Your 2 lies are related. Ockham shows
that Darwin was wrong to objectify love and hate, that Darwin
committed the naturalistic fallacy himself, that his books are
inherently social darwinist, deriving ought and ought not from natural
selection theory. Ockham shows that the overwhelming majority of
evolutionists currently are social darwinists for objectifying love
and hate.

Syamsu

Apr 8, 2012, 7:52:44 PM4/8/12
On Apr 9, 12:16 am, Garamond Lethe <cartographi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have said that the Ockham passage quoted supports something, but that
> that something is not what keeps getting added to the article, and that
> that something is not relevant to the article anyway.
> Imagine a conversation, here:

So Ockham said "something".

It is obvious that you are a ridiculous fucking lying asshole
Garamond, when you interpret Ockham's writing with "something". It
means you don't admit the truth of what Ockham says.

> And that is the whole of your argument.  Despite several thousand words
> you couldn't convince anyone else that you were correct.  One hypothesis
> is that we're all part of an evolutionary cabal trying to suppress your
> opinions, even though we know they're right.  Another hypothesis is that
> you're trivially wrong.

More fucking lying of Garamond. I convinced Pfhorrest the subjective /
objective distinction was right in the pages deleted. Pfhorrest
referenced Reid as one libertarian who supposedly said the extra-
physical will was a matter of fact. I looked up Reid, Pfhorrest was
wrong, Reid refused to speculate on the soul. Through this fault of
his he let up on his groundless opposition a bit, and then the
subjective objective distinction was in the wiki and stood there for
months. Now Pfhorrest says he never was wrong.

> Ockham provided a method to evaluate competing hypotheses such as these.
> Using the principle of Ockham's razor we should assume you're wrong.

You dare much to reference Ockham now that you deliberately omitted
his opinion from the free will wiki. That's twisted.

Craig Franck

Apr 8, 2012, 9:16:14 PM4/8/12
On 4/8/2012 5:16 PM, Syamsu wrote:
> On Apr 8, 9:43 pm, Craig Franck<craiglfra...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My point was that if just believing one was correct exempted a
>> person from the rules against edit wars, Wikipedia would collapse
>> into anarchy.
>
> It was Garamond et al who violated wiki rules, for surpressing an
> opinion they don't like. They never tried to reach consensus, they
> never argued specifics, they deleted the entry with meaningless
> appeals to wiki rules.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of this particular conflict.

I have noticed that unpopular opinions require more justification
than popular ones, but that is a general cognitive bias.

> The obvious fact is that the citation of Ockham and Reid is valid.
> They never argued what then Ockham and Reid did mean if not
> objective / subjective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarianism_(metaphysics)

states

"Some metaphysical libertarians, such as William of Ockham and Thomas
Reid, believe that the existence or nonexistence of a nonphysical agent
cannot be established by empirical or philosophical evidence, because
evidence forces a conclusion, destroying the freedom necessary in
reaching a belief about the agent.[clarification needed] The decisions
and alternatives are taken to be matters of fact, but the agent is
considered a matter of free belief. While such metaphysical libertarians
believe people have a soul containing love[clarification needed] which
does the job of choosing, it would not be inconsistent with their
philosophy to say that people don't have a soul, provided one arrives at
the conclusion in a free way. For example one might express a feeling of
emptiness in regards to an agent doing the choosing[citation needed]"

Perhaps you could have put your time and effort into improving
this article instead.

> There was only blindsiding that they were
> never going to let the subjective objective distinction in there,
> because they didn't like the opinion of Ockham and Reid that agency is
> categorically a subjective issue.

The quote from the article on libertarianism is anything but clear.

> And now the libertarian section is a lie, designed to make
> libertarians look like people fantasizing about soul and fairies,
> instead of that libertarians are portrayed as taking subjective
> opinions seriously.

I did not get that impression.

> And you too let this lie stand, because you also don't like the
> opinion of Ockham and Reid.

That evidence destroys freedom to decide does look more than a bit
self-refuting. (Thought kills freedom! does have a nice zen ring
to it, though...)

Craig

Garamond Lethe

Apr 8, 2012, 9:24:04 PM4/8/12
On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 16:52:44 -0700, Syamsu wrote:

> On Apr 9, 12:16 am, Garamond Lethe <cartographi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I have said that the Ockham passage quoted supports something, but that
>> that something is not what keeps getting added to the article, and that
>> that something is not relevant to the article anyway.
>> Imagine a conversation, here:
>
> So Ockham said "something".

Ockham even had several things to say about free will. After you learn
how to use a search engine you'll be surprised how easy that is to track
down.

> It is obvious that you are a ridiculous fucking lying asshole Garamond,
> when you interpret Ockham's writing with "something". It means you don't
> admit the truth of what Ockham says.

Even for you, that's pretty stupid. Will you be taking the contrary
position that Ockham said "everything" or "nothing"?

>> And that is the whole of your argument.  Despite several thousand words
>> you couldn't convince anyone else that you were correct.  One
>> hypothesis is that we're all part of an evolutionary cabal trying to
>> suppress your opinions, even though we know they're right.  Another
>> hypothesis is that you're trivially wrong.
>
> More fucking lying of Garamond. I convinced Pfhorrest the subjective /
> objective distinction was right in the pages deleted. Pfhorrest
> referenced Reid as one libertarian who supposedly said the extra-
> physical will was a matter of fact. I looked up Reid, Pfhorrest was
> wrong, Reid refused to speculate on the soul. Through this fault of his
> he let up on his groundless opposition a bit, and then the subjective
> objective distinction was in the wiki and stood there for months. Now
> Pfhorrest says he never was wrong.

Why are you telling me this? Should you be taking this up with
Pfhorrest? Oh, wait, you can't....

>> Ockham provided a method to evaluate competing hypotheses such as
>> these. Using the principle of Ockham's razor we should assume you're
>> wrong.
>
> You dare much to reference Ockham now that you deliberately omitted his
> opinion from the free will wiki. That's twisted.

It's amazing what you can do when you read the people you cite. I'd tell
you to try it sometime but I only have so much optimism to get through a
day and I hate to consign that much of it to certain futility.

Garamond Lethe

Apr 8, 2012, 9:30:37 PM4/8/12
On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 21:16:14 -0400, Craig Franck wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libertarianism_(metaphysics)

That looks like there's some reverting that needs to go on there as
well. Thanks for pointing that out.

Garamond Lethe

Apr 8, 2012, 9:39:31 PM4/8/12
On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 21:16:14 -0400, Craig Franck wrote:

Reverted.

>> There was only blindsiding that they were never going to let the
>> subjective objective distinction in there, because they didn't like the
>> opinion of Ockham and Reid that agency is categorically a subjective
>> issue.
>
> The quote from the article on libertarianism is anything but clear.

That's one way of putting it, yes....

>> And now the libertarian section is a lie, designed to make libertarians
>> look like people fantasizing about soul and fairies, instead of that
>> libertarians are portrayed as taking subjective opinions seriously.
>
> I did not get that impression.
>
>> And you too let this lie stand, because you also don't like the opinion
>> of Ockham and Reid.
>
> That evidence destroys freedom to decide does look more than a bit
> self-refuting. (Thought kills freedom! does have a nice zen ring to it,
> though...)
>
> Craig

Thanks again for pointing that out.

Michael Siemon

Apr 8, 2012, 10:05:21 PM4/8/12
In article <ufudnRwY7L2...@giganews.com>,
Garamond Lethe <cartogr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> (My original comment was meant to be taken mostly, if but not wholly in
> jest. But this is t.o., so I'm happy to spend six weeks and several
> hundred posts defending that position regardless.... <grin> )

That's the spirit! :-)

Forrest Cameranesi

Apr 9, 2012, 12:15:05 AM4/9/12
In article <ufudnRoY7L2...@giganews.com>,
Garamond Lethe <cartogr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 16:52:44 -0700, Syamsu wrote:
>
> > On Apr 9, 12:16 am, Garamond Lethe <cartographi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> And that is the whole of your argument.  Despite several thousand words
> >> you couldn't convince anyone else that you were correct.  One
> >> hypothesis is that we're all part of an evolutionary cabal trying to
> >> suppress your opinions, even though we know they're right.  Another
> >> hypothesis is that you're trivially wrong.
> >
> > More fucking lying of Garamond. I convinced Pfhorrest the subjective /
> > objective distinction was right in the pages deleted. Pfhorrest
> > referenced Reid as one libertarian who supposedly said the extra-
> > physical will was a matter of fact. I looked up Reid, Pfhorrest was
> > wrong, Reid refused to speculate on the soul. Through this fault of his
> > he let up on his groundless opposition a bit, and then the subjective
> > objective distinction was in the wiki and stood there for months. Now
> > Pfhorrest says he never was wrong.
>
> Why are you telling me this? Should you be taking this up with
> Pfhorrest? Oh, wait, you can't....

Someone say my name three times? (Or a lot more, by the looks of it.)

I'm probably going to regret this... but damn, UseNet, it's been too
long! Had to bust out my creaky old MT-NewsWatcher cause I'll be damned
if I use that new fangled webby Google Groups shit kids these days are
all hopped up on.

Since everybody here is talking about me, I figured I'd come and set the
record straight. But before I start, all my cards out on the table, full
disclosure of my biases, as they may be:

-I am a philosopher (not for a living, but I do have a degree in it and
am slowly writing a book on the subject) and as such I take
dispassionate, impartial analysis and fair consideration of all
positions very seriously. So I'm not normally one to call someone a
loony, even if I do think they are a loony; instead, I'll just expose
their lunacy to the light of reason and let it adapt or whither away as
it will.

-I think the scientific method is the greatest thing ever to come out of
philosophy, and the present scientific consensus is usually the most
trustworthy default position to fall back on unless you have good
reasons to believe otherwise (in which case, you should be a scientist,
share those reasons, and establish a new consensus). I believe the
scientific method is the correct way to answer all indicative or factual
questions -- questions about reality -- BUT, that those are not the sum
total of all questions. There are also imperative or normative questions
-- questions about morality -- as well as mathematical and aesthetic
questions, and second-order questions about all of those (about what
those questions mean, what a correct answer would look like, how we can
determine correct answers, and why we should bother) -- which are beyond
the domain of science (but which may do well to emulate it in some ways).

-I believe people sometimes have free will, and moreover, that having
free will is a necessary condition for something to be a person.

-I don't believe determinism is true, though it's close enough for
macroscopic work.

-I don't believe free will is in any way dependent on determinism being
false... and in fact, it is dependent on it being at least close enough
to true. I am a compatibilist, most closely mirroring Harry Frankfurt,
though independently of his work.

-I don't see what any of this free will stuff has to do with origins,
except very tangentially from evolution via biological determinism, but
you all seem to be talking about it anyway so why the hell not.

On to the point at hand. When Syamsu first came to Wikipedia, over three
years ago, to edit the article on Free will, I thought he was a looney,
and couldn't tell what the hell he wanted to add to the article -- it
was all nonsense gibberish, and where any sense could be made, it was
biased, unencyclopedic original research.

But, see paragraph above about being nice to crazy people and giving
their opinions fair and impartial consideration. So, over several years
of discussion with him, I tried to tease out what it was that he wanted
to add.

We passed through a phrase of me thinking he wanted to say that all
metaphysical libertarians believe that the existence of free will cannot
be known, but merely take it on faith that they have free will; which is
where I brought up Reid, and someone else I don't recall at the moment,
as counterexamples of metaphysical libertarians who take the existence
of free will to be a brute fact knowable via introspection by anyone who
has it.

In discussing that point, Syamsu "clarified" (apparently not entirely)
what it was he was trying to add: something to the effect that some
metaphysical libertarians (Ockham, and Reid himself as well) believed
that the /nature of the agent which freely makes choices/ (not the
ability to make free choices at all, which was where I brought up Reid
for support) could not be known, including whether it is physical or
nonphysical to begin with, because evidence would force a decision, thus
undermining the ability to make free choices, thus disproving the
existence of free will, and of any agent of such... a contradiction to
the hypothetical premise of finding evidence of said agent, proving such
evidence impossible by reductio ad absurdum.

That's the position I thought he wanted to add, attributed to Ockham and
Reid et al, and though I certainly wouldn't agree with it, it would be
relevant to the article, and could be neutrally phrased, so I gave him a
neutral phrasing of it tagged for citation, and he accepted that and
things settled down for a few months.

At some point in that time he added citations to it, which I didn't
bother to check for whether they actually supported the claim. And he
began to expand the entry with some extraneous fluff, which once again
didn't make much sense (and where sense could be made of it was not
neutrally phrased or clearly relevant), but I had other shit to deal
with and ignored it.

Then someone (I think Garamond Lethe?) challenged the verifiability of
the entry, at which point I took a look at the citations Syamsu had
added, and found that they said nothing in support of that position.
They said things which would support a claim that Ockham and Reid do not
believe that anything can be known about the soul. That's interesting
and encyclopedic and would be worthy of brief mention in the article on
souls or maybe substance dualism. But it says nothing about free will
contradicting any evidence about the agent thereof in some
pseudo-Godelian paradox, which is what made the entry relevant to the
article on free will.

So, the entry as it stood was not well supported by its citation, and
should be removed if challenged. It could be modified to not claim more
than its citations support... but in that case it would only be talking
about souls, not about free will, and so should be removed. Souls are
tangentially related to free will, sure, but no more so (without taking
a biased position on the nature of free will) than, say, jails, or
phobias.

See, Thomas Hobbes believed a man has free will so long as he is not
imprisoned or in chains... should we then go off on the subject of what
Hobbes thinks about imprisonment, e.g. what deserves it, how to avoid
it, etc? Or is that, at most, tangentially related to free will? I mean,
if you want to have free will, by Hobbes' definition, you need to stay
out of jail, so shouldn't we talk about the details of crime and
punishment in an article about free will? No?

How about Harry Frankfurt then, who believes a man has free will (to
grossly oversimplify it) when he is not compelled by phobias, or
addictions, or compulsions, or other such psychological phenomena, which
he wishes that he were not so compelled by? Should we then go off on the
subject of what kinds of phobias and addictions people have, how to
treat them, etc? Or is that, at most, tangentially related to free will?
I mean, if you want to have free will, by Frankfurt's definition, you
need to be able to overcome your phobias and addictions etc, so
shouldn't we talk about the details of phobia and addiction in an
article about free will? No, not really.

There are other articles on those subjects. It's enough to mention in
the article on free will that Frankfurt believes phobias and addictions
have a relation to free will, and why; people can go to those articles
to read more about those subjects. Or more about crime and punishment,
after we note that Hobbes believes imprisonment is related to free will.
Or more about souls, after we note that some libertarians believe they
are related to free will.

So I told Syamsu his additions would be more relevant at an article
about souls, or substance dualism, unless he could point out how it was
more directly relevant to free will. But by this point he had begun the
tirade of "it's obvious" and "I've said enough" and "consensus is that
it's valid" and other variants of "LA LA LA I'M RIGHT I'M NOT
LISTENING", and it was only a matter of time before a ban came.

I don't know if I will continue to follow this thread, I don't really
need another time sink in my life, and there seem to be plenty of people
here to keep the crazysauce in check (a tip of the hat to you all, from
a veteran of comp.sys.mac.advocacy), but if I do, beware Syamsu: this
isn't a Wikipedia talk page, there are no admins, there is no
prohibition on debate, no mandate that discussion be about the
improvement of an article, no rules of civility... this is UseNet, no
holds barred, and I will shit whole doctoral theses at you every night
describing in excruciating detail why you are not even wrong for so long
as it entertains me, without breaking a sweat.

--
-Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."

Michael Siemon

Apr 9, 2012, 1:01:19 AM4/9/12
In article <forrest-BD8217...@news.isp.giganews.com>,
Forrest Cameranesi <for...@geekofalltrades.org> wrote:

<omitted>

You know, some of this is quite germane (and even helpful in some
measure), but _damn_ you are a self-inflated and self-important prick!
Is that because you are a Libertarian?

Garamond Lethe

Apr 9, 2012, 1:20:34 AM4/9/12
Hmmm.... I didn't read it that way at all. Might be a context thing ---
Forrest showed every courtesy to Syamsu well beyond the point were Syamsu
had left boorishness behind and was openly abusive. With that bit of
context I read it as Forrest finally being able to tell Syamsu what
Forrest thought of him without the restrictions of civility expected at
wikipedia.

[And I know whereof I speak, as I'm the assistant second secretary of the
Union of Self-Inflated and Self-Important Pricks, Local 572.]

Forrest Cameranesi

Apr 9, 2012, 2:48:24 AM4/9/12
In article <O-6dnbp1yPk...@giganews.com>,
Garamond Lethe <cartogr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 22:01:19 -0700, Michael Siemon wrote:
>
> > In article <forrest-BD8217...@news.isp.giganews.com>,
> > Forrest Cameranesi <for...@geekofalltrades.org> wrote:
> >
> > <omitted>
> >
> > You know, some of this is quite germane (and even helpful in some
> > measure), but _damn_ you are a self-inflated and self-important prick!
>
> Hmmm.... I didn't read it that way at all. Might be a context thing ---
> Forrest showed every courtesy to Syamsu well beyond the point were Syamsu
> had left boorishness behind and was openly abusive. With that bit of
> context I read it as Forrest finally being able to tell Syamsu what
> Forrest thought of him without the restrictions of civility expected at
> wikipedia.

Basically. I am condescending to Syamsu like he tried (unsuccessfully)
to do at Talk:Free_will, and that's where the self-inflation comes from.
To everyone else: hi, I'm new here, nice to meet you, etc. I don't know
any of you yet and will treat you like equals until I have reason to
respect or disrespect you otherwise (and maybe even after). And even if
I do disrespect you, my personal standards for "uncivil" are probably
higher than Syamsu's standards for "civil": you won't find me calling
anyone a "fucking liar" for instance. That last post was about as
uncivil as I get.

Also relevant is that I'm only here because people keep quoting me from
Talk:Free_will. I don't care enough about the evolution-creationism
debate to really weigh in on it for its own merits, nor enough about
Syamsu to stalk him here just for the hell of it. But if people are
going to keep bringing me up, I may as well be here. So, to the extent
that I am here only because some of this is about me, I guess some
self-importance is to be expected. But I don't expect this to be or
remain about me, and if people hadn't kept bringing me up I would have
left you all here to yourselves. I still might anyway.

> On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 22:01:19 -0700, Michael Siemon wrote:
>
> > Is that because you are a Libertarian?

I thought I was pretty clear that I was a compatibilist. Compatibilists
are not metaphysical libertarians. They don't even necessarily believe
that free will exists. Nor do they necessarily believe that determinism
is true; not all compatibilists are "soft determinists". They just
believe that one does not negate the other; that they are compatible.
Hence the name.

Metaphysical libertarians are incompatibilists who pick the "free will
therefore no determinism" side of that false dichotomy.

Garamond Lethe

Apr 9, 2012, 3:39:54 AM4/9/12
Welcome to talk.origins: the grassy spot in usenet where the dead horse
used to be. On your left you'll find Tony Pagano defending an earth-
centric universe. On your right you'll find Alan Kleinman MD PhD
persistently befuddled by the shallow end of population genetics. Ray
Martinez is our local species immutabilist and pnyikos is our
panspermitist. The rest of the horde tend to be pro-evolution and have
far too much leisure time. Do not, under any circumstances, engage in a
punning contest with Wilkins.

> Since everybody here is talking about me, I figured I'd come and set the
> record straight.

<snip lots>

Nando (as Syamsu used to call himself) has been a fixture here for a long
time. He was remarkably restrained on wikipedia --- hang out here for a
bit and you'll get to hear why stones have free will (up to and including
the moon) but machines made out of stones do not.

> I don't know if I will continue to follow this thread, I don't really
> need another time sink in my life, and there seem to be plenty of people
> here to keep the crazysauce in check (a tip of the hat to you all, from
> a veteran of comp.sys.mac.advocacy), but if I do, beware Syamsu: this
> isn't a Wikipedia talk page, there are no admins, there is no
> prohibition on debate, no mandate that discussion be about the
> improvement of an article, no rules of civility... this is UseNet, no
> holds barred, and I will shit whole doctoral theses at you every night
> describing in excruciating detail why you are not even wrong for so long
> as it entertains me, without breaking a sweat.

The phrase "killing a spider with a meat ax" comes to mind.

But since you're here you might find this a little more worthy of your
talent. "Free will" as a model is certainly useful (and insofar as
philosophy of science goes I'll take utility over truth any day of the
week). Do you think there's a stronger case to be made for free will
above and beyond utility?

And once more, thanks for the help at wikipedia.

Mark Isaak

Apr 9, 2012, 4:13:00 AM4/9/12
And yet you are the one who is making your life miserable.

John S. Wilkins

Apr 9, 2012, 5:22:09 AM4/9/12
In the category of Mensrrhea:

> this is UseNet, no
> holds barred, and I will shit whole doctoral theses at you every night
> describing in excruciating detail why you are not even wrong for so long
> as it entertains me, without breaking a sweat.

--
John S. Wilkins, Associate, Philosophy, University of Sydney
http://evolvingthoughts.net
But al be that he was a philosophre,
Yet hadde he but litel gold in cofre

Forrest Cameranesi

Apr 9, 2012, 5:34:40 AM4/9/12
In article <O-6dnbV1yPn...@giganews.com>,
Garamond Lethe <cartogr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 21:15:05 -0700, Forrest Cameranesi wrote:
>
> > I'm probably going to regret this... but damn, UseNet, it's been too
> > long! Had to bust out my creaky old MT-NewsWatcher cause I'll be damned
> > if I use that new fangled webby Google Groups shit kids these days are
> > all hopped up on.
>
> Welcome to talk.origins: the grassy spot in usenet where the dead horse
> used to be.

Rofl! Thank you.

> Do not, under any circumstances, engage in a
> punning contest with Wilkins.

Is it anything like letting a Vogon read poetry to me?

> Nando (as Syamsu used to call himself) has been a fixture here for a long
> time. He was remarkably restrained on wikipedia --- hang out here for a
> bit and you'll get to hear why stones have free will (up to and including
> the moon) but machines made out of stones do not.

I'm actually curious now. It vaguely brings to mind the views of an
actual respected philosopher, I want to say Leibniz but it's late so
don't quote me on that, about how certain collections of atoms (living
organism) counted as unified objects in their own right, whereas other
collections of atoms (e.g. rocks) were really just mere collections of
atoms and didn't deserve to be considered proper objects per se.

> > I don't know if I will continue to follow this thread, I don't really
> > need another time sink in my life, and there seem to be plenty of people
> > here to keep the crazysauce in check (a tip of the hat to you all, from
> > a veteran of comp.sys.mac.advocacy), but if I do, beware Syamsu: this
> > isn't a Wikipedia talk page, there are no admins, there is no
> > prohibition on debate, no mandate that discussion be about the
> > improvement of an article, no rules of civility... this is UseNet, no
> > holds barred, and I will shit whole doctoral theses at you every night
> > describing in excruciating detail why you are not even wrong for so long
> > as it entertains me, without breaking a sweat.
>
> The phrase "killing a spider with a meat ax" comes to mind.

There's no kill like overkill.

> But since you're here you might find this a little more worthy of your
> talent. "Free will" as a model is certainly useful (and insofar as
> philosophy of science goes I'll take utility over truth any day of the
> week). Do you think there's a stronger case to be made for free will
> above and beyond utility?

As a pragmatist, I'm not entirely certain I recognize the question as
valid: explanatory utility is truth, a biimplication between a model and
observations. (Of course, with infinite observations to be had,
definitively establishing such a biimplication is impossible, but we can
approach arbitrarily close to establishing it).

I think the interesting philosophical question regarding free will is
really what we mean by the term; what rigorously defined concept best
captures lay intuitions about it. Once we've defined what we mean by it,
seeing if and when it exists is no longer a philosophical question but a
scientific one.

I think it's been pretty well established that any concept of free will
hinging on the truth or falsity of determinism is incoherent. Random
actions are not willed actions at all and so cannot be freely willed
actions; so adding randomness to a system cannot increase the freedom of
will of agents within the system. If determination also negates freedom
of will, then at no point on the scale of randomness-vs-determination
would anyone have any more or less free will -- nobody would or could
ever possibly have any at all -- so by that concept the term does not
distinguish anything apart from anything else and is completely empty
and meaningless.

So any meaningful concept of free will must be a compatibilistic one:
one which hinges on something other than determinism to distinguish
freedom of will from the lack thereof. I think early compatibilist
proposals, such as free will being freedom from chains or imprisonment,
or free will being freedom from punishment or censure, conflate freedom
of will with other kinds of freedom -- physical freedom and
sociopolitical freedom, respectively -- and thus likewise render the
term meaningless.

The only meaningful use of the term I can see is a sense of
psychological freedom, analogous to access consciousness (the so-called
"easy problem of consciousness"): where the latter could be roughly
called self-awareness, accuracy of perceptions about one's own mental
processes, the former could be roughly called self-control, efficacy of
desires about one's own mental processes.

I don't see how the two could really be separated, for that matter: they
both boil down to reflexivity of mental processes, and together
constitute the ability to look upon oneself in the third person ("what
do I perceive, what do I desire"), judge one's mental processes as one
would another person's ("are my perceptions and desires reasonable"),
and then if necessary change those mental processes as one would
(attempt to) change another person's ("I should perceive and desire
things differently than I do"). The inclination to change them (or
rather, what we're inclined to change them to) constitutes our will: the
efficacy of that inclination in affecting the change constitutes the
freedom of that will.

The followup science (psychology) question would then be: how often, if
ever, are people's judgements of their own mental processes effective in
changing their mental processes? I'm pretty sure the answer is at least
"sometimes", and so at least sometimes people have free will in this
sense.

> And once more, thanks for the help at wikipedia.

Thank you. I'd been alone with a madman for three years before you came
along.

Syamsu

Apr 9, 2012, 6:19:40 AM4/9/12
Another fucking impressionist. What did Ockham and Reid specifically
mean in the references then liar?

was it.....SOMETHING?

Syamsu

Apr 9, 2012, 6:21:49 AM4/9/12
On Apr 9, 3:24 am, Garamond Lethe <cartographi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why are you telling me this?  Should you be taking this up with
> Pfhorrest?  Oh, wait, you can't....

It establishes you're a liar for saying I never tried to reach
consensus. You never tried to reach consensus, you make meaningless
appeals to wiki rules, and never argued how they applied.

Syamsu

Apr 9, 2012, 6:37:38 AM4/9/12
On Apr 9, 6:15 am, Forrest Cameranesi <forr...@geekofalltrades.org>
wrote:

> Then someone (I think Garamond Lethe?) challenged the verifiability of
> the entry, at which point I took a look at the citations Syamsu had
> added, and found that they said nothing in support of that position.
> They said things which would support a claim that Ockham and Reid do not
> believe that anything can be known about the soul. That's interesting
> and encyclopedic and would be worthy of brief mention in the article on
> souls or maybe substance dualism.

Obviously you are a liar as well. Clearly Ockham coupled ways of
reaching a conclusion to the duality, "prove and knowing" to material
and "faith and revelation" to the agency.

The rest of your bullshit argument shows your awful prejudiced way of
thinking. At one point Forrest thought I was an atheist activist,
because I argued Ockham also legitimized the view not to believe in
God, because Ockham made the question a matter of choice. And with the
changes of where Forrest thought I was coming from, his opinion on the
issues also changed, to less oppisition. Forrest discriminates against
people believing in God.

timoth...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2012, 6:42:41 AM4/9/12
Holy Underpants! Three philosophers in a single thread! Run for your lives!

The world is about to be submerged in polysyllables. Keep your syllogisms indoors and cover their ears. We are about to be suffer The Attack of the Rebarbative Neologisms.

Syamsu

Apr 9, 2012, 6:56:40 AM4/9/12
On Apr 9, 11:34 am, Forrest Cameranesi <forr...@geekofalltrades.org>
wrote:

> I think it's been pretty well established that any concept of free will
> hinging on the truth or falsity of determinism is incoherent. Random
> actions are not willed actions at all and so cannot be freely willed
> actions; so adding randomness to a system cannot increase the freedom of
> will of agents within the system.

That's why, IDIOT, the meaning is added to free will through
subjective opinion about the agency. Objectively we see randomness,
and subjectively we must choose to identify the agency of the choices.
You see nothing, because you chose to see nothing, you have a black
empty heart like most scienceminded atheists, while I see love and
hate in the agency.

That has been pointed out to you 10 times. This is the "something"
which Reid and Ockham refer to. You write page after page of
horseshit, and then when push comes to shove, when it's about the
citation that it is really all about, your comment is that it says
"something".

Garamond Lethe

Apr 9, 2012, 11:36:47 AM4/9/12
On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 03:21:49 -0700, Syamsu wrote:

> On Apr 9, 3:24 am, Garamond Lethe <cartographi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Why are you telling me this?  Should you be taking this up with
>> Pfhorrest?  Oh, wait, you can't....
>
> It establishes you're a liar for saying I never tried to reach
> consensus.

Could you point me to where I said you never tried to reach consensus?
You obviously did try --- just not effectively.

> You never tried to reach consensus,

And despite that I achieved consensus, although I don't want to take too
much credit here. When you come off of two bans and make eight reverts
in just over 24 hours building a consensus just isn't that hard.

> you make meaningless
> appeals to wiki rules, and never argued how they applied.

Most people can figure out that 8 > 3 without a whole lot of
argumentation.

chris thompson

Apr 9, 2012, 12:33:38 PM4/9/12
On Apr 9, 12:15 am, Forrest Cameranesi <forr...@geekofalltrades.org>
wrote:

snip

> I don't know if I will continue to follow this thread, I don't really
> need another time sink in my life, and there seem to be plenty of people
> here to keep the crazysauce in check (a tip of the hat to you all, from
> a veteran of comp.sys.mac.advocacy), but if I do, beware Syamsu: this
> isn't a Wikipedia talk page, there are no admins, there is no
> prohibition on debate, no mandate that discussion be about the
> improvement of an article, no rules of civility... this is UseNet, no
> holds barred, and I will shit whole doctoral theses at you every night
> describing in excruciating detail why you are not even wrong for so long
> as it entertains me, without breaking a sweat.
>
> --
> -Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
> "I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."http://www.geekofalltrades.org/

Welcome to t.o.

Just a quick little bit of extraneous info. This is, in fact, a
moderated newsgroup, although it's difficult to tell. The main
moderation is a robo-enforced prohibition against posting to more than
4 groups at a time, and also against cross-posting to
certain .recovery or .support groups at all (a legacy of a truly vile
loon who used to hang out here).

Other than that the moderator is a very hands-off type of guy. It
takes a lot to get him riled, but it's happened. You obviously need
not worry about the types of things that would get you banned (hate
speech, consistent off-topic posts) but just a quick heads-up.

Chris

Boikat

Apr 9, 2012, 1:05:25 PM4/9/12
Was it SOMETHING to do with rocks possessing the trait of free will
and making decisions?

Boikat

Syamsu

Apr 9, 2012, 1:32:12 PM4/9/12
Again, the issue is obvious, Ockham did couple dual ways of reaching a
conlusion to the duality, as anybody can see.

So you are all liars, all conditioned by school and university to
reach a conlusion based on evidence, and you hate the opinion of
Ockham to reach a conclusion through subjective opinion, which is why
you all seek to surpress the opinion of Ockham.

It is loading more messages.