TaintDroid can execute in AVD??

kyh1026

Nov 9, 2010, 6:07:35 AM11/9/10
to TaintDroid
Hi William.

TaintDroid is very useful for android security.

I study TaintDroid, but I have a several question and problem.... :)

I tried to step2 building TaintDroid source but I don't understand.

I make local_manifest.xml put it in ~/tdroid/tdroid-2.1_r2.1p/.repo
and try to "repo sync",

but try to "repo init" bofore repo sync.

How can I solve it???

I have no any smart phone but I can execute AVD. Is it possible
running in AVD???

thank you for reading it.

blh

Nov 10, 2010, 8:24:36 AM11/10/10
to TaintDroid
kyh1026 wrote:
> TaintDroid is very useful for android security.
>
> I have no any smart phone but I can execute AVD. Is it possible
> running in AVD???

I'm a security researcher and also interested in the possibility of
installing TaintDroid in AVD as it would be both safer and easier to
study applications that way. Please provide instructions if
possible :).

/blh

William Enck

Nov 10, 2010, 9:30:35 AM11/10/10
to taint...@googlegroups.com
You should do "repo init" before placing the local_manifest.xml file in place (from your email, it sounded like you created the file first). The steps are: repo init ; repo sync ; add local_manifest.xml ; repo sync

TaintDroid can run in the emulator (that's how it was developed).

For running TaintDroid in the emulator, follow the same basic steps, except you won't need to worry about the "vendor setup" for the Nexus One. However, if you want the "Google Applications" in your emulator, you'll need to read other howto's to accomplish that.

Some notes on the emulator:
- Use the kernel/common git repository and the "goldfish" branch (instead of kernel/msm)
- Tell the emulator to use the "portable" interpreter (I've heard reports of segfaults with the ASM "fast" interpreter in the emulator---the fast interpreter was only implemented and tested on the Nexus One). This thread sees apt (See post by "fadden". I've used the "setprop" method in the past):
-- http://groups.google.com/group/android-platform/browse_thread/thread/5b6ba9e81e17c486/b6e9a626c47fdd69
- You can use the official "emulator" binary by using it's command line arguments to specify the kernel and system images (see the output of "emulator -help"). Alternatively, it's not hard to run Android directly out of the build when you use the "lunch 1" config.

Hope that helps,
-Will

--
William Enck
PhD Candidate

김이현

Nov 10, 2010, 1:48:34 PM11/10/10
to taint...@googlegroups.com
Hi Will :)

What a nice tip it is!!!

Thank you for answer and I will try it.

Thank you very much :)

Have a nice day

malleylaw

Nov 11, 2010, 5:25:21 PM11/11/10
to TaintDroid
Congrats to those involved with the Taint Droid study. I am interested
in any apps, and their ad networks, that are potentially violating the
privacy of their users, noted in this study, or any independent
research anyones completes. Feel free to email , IN CONFIDENCE, @
mall...@gmail.com

Thanks
Joe Malley

On Nov 10, 12:48 pm, 김이현 <kyh1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Will :)
>
> What a nice tip it is!!!
>
> Thank you for answer and I will try it.
>
> Thank you very much :)
>
> Have a nice day
>
> 2010/11/10 William Enck <e...@cse.psu.edu>
>

> > You should do "repo init" before placing the local_manifest.xml file in
> > place (from your email, it sounded like you created the file first). The
> > steps are: repo init ; repo sync ; add local_manifest.xml ; repo sync
>
> > TaintDroid can run in the emulator (that's how it was developed).
>
> > For running TaintDroid in the emulator, follow the same basic steps, except
> > you won't need to worry about the "vendor setup" for the Nexus One. However,
> > if you want the "Google Applications" in your emulator, you'll need to read
> > other howto's to accomplish that.
>
> > Some notes on the emulator:
> > - Use the kernel/common git repository and the "goldfish" branch (instead
> > of kernel/msm)
> > - Tell the emulator to use the "portable" interpreter (I've heard reports
> > of segfaults with the ASM "fast" interpreter in the emulator---the fast
> > interpreter was only implemented and tested on the Nexus One). This thread
> > sees apt (See post by "fadden". I've used the "setprop" method in the past):
> > --
> >http://groups.google.com/group/android-platform/browse_thread/thread/...
> > - You can use the official "emulator" binary by using it's command line
> > arguments to specify the kernel and system images (see the output of
> > "emulator -help"). Alternatively, it's not hard to run Android directly out
> > of the build when you use the "lunch 1" config.
>
> > Hope that helps,
> > -Will
>
> > On Nov 9, 2010, at 6:07 AM, kyh1026 wrote:
>
> > > Hi William.
>
> > > TaintDroid is very useful for android security.
>
> > > I study TaintDroid, but I have a several question and problem.... :)
>
> > > I tried to step2 building TaintDroid source but I don't understand.
>
> > > I make local_manifest.xml put it in ~/tdroid/tdroid-2.1_r2.1p/.repo
> > > and try to "repo sync",
>
> > > but try to "repo init" bofore repo sync.
>
> > > How can I solve it???
>
> > > I have no any smart phone but I can execute AVD. Is it possible
> > > running in AVD???
>
> > > thank you for reading it.
>
> > --
> > William Enck
> > PhD Candidate
> > Department of Computer Science and Engineering
> > The Pennsylvania State University
> > e...@cse.psu.edu- Hide quoted text -

Jack

Dec 2, 2010, 2:53:11 AM12/2/10
to TaintDroid
Do we still do the rest of the steps in 3b after pulling the goldfish
branch? Specifically I mean:

% cd common
% export ARCH=arm
% export SUBARCH=arm
% export CROSS_COMPILE=arm-eabi-
% adb pull /proc/config.gz # from a Nexus One with a stock image
% gunzip config.gz
% cp config .config
% make oldconfig
... say "Y" to YAFFS_XATTR and YAFFS_SECURITY
% make menuconfig
... verify YAFFS and EXT2 with XATTR and SECURITY support
% make -j4

Thanks for your help.

On Nov 10, 9:30 am, William Enck <e...@cse.psu.edu> wrote:
> You should do "repo init" before placing the local_manifest.xml file in place (from your email, it sounded like you created the file first). The steps are: repo init ; repo sync ; add local_manifest.xml ; repo sync
>
> TaintDroid can run in the emulator (that's how it was developed).
>
> For running TaintDroid in the emulator, follow the same basic steps, except you won't need to worry about the "vendor setup" for the Nexus One. However, if you want the "Google Applications" in your emulator, you'll need to read other howto's to accomplish that.
>
> Some notes on the emulator:
> - Use the kernel/common git repository and the "goldfish" branch (instead of kernel/msm)
> - Tell the emulator to use the "portable" interpreter (I've heard reports of segfaults with the ASM "fast" interpreter in the emulator---the fast interpreter was only implemented and tested on the Nexus One). This thread sees apt (See post by "fadden". I've used the "setprop" method in the past):
> --http://groups.google.com/group/android-platform/browse_thread/thread/...
> - You can use the official "emulator" binary by using it's command line arguments to specify the kernel and system images (see the output of "emulator -help"). Alternatively, it's not hard to run Android directly out of the build when you use the "lunch 1" config.
>
> Hope that helps,
> -Will
>
> On Nov 9, 2010, at 6:07 AM, kyh1026 wrote:
>

> > Hi William.
>
> > TaintDroid is very useful for android security.
>
> > I study TaintDroid, but I have a several question and problem.... :)
>
> > I tried to step2 building TaintDroid source but I don't understand.
>
> > I make local_manifest.xml put it in ~/tdroid/tdroid-2.1_r2.1p/.repo
> > and try to "repo sync",
>
> > but try to "repo init" bofore repo sync.
>
> > How can I solve it???
>
> > I have no any smart phone but I can execute AVD. Is it possible
> > running in AVD???
>
> > thank you for reading it.
>
> --
> William Enck
> PhD Candidate
> The Pennsylvania State University
> e...@cse.psu.edu

William Enck

Dec 3, 2010, 2:07:35 PM12/3/10
to taint...@googlegroups.com
The .config file from the Nexus One phone won't work for the emulator.

% make goldfish_defconfig

will create a .config for the emulator. You may still need to "make oldconfig". Regardless, ensure the XATTR support is enabled.

-Will

en...@cse.psu.edu