GSoC Introduction. Perturbation theory

weralwolf

Mar 23, 2011, 12:57:40 PM3/23/11
to sympy
Hello, where my simple example of calculations corrections due to
perturbation theory for hole with infinite walls. I thinks I didn't
use all sympy features, so if it possible guide me.
Source: http://pygments.org/demo/16998/

P.S. Why my previous discussion("One more GSoC Introduction") was
deleted?

Regards,
Anatolii

Alexey U. Gudchenko

Mar 23, 2011, 1:05:16 PM3/23/11
to sy...@googlegroups.com
23.03.2011 19:57, weralwolf пишет:

> P.S. Why my previous discussion("One more GSoC Introduction") was
> deleted?
>
> Regards,
> Anatolii

Is it you're talk about?

http://groups.google.com/group/sympy/browse_thread/thread/3e6a1cf2c1cfd393?hl=en#

I found it in:

http://groups.google.com/group/sympy?hl=en
Click "View all" near "9 of 8344 messages"

--
Alexey U.

Julien Rioux

Mar 23, 2011, 1:32:37 PM3/23/11
to sympy
On Mar 23, 12:57 pm, weralwolf <weralw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, where my simple example of calculations corrections due to
> perturbation theory for hole with infinite walls. I thinks I didn't
> use all sympy features, so if it possible guide me.
> Source:http://pygments.org/demo/16998/

I think you forgot to put
from sympy import S

at the top.

Did I get it right that you calculate the ground state energy of the
1D infinite potential well of width $a$ with a perturbation which is
linear in $x$, up to second order in perturbation?

I think in general your code is fine. What you might want to do is
- have V an operator
- same for the unpertubed Hamiltonian H
- being able to write those operators in matrix form in a particular
basis
- find the basis which diagonalizes H
- use this basis to represent H and V in matrix forms
- compute perturbation theory to first, second, etc. order by looking
up the matrix forms
- make it general enough to handle degenerate cases

I think some of this is possible already, but I haven't looked deeply
into it.

Jeron Smuta

Mar 23, 2011, 2:30:08 PM3/23/11
to sy...@googlegroups.com
2011/3/23 Julien Rioux <julien...@gmail.com>

On Mar 23, 12:57 pm, weralwolf <weralw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, where my simple example of calculations corrections due to
> perturbation theory for hole with infinite walls. I thinks I didn't
> use all sympy features, so if it possible guide me.
> Source:http://pygments.org/demo/16998/

I think you forgot to put
from sympy import S

at the top.

Yes, thanks, I really miss it! I just remove it in the last moment before highlighting code.

Did I get it right that you calculate the ground state energy of the
1D infinite potential well of width $a$ with a perturbation which is
 linear in $x$, up to second order in perturbation?

Yes, you are right. I try to calculate the ground state energy for that case what you describe.

I think in general your code is fine. What you might want to do is
- have V an operator
- same for the unpertubed Hamiltonian H
- being able to write those operators in matrix form in a particular
basis
- find the basis which diagonalizes H
- use this basis to represent H and V in matrix forms
- compute perturbation theory to first, second, etc. order by looking
up the matrix forms
- make it general enough to handle degenerate cases

I think some of this is possible already, but I haven't looked deeply
 into it.

Thanks, I'll look deeply, may be I'll find some solutions of this points.  I'll search methods to solve it in current SymPy state.

Aaron S. Meurer

Mar 23, 2011, 2:52:05 PM3/23/11
to sy...@googlegroups.com
I don't think it's possible to delete a discussion on a public mailing list. But I think Google Groups has a bug where sometimes it does not show discussions when searching or when browsing for whatever reason. But they are still there (you can usually find them by doing a normal Google search).

Aaron Meurer

weralwolf

Mar 23, 2011, 4:41:43 PM3/23/11
to sympy
Problem was solved when I reconnect from other network. Because before
I haven't see any discussions after 22.03.11

weralwolf

Mar 24, 2011, 12:24:29 PM3/24/11
to sympy
Sorry, but due to unexpected error what happens to my yesterday I
think it will be more useful to continue this topic there:
http://groups.google.com/group/sympy/browse_thread/thread/ade9df0af84bd17c