GSOC 2013, Linear Algebra

Saurabh Jha

Apr 2, 2013, 8:22:01 AM4/2/13
to sympy
Hi,

My name is Saurabh Jha. I am a third year computer science and
engineering student at Guru Nanak Dev University, Gurdaspur, India. I
am interested in sympy and more specifically wants to work on Linear
algebra module as it is one of the ideas in Ideas page. I wanted to
know how much background is needed for this project so that I can see
if I can do this project. Also I wanted to know if this project is
important in sympy right now.

Thank you,

Sincerely,

- Saurabh Jha(saurab...@gmail.com)

Aaron Meurer

Apr 6, 2013, 7:46:31 PM4/6/13
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Well, you should obviously know linear algebra, and what all the basic
matrix operations mean. The thing to do for this project is to rewrite
the matrices to be more like the polys, where the elements are not
just sympy expressions but rather elements of some ground type. This
way, we can do things like have matrices over gmpy rationals, or
matrices over rational functions where they automatically reduce to 0.
You should look at the linear algebra related parts of
https://github.com/sympy/sympy/pull/1840 as a start (most of that is
polys stuff, which you don't need to worry about).

Aaron Meurer