summer of code

Ondrej Certik

Apr 12, 2007, 5:55:55 AM4/12/07
to sy...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

thanks to all of you for participating in the GSoC. As I wrote, we got
11 applications in total and 5 were selected (congratulations to
Mateusz, Robert, Brian, Chris and Jason!), so it's a huge success, I
didn't expect that.

You can check it here:

http://code.google.com/soc/psf/about.html
http://code.google.com/soc/stsci/about.html
http://code.google.com/soc/psu/about.html

Thanks also to Mladen, Marc-Etienne and George, even though you
weren't selected, you still helped SymPy a lot just by applying a high
quality application. Because that's better than any other advertising.

The technical issues with those selected will be done later, don't
worry about it now. I'll be in touch.

Ondrej

JimJJ...@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2007, 11:26:42 AM4/12/07
to sympy

On Apr 12, 5:55 am, "Ondrej Certik" <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
> ... you still helped SymPy a lot just by applying a high

> quality application. Because that's better than any other advertising.

Yes. I don't have any previous involvement with SymPy, but am
starting now specifically because[*] it allowed you one more slot.
(Given an appropriate mentor) there wasn't a single SymPy app that it
would have embarassed us to take.

For What Its Worth, if any of you are still students (and still
interested) next summer, it might be useful to help recruit mentors.
For SymPy, that turned out to be the limiting factor this year. (It
wasn't remotely the limiting factor at the PSF last year.)

And, of course, you are all welcome to contribute just as a
contribution, the way the original authors have ...

[*] Well, also because the geometry project looked interesting to me,
and Jason already has a good reputation.

-jJ

JG_Newf

Apr 12, 2007, 10:20:51 PM4/12/07
to sympy
> For What Its Worth, if any of you are still students (and still
> interested) next summer, it might be useful to help recruit mentors.
> For SymPy, that turned out to be the limiting factor this year. (It
> wasn't remotely the limiting factor at the PSF last year.)

Depending on how my summer looks next year, I'll definitely consider
taking on a mentor position for the PSF and some project.

> And, of course, you are all welcome to contribute just as a
> contribution, the way the original authors have ...

I'm generally pretty busy during the semester, but whenever I have
free time I'm going to try my best to contribute to SymPy [after the
SoC]. If the geometry module is working out pretty good I'll consider
expanding it even further (triangulation of a set of points might be
useful for example, and many other things that are probably outside of
my knowledge set that would be interesting to investigate). I'm just
looking forward to getting everything working and testing it against
something like Pappus' Theorem.