Re: Simplest way to truncate database transaction log file.

Unknown

Sep 2, 2010, 5:24:10 PM9/2/10
You are probably adding the -x switch to the dbmlsync command
line to cause the transaction log to get renamed; which is the
first requirement for the delete_old_log feature.

That switch will be needed to be added to the dbmlsync process's
cmdline that is running behind the scenes.

"Shao Chan" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message
> SQL Anywhere 9.0.2.3804
>
> Hi,
>
> We have one system where we truncate the transaction log every time the
> DBMLSync starts - I think its running
> SET OPTION PUBLIC.DELETE_OLD_LOGS = ON;
>
> We may have done something to the DBMLSync startup parameters also to
> enable this to happen - I can't quite remember.
>
> However, we have another system which does not use DBMLSync. In the
> handheld Mobilnk sync mechanism, calls are made through .NET to call web
> services such that the data pushed through to the SQL Anywhere database
> are also pushed up in the same sync to the backend system.
>
> What is the best way to ensure that the SQL Anywhere database's logs get
> truncated over time without risking Mobilink users getting synchronisation
> failures. I believe I can delete the logs with a dbbackup command, but
> that would cause Mobilink users that haven't synchronised recently,
> problems right?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Shao

Shao Chan

Sep 3, 2010, 6:14:15 AM9/3/10
Thanks Nick.

What I am asking though is what to do if I don't have DBMLSync running in an
application?

In one of our implementations, there is no DBMLSync to move data from the
SQL Anywhere database to the backend sync.

This is automatically pushed through when the PDA does a standard Mobilink
sync because in one of the hooks it forces a web service call to the backend
system.

So if I have no DBMLSync, what can I do from the command line periodically
or use as a startup parameter to truncate the transaction log file?

Thanks.

Shao

"Nick Elson [Sybase An SAP Company]" <@nick@dot@elson@at@sybase@dot@com@>

Reg Domaratzki [Sybase]

Sep 3, 2010, 11:14:51 AM9/3/10
On 9/3/2010 6:14 AM, Shao Chan wrote:
> In one of our implementations, there is no DBMLSync to move data from the
> SQL Anywhere database to the backend sync.
>
> This is automatically pushed through when the PDA does a standard Mobilink
> sync because in one of the hooks it forces a web service call to the backend
> system.

I'm a little confused by your post. The first paragraph says there is
no dbmlsync, and the second paragraph says you use web services to call
to the backend system "when the PDA does a standard MobiLink sync".

Why are you doing a "standard MobiLink sync" on a database where "there
is no DBMLSync to move data"?

--
Reg Domaratzki - Sybase
Please reply only to the newsgroup

Documentation : Exercise your WRITE @DocCommentXchange: DCX.sybase.com
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/base.do
-> Choose SQL Anywhere
-> Optionally set filter to "Display ALL platforms IN ALL MONTHS"

Shao Chan

Sep 2, 2010, 4:43:54 AM9/2/10

Unknown

Sep 3, 2010, 10:57:25 AM9/3/10
Shao,

That's confusing. Either you have written your own synchronization
technology
[and are definitely not synching with a MobiLink server] or you are synching
with a MobiLink server somehow.

That would mean that something in/behind your 'web service' is either:

Already running dbmlsync as a service/daemon or
via a scheduler.
Spawing dbmlsync for you.
Doing effectively the same thing using the
dbtools (DBSyncronizeLog) api.
Or are using the Dbmlsync Integration component.

all of them can facilite the -x for you once you make the
correction for that.

If you happen to be using a newer version of our product (say 11.0.x)
then you could also be using a newer DBMLSync API (possibly via .Net)
which would also have a way to cause logs to be renamed.

Of course, even if you cannot figure this out for yourself, running
dbremote -t -r should still work [provided the Delete_Old_Logs
option is enabled; for any of the above as well; of course]

"Shao Chan" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

Unknown

Sep 2, 2010, 5:25:49 PM9/2/10
And not you cannot just delete the logs with dbbackup.
The -x switch for the DBBACKUP.exe utility is an
absolute NO NO DON'T GO THERE!!!! EVER!

For the dbbackup utility the equivalent is

dbbackup -t -r [-n]