Shared Memory - Windows NT

elangovanraman

Jan 7, 2008, 10:53:48 AM1/7/08

Does anyone out there have a good idea about Shared Memory
on Windows 2003 for Sybase 15.

I am wondering whether the value : 23662592

is fixed for Windows environment.

We are using the /3GB flag in the boot.ini

I am trying to increase the Max memory from :1357571 to
1600000

and it is giving me lots of issues.

The errorlog says that it is unable to create the shared
memory.

Any tips to make this work is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Elangovan Raman

datvo

Jan 7, 2008, 2:11:11 PM1/7/08
Hi Elangovan,

set the "shared memory starting address" to 23662592 using
sp_configure and restart your ASE to see if that helps.

Cheers,

Dat

Manish Negandhi

Jan 7, 2008, 11:23:27 PM1/7/08
> set the "shared memory starting address" to 23662592 using
> sp_configure and restart your ASE to see if that helps.

As suggested by Dat, you can try increasing "shared memory starting
address" parameter value. If you can not restart the server after
increasing this value, you need to adjust 'total memory' parameter
until your server comes up

-HTH
Manish Negandhi
[TeamSybase Intern]

elangovanraman

Jan 9, 2008, 9:09:54 AM1/9/08
Dat/Manish,

I currently have my Shared Memory starting address @
23662592.

Can this be changed on Windows 2003.

Regards,

Elangovan Raman

Manish Negandhi

Jan 9, 2008, 10:46:56 AM1/9/08
On Jan 9, 7:09 pm, Elangovan Raman wrote:
> Dat/Manish,
>
> I currently have my Shared Memory starting address @
> 23662592.
>
> Can this be changed on Windows 2003.

Firstly, you need to verify what is the max value of shared memory
which can be configured for Windows
The maximum size of shared memory for 32-bit windows is approximately
1.75GB.The below mentioned
link contains information about maximuch shared memory which can be
configured for each OS

http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1026830

However the shared memory limit is close to 2G, you can change
Windows configuration to increase this limit..
here is how..
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q283037/

If you decide to increase Windows memory you need to perform following
steps

- Change Windows boot.ini file to increase the memory
- Reboot Windows
- change "shared memory starting address" to 23662592
- change "allocate shared memory" to 1
- change "max memory" to 1408000 approx 2.7 G

You will need a reboot of Windows after these changes

datvo

Jan 9, 2008, 7:17:30 PM1/9/08

Hi Elangovan,

Yes.

Microsoft support /3GB on Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition
and Datacenter Editiion.

If you have other flavor of Windows 2003 you may need to
contact Microsoft or Sybase Tech Support to see if the /3GB
flag can be used.

> Dat/Manish,
>
> I currently have my Shared Memory starting address @
> 23662592.
>
> Can this be changed on Windows 2003.
>
> Regards,
>
> Elangovan Raman

Cheers,

Dat Vo
[TeamSybase Intern]

Jason L. Froebe [TeamSybase]

Jan 21, 2008, 1:23:54 PM1/21/08
Dat Vo wrote:
> Hi Elangovan,
>
> Yes.
>
> Microsoft support /3GB on Windows 2003 Enterprise Edition
> and Datacenter Editiion.
>
> If you have other flavor of Windows 2003 you may need to
> contact Microsoft or Sybase Tech Support to see if the /3GB
> flag can be used.

Only the enterprise / datacenter editions support > ~1.4GB for a process
IIRC. This is by design (Microsoft).

--
Jason L. Froebe

Froebe Fibers http://www.froebe-fibers.com