Are we doing this to learn Scheme?

Grant Rettke

Aug 23, 2008, 10:44:41 PM8/23/08
to Study-HTDP
Hi folks,

If you looked into HTDP yet, you may be wondering if our goal is to
learn Scheme. To answer your question, no, that is not our goal.

We happen to be using little-languages built on top of Scheme, but our
goal is to learn how to design program, not how to write programs in
Scheme. You do not need to know anything about Scheme before starting
HTDP, either.

If you are interested in learning Scheme, I recommend this book:

http://www.scheme.com/tspl3/

Best wishes,

Grant

Kartik

Aug 27, 2008, 12:41:14 AM8/27/08
to Study-HTDP
Those of you who are curious as to why Scheme was chosen as the
language for this book here is what authors have to say about that:

http://www.htdp.org/2003-09-26/Book/curriculum-Z-H-2.html (Look for
"The Choice of Scheme and DrScheme" section).

I agree with them. I remember in my college days I used to get so
bogged down by spew of errors (especially with COBOL) that I tended to
lose focus of the task in hand.

Regards,
Kartik

Grant Rettke

Aug 27, 2008, 11:44:53 AM8/27/08
to Study-HTDP
On Aug 26, 11:41 pm, Kartik <krind...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Those of you who are curious as to why Scheme was chosen as the
> language for this book here is what authors have to say about that:
>
> http://www.htdp.org/2003-09-26/Book/curriculum-Z-H-2.html(Look for
> "The Choice of Scheme and DrScheme" section).

Thanks for linking to that Kartik. There is a rationale for the
approach, and it is interesting. Everything should read the preface!

> I agree with them.

I too agree.