What will we do, and when will we do it?

Grant Rettke

Aug 23, 2008, 10:14:58 PM8/23/08
to Study-HTDP
Hi folks,

What we will do is to read and complete the problems in HTDP.

When we've got questions (or thoughts or ideas) about the content (any
content, not necessarily limited to HTDP, anything CS/HTDP related is
fair game), we should send them to the mailing list.

I will respond to, and post, questions every morning and every evening
around 7:00am and 7:00pm or so, my timezone is:

Central Standard Time (CST) = GMT-6
Central Daylight Time (CDT) = GMT-5

Since we've got a geographically distributed group, many of us will be
on virtually opposite schedules.

I'm thinking that every one or two weeks, we should have a chat on
Skype just to touch base, identify issues and opportunities for
improvement, and generally do what we can't do well over email (not
sure what that is yet, but lets find out).

Another question worth answering here is "How long will it take to
finish the book?".

I don't know the answer to that. I interest of finding the answer,
I've decided that we'll timebox the first class to 4 months. There are
8 sections (with various intermezzos), which gives 2 weeks to every
section.

This is an aggressive schedule. While I expect some sections to be
easier than others, I am banking on two things:

1. We've got a group of highly motivated people. Since most of us are
doing this on nights and weekends, we *must* be interested. Besides,
we don't want this to go on forever. Without a goal, we'll eventually
lose momentum.
2. We can, and will, revise our estimate as we go along. The goal is
to learn, not to meet a deadline.

Best wishes,

Grant Rettke