Re: New windows icons in tclkit858.exe fail replacement

Pat Thoyts

Nov 28, 2009, 6:07:47 AM11/28/09
to Harald Oehlmann, starkit
2009/11/27 Harald Oehlmann <wort...@yahoo.de>:
> Thanks to Pat Thoyts, I usually download windows starkits from:
> http://www.patthoyts.tk/tclkit/tclkit.html
> For the new tcl858 release, the icon has changed.
>
> Unfortunately, when I try to replace the icons on a starpack based on
> tclkitsh858.exe using a file tclkit.ico, there is now the error
> message:
> customizing tclkit.ico in exec
> icon 48x48/256: NOT SAME SIZE
> icon 32x32/256: NOT SAME SIZE
> icon 16x16/256: NOT SAME SIZE
> icon 48x48/256: NOT SAME SIZE
> icon 32x32/256: NOT SAME SIZE
> icon 16x16/256: NOT SAME SIZE
> icon 48x48/256: replaced
> icon 32x32/256: replaced
> icon 16x16/256: replaced
> Using tclkitsh857.exe, I get:
> customizing tclkit.ico in executable
> icon 32x32/16: replaced
> icon 16x16/16: replaced
> icon 32x32/256: replaced
> icon 48x48/256: replaced
> icon 48x48/16: replaced
> icon 16x16/256: replaced
>
> Is it possible, that the new icon is not provided in all three color
> depths ?
>
> Thank you,
> Harald

I'll post this to the starkit list too as it's of general interest to
tclkit windows users.

When I made the 8.5.8 tclkits I used the icon file that is now in tcl
8.6 which is an SVG image of the Tcl feather rendered to 64x64 and
smaller. This is because on Windows7 we really need a better icon.

I understand that this causes problems with the sdx icon replacement
which is not really very clever and cannot handle significant changes
in the icons. We are trying to make a new version for sdx that uses
the tcllib ico package but at the moment it corrupts the resources.

I intend to write up a web page about this but at the moment I
recommend replacing the icon with a resource editor like visual
studio. To do this you need to separate off the executable from the
database, modify it then rejoin the database.

sdx mksplit starpack.exe - yields a starpack.head and starpack.tail
upx -d starpack.head - decompress the exe section
<replace the icon resource>
upx --best --compress-resources=0 starpack.head
copy /b starpack.head + starpack.tail starpack.exe

The old icon file was built for Windows XP and has 32x32, 24x24 and
16x16. The new one is designed for Vista and Windows7 use and has a
64x64 256 color icon, a set of 48x48, 32x32 and 16x16 icons in 8 bit
color and 4bit color.

Windows7 also suggests including a 256x256 PNG resource but I have
found that nearly all resource editors including the resource compiler
for MSVC6 cannot handle this and using a maximum size of 64x64 gives
sufficiently good results.

If you want to render your own icons based on the tclsh feather the
SVG file is checked into the 8.6 cvs repository.

If this is a major problem I can quite easily produce another set of
tclkit executables that retain the old icon. We would have to find a
suitable name (tclkit-8.5.8.upx.xpicon.exe is getting unwieldy!). I
hope to get a fixed sdx icon replacement but I don't know how long it
might take before that becomes available.

The version resource replacement (tclkit.inf) still works ok. It has
had some padding added so that you can now add longer strings than was
previously possible in the text replacements.

Pat Thoyts

Harald Oehlmann

Nov 28, 2009, 1:26:10 PM11/28/09
to Pat Thoyts, Rene Zaumseil, starkit
Pat Thoyts schrieb:
> 2009/11/27 Harald Oehlmann <wort...@yahoo.de>:
>> Thanks to Pat Thoyts, I usually download windows starkits from:
>> http://www.patthoyts.tk/tclkit/tclkit.html
>> For the new tcl858 release, the icon has changed.
>>
>> Unfortunately, when I try to replace the icons on a starpack based on
>> tclkitsh858.exe using a file tclkit.ico, there is now the error
>> message:
> If this is a major problem I can quite easily produce another set of
> tclkit executables that retain the old icon. We would have to find a
> suitable name (tclkit-8.5.8.upx.xpicon.exe is getting unwieldy!). I
> hope to get a fixed sdx icon replacement but I don't know how long it
> might take before that becomes available.
Hi Pat, hi Rene,
thank you for the answers and all the work.
One could also use the builds from kitgen

https://sourceforge.net/projects/kbskit/files/

The file WindowsNT_kbsvq8.5-gui.exe works for me and the sdx icon
replacement still works.

IMHO, the only drawback is the increased file size by a factor of 3.
Is this due to the fact, that UPX is not used ?

Regards,
Harald