No (d|th)readed Tclkit builds

1 view

Jean-Claude Wippler

Jun 19, 2007, 10:52:56 AM6/19/07
to starkit
For the record: I've decided not to provide / maintain threaded
builds of Tclkit.

No big news, because the current Tclkit download page did not contain
threaded builds until now anyway. But I did at some point intend to
switch over to threaded builds for 8.5 - no longer.

My reasons are:
- don't want to manage two release collections (not just tclkits,
also the extensions)
- don't think it's needed, multi-tasking suits me fine, also for
multi-core use
- don't think threads will be solid enough across all software
involved for a long time

If you want threads anyway, you'll either have to build things
yourself using a modified genkit, or the new kitgen which can build
threaded Tclkit Lite's. Or alternately, have a look at the various
options offered by ActiveState.

Then again, I *will* support Metakit in threaded mode for those souls
who depend on it (MK's -shared flag can be useful as inter-thread
data exchange, even for in-memory databases). So if you run into any
problems with MK, whether in threaded mode or otherwise, please do
let me know. My main development machine is dual-core and 64-bit, so
I can definitely test and debug such cases.

This applies to the open source side of things. Contact me if you
need other fee-based arrangements.

-jcw