warning: closed channel

Ben Alpert

May 10, 2011, 11:18:36 AM5/10/11
to sshuttle
I get many of these warnings when using sshuttle.

client: warning: closed channel 42 got cmd=STOP_SENDING len=0
server: warning: closed channel 42 got cmd=STOP_SENDING len=0
server: warning: closed channel 21 got cmd=STOP_SENDING len=0
client: warning: closed channel 49 got cmd=DATA len=2048
client: warning: closed channel 49 got cmd=STOP_SENDING len=0
client: warning: closed channel 49 got cmd=EOF len=0
client: warning: closed channel 37 got cmd=STOP_SENDING len=0
server: warning: closed channel 51 got cmd=STOP_SENDING len=0
server: warning: closed channel 56 got cmd=STOP_SENDING len=0
server: warning: closed channel 57 got cmd=STOP_SENDING len=0
client: warning: closed channel 51 got cmd=STOP_SENDING len=0

Is this anything to worry about? If so, what can I do to fix it? (If
not, what can I do to suppress them? They make me feel sad inside…)

Thanks Avery for all your wonderful work.

Avery Pennarun

May 11, 2011, 11:41:29 PM5/11/11
to Ben Alpert, sshuttle

They're a bug, but the bug is just that it prints the warning, not so
much that it hurts anything. Well, okay, if the channel number
wrapped all the way around in 0.1 seconds or something, which I think
is impossible at least on modern computers, then it would cause a real
bug.

I've been too lazy to fix it so far. In case someone is feeling
motivated, what happens is:

- a connection isn't officially closed until both ends close it.
- when one end decides that it's closed, it sends the other end a
STOP_SENDING message.
- if the other end has *already* decided it's closed, then it prints
the warning.

...hmm, actually the closed connection getting a DATA message is
pretty bad; it means somebody closed it before they felt safe.

All in all, the connection closing state machine isn't quite right. It
needs to be thoroughly traced through and thought about. The final
fix will probably only be two or three lines, but it has to be the
*right* two or three lines :)

Have fun,

Avery

ash...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2013, 12:17:13 PM2/11/13
to sshu...@googlegroups.com, spicyj...@gmail.com
Just wondering if there has been any update to fix the warning closed channel messages.  Thanks

Ashley Anderson

david...@gmail.com

Mar 27, 2017, 8:59:42 PM3/27/17
to sshuttle, spicyj...@gmail.com, ash...@gmail.com
6 years after the original post the answer seems to be no. Having the same issue in 2017.

ryan....@gmail.com

Jun 13, 2017, 4:22:27 PM6/13/17
to sshuttle, spicyj...@gmail.com, ash...@gmail.com, david...@gmail.com
Well fun..  I came here as I was hoping to find a non-mjölnir way of fixing this.

Brian May

Jun 15, 2017, 6:24:06 PM6/15/17
to sshuttle
ryan....@gmail.com writes:

> Well fun.. I came here as I was hoping to find a non-mjölnir way of fixing
> this.

I don't have time to look at this right now.

Pull requests are welcome.
--
Brian May <br...@microcomaustralia.com.au>
Message has been deleted

Aniket Shaha

Jun 22, 2021, 9:06:08 AM6/22/21
to sshuttle
The year is 2021, and we still are facing the same issue while using sshuttle 🙄

linux sup

May 13, 2022, 1:14:52 AM5/13/22
to sshuttle

ditto with 2022

Bradley Stannard

Nov 2, 2022, 7:43:43 AM11/2/22
to sshuttle
November 2022, Still having the issue :(

Jason Oriente

Dec 12, 2022, 2:27:11 PM12/12/22
to sshuttle
You can get rid of these messaged by changing the log priority.

ssyslog.py

Change this....
    _p = ssubprocess.Popen(['logger',
                            '-p', 'daemon.notice',
                            '-t', 'sshuttle'], stdin=ssubprocess.PIPE)

To this....
    _p = ssubprocess.Popen(['logger',
                            '-p', 'daemon.err',
                            '-t', 'sshuttle'], stdin=ssubprocess.PIPE)

Then disconnect and reconnect your tunnels.

Ryan McHale

Dec 12, 2022, 3:31:56 PM12/12/22
to Jason Oriente, sshuttle

seyed amirhossein hosseini