WITH RECURSIVE and ORM

Ergo

Jun 27, 2010, 1:11:58 PM6/27/10
to sqlalchemy
Hello,

I'm looking for a way to execute a recursive query and get ORM
instances with it.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/queries-with.html

I know we don't have any direct support for recursive syntax in SA,
but is there a way to execure arbitrary query that would return all
the data to build ORM objects and use those objects later ?

Michael Bayer

Jun 27, 2010, 3:40:28 PM6/27/10
to sqlal...@googlegroups.com

You can feed any textual statement into Query() to return ORM objects using from_statement():

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/docs/ormtutorial.html#using-literal-sql

If you're much more ambitious than that, and you'd like to try generating a WITH clause into a select() construct, this is possible as well, although the thorny part would be the SQL expressions inside the WITH. Below is a proof of concept which sneaks additional properties onto the select() construct which affect its string compilation, and access those attributes via the Query. You can probably get it to work for simple column expressions inside of a WITH. The part where it would break down is when Query starts generating subqueries of itself, and it makes copies of the select() - a lot more thought and testing would be required for that. Subquery generation is usually avoidable if you aren't using eager loads or joined inheritance.

from sqlalchemy.ext.compiler import compiles
from sqlalchemy.sql.expression import Select
import re

@compiles(Select)
def compile(element, compiler, **kw):
s = compiler.visit_select(element, **kw)
if hasattr(element, '_apply_special_comment'):
s = re.sub(r'^SELECT ', '-- SPECIAL COMMENT\nSELECT ', s)
return s

from sqlalchemy.orm import sessionmaker
from sqlalchemy.orm.query import Query, _generative

class MySpecialQuery(Query):
_apply_special_comment = False

@_generative()
def with_special_comment(self):
self._apply_special_comment = True

def _compile_context(self, *arg, **kw):
context = Query._compile_context(self, *arg, **kw)
if self._apply_special_comment:
context.statement._apply_special_comment = True
return context

from sqlalchemy.sql import column

Session = sessionmaker(query_cls=MySpecialQuery)

session = Session()

print session.query(column("foo")).statement
print session.query(column("foo")).with_special_comment().statement

Mariano Mara

Jun 27, 2010, 6:19:00 PM6/27/10
to sqlalchemy
Excerpts from Ergo's message of Sun Jun 27 14:11:58 -0300 2010:

I built a little extension to support WITH RECURSIVE with SA's SQL
Expression Language. You can find all about it here [1].
It might not address your problem directly but you might use it as
inspiration.

http://www.sqlalchemy.org/trac/wiki/UsageRecipes/PgsqlRecursive