Immideate stop in all development on my cell and ps3 related projects

Kristian Jerpetjøn

Aug 20, 2009, 3:31:57 PM8/20/09
to Akira Tsukamoto, Geert Uytterhoeven, Geoff Levand, jb...@jbit.net, Bill Garrett, Luca Barbato, Rasmus Rohde, Shane Ross, russel...@strath.ac.uk, Shelby Davis, Shelby Davis, Dirk Herrendoerfer, David Ryan, oob...@ps2dev.org, ran...@gentoo.org, spum...@googlegroups.com, Stefan Wald
Greetings

I send this mail to inform you that because of the removal of OtherOS from the ps3 platform(slim) version i have decided to stop all development on the ps3 otheros software i currently maintain and all involvement in any otheros related develoment activities.

Allthough my projects may not be the biggest they are probably one of the few cell projects known to targeting the "average joe".

My projects where
spu-medialib https://sourceforge.net/projects/spu-medialib
spumedia http://code.google.com/p/spumedia/
spexms  https://sourceforge.net/projects/spexms/
speutils  http://code.google.com/p/speutils/

I will also be cancelling all my involvement in OurOS a ps3 designed operating system in the making which we were hoping to release in a beta Q4 2009
http://code.google.com/p/ouros

My PS3 History
In 2005 i became aware of the cell architecture through my father working at IBM i did some research into it and figured it is something i would want my hands on as i feel that todays x86 architectures do not show the way to the future.
I also became aware that the ps3 was shipping with a cell which was interesing and that it somehow would support linux.
At the end of 2006 i knew that the ps3 had linux support out of the box but that i had to wait to march to get one.
When i got my ps3 in march 2007 the first thing i did was to install linux on it.
When i realized it was un capable of playing back video in linux i decided to fix that hence i wrote a colorspace converter using spu's and spu-medialib was born.
later in 2007 i added a yuv420 scaler to spu-medialib to get 1080p playback of most video/audio formats everything ffmpeg supports except h264 to be precise.
When i changed my work between 2007 and 2008 i made sure not to take a job that prohibited me from writing open source code on my spare time.
In 2008 i bought my second ps3 to do more development along side using my ps3 for other features games/blue-ray etc and i had now one ps3 only in otheros and one in gameos.

The other projects where born along the way constantly aiming on trying to improve the otheros experience.
OurOS would have been great with, innovative meny system and developer friendly enviroments and a growing community it was the best flag ever.. now its dead too as alll the people there feel as i do .
To support OurOS project i freely gave access to my 16 core amd64 B3 opteron(8347HE) system(10000$ pc) to help the community build fast toolchains and have shorter round times.

The reasoning behind my  decision is:
In a total without counting i have spendt way more than 5000 hours doing something for the ps3 otheros community.
If it ment pushing gcc for microcode patches or investigate better use of the undocumented graphics api, or explaining how spe's work.
it did not matter to me what i was doing because i was supporting a community and a architecture.
In effect SONY's  decision to remove otheros from ps3 slim kills the future for the community and thereby in effect my hobby.

You guys have all helped me a lot along the way and i apriciate all the help and knowledge you have passed on to me.
I do in no way blame you for your CEO's decisions.

Unless someone changes there mind, which i find extremely and highly unlikely, this is probably the last you will ever hear from me exept some random wining on #IRC..

Cheers guys and take care, it was fun while it lasted.

PS!
As a reminder the next time you release something as open be sure not to "restrict it" it tends to throw off community people easely.
--
Kristian Jerpetjøn
Tlf:        +4721694436