Issues w/Sync from GCal to iCal

JKelly

Feb 27, 2008, 11:12:33 PM2/27/08
to Spanning Sync
I just downloaded and purchased SSync v.1.2 (Beta 221).

Most of my syncing has gone off without a hitch. However, on two
important calendars, used for administration of my small business, are
able to sync only in one direction. Events created in iCal show up
fine on GCal. However, events created on GCal will not show up in
iCal.

I should note that because these calendars are for business use, they
are set for limited sharing between my business partner and I. I
suspect that the sharing settings may be affecting my ability to sync,
but I'm not sure.

What should I do?

Larry Hendricks

Feb 27, 2008, 11:30:31 PM2/27/08
to Spanning Sync
Hi,

It sounds like you might be running into the Leopard iCal bug, where
events sync but never show up in iCal. You can usually fix it like
this:

* Quit out of iCal if it's open
* Delete this file:
~/Library/Calendars/Calendar Cache
(~ refers to your home directory.)
* Open iCal
* Wait about at least five minutes until *after* it finishes
"Upgrading Calendars"

Be sure to wait the full five minutes before moving on. If the events
still don't appear after five minutes, then Apple Sync Services needs
to be reset like this:

* Quit out of iCal if it's open
* Open iSync (in /Applications)
* Go to preferences
* Click Reset Sync History
* Try syncing again
* Open iCal and wait a few minutes

Please let us know if that doesn't help.
--
Larry Hendricks
la...@spanningsync.com

JKelly

Feb 28, 2008, 2:03:59 AM2/28/08
to Spanning Sync
Awesome. Worked like a dream. Thank you!

On Feb 27, 11:30 pm, Larry Hendricks <larh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It sounds like you might be running into the Leopard iCal bug, where
> events sync but never show up in iCal. You can usually fix it like
> this:
>
> * Quit out of iCal if it's open
> * Delete this file:
> ~/Library/Calendars/Calendar Cache
> (~ refers to your home directory.)
> * Open iCal
> * Wait about at least five minutes until *after* it finishes
> "Upgrading Calendars"
>
> Be sure to wait the full five minutes before moving on. If the events
> still don't appear after five minutes, then Apple Sync Services needs
> to be reset like this:
>
> * Quit out of iCal if it's open
> * Open iSync (in /Applications)
> * Go to preferences
> * Click Reset Sync History
> * Try syncing again
> * Open iCal and wait a few minutes
>
> Please let us know if that doesn't help.
> --
> Larry Hendricks
> la...@spanningsync.comhttp://spanningsync.com

activescott

Feb 28, 2008, 5:58:02 AM2/28/08
to Spanning Sync
These are invaluable steps and immediately fixed my problem by
deleting that cache file. You should email them to all customers and
just tell them to do it on a regular basis. Or better yet, build this
"fix" into spanning sync so it happens automatically somehow. I wasn't
aware events weren't showing up until I asked someone why they didn't
have some event in one of our shared calendars. Boy was I embarrassed
when it was actually there !

On Feb 27, 11:30 pm, Larry Hendricks <larh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It sounds like you might be running into the Leopard iCal bug, where
> events sync but never show up in iCal. You can usually fix it like
> this:
>
> * Quit out of iCal if it's open
> * Delete this file:
> ~/Library/Calendars/Calendar Cache
> (~ refers to your home directory.)
> * Open iCal
> * Wait about at least five minutes until *after* it finishes
> "Upgrading Calendars"
>
> Be sure to wait the full five minutes before moving on. If the events
> still don't appear after five minutes, then Apple Sync Services needs
> to be reset like this:
>
> * Quit out of iCal if it's open
> * Open iSync (in /Applications)
> * Go to preferences
> * Click Reset Sync History
> * Try syncing again
> * Open iCal and wait a few minutes
>
> Please let us know if that doesn't help.
> --
> Larry Hendricks
> la...@spanningsync.comhttp://spanningsync.com

speener

Mar 1, 2008, 12:37:01 PM3/1/08
to Spanning Sync
My problems seem to go the other way - I created an event through Mail
into iCal. After synching - the event does not appear in Gcal - any
ideas?

sl

On Feb 27, 11:30 pm, Larry Hendricks <larh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It sounds like you might be running into the Leopard iCal bug, where
> events sync but never show up in iCal. You can usually fix it like
> this:
>
> * Quit out of iCal if it's open
> * Delete this file:
> ~/Library/Calendars/Calendar Cache
> (~ refers to your home directory.)
> * Open iCal
> * Wait about at least five minutes until *after* it finishes
> "Upgrading Calendars"
>
> Be sure to wait the full five minutes before moving on. If the events
> still don't appear after five minutes, then Apple Sync Services needs
> to be reset like this:
>
> * Quit out of iCal if it's open
> * Open iSync (in /Applications)
> * Go to preferences
> * Click Reset Sync History
> * Try syncing again
> * Open iCal and wait a few minutes
>
> Please let us know if that doesn't help.
> --
> Larry Hendricks
> la...@spanningsync.comhttp://spanningsync.com

cwood

Mar 1, 2008, 4:15:31 PM3/1/08
to Spanning Sync
sl-

Please create a problem report (by opening Spanning Sync, clicking
"Advanced..." and "Create report") and email it to us at
sup...@spanningsync.com along with a detailed description of the
problem, including the titles of any affected calendars and events.
That will help us track down the issue.

Thanks,
Charlie

colinteacher

Mar 2, 2008, 2:06:18 PM3/2/08
to Spanning Sync
Larry
Wow - I was ready to dump this whole process altogether until this
fixed my issue. Thanks for the post. I remember reading something
about issues with Leopard iCal and now I know what it might look like.
Colin

On Feb 27, 8:30 pm, Larry Hendricks <larh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It sounds like you might be running into the Leopard iCal bug, where
> events sync but never show up in iCal. You can usually fix it like
> this:
>
> * Quit out of iCal if it's open
> * Delete this file:
> ~/Library/Calendars/Calendar Cache
> (~ refers to your home directory.)
> * Open iCal
> * Wait about at least five minutes until *after* it finishes
> "Upgrading Calendars"
>
> Be sure to wait the full five minutes before moving on. If the events
> still don't appear after five minutes, then Apple Sync Services needs
> to be reset like this:
>
> * Quit out of iCal if it's open
> * Open iSync (in /Applications)
> * Go to preferences
> * Click Reset Sync History
> * Try syncing again
> * Open iCal and wait a few minutes
>
> Please let us know if that doesn't help.
> --
> Larry Hendricks
> la...@spanningsync.comhttp://spanningsync.com

Kalvin

Mar 3, 2008, 5:57:02 AM3/3/08
to Spanning Sync
"Reset Sync History" is always greyed out in my preferences and I need
this fix. Any idea how to enable it?

On Feb 27, 8:30 pm, Larry Hendricks <larh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It sounds like you might be running into the Leopard iCal bug, where
> events sync but never show up in iCal. You can usually fix it like
> this:
>
> * Quit out of iCal if it's open
> * Delete this file:
> ~/Library/Calendars/Calendar Cache
> (~ refers to your home directory.)
> * Open iCal
> * Wait about at least five minutes until *after* it finishes
> "Upgrading Calendars"
>
> Be sure to wait the full five minutes before moving on. If the events
> still don't appear after five minutes, then Apple Sync Services needs
> to be reset like this:
>
> * Quit out of iCal if it's open
> * Open iSync (in /Applications)
> * Go to preferences
> * Click Reset Sync History
> * Try syncing again
> * Open iCal and wait a few minutes
>
> Please let us know if that doesn't help.
> --
> Larry Hendricks
> la...@spanningsync.comhttp://spanningsync.com

Kalvin

Mar 3, 2008, 6:12:02 AM3/3/08
to Spanning Sync
Interesting... after some further fiddling, quitting, and restarting,
it came back and I clicked it. Then I followed the other instructions
and they work!

dr mark

Mar 6, 2008, 9:47:32 PM3/6/08
to Spanning Sync
I have a variation on this problem.

I have a google calendar that I share with my wife.
I can create events in gcal & in ical & they sync. However, just the
events my wife has created in gcal do not sync with my ical.

I tried the cache delete & isync reset but these didn't resolve the
issue.

Any more ideas?

Thanks

Mark