Journeyman Craftsman Visit

liam

Mar 14, 2010, 12:05:09 AM3/14/10
to software_craftsmanship

I am a journeyman software craftsman, currenlty living and working in
Brisbane Australia. In April I am going to travel to the US to attend
Alt.Net Seattle and Seattle codecamp.

In between the two conferences I have five days in which I would like
to undertake a craftsmanship mini-apprenticeship, pairing and skill
sharing with your company. I do not require any compensation other
than the opportunity to assist you and learn from you. Although my
conferences are in Seattle I am happy to travel anywhere in the USA
and Canada (excluding Hawaii :) ).

Things I am good at: .NET web development, javascript, creating
software that solves problems
Things I am learning: Ruby, Rails, javascript

If you are interested in having me as visiting craftsman from the 12th
to the 16th of April please reply on this mailing list or contact me
directly.

Liam McLennan
liam.m...@gmail.com

David Starr

Mar 14, 2010, 9:28:07 AM3/14/10
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
This is interesting.

David Starr
- From my trendy iPhone

Begin forwarded message:

liam

Mar 15, 2010, 6:59:08 PM3/15/10
to software_craftsmanship
I have been contacted by a company in the greater NYC area that is
interested in hosting me for a day or two. Is there anyone else in
that area who would like some of my time?

This group talks a lot about apprenticeship / mentoring, continuous
learning, and building a network of skilled and professional
programmers. With your help I am trying to put those things into
practice.

Liam McLennan.

PS. Here is my blog: http://hackingon.net
and some cool things that I have built in my spare time

* thefastway.net this is a route planner application featuring a
heuristic for approximately solving the travelling salesman problem
* onashirt.net an experiment in creating a single page web
application
* herald-property.com an email marketing application that was
supposed to make me rich but didn't

On Mar 14, 11:28 pm, David Starr <da...@guild3.com> wrote:
> This is interesting.
>
> David Starr
> - From my trendy iPhone
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>

> > From: liam <liam.mclen...@gmail.com>
> > Date: March 13, 2010 10:05:09 PM MST
> > To: software_craftsmanship <software_cr...@googlegroups.com>
> > Subject: [SC] Journeyman Craftsman Visit
>
> > I am a journeyman software craftsman, currenlty living and working in
> > Brisbane Australia. In April I am going to travel to the US to attend
> > Alt.Net Seattle and Seattle codecamp.
>
> > In between the two conferences I have five days in which I would like
> > to undertake a craftsmanship mini-apprenticeship, pairing and skill
> > sharing with your company. I do not require any compensation other
> > than the opportunity to assist you and learn from you. Although my
> > conferences are in Seattle I am happy to travel anywhere in the USA
> > and Canada (excluding Hawaii :) ).
>
> > Things I am good at: .NET web development, javascript, creating
> > software that solves problems
> > Things I am learning: Ruby, Rails, javascript
>
> > If you are interested in having me as visiting craftsman from the 12th
> > to the 16th of April please reply on this mailing list or contact me
> > directly.
>
> > Liam McLennan

> > liam.mclen...@gmail.com

Steve Donie

Mar 15, 2010, 9:23:29 PM3/15/10
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com, software_craftsmanship
If you're interested on Austin Texas we might be likewise interested.
I'd have to check with the company though.

The company is drillinginfo.com where you can read about what we do.

My blog at http://stevedonie.lostechies.com has some more info about
how we work.

Steve Donie

Liam McLennan

Mar 15, 2010, 9:44:16 PM3/15/10
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,

Austin would be great. The tech community there seems to be a phenomenon. I will take a look at those sites. Are you coming to Seattle Alt.NET 2010?

Cheers,

Liam McLennan.

Liam McLennan.

li...@eclipsewebsolutions.com.au
http://www.eclipsewebsolutions.com.au

Dave Hoover

Mar 19, 2010, 7:59:22 AM3/19/10
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
Liam,

If you can make it to Chicago that week and would like to pair with us
in the Obtiva Studio on some Rails projects, let me know.

Best,

Dave Hoover
//obtiva: Agility applied. Software delivered.

liam

Mar 19, 2010, 7:30:20 PM3/19/10
to software_craftsmanship
My craftsmanship tour planning is now complete. Huge thanks to all who
offered to take me in. Here is the current plan:

Mon 12th Didit (Long Island)
Tue 13th
Wed 14th Obtiva (Chicago)
Thu 15th 8th light (Chicago)
Fri 15th 8th light (Chicago)

It is interesting that all three companies I will be spending time
with work primarily with Ruby. I think it is a reflection of the
nature of the craftsmanship community. When my tour is complete I will
update this thread with the result.

Liam.

On Mar 19, 9:59 pm, Dave Hoover <dave.hoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Liam,
>
> If you can make it to Chicago that week and would like to pair with us
> in the Obtiva Studio on some Rails projects, let me know.
>
> Best,
>
> Dave Hoover
> //obtiva:  Agility applied. Software delivered.
>

> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:05 AM, liam <liam.mclen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I am a journeyman software craftsman, currenlty living and working in
> > Brisbane Australia. In April I am going to travel to the US to attend
> > Alt.Net Seattle and Seattle codecamp.
>
> > In between the two conferences I have five days in which I would like
> > to undertake a craftsmanship mini-apprenticeship, pairing and skill
> > sharing with your company. I do not require any compensation other
> > than the opportunity to assist you and learn from you. Although my
> > conferences are in Seattle I am happy to travel anywhere in the USA
> > and Canada (excluding Hawaii :) ).
>
> > Things I am good at: .NET web development, javascript, creating
> > software that solves problems
> > Things I am learning: Ruby, Rails, javascript
>
> > If you are interested in having me as visiting craftsman from the 12th
> > to the 16th of April please reply on this mailing list or contact me
> > directly.
>
> > Liam McLennan

> > liam.mclen...@gmail.com

Corey Haines

Mar 19, 2010, 7:39:22 PM3/19/10
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com

Have a great time. All those companies are fun. We'll see you in Chicago.

PS I have my thoughts about your comment that all 3 companies are using Ruby. Generally has to do with he environments that use Java/dotnet vs other languages.

On Mar 19, 2010 6:30 PM, "liam" <liam.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

My craftsmanship tour planning is now complete. Huge thanks to all who
offered to take me in. Here is the current plan:

Mon 12th Didit (Long Island)
Tue 13th
Wed 14th Obtiva (Chicago)
Thu 15th   8th light (Chicago)
Fri 15th    8th light (Chicago)

It is interesting that all three companies I will be spending time
with work primarily with Ruby. I think it is a reflection of the
nature of the craftsmanship community. When my tour is complete I will
update this thread with the result.

Liam.

On Mar 19, 9:59 pm, Dave Hoover <dave.hoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Liam,
>

> If you can make it to Ch...

> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:05 AM, liam <liam.mclen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I am a journeyman so...

> > liam.mclen...@gmail.com

Corey Haines

Mar 19, 2010, 7:42:15 PM3/19/10
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com

Do you have a camera to maybe do some videos along the way? Keep a blog of the stays.

On Mar 19, 2010 6:30 PM, "liam" <liam.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

My craftsmanship tour planning is now complete. Huge thanks to all who
offered to take me in. Here is the current plan:

Mon 12th Didit (Long Island)
Tue 13th
Wed 14th Obtiva (Chicago)
Thu 15th   8th light (Chicago)
Fri 15th    8th light (Chicago)

It is interesting that all three companies I will be spending time
with work primarily with Ruby. I think it is a reflection of the
nature of the craftsmanship community. When my tour is complete I will
update this thread with the result.

Liam.

On Mar 19, 9:59 pm, Dave Hoover <dave.hoo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Liam,
>

> If you can make it to Ch...

> On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 12:05 AM, liam <liam.mclen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I am a journeyman so...

> > liam.mclen...@gmail.com

liam

Mar 19, 2010, 7:44:12 PM3/19/10
to software_craftsmanship
Great idea - I'll see what I can organise.

On Mar 20, 9:42 am, Corey Haines <coreyhai...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you have a camera to maybe do some videos along the way? Keep a blog of
> the stays.

Corey Haines

Mar 19, 2010, 7:51:06 PM3/19/10
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com

Feel free to contact me offline if I can help. I hope to buy you a beer in Chicago when you get here.

On Mar 19, 2010 6:44 PM, "liam" <liam.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

Great idea - I'll see what I can organise.

On Mar 20, 9:42 am, Corey Haines <coreyhai...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you have a camera to maybe do ...

> On Mar 19, 2010 6:30 PM, "liam" <liam.mclen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> My craftsmanship tour plannin...

liam

Apr 22, 2010, 1:48:05 AM4/22/10
to software_craftsmanship
I got home yesterday from my craftsmanship tour. It was a successful
and enjoyable journey. I have published blog posts about each of my
visits, including video interviews, at:

http://hackingon.net/post/Craftsmanship-Tour-Day-1-Didit-Long-Island.aspx
http://hackingon.net/post/Craftsmanship-Tour-Day-2-Obtiva.aspx
http://hackingon.net/post/Craftsmanship-Tour-Day-3-4-8th-Light.aspx

I also gave a presentation at Seattle Code Camp summarizing my tour.
The audio and slides are available at
http://events.boostweb20.com/Events/SeattleCodeCamp2010/#state=sessionCode%242011-11

Liam.

Dan Mayer

Apr 22, 2010, 9:54:10 AM4/22/10
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
That is great, pretty inspirational for anyone else considering the
traveling craftmanship stuff. Great blog posts.

Thanks for sharing your journey.

thanks,
Dan Mayer
Co-founder, Devver.net (http://devver.net)
http://twitter.com/devver
http://mayerdan.com
http://twitter.com/danmayer

Chris Parsons

Apr 22, 2010, 12:57:35 PM4/22/10
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
Nice to meet you for the couple of days you were in Chicago! Best of
luck with your onward journey.

Chris
--
Chris Parsons
CEO ~ Eden Development

Office: +44 (0)845 0097 094
Email: ch...@edendevelopment.co.uk
Web: http://edendevelopment.co.uk

This e-mail is from Eden Development. It has been sent in confidence
to the named addressee(s). This
message may contain legally privileged information and is for the use
of the addressee(s) only. If you
are not the intended recipient you must not use, reveal, copy,
distribute or print this message. Please
notify the sender by return e-mail and then delete the message from
your computer system. Thank
you. Your contact details will be held and used by us in accordance
with the Data Protection Act.
Eden Development Limited is registered in England. Our registration
number is: 5212702. Our
registered office is: Eden Development, Venta Court, 20 Jewry St,
Winchester, SO23 8FE.

liam

Apr 22, 2010, 9:53:45 PM4/22/10
to software_craftsmanship
Thanks Chris, it was great to meet you and Enrique. Hope you get home
soon. Perhaps I could visit Eden Development the next time I'm in
England?

Liam.

On Apr 23, 2:57 am, Chris Parsons <ch...@edendevelopment.co.uk> wrote:
> Nice to meet you for the couple of days you were in Chicago! Best of
> luck with your onward journey.
>
> Chris
>
> On 22 April 2010 00:48, liam <liam.mclen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I got home yesterday from my craftsmanship tour. It was a successful
> > and enjoyable journey. I have published blog posts about each of my
> > visits, including video interviews, at:
>
> >http://hackingon.net/post/Craftsmanship-Tour-Day-1-Didit-Long-Island....
> >http://hackingon.net/post/Craftsmanship-Tour-Day-2-Obtiva.aspx
> >http://hackingon.net/post/Craftsmanship-Tour-Day-3-4-8th-Light.aspx
>
> > I also gave a presentation at Seattle Code Camp summarizing my tour.
> > The audio and slides are available at
> >http://events.boostweb20.com/Events/SeattleCodeCamp2010/#state=sessio...

Chris Parsons

Apr 23, 2010, 10:28:13 AM4/23/10
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
You'd be very welcome! (That goes for anyone else on the list for that matter).

Chris

Bobby Johnson

Apr 24, 2010, 12:59:28 PM4/24/10
to software_cr...@googlegroups.com
Sorry we didn't get to host you at Russell but it was great just hanging out with you at ALT.NET Seattle and Seattle Code Camp.
--
"The explanation requiring the fewest assumptions is most likely to be correct."

- Occam’s Razor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_Razor