NOAA map of the 3,858 oil and gas platforms extant in the Gulf of Mexico in 2006

freeisbest

May 24, 2010, 1:20:20 PM5/24/10
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gulf_Coast_Platforms.jpg

The caption reads:
"NOAA map of the 3,858 oil and gas platforms extant in the Gulf
of Mexico in 2006"

THREE THOUSAND, eight hundred fifty-eight oil and gas platforms, as
of four years ago.

One of the most hair-raising illustrations I've ever seen. You
might expect to see separate bright spots that indicate where the oil-
drilling rigs are on the U.S. Gulf Coast.
Instead, what is shown is a brilliant ring of spots so crammed
together that only a few can be separated into individual operations.

"Drill, baby, drill" is another Repub Mission Accomplished. It
should be called "License to print money."

Dan C

May 24, 2010, 4:12:13 PM5/24/10

Do you drive a car? Do you use oil for anything?

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he reinstalled TLX 3.1.

freeisbest Bullshite

May 24, 2010, 4:42:28 PM5/24/10
On 24 May 2010 20:12:13 GMT, Dan C <youmust...@lan.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 24 May 2010 10:20:20 -0700, freeisbest wrote:
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gulf_Coast_Platforms.jpg
>>
>> The caption reads:
>> "NOAA map of the 3,858 oil and gas platforms extant in the Gulf
>> of Mexico in 2006"
>>
>> THREE THOUSAND, eight hundred fifty-eight oil and gas platforms, as
>> of four years ago.
>>
>> One of the most hair-raising illustrations I've ever seen. You
>> might expect to see separate bright spots that indicate where the oil-
>> drilling rigs are on the U.S. Gulf Coast.
>> Instead, what is shown is a brilliant ring of spots so crammed
>> together that only a few can be separated into individual operations.
>>
>> "Drill, baby, drill" is another Repub Mission Accomplished. It
>> should be called "License to print money."
>
>Do you drive a car? Do you use oil for anything?

Examples of products we use (or encounter) every day that contain petroleum are:

GASOLINE Gasoline is used primarily in light- and medium-duty cars and trucks. 45% of all oil used in
the U.S. goes to gasoline, which means we consume in excess of 180 million gallons of gasoline a day.

DIESEL FUEL Diesel, unless it is �biodiesel�, is made from refining crude oil. It is generally used in
medium- and heavy-duty vehicles requiring a great deal of power and torque, like garbage trucks, road
equipment, buses, and trains. HEATING OIL Heating oil is a petroleum product used to fuel furnaces or
boilers. In the U.S., most heating oil is consumed in the northeast.

JET FUEL The standard type of jet fuel, Jet A, is a petroleum product with a number of additives to
prevent sparking, gumming, corrosion, and icing.

BUNKER FUEL Bunker fuel, which is also know as heavy oil, is used to power ships. It typically
contains a high number of pollutants and contaminants. Use is increasing with the shipping associated
with global commerce.

PLASTICS All plastic, unless it is �bioplastic�, is made from petrochemicals. Every product made from
or containing plastic is a product that exists only through the distillation of petroleum.

SYNTHETIC RUBBER Synthetic rubber is used for car tires and rubber soles on shoes. The demand for
synthetic rubber is four times greater than that for natural rubber.

SYNTHETIC FIBERS Polyester, nylon, and acrylic are all derived from petrochemicals. They are used for
curtains, carpets, rope and even the clothes you wear.

FERTILIZERS/PESTICIDES All major commercial fertilizers are ammonia based, made from natural gas, and
most commercial pesticides come from oil.

PAINT Plastic and oil based paints, as well as paint additives, are manufactured from petrochemicals.

DETERGENT All soapless detergents used to wash clothes and dishes are derived from the petrochemical
glycerin.

Additional products include:

PHOTOGRAPHIC FILM Photographic film is a product of the petrochemical ethylene.

PLASTICS All plastic is made from petrochemicals. Every product made from or containing plastic is a
product that exists only through the distillation of petroleum.

FOOD ADDITIVES (canned food) Food additives, derived from petrochemicals, help to increase the shelf
life of canned food.

SYNTHETIC RUBBER (car tires and shoes) Synthetic rubber is used for car tires and rubber soles on
shoes. The demand for synthetic rubber is four times greater than that for natural rubber.

MEDICINE (pill bottles) Acetylsalicylic acid (ASA), the active ingredient in many pain reliever
medicines, is manufactured from petrochemicals.

SYNTHETIC FIBERS (such as clothes, curtains, and carpets) Polyester, nylon, acrylic are all derived
from petrochemicals. They are used for curtains, carpets, rope and even the clothes you wear.

MAKE-UP Make-up, containing oils, perfumes, waxes and color, are derived from petrochemicals.

DYES The majority of dyes we use, ranging anywhere from pens to hair dye, come from petrochemicals.

PAINT Plastic and oil based paints, as well as paint additives, are manufactured from petrochemicals.

DETERGENT All soapless detergents used to wash clothes and dishes are derived from the petrochemical
glycerin.

FERTILIZERS/PESTICIDES (show a picture of crops) All major commercial fertilizers are ammonia based,
made from natural gas, and most commercial pesticides come from oil.

CANDLES Wax is a raw petroleum product. To find out what you can do to minimize the amount of oil you
use on a daily basis, please visit Kick the Habit.

freeisbest Bullshite

May 24, 2010, 5:21:29 PM5/24/10
On 24 May 2010 20:12:13 GMT, Dan C <youmust...@lan.invalid> wrote:

>On Mon, 24 May 2010 10:20:20 -0700, freeisbest wrote:
>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gulf_Coast_Platforms.jpg
>>
>> The caption reads:
>> "NOAA map of the 3,858 oil and gas platforms extant in the Gulf
>> of Mexico in 2006"
>>
>> THREE THOUSAND, eight hundred fifty-eight oil and gas platforms, as
>> of four years ago.
>>
>> One of the most hair-raising illustrations I've ever seen. You
>> might expect to see separate bright spots that indicate where the oil-
>> drilling rigs are on the U.S. Gulf Coast.
>> Instead, what is shown is a brilliant ring of spots so crammed
>> together that only a few can be separated into individual operations.
>>
>> "Drill, baby, drill" is another Repub Mission Accomplished. It
>> should be called "License to print money."
>
>Do you drive a car? Do you use oil for anything?

Examples of products we use (or encounter) every day that contain petroleum are:

freeisbest

May 24, 2010, 5:49:28 PM5/24/10
On May 24, 4:12 pm, Dan C <youmustbejok...@lan.invalid> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2010 10:20:20 -0700, freeisbest wrote:
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gulf_Coast_Platforms.jpg
>
> >   The caption reads:
> > "NOAA map of the 3,858 oil and gas platforms extant
> > the Gulf of Mexico in 2006"
>
> >    THREE THOUSAND, eight hundred fifty-eight oil and gas
> > platforms, as of four years ago.
>
> >      One of the most hair-raising illustrations I've ever seen.  You
> > might expect to see separate bright spots that indicate where the oil-
> > drilling rigs are on the U.S. Gulf Coast.
> >      Instead, what is shown is a brilliant ring of spots so crammed
> > together that only a few can be separated into individual operations.
>
> >  "Drill, baby, drill" is another Repub Mission Accomplished.
> >  It should be called "License to print money."
>
> Do you drive a car?  Do you use oil for anything?
I detect some extra emotion there.
Nearly four THOUSAND fossil-resource extraction platforms are a
clear and present danger, given that one of those operations failed
catastrophically a month ago. That failure still has not been
addressed. A gigantic plume of oil continues to flow surfaceward
continuously. In a month, at the most conservative estimate (NOAA's),
at least 210,000 gallons of oil PER DAY have been re-distributed into
sea animal/marsh animal/land animal/human environments.
PBS offers this set of estimates:
------------------------------
Current Leak Estimates (updated May 21)
NOAA 210,000 gal/day
Outside Estimates 1,050,000 gal/day
BP (Worst Case) 2,520,000 gal/day
Experts' Worst Case 4,200,000 gal/day
------------------------------
from: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2010/05/how-much-oil-has-spilled-in-the-gulf-of-mexico.html

To put it another way, a gigantic amount of oil that was
thoroughly sealed a *mile* below the floor of the Gulf of Mexico, is
now flowing under pressure, upward and outward to the waters and
shores of the Gulf of Mexico. Those now-oily waters are in the
process of being stirred by ocean currents, making it likely that oil
will soon come to beaches and gated communities that republicans do
care about.

If you want to discuss scientific assessments of the total amount
of oil released, or the hourly amount released, or the current and
projected effects on human and animal habitats, or reasonable ways to
deal with a catastrophe of this gigantic scope, we can talk.
If you're here to shield a corporation from U.S. law and
intelligent scrutiny... not so much.

( N.B. The US BBL of oil is 42 US gallons and converts to about
one cubic meter.)

Dan C

May 24, 2010, 9:59:11 PM5/24/10
On Mon, 24 May 2010 14:49:28 -0700, freeisbest wrote:

> > >  "Drill, baby, drill" is another Repub Mission Accomplished.
> > >  It should be called "License to print money."

>> Do you drive a car?  Do you use oil for anything?

<entire reply snipped, as it was *all* completely irrelevant to the
question that was asked>

You didn't address my question. You simply regurgitated the talking
points that we can all see on the news, about how terrible the spill is.

I'll try again. Do you use petroleum-based products, and gasoline?

"Bother!" said Pooh, as the woodpecker approached his hot-air balloon.

Dan C

May 25, 2010, 11:22:43 PM5/25/10
On Tue, 25 May 2010 01:59:11 +0000, Dan C wrote:

>>> Do you drive a car?  Do you use oil for anything?
>
> <entire reply snipped, as it was *all* completely irrelevant to the
> question that was asked>
>
> You didn't address my question. You simply regurgitated the talking
> points that we can all see on the news, about how terrible the spill is.
>
> I'll try again. Do you use petroleum-based products, and gasoline?

OK...... so you're not going to respond.

What a surprise.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he sent another AreaFix message.