PRESS RELEASE - George Bush v. Wicca

reese mack

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
PRESS RELEASE

For Immediate Release
Date: October 5, 2000
Contact: Maeven Eller and Bryan Lankford
Phone: 214-821-3340

DALLAS BECOMES FIRST TEXAS CITY WITH WICCAN PRAYER DESPITE GOVERNOR'S
REJECTION OF WICCAN LEGITIMACY

Dallas, TX - Dallas Mayor Ron Kirk and other members of the Dallas City
Council became the first Texas municipal body to allow a Wiccan prayer at a
government meeting prior to a Dallas City Council meeting on Wednesday. The
prayer, delivered by Wiccan Priest Bryan Lankford, was conducted amid
swirling controversy.

Wicca, whose adherents are sometimes referred to as witches, is a
life-affirming, nature-based religion grounded in the celebration of the
seasons, and in which both a god and a goddess are worshipped.

Mr. Lankford, who was to have delivered the invocation a week earlier before
having the invitation withdrawn and then reinstated, proceeded with the
prayer despite outbursts by a member of the audience and several speakers
who took to the microphone in order to speak out against him.

"May we show compassion for those whose lives are not as easy as our own.
.... We pray for honesty, love, compassion and faith. ... We ask this of
deity in whatever form each of us perceives it. We ask this city be
transformed with the harmony and balance that faith in a greater power
brings," Mr. Lankford's invocation stated, in part.

Governor George W. Bush, who signed a proclamation declaring June 10 to be
Jesus Day in Texas, and has urged all Texans to "follow Christ's example by
performing good works in their communities and neighborhoods," has also gone
on record on ABC's GOOD MORNING AMERICA as stating he believes that
witchcraft is not a legitimate religion. The comments made on June 24 were
"I don't think witchcraft is a religion, and I wish the military would take
another look at this and decide against it," he said.

Kirk, mayor of Texas' second largest city (ninth in the nation), disagrees.
"The City Council is not in the business of choosing one faith over another.
We have sought to have a representation of all religious faiths. I was moved
by the invocation that was given today, as I have been before," he said.

Governor Bush was unable to be reached for comment.

- 30 -

reese mack

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
Please note: George Bush's comments on ABC's GOOD MORNING AMERICA were made
June 24, 1999.

rm

--
SOLUNA.ORG
reawakening symbolic consciousness.

The conservation of language is of utmost importance.
The generational transmission of ideas depends on it.

Where there is universal language, there is an ark.
reese mack <rees...@soluna.org> wrote in message
: PRESS RELEASE

:
:
:
:

Muddy

Oct 8, 2000, 4:04:48 AM10/8/00
In article <NT6D5.1564$pW4....@nnrp3.sbc.net>,

reese mack <rees...@soluna.org> wrote:
> Please note: George Bush's comments on ABC's GOOD MORNING AMERICA
were made
> June 24, 1999.

This just means he has had plenty of time to retract the statement,
so I will have to assume that he stands by it. If it was just
Bush-Lite alone making this statement, I would only be mildy
concerned. However, Conservative Republican Senators that have
actually read whole books are attempting to pass laws to ban
Wicca from the Military. At the current time they have been stopped
by the Republican Leadership, but this will likely change once the
election is over. Personnel in the Military are not always protected
by the Consitution, so they are at very, very real risk. If the
worst happens and Bush-Lite is elected, he will likely get to appoint
2-3 Supreme Court Justices. Which means that the 5-4 decision upholding
the law than bans discrimination based on religion will be at risk.

Of course there is little doubt Abortion will be illegal, and in Texas
I am sure it will be made a capital crime, since in Texas they believe
whats the point of making something illegal, if you don't get to kill
someone. There are many more cases like this. If you believe
Bush-Lite's BS about not using Abortion as a test, goto the Start
Telegram and read Molly Ivin's article on Bush's true record.

You can read more at www.religioustolerance.org, and look under
intolerance, and Wicca. I have sent them more detailed articles to
provide references for their quotes. The Military Pagans are at
real risk of at least not getting to have services while on base.
This will mean many on overseas deployment will never get to have
services. You also might remember that the first thing a nation
does before really cracking down on a group, is kick any of their
members out of the Military.

In Love, And Trust.
Muddy

Why Intentionally Select a President who admits that reading the
whole executive summary of reports is too hard for hime.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.