NKVD units in ww2

P.J. Gladnick

Oct 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/8/97

Actually I believe that Stalin's NKVD units were formed to combat not the
Germans but Russian soldiers who retreated. The philosophy being that the
punishment given by the NKVD was far worse than they would face in battle
against the enemy. This stems from Stalin's "No Step Backwards" order to
reverse the huge surrenders of Russian forces in 1941. After the war,
Russian POWs that were liberated by the Western allies were sent back to
the Soviet Union under Operation Keelhaul. Since Stalin considered all POWs
to be no better than traitors these POWs knew the fate that awaited them so
they had to be forcefully sent back. Most faced execution or incredibly
brutal prison conditions which was the same as a death sentence.

Dima Protsenko

Oct 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/10/97

In article <61cfgs$g4i$1...@nntp6.u.washington.edu>, wizk...@aol.com
(WizKid Tim) wrote:

> as we all know that stalin's secret service - NKVD also controlled a
> considerable size of fighting units. did it invovled in any major combat
> during the russo-german war from 41 to 45? how come i cant find any articles
> or book regarding this subject
> ?
NKVD had two armed branches: border guard (green collar stripes) and inner
troops or NKVD troops (dark blue collar stripes). The later guarded GULAG,
military installations, factories, bridges, railroads and were used to
fight nationalists and deport civilians from the Baltic States, Chechnya
etc. Both branches fought from the beginning. One NKVD battalion from
GULAG took part in the defense of the Brest fortress. 22nd motorized NKVD
division fought in the Baltic States. Through out the war army divisions
were formed from NKVD and border guard personnel and divisions of NKVD
troops were transferred into the army: 1st rifle div. NKVD became 46th
rifle div. later łLuga˛ div., 8th motorized rifle div. NKVD became 63rd
rifle div. later łRiga - Belorussia˛ rifle div., Siberian rifle div. NKVD
became 140 rifle div. later łNovgorod - Severskiy˛ rifle div. In 1942 70th
army was formed from NKVD personnel and was initially subordinated
directly to Stavka. This army fought in the Kursk battle, Belorussia,
Eastern Prussia and Pomerania.

Apart from the first days of war, NKVD troops subordinated to Lubianka
fought Germans at Stalingrad. At the end of August, 10th rifle div. NKVD
and two training tank battalions were only forces to defend the city.
Usually, NKVD troops moved into area about 100 km behind front line and
dealt with nationalist partisans, German agents, deserters and the like.
Border guard regiments guarded army operational rears less than 100 km
from front line, about one regiment per army. These regiments also trained
snipers for the army.

Besides commander and political officer each Red Army unit starting from
regiment or brigade had NKVD officer to keep an eye on both military and
communist party personnel. BTW, ranks in NKVD and later in KGB were
superior to those in the army. For example, NKVD major was equal to army
colonel.