SIR BARTHOLOMEW BURGHERSH

Sandy McDougall

Apr 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/26/97

Sir Bartholomew BURGHERSH was son of Bartholomew Lord BURGHERSH (frequently
distinguished by the title of Senior) and Elizabeth, one of the daughters
and co-heirs of Theobald de VERDON. His father was first summoned to
Parliment I Edward III. A person of great council and valor which laid a
strong foundation for his son's honor. having been several times
constituted Constable of Dover and the Cinque-Ports, he was also made
Seneschal and Custos of Ponthieu and Montriell, Admiral towards the West,
Chamberlain to the King, Lieutenant of the Tower of London, one of the
Custos's of England and frequently employed in Embassies, and by some
(through mistake) made one of the First Founders of the Order of the
Garter. But among these, enumerated in the preamble to the Statutes, both
of Institution, (with their Exemplars) and those of King Henry V, he is
called Bartholomeus de Burghersh filius, and Bartholomew de Burghersh le
filz. (and so in divers places of our Publick Records) though we have seen
some transcripts of these Statutes, wherein the point hath been at the end
of the surname, and filius (so also le filz) joined to Dom. Johannes de
Beauchamp. But this was a plain mistake of the transcriber, since this
John was never married.
His first martial service was when the King went into Bretagne 16 Edward
III, next he went with the Prince in the Kings Expedition into France 20
Edward III, where he staid with him at the Siege of Calais. And for
recompence of his expenses, in this Voyage, the King granted him the
Custody of all the lands and Tenements, which had belonged to John de
LOUEYNE deceased, till his Heir should come of age, without rendring any
thing therefore.
the 23 yead of King Edward, he went along with him into Gascoigne. And
again thither with the Prince of Wales, 29 Edward III, and had command in
the main body of the Prince's Army. The following year, as the Prince
retired from forraging the Country of Berry, and was got near Romerentyne,
this Knight (whom Froissard in several places calls the Lord Bartholomew
BRECHES, Sir Bartholomew de BOUNES, de BRENNES and de BRUNES, but such
mistakes are too frequent in that Author in this and other mens names as
also in the names of places) was set upon by a French Ambushment, but he
and his troops so gallantly behaved themselves, that they kept the French
in play till the Prince drew near, upon the sight of whom they fled to
Romerentyne (pursued by the English) and got into the Castle, which the
Prince commaned Sir John CHANDOS to Summon; but they refusing to yield,
after two desperate but fruitless assaults, the English set it on fire
which caused them to speedily surrender.
He attended the King in his expedition into France 33 Edward III and
towards the end of the year 37 Edward III he and divers other Knights of
the Court were sent to Dover, to wait upon John King of France, who,
comming over to visit King Edward, landed there the 4 of January, and was
conducted by them to Canterbury where having offered a rich Jewel at the
Shrine of Thomas Becket, he after rode to Eltham to the King, and thence to
the Savoy where he was honorably entertained.
Half a year before this, we find the King appointed the Treasurer of his
Chamber to give him 200 L upon the debt due to him from the King for the
Count de VENDEDOUR his prisoner.
He had two wives, the first was Cecily, daughter and heir to Richard
WEYLAND, by whom he had divers lands in the Counties of Norfolk, Suffolk,
Cambridge, Huntingdon, Essex, and Hertford; by her he had Elizabeth his
daughter and Heir, married to Edward le DESPENSER.
His second wife was Margaret, sister to Sir Bartholomew BADLISMERE, whom
he left a widow; but she afterwards married William de BURCESTER, and dyed
about the 18 year of King Richard the Second.
The 5 of April, 43 Edward III he dyed, leaving Elizabeth, his daughter and
Heir, then about 24 years of age.

Elias Ashmole
Order of the Garter. 1670

sandy
sa...@mosquitonet.com

Sandy McDougall

Apr 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/27/97

At 09:17 AM 4/27/97 -1000, you wrote:
>>Elias Ashmole
>>Order of the Garter. 1670

>Quite interesting. Could you be so kind as to give us a complete citation
>for the Elias Ashmole reference----and perhaps tell us something about it,
>where you found it---and so forth?

My most lame apology, I was just too sleepy.

Title Page: The Institution, Laws & Ceremonies of the most Noble Order of
the Garter.
Collected and digested into one Body By Elias Ashmole of the Middle-Temple
Esq; Windesor Herald at Arms. A Work furnished with variety of matter,
retating to Honor and Noblesse.
Originally Published London, 1672. Reprinted 1971. Library of Congress
Catalog Number 78-147882. International Standard Book Number 0-8063-0467-7.

Elias Ashmole says he compiled the book for Charles II. I found it at a
Garage sale here in Fairbanks, AK. $2.00. On the binding, though worn, I
can see the logo for Genealogical Publishing Co.

Elias Ashmole has listed, in the margin all of the references he is using.
He has a very short notice at the beginning on his references however the
book is so faceted that they do not really apply as you will see. I will
list each reference as he shows it in the text. I am sorry to have to post
the text in its entirety again, but that is the only way I know how to do
this so there is no question as to where the reference belongs.
Again I apologize for not having completed it the first time and presented
it properly.
(He befins refs. with the letter F)

Sir Bartholomew BURGHERSH was son of Bartholomew Lord BURGHERSH (frequently
distinguished by the title of Senior) and Elizabeth, one of the daughters
and co-heirs of Theobald de VERDON. His father was first summoned to
Parliment I Edward III. A person of great council and valor which laid a
strong foundation for his son's honor. having been several times

constituted (F) Constable of Dover and the Cinque-Ports, he was also made
(G) Seneschal and Custos of Ponthieu and Montriell,(H) Admiral towards the
West,(I) Chamberlain to the King, (K) Lieutenant of the Tower of London,(L)

one of the Custos's of England and frequently employed in Embassies, and by

(M) some (through mistake) made one of the First Founders of the Order of

the Garter. But among these, enumerated in the preamble to the Statutes,
both of Institution, (with their Exemplars) and those of King Henry V, he
is called Bartholomeus de Burghersh filius, and Bartholomew de Burghersh le
filz. (and so in divers places of our Publick Records) though we have seen
some transcripts of these Statutes, wherein the point hath been at the end
of the surname, and filius (so also le filz) joined to Dom. Johannes de
Beauchamp. But this was a plain mistake of the transcriber, since this
John was never married.

His first martial service was when the(N) King went into Bretagne 16
Edward III, next he went with the (O) Prince in the Kings Expedition into
France 20 Edward III, where he (P) staid with him at the Siege of Calais.

And for recompence of his expenses, in this Voyage, the King granted him

the (Q) Custody of all the lands and Tenements, which had belonged to John

de LOUEYNE deceased, till his Heir should come of age, without rendring any
thing therefore.

the 23 yead of King Edward, he went along with him into (R) Gascoigne.
And again (S) thither with the Prince of Wales, 29 Edward III, and had(T)

command in the main body of the Prince's Army. The following year, as the

(U) Prince retired from forraging the Country of Berry, and was got near

Romerentyne, this Knight (whom Froissard in several places calls the Lord

Bartholomew BRECHES, Sir Bartholomew (W) de BOUNES, de (X) BRENNES and de
(Y) BRUNES, but such mistakes are too frequent in that Author in this and

other mens names as also in the names of places) was set upon by a French
Ambushment, but he and his troops so gallantly behaved themselves, that
they kept the French in play till the Prince drew near, upon the sight of
whom they fled to Romerentyne (pursued by the English) and got into the
Castle, which the Prince commaned Sir John CHANDOS to Summon; but they
refusing to yield, after two desperate but fruitless assaults, the English
set it on fire which caused them to speedily surrender.

He (Z) attended the King in his expedition into France 33 Edward III and
towards the end of the year 37 Edward III (A) he and divers other Knights

of the Court were sent to Dover, to wait upon John King of France, who,
comming over to visit King Edward, landed there the 4 of January, and was
conducted by them to Canterbury where having offered a rich Jewel at the
Shrine of Thomas Becket, he after rode to Eltham to the King, and thence to
the Savoy where he was honorably entertained.

Half a year before this, we find the (B) King appointed the Treasurer of

his Chamber to give him 200 L upon the debt due to him from the King for
the Count de VENDEDOUR his prisoner.

He had two wives, the first was (C) Cecily, daughter and heir to Richard
WEYLAND, by whom he had divers lands in the (D) Counties of Norfolk,
Suffolk, Cambridge, Huntingdon, Essex, and Hertford; by her he had (E)
Elizabeth his daughter and Heir, married to (F) Edward le DESPENSER.
His second wife was (G) Margaret, sister to Sir Bartholomew BADLISMERE,
whom he left a widow; but she afterwards married (H) William de BURCESTER,

and dyed about the 18 year of King Richard the Second.

The (I) 5 of April, 43 Edward III he dyed, leaving Elizabeth, his daughter

and Heir, then about 24 years of age.

F Rot.Fin.20,
E.2.m.3.Pat. L Pat. 29, E.3 S Rot. Vase. 29,
I,E.3.p.3.m p. 2.m. II. E.3. m.8
20.Pat.19,E.
3.p.I.22,E.3. T Stow p. 256
p.I.m.32.23, M Camb. Brit.
E.3.p.I.m. 227. U Froiss. l.I.c
17. 25. E.3. 157
p.3. m. I. N Rot. Franc.
16, E.3. m. 20. W Ib, c. 208
G Pat. 5, E.3.
m.7. O Rot. Franc X Ib, c. 209
20, E.3. p.I
H Rot. Vase. II. m.6. Y Ib, c. 219
E3. Rot.
Vase. 12. E. 3 P Rot. Franc Z Ib. c. 207
m.,?5 21, E.3 p.I
m.6. A Froiss. c. 219
I Pat. 2I. E.3
p.2. dorfo.m Q Rot. Pat. 22 B 22. Janii
24. E.3. p2. m.33 Liberate 37, E.3. m.3

K Pat. 28. E.3 R Rot. Vase. 23 C&D: Claus. 9, E.3. m.27
p.3 E.3 m.I
E&F: Claus. 43, E.3. m.I
Vide Esc..2.
R. 2.n.I2.

G. Ex collect. pref. R
Glou.S.

H Claus. I8. R. 2.m.2I.

I Esc. 43, E.9. p.I. n. I4
sandy
sa...@mosquitonet.com

D. Spencer Hines

Apr 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/28/97

Sandy McDougall wrote:

<snip>

A complete and fascinating citation for Elias Ashmole's work.

Thank you very much. This is a real find. How smart you were to buy it
for $2.00.
--

D. Spencer Hines---"Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed Nomini Tuo da
gloriam." Henry V, [1387-1422] King of England---Ordered it to be sung