Castile

Paul Garner-Richards

Feb 16, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/16/99
Hello again,

Does anyone have a tree of the ancestors and descendants of Ferdinand III de
Castile, the father of Eleanor of Castile, wife of Edward I? I am also
looking for information on the ancestors of Eleanor Berenger of Provence,
wife of Henry III.

If Barney is reading this, I am not working on any project, just filling in
a few gaps in my family tree. Thanks for the help and I will get round to
obtaining a copy of Burkes.

Thanks to everyone who has given me help with my other enquiries. It is much
appreciated.

Thanks
Paul Garner-Richards
pa...@garner-richards.freeserve.co.uk

Brant Gibbard

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 23:45:11 -0000, "Paul Garner-Richards"
<pa...@garner-richards.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Hello again,
>
>Does anyone have a tree of the ancestors and descendants of Ferdinand III de
>Castile, the father of Eleanor of Castile, wife of Edward I? I am also
>looking for information on the ancestors of Eleanor Berenger of Provence,
>wife of Henry III.

FWIW, here is what I have for five generations of ancestry for
Ferdinand III. I am missing two people in the top generation, the
wives of Ramon Berenguer III of Barcelona, and Amadeus III of Savoy.

Any corrections or additions greatly welcomed.

Ancestors of Fernando III of Castile K. of Castile & Leon

First Generation

1. Fernando III of Castile K. of Castile & Leon (1) was born in
1200 (1) and died in 1252 (1).

1. Title; Between 1217-1252. (1) King of Castile
2. Title; Between 1230-1252. (1) King of Leon

Fernando married Elisabeth of Swabia, daughter of Philipp of
Swabia Roman K. and Unknown, in 1219 (1).

Fernando also married Jeanne de Dammartin, daughter of Simon de
Dammartin C. of Aumale & Dammartin and Unknown, in 1237 (1).

Second Generation (Parents)

2. Alfonso IX of Leon K. of Leon (1) was born in 1166 (1) and
died in 1230 (1).

1. Title; Between 1188-1230. (1) King of Leon

Alfonso married Teresa of Portugal, daughter of Sancho I of
Portugal K. of Portugal and Dulcia of Aragon, in 1190 (1). The
marriage ended in divorce in 1198.

Alfonso also married Berengaria of Castile, daughter of Alfonso
VIII of Castile K. of Castile and Eleanor of England, in 1198 (1).
The marriage ended in divorce in 1209.

3. Berengaria of Castile (1) was born in 1181 (1) and died in
1244 (1).

Berengaria married Alfonso IX of Leon K. of Leon, son of
Fernando II of Leon K. of Leon and Urraca of Portugal, in 1198 (1).
The marriage ended in divorce in 1209.

Third Generation (Grandparents)

4. Fernando II of Leon K. of Leon (1) , died in 1188 (1).

1. Title; Between 1157-1188. (1) King of Leon

Fernando married Urraca of Portugal, daughter of Afonso I of
Portugal K. of Portugal and Mathilde de Savoie, in 1165 (1). The
marriage ended in divorce in 1175.

Fernando also married Teresa de Lara, daughter of Nuño Perez de
Lara and Unknown, in 1176 (1).

5. Urraca of Portugal (1).

Urraca married Fernando II of Leon K. of Leon, son of Alfonso
VII of Castile King of Galicia & Castile and Berengaria of Barcelona,
in 1165 (1). The marriage ended in divorce in 1175.

6. Alfonso VIII of Castile K. of Castile (1) was born in 1155 (1)
and died in 1214 (1).

Alfonso married Eleanor of England, daughter of Henry II
Curtmantle K. of England and Eléonore d'Aquitaine, in 1177 (1).

7. Eleanor of England (2) was born in 1162 (2) and died in 1214
(2).

Eleanor married Alfonso VIII of Castile K. of Castile, son of
Sancho III of Castile K. of Castile and Blanca of Navarre, in 1177
(1).

Fourth Generation (Great Grandparents)

8. Alfonso VII of Castile King of Galicia & Castile (3) was born
in 1105 (3) and died in 1157 (3).

1. Title; Between 1112-1157. (3) King of Galicia
2. Title; Between 1126-1157. (3) King of Castile

Alfonso married Berengaria of Barcelona, daughter of Ramon
Berenguer III of Barcelona C. of Barcelona and Unknown, in 1128 (3).

Alfonso also married Rixa of Poland, daughter of Wladislaw II of
Poland K. of Poland and Unknown, in 1152 (3).

9. Berengaria of Barcelona (3) , died in 1149 (3).

Berengaria married Alfonso VII of Castile King of Galicia &
Castile, son of Raymond de Bourgogne C. of Burgundy and Urraca of
Castile Q. of Castile, in 1128 (3).

10. Afonso I of Portugal K. of Portugal (1, 4) was born in 1094
(4) and died in 1185 (4).

1. Title; Between 1112-1139. (4) Count of Portugal
2. Title; Between 1139-1185. (4) King of Portugal

Afonso married Mathilde de Savoie, daughter of Amédée III de
Savoie C. of Savoy and Unknown, in 1146 (4).

11. Mathilde de Savoie (4) , died in 1157 (4).

Mathilde married Afonso I of Portugal K. of Portugal, son of
Enriques of Portugal C. of Portugal and Teresa of Castile, in 1146
(4).

12. Sancho III of Castile K. of Castile (1) was born in 1135 (1)
and died on 31 Aug 1158 (5).

1. Title; Between 1157-1158. (1) King of Castile

Sancho married Blanca of Navarre, daughter of García Ramírez IV
of Navarre K. of Navarre and Marguerite de l'Aigle, in 1151 (1).

13. Blanca of Navarre (1) was born about 1134 (5) and died on 24
Jun 1158 (5).

Blanca married Sancho III of Castile K. of Castile, son of
Alfonso VII of Castile King of Galicia & Castile and Berengaria of
Barcelona, in 1151 (1).

14. Henry II Curtmantle K. of England (2) was born on 5 Mar 1133
(6) and died on 8 Jul 1189 (6).

1. Title; 1154-1189. (2) King of England

Henry married Eléonore d'Aquitaine, daughter of Guillaume X
d'Aquitaine D. of Aquitaine and Eléonore de Châtellereault, on 18 May
1152 (6).

15. Eléonore d'Aquitaine (2) was born in 1123 (6) and died on 31
Mar 1204 (6).

Eléonore married Louis VII the Young K. of France, son of Louis
VI the Fat K. of France and Adelaide de Maurienne, in 1137 (7). The
marriage ended in divorce in 1154.

Eléonore also married Henry II Curtmantle K. of England, son of
Geoffrey V Plantagenet C. of Anjou and Maine, D. of Normandy and
Matilda of England, on 18 May 1152 (6).

Fifth Generation (Great Great Grandparents)

16. Raymond de Bourgogne C. of Burgundy (3) , died in 1107 (3).

Raymond married Urraca of Castile Q. of Castile, daughter of
Alfonso VI of Castile K. of Castile and Constance de Bourgogne, in
1095 (3).

17. Urraca of Castile Q. of Castile (3) was born in 1082 (3) and
died on 8 Mar 1126 (8).

1. Title; Between 1109-1112. (3) Queen of Castile

Urraca married Raymond de Bourgogne C. of Burgundy in 1095 (3).

Urraca also married Alfonso I of Aragon K. of Aragon, son of
Sancho I (V) Ramírez of Aragon K. of Aragon and Navarre and Felicia of
Rameru, in 1109 (3). The marriage ended in divorce in 1111.

Urraca also married Pedro Gonzales C. of Lara.

18. Ramon Berenguer III of Barcelona C. of Barcelona (3).

20. Enriques of Portugal C. of Portugal (4) was born about 1069
(4) and died in 1112 (4).

1. Title; Between 1095-1112. (4) Count of Portugal.

Enriques married Teresa of Castile, daughter of Alfonso VI of
Castile K. of Castile and Unknown.

21. Teresa of Castile (4) was born in 1070 (4) and died in 1130
(4).

Teresa married Enriques of Portugal C. of Portugal.

22. Amédée III de Savoie C. of Savoy (4).

24. Alfonso VII of Castile King of Galicia & Castile (3) was born
in 1105 (3) and died in 1157 (3).

1. Title; Between 1112-1157. (3) King of Galicia
2. Title; Between 1126-1157. (3) King of Castile

Alfonso married Berengaria of Barcelona, daughter of Ramon
Berenguer III of Barcelona C. of Barcelona and Unknown, in 1128 (3).

Alfonso also married Rixa of Poland, daughter of Wladislaw II of
Poland K. of Poland and Unknown, in 1152 (3).

25. Berengaria of Barcelona (3) , died in 1149 (3).

Berengaria married Alfonso VII of Castile King of Galicia &
Castile, son of Raymond de Bourgogne C. of Burgundy and Urraca of
Castile Q. of Castile, in 1128 (3).

26. García Ramírez IV of Navarre K. of Navarre (5) was born after
1110 (5) and died on 21 Nov 1150 (5).

García married Marguerite de l'Aigle, daughter of Gilbert de
l'Aigle and Julienne de Perche.

García also married Urraca Alfonsa of Castile.

27. Marguerite de l'Aigle (5) was born about 1104 (5) and died on
25 May 1141 (5).

Marguerite married García Ramírez IV of Navarre K. of Navarre,
son of Ramiro of Navarre and Unknown.

28. Geoffrey V Plantagenet C. of Anjou and Maine, D. of Normandy
(2) was born on 24 Aug 1113 (6) , died on 7 Sep 1151 in Château du
Loir, France (6) and was buried in Le Mans, Maine, France.

Geoffrey lived with Adelaide of Angers.

Geoffrey also married Matilda of England, daughter of Henry I
Beauclerc K. of England and Matilda of Scotland, on 3 Apr 1127 in Le
Mans, Maine, France (6).

29. Matilda of England (2) was born in 1103 (2) and died on 10
Sep 1167 in Rouen, Normandy, France (6).

Proclaimed Queen of England 1141

Matilda married Emperor Henry V of Germany (6).

Matilda also married Geoffrey V Plantagenet C. of Anjou and
Maine, D. of Normandy, son of Foulques V the Young K. of Jerusalem, C.
of Anjou and Eremburge de Mans C. of Maine, on 3 Apr 1127 in Le Mans,
Maine, France (6).

30. Guillaume X d'Aquitaine D. of Aquitaine (8) was born in 1099
(8) and died on 9 Apr 1137 in Santiago, Spain (8).

Guillaume married Eléonore de Châtellereault before 1123.

Guillaume also married Emma of Limoges after 1130.

31. Eléonore de Châtellereault (8) , died after Mar 1130 (8).

Eléonore married Guillaume X d'Aquitaine D. of Aquitaine, son of
Guillaume IX d'Aquitaine D. of Aquitaine and Philippa de Toulouse,
before 1123.

Sources

1. Jiri Louda & Michael MacLagan, Lines of Succession, (London:
Macdonald Illustrated, c1981 ,). Table 47.
2. Jiri Louda & Michael MacLagan, Lines of Succession, (London:
Macdonald Illustrated, c1981 ,). Table 2.
3. Jiri Louda & Michael MacLagan, Lines of Succession, (London:
Macdonald Illustrated, c1981 ,). Table 45.
4. Jiri Louda & Michael MacLagan, Lines of Succession, (London:
Macdonald Illustrated, c1981 ,). Table 115.
5. Usenet. EDL...@MAIL2.LCIO.COM Wed Oct 14 20:39:08 1998.
6. Weis, Frederick Lewis and Sheppard, Walter Lee, Ancestral Roots of
Certain American Colonists who Came to America Before 1700. 7th ed.,
(Genealogical Publishing Co.). Line 1.
7. Joy Law, Fleur de Lys : The Kings and Queens of France, (London :
Hamish Hamilton, 1976). p. 42.
8. Usenet. EDL...@MAIL2.LCIA.COM Fri Sep 25 19:18:01.

Brant Gibbard
bgib...@inforamp.net
Toronto, Ont.

Brant Gibbard

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 23:45:11 -0000, "Paul Garner-Richards"
<pa...@garner-richards.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Hello again,
>
>Does anyone have a tree of the ancestors and descendants of Ferdinand III de
>Castile, the father of Eleanor of Castile, wife of Edward I? I am also
>looking for information on the ancestors of Eleanor Berenger of Provence,
>wife of Henry III.

Here is what I have on Ferdinand III's children and grandchildren.
This is undoubtedly incomplete. Additions and corrections welcomed.

Descendants of Fernando III of Castile K. of Castile & Leon

First Generation

1. Fernando III of Castile K. of Castile & Leon (1) was born in 1200
(1) and died in 1252 (1).

1 Title; Between 1217-1252. (1) King of Castile
2 Title; Between 1230-1252. (1) King of Leon

Fernando married Elisabeth of Swabia, daughter of Philipp of Swabia
Roman K. and Unknown, in 1219 (1).

They had the following children:
+ 2 M i. Alfonso X of Castile K. of Castile, Roman King
(1) was born in 1220 (1) and died in 1284 (1)
3 M ii. Fadrique of Castile (1) , died in 1277 (1).
Cause of death was Killed in battle (1).
+ 4 M iii. Felipe of Castile
5 M iv. Enrique of Castile (1) , died in 1304 (1).
+ 6 M v. Juan Manuel I of Peñafiel C. of Peñafiel &
Escalona (1), died in 1283 (1)

Fernando also married Jeanne de Dammartin, daughter of Simon de
Dammartin C. of Aumale & Dammartin and Unknown, in 1237 (1).

They had the following children:
7 M i. Fernando of Castile C. of Aumale (1) , died
about 1260 (1).
+ 8 F ii. Leonora of Castile (1) was born in 1244 (1)
and died in 1290 (1)

Second Generation (Children)

2. Alfonso X of Castile K. of Castile, Roman King (1) was born in
1220 (1) and died in 1284 (1).

1 Title; Between 1252-1284. (1) King of Castile
2 Title; 1257. (1) Roman King.

Alfonso married Yolanta of Aragon, daughter of Jaime I of Aragon K.
of Aragon and Yolanta of Hungary, in 1246 (1).

They had the following children:
+ 9 F i. Beatrix of Castile (1) was born in 1253 (1)
and died about 1280 (1)
+ 10 M ii. Fernando I de la Cerda (1) was born on 4 Jan
1256 (3) and died on 25 Jul 1275 (3)
+ 11 M iii. Sancho IV of Castile K. of Castile (1) was
born in 1258 (1) and died in 1296 (1)
+ 12 M iv. Pedro of Castile (1) , died in 1283 (1)
+ 13 M v. Juan of Valencia (1) , died in 1319 (1)

4. Felipe of Castile .

Felipe married Christine of Norway, daughter of Hakon IV of Norway
K. of Norway and Margaret Skulesdatter, in 1258 (1).

Felipe also married Leonora de Castro (1).

6. Juan Manuel I of Peñafiel C. of Peñafiel & Escalona (1) , died in
1283 (1).

Juan married Constanza of Aragon, daughter of Jaime I of Aragon K.
of Aragon and Yolanta of Hungary (1).

Juan also married Beatrice de Savoie, daughter of Amédée IV de
Savoie C. of Savoy and Unknown, in 1269 (1).

Marriage Notes: Had issue, Lords of Peñafiel, Villena & Escalona.

8. Leonora of Castile (1) was born in 1244 (1) and died in 1290
(1).

Leonora married Edward I of England K. of England, son of Henry III
of England K. of England and Eleanor de Provence, on 18 Oct 1254 (2).

They had the following children:
+ 14 F i. Joan of England (4) was born in 1272 (4)
and died on 23 Apr 1307 (5)
+ 15 F ii. Margaret of England (4) was born in 1275 (4)
and died in 1318 (4)
+ 16 F iii. Elizabeth of England (6) was born on 7 Aug
1282 (5) and died on 5 May 1316 (5)
+ 17 M iv. Edward II of England K. of England (4) was
born on 25 Apr 1284 in Caernarvon Castle, Wales (2) and died on 21
Sep 1327 in Berkeley Castle, Glos., England (2)

Third Generation (Grandchildren)

9. Beatrix of Castile (1) was born in 1253 (1) and died about 1280
(1).

Beatrix married Guglielmo VII of Montferrat Mgv. of Montferrat in
1271 (1).

10. Fernando I de la Cerda (1) was born on 4 Jan 1256 (3) and died
on 25 Jul 1275 (3).

Fernando married Blanche de France, daughter of St. Louis IX de
France K. of France and Marguerite de Provence, in 1269 (1).

They had the following children:
18 M i. Fernando II de la Cerda .

Fernando married Juana Nuñez de Lara.
19 M ii. Alfonso de la Cerda .

11. Sancho IV of Castile K. of Castile (1) was born in 1258 (1) and
died in 1296 (1).

1 Title; Between 1284-1296. (1) King of Castile

Sancho married Maria de Molina, daughter of Alfonso de Molina and
Unknown, in 1282 (1).

They had the following children:
20 F i. Isabella of Castile was born in 1283 and died
in 1328.

Isabella married Jean III de Bretagne D. of Brittany, son of
Artur II de Bretagne D. of Brittany and Marie de Limoges V. of
Limoges, in 1310 (1).
21 M ii. Fernando IV of Castile K. of Castile was born
in 1285 and died in 1312.

Fernando married Constanza of Portugal, daughter of Dinis of
Portugal K. of Portugal and Isabella the Saint, in 1302 (1).
22 M iii. Pedro of Castile was born in 1290 and died in
1319.

Pedro married Maria of Aragon, daughter of Jaime II of Aragon K.
of Aragon & Sicily and Blanche d'Anjou, in 1310 (1).
23 M iv. Felipe of Castile was born in 1292 and died
in 1327.
24 F v. Beatrix of Castile was born in 1293 and died
in 1359.

Beatrix married Afonso IV of Portugal K. of Portugal, son of
Dinis of Portugal K. of Portugal and Isabella the Saint, in 1309 (1).

12. Pedro of Castile (1) , died in 1283 (1).

Pedro married Marguerite of Narbonne in 1281 (1).

13. Juan of Valencia (1) , died in 1319 (1). Cause of death was
Killed in battle (1).

Juan married Isabella of Montferrat in 1281 (1).

Juan also married Maria Diaz de Haro in 1287 (1).

14. Joan of England (4) was born in 1272 (4) and died on 23 Apr
1307 (5).
Another name for Joan was Acre, Joan of.

Joan married Sir Gilbert de Clare, son of Richard de Clare and Maud
de Lacy, in 1290 (4).

They had the following children:

25 F i. Eleanor de Clare was born in Oct 1292 and
died on 30 Jun 1337.

Eleanor married Sir Hugh le Despencer, son of Hugh le Despencer
E. of Winchester and Isabel de Beauchamp, in May 1306 (8).
26 F ii. Margaret de Clare was born in Oct 1292 and
died on 9 Apr 1342.

Margaret married ? ?.

Margaret also married Sir Hugh de Audley, son of Hugh de Audley
and Isolde de Mortimer.

Joan also married Ralph de Monthermer E. of Gloucester in 1297 (4).

15. Margaret of England (4) was born in 1275 (4) and died in 1318
(4).

Margaret married John II of Brabant D. of Brabant and Limburg in
1290 (4).

They had the following children:
27 M i. John III of Brabant D. of Brabant and Limburg
was born in 1300 and died on 5 Dec 1355 in Brussels, Belgium.

John married Marie d'Evreux, daughter of Louis de France C. of
Evreux and Etampes and Marguerite d'Artois L. of Brie-Comte-Robert,
about 19 Jul 1311 (9).

16. Elizabeth of England (6) was born on 7 Aug 1282 (5) and died on
5 May 1316 (5).

Elizabeth married Humphrey VIII de Bohun 4th E. of Hereford and
Essex, son of Humphrey VII de Bohun E. of Hereford and Essex and Maud
de Fiennes.

They had the following children:
28 F i. Margaret de Bohun , died in 1394.

Margaret married Hugh Courtenay 2nd E. of Devon (6).
29 M ii. William de Bohun 1st E. of Northampton was
born about 1312 and died on 16 Sep 1360.

William married Elizabeth de Badlesmere, daughter of Sir
Bartholomew de Badlesmere and Margaret de Clare, after 1332.

17. Edward II of England K. of England (4) was born on 25 Apr 1284
in Caernarvon Castle, Wales (2) and died on 21 Sep 1327 in Berkeley
Castle, Glos., England (2). Cause of death was Murdered.

1 Title; 1307-1327. (4) King of England

Edward married Isabelle de France, daughter of Philippe IV the Fair
K. of France and Jeanne I of Navarre Q. of Navarre, about 25 Jan 1308
in Boulogne, France (7).

They had the following children:
30 M i. Edward III of England K. of England was born
on 13 Nov 1312 in Windsor, Berks., England and died on 21 Jun 1377 in
Richmond, Surrey, England.
Died at Sheen Palace.

Edward married Philippe d'Hainaut, daughter of Guillaume III the
Good C. of Holland and Hainault and Jeanne de Valois, on 24 Jan 1328
in York, Yorks., England (2).
31 M ii. John of Eltham E. of Cornwall was born about
15 Aug 1316 in Eltham Palace, England and died about 13 Sep 1336 in
Perth, Scotland.
32 F iii. Eleanor of England was born on 18 Jun 1318 in
Woodstock, England and died on 22 Apr 1355 in Deventer, Netherlands.

Eleanor married Reinald II of Guelders D. of Guelders, son of
Reinald I of Guelders C. of Guelders and Zutphen and Margaret of
Flanders.
33 F iv. Joan of England was born on 5 Jul 1321 in
London, Middx., England and died on 7 Sep 1362 in Hertford, Herts.,
England.
Born in the Tower of London.

Joan married David II Bruce K. of Scots, son of Robert I Bruce K.
of Scots and Elizabeth de Burgh, on 17 Jul 1328 in Berwick-on-Tweed,
England (9).

Sources

1. Jiri Louda & Michael MacLagan, Lines of Succession, (London:
Macdonald Illustrated, c1981 ,). Table 47.

2. Weis, Frederick Lewis and Sheppard, Walter Lee, Ancestral Roots of

Certain American Colonists who Came to America Before 1700. 7th ed.,
(Genealogical Publishing Co.). Line 1.

3. Usenet. EDLMANN@MAIL@.LCIA.COM Sun Oct 11 10:38:29 1998.

4. Jiri Louda & Michael MacLagan, Lines of Succession, (London:

Macdonald Illustrated, c1981 ,). Table 3.
5. Usenet. EDL...@MAIL2.LCIA.COM Thu Sep 17 23:51:14 1998.
6. Wagner, Anthony, Pedigree and Progress : Essays in the Genealogical
Interpretation of History, (London : Philimore, 1975). Pedigree 3.
7. Usenet. leov...@iinet.net.au Mon Oct 05 08:05:55 1998.
8. Usenet. dian...@ufl.edu Tue Oct 13 10:32:09 1998.
9. Usenet. leov...@iinet.net.au Fri Nov 20 04:56:41 1998.

John Carmi Parsons

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Comments interspersed below.

On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Brant Gibbard wrote:

> FWIW, here is what I have for five generations of ancestry for
> Ferdinand III. I am missing two people in the top generation, the
> wives of Ramon Berenguer III of Barcelona, and Amadeus III of Savoy.
>

> Ancestors of Fernando III of Castile K. of Castile & Leon

[snip]

> Fernando [III] also married Jeanne de Dammartin, daughter of Simon de

> Dammartin C. of Aumale & Dammartin and Unknown, in 1237 (1).

Jeanne's mother was Marie, sometimes called Marie Talvas, countess in her
own right of Ponthieu and Montreuil (1198-1250). Simon, who was NOT count
of Aumale, was her first husband and died in 1239. (He was often assigned
the county of Aumale because his daughter Jeanne ultimately inherited it,
but it came to her on the death of a cousin in 1263, not from her father.)

> Alfonso [VII] married Berengaria of Barcelona, daughter of Ramon

> Berenguer III of Barcelona C. of Barcelona and Unknown, in 1128 (3).

Berengaria's mother was Dulcia/Douce, in her own right countess of
Provence (married Ramon 1112, said to have been living 1190[?]).

> Alfonso [VII] also married Rixa of Poland, daughter of Wladislaw II of

> Poland K. of Poland and Unknown, in 1152 (3).

Rixa/Richenza's mother was Agnes v. Babenburg (married 1125 X 1127, d.
1157), daughter of Margrave Leopold III of Austria.

> Affonso [I of Portugal] married Mathilde de Savoie, daughter of Amédée III de

> Savoie C. of Savoy and Unknown, in 1146 (4).

Mathilde's mother was Mathilde (married ca 1120, d. 1145), daughter of Gui
VI, dauphin of Vienne.

> Marguerite married García Ramírez IV of Navarre K. of Navarre,
> son of Ramiro of Navarre and Unknown.

According to ES (Ysenburg-Buedingen/Freytag v. Loringhoven), Ramiro d.
1116 married a woman named Elvira, who was conjectured to be a daughter of
Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar, otherwise "El Cid Campeador." This identification
was hypothetical and more recently may have been conclusively disproved.

John Carmi Parsons

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Julio Gonzalez, *Reinado y Diplomas de Fernando III, i: Estudio* (Cordoba,
1980), pp. 96-113, gives the following information for the children of
Fernando III of Castile:

Fernando's wife appears originally to have been named Ethisa, but all
Fernando's charters issued in Castile during this marriage give her name
as Beatriz.

1. Alfonso (X), b. Toledo 23 November 1221. His marriage and children are
noted below.

2. Fadrique (Frederick), b. shortly before 13 Sept 1223. The cause of his
death in 1277 was not a battle; he had persistently rebelled against his
brother Alfonso X, who finally had to imprison him and, in 1277, had him
secretly put to death in his prison. See Antonio Ballesteros Beretta's
magisterial biography of Alfonso X for details.

3. Ferdinand, b. shortly before 25 March 1225, living in 1243 and perhaps
in 1248, but was no longer living when Fernando III captured Seville in
that year.

4. Leonor, b.c. 1227, d. young.

5. Berengaria, b. 1228; made a nun at las Huelgas, Burgos, in 1243;
died late in 1288 or very early in 1289.

6. Enrique (Henry), b. shortly before 10 March 1230. Among the more
colorful royals of the 13th century, he too rebelled against Alfonso X and
following Enrique's defeat at Moron in 1255 he had to flee from Castile.
His cousin Louis IX of France refused to have anything to do with him, so
he took refuge at the English court where his half-sister Eleanor was
married to Edward, the heir to the throne. After four comfortable years
there, Henry III had to ask him to leave, so he went off to Africa to
serve as a mercenary with the Muslims in Morocco. In the 1260s he joined
his kinsman Charles, count of Anjou, in the latter's campaign to subdue
southern Italy and become king of Sicily. Charles thought highly of him
and saw to it that Henry was made Senator of Rome. In 1268 when Henry's
maternal cousin Conradin of Swabia (Hohenstaufen) made his ill-advised
invasion of Italy, Henry of Castile abruptly abandoned Charles and joined
Conradin. After the latter's defeat at Tagliacozzo and execution, Henry
vanished into a Neapolitan prison for 30 years. There are indications in
English royal wardrobe accounts that his sister, Queen Eleanor of England,
kept in touch with him during these years. Freed in 1298, Henry returned
to Castile, where he served as a politically erratic regent for his
grandnephew, Ferdinand IV. He died in August 1304, having allegedly married a
lady of the Lara family, but he left no reliably documented issue.

7. Felipe, b. shortly before 5 Dec. 1231. Though destined for the Church, he
abandoned his orders in 1258 to marry a Norwegian princess, who according to
tradition came to Castile to marry one of Felipe's brothers; when she arrived
he was so stunned by her beauty that he insisted upon marrying her instead.
(She was Christine, daughter of Haakon IV; b. 1234, she died childless in
1262.) Felipe subsequently married Leonor de Castro, but left no issue.

8. Sancho, b. probably 1233; like Felipe intended for the Church, he went on
to become archbishop of Toledo. Died 1275.

9. Juan Manuel, b. 1234, d. Nov. 1283. Lord of Escalona and Penafiel.

10. Maria, d. young very shortly before her mother Queen Beatriz in Nov.
1235, probably soon after Maria was born.

Upon the death of Fernando III's first wife in Nov. 1235, his mother Queen
Berengaria became concerned lest he become involved in liaisons with common
women unbecoming his royal dignity, and in her search for a new wife for
him she probably turned to her sister, Queen Blanche of France.

Fernando III took his second wife, Jeanne de Dammartin, in October 1237.
She was the eldest daughter and heir of Simon, a younger brother of Count
Renaud of Dammartin and Aumale (and jure uxoris of Boulogne), by Marie
"Talvas," in her own right countess of Ponthieu and Montreuil. Jeanne was
most probably born sometime between 1215 and 1220 and in 1235 had been
betrothed to Henry III of England, but Louis IX of France terminated the
betrothal because he did not want Henry to gain control of Jeanne's small
but strategically located inheritance, which lay immediately next to
Normandy (which Henry still claimed in 1237) and which controlled the
Somme estuary. Instead Louis (probably with his mother Blanche's active
assistance) instead packed Jeanne off to Castile to marry Fernando. After
Fernando III's death in 1252, Jeanne at first remained in Castile but
became estranged from her stepson Alfonso X who, Jeanne claimed, did not
permit her to control all the lands and incomes Fernando III had meant her
to have as a widow. She embraced the cause of her stepson Henry (above),
and as a result was compelled to leave Castile in 1254. She returned to
her native county, where her mother's death in 1250 had made her countess,
and lived there for the rest of her life. In 1258 she succeeded her cousin,
daughter of Count Renaud of Dammartin and Aumale, as countess of Aumale.
(Dammartin passed to another cousin.) In 1260 she took a second husband,
John de Nesle, but had no further issue. She died in March 1279. She
bore Fernando III five children:

11. Fernando, known in Castile as Fernando "de Pontis" ("of Ponthieu"),
born probably in the winter of 1238/39; went with his mother to Ponthieu
in 1254, was given lands there by her in 1257, and ca 1260 married Laure
de Montfort-l'Amaury, dame d'Epernon. They are known to have had only one
child, John, who was probably born ca 1263. Fernando de Pontis will have
died ca 1265 (his widow Laure was married by 1267 to the heir of the count
of Grandpre, and died in 1270, apparently w/o further issue). After his
grandmother Jeanne's death in 1279, John claimed a considerable amount of
land in Ponthieu he claimed Jeanne had intended him to have, and carried
out a long legal dispute in the French king's court against his aunt and
uncle, Queen Eleanor and King Edward I of England. Early in 1285 these
claims were resolved when John agreed to release to them all the right he
claimed in Ponthieu in return for 14,000 pounds Paris, and Eleanor and
Edward agreed to give up their claims to the county of Aumale.

12. Eleanor, b. late in 1241, d. Nov. 1290. Married 1 Nov. 1254 Edward,
later Edward I of England (1239-1307). They had sixteen children, for
whom I posted documentation to this list last year; it should be easily
recoverable from dejanews.

13. Louis, b. shortly before 30 April 1243; the date of his death is not
known with any certainty, but he certainly died before his mother Jeanne
drew up her testament in 1276. (Had he still be alive at that time, he
would have been her indisputable heir for Ponthieu, and in fact in one of
his few authentic charters, from 1269, he calls himself "heredero major
del condado de Pontis [first heir to the county of Ponthieu]"). He
married Juana de Manzaneda Giron, senora of Gaton, who survived him, and
left a son Louis, fl. April 1279. He is also said, on slender authority,
to have had a daughter Berengaria (OOW?) who married one Maimon "de castro
Aulino" before 1290 (F. Menendez Pidal de Navascues, *Heraldica medieval
Espanola, I: La casa real de Leon y Castille [Madrid, 1982], p. 106).

14. Ximen (Simon), of whom nothing is known except that he died young and
was buried in a monastery in Toledo, a statement from the *Primera cronica
general de Espana* written under the direction of his half-brother Alfonso X.
A burial in the north of Castile strongly suggests that he must have died
before Fernando III moved his military operations permanently to the south of
Spain early in 1244, when Queen Jeanne went with him. They never again lived
in the North. It is most likely, then, that Simon lived only briefly late in
1243 or very early in 1244.

15. John, date of birth unknown; buried in the *ecclesia mayor* of Cordoba,
that is, the spectacular cathedral there that was converted from a mosque. This
can tell us only that he died after Fernando III and Jeanne moved to the South
early in 1244. Presumably he was born either that year or the next, and lived
only a very short time. He was almost certainly not born after Fernando III
conquered Seville in 1248, or he would most likely have been buried in that
city.

John Parsons

Francisco Antonio Doria

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99

I have one bastard by Fernando III, Sancho Fernandez, m. Teresa Gomes de Soria. A saint with a bastard? Please do correct me. Might be Fernando II's son.

Chico Doria

Francisco Antonio Doria
Prix Caumont-La Force 1995
(Conféderation Internationale de Généalogie et d'Héraldique.)
fad...@rio.com.br
http://www.rio-v.com/costadoria
Tels.: 021-547-5541/024-231-4133/021-9943-6968
All material posted is copyrighted. Please refer to the author to quote it.

John Carmi Parsons

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Leo, Enrique Florez' *Memorias de las Reinas Catolicas*, vol. i, pp.
291ff, indicates that the marriage of Fernando II and Urraca of Portugal
produced only one child, Alfonso IX. Fernando then married Teresa de
Trava in 1175/76, and she died in 1180 without bearing him further
children. Around 1185, Fernando is said to have married Urraca Lopez de
Haro, who bore him two sons, Sancho (d.s.p. 1220) and Garcia who also
d.s.p. though no date is given. However not all later authorities accept
the unions with Teresa de Trava or Urraca Lopez as legitimate marriages,
so that Sancho d. 1220 might have been OOW.

John Parsons

John Carmi Parsons

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
Sorry I addressed the last message to Leo instead of Chico!

Further to my last posting, I find that ES (Ysenburg/Loringhoven) confuses
matters somewhat. Here Fernando II has only 2 wives, Urraca of Portugal
and Teresa Nunez de Lara, whom he espoused in 1176. The first marriage
produced only the future Alfonso IX. The second produced Sancho (1177-1217),
lord of Aguilar del Campo, m. Teresa Lopez de Haro and left issue; Garcia
(1179-84) and a Fernando who d. 1187.

So the information isn't at all congruent. Florez gives Fernando II 3
wives, ES 2, and the names don't agree--Florez says Teresa was the dau. of
Fernando Fernandez, count of Trava, and widow of Nuno de Lara, whereas ES
makes her DAUGHTER of Nuno de Lara, and doesn't mention Urraca Lopez de
Haro at all. ES's Sancho d. 1217, while Florez' d. 1220.

So possibly the Sancho d. 1220 was an OOW son of Fernando II by Urraca Lopez
de Haro, whoever she may have been.

John P.

Todd A. Farmerie

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
John Carmi Parsons wrote:

> Comments interspersed below.

> On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Brant Gibbard wrote:
>
> > FWIW, here is what I have for five generations of ancestry for
> > Ferdinand III. I am missing two people in the top generation, the
> > wives of Ramon Berenguer III of Barcelona, and Amadeus III of Savoy.

Ramon Berenger III married several times, but the mother of this
daughter was Dulce of Provence.

> > Marguerite married García Ramírez IV of Navarre K. of Navarre,
> > son of Ramiro of Navarre and Unknown.
>

> According to ES (Ysenburg-Buedingen/Freytag v. Loringhoven), Ramiro d.
> 1116 married a woman named Elvira, who was conjectured to be a daughter of
> Rodrigo Diaz de Vivar, otherwise "El Cid Campeador." This identification
> was hypothetical and more recently may have been conclusively disproved.

This identification is still almost universally accepted among the
spanish genealogical community.

taf

Todd A. Farmerie

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99

The best source for these children and their mothers is:

Vajay, Szabolcs de. From Alfonso VII to Alfonso X. in Studies in
Genealogy and Family History in Tribute to Charles Evans on the Occasion
of his Eightieth Birthday. 366-417 (1989).

taf

Francisco Antonio Doria

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
>So possibly the Sancho d. 1220 was an OOW son of Fernando II by Urraca Lopez
>de Haro, whoever she may have been.

Yes, I suspect that. Chico

Brant Gibbard

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99
On Wed, 17 Feb 1999 10:15:29 -0500, "Todd A. Farmerie"
<ta...@po.cwru.edu> wrote:

>John Carmi Parsons wrote:

Thanks to both of you for the assistance. Much appreciated.

John Yohalem

Feb 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/22/99

John Yohalem
ench...@herodotus.com
John.Y...@Metopera.org

"What this country needs is a good five-cent reverie" -- Paul Mellon

Brant Gibbard wrote in message <36ca1dec...@news.istar.ca>...

>On Tue, 16 Feb 1999 23:45:11 -0000, "Paul Garner-Richards"
><pa...@garner-richards.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

> 1. Fernando III of Castile K. of Castile & Leon (1) was born in
>1200 (1) and died in 1252 (1).
>
> 1. Title; Between 1217-1252. (1) King of Castile
> 2. Title; Between 1230-1252. (1) King of Leon
>
> Fernando married Elisabeth of Swabia, daughter of Philipp of
>Swabia Roman K. and Unknown, in 1219 (1).

Elisabeth (who is also known as Margaret and Beatrix) is the daughter of
Philipp's one and only wife, Irina Angelina, previously married to a prince
of Sicily (no issue), the daughter of Isaac II Angelos, Emperor of Rome
(Byzantium) and his first wife, who is unknown.

Elisabeth's sisters were Beatrix, first wife of Emperor Otto IV; Kunegonde,
wife of Otakar I of Bohemia; and Maria, first wife of Henry II of Brabant.
The first was childless, the other three sisters were ancestresses of lines
whose heiresses ultimately married Habsburgs. But who didn't?

Jean Coeur de Lapin

Brant Gibbard

Feb 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/25/99
On Mon, 22 Feb 1999 23:43:36 -0500, "John Yohalem"
<ench...@herodotus.com> wrote:

>> Fernando married Elisabeth of Swabia, daughter of Philipp of
>>Swabia Roman K. and Unknown, in 1219 (1).
>

>Elisabeth (who is also known as Margaret and Beatrix) is the daughter of
>Philipp's one and only wife, Irina Angelina, previously married to a prince
>of Sicily (no issue), the daughter of Isaac II Angelos, Emperor of Rome
>(Byzantium) and his first wife, who is unknown.

Thanks,
I had her in my file, but only linked to her first husband, I missed
the marriage to Philipp somehow.

>Elisabeth's sisters were Beatrix, first wife of Emperor Otto IV;

> Kunegonde, wife of Otakar I of Bohemia;

Not to Premysl Ottokar I, but to his son, Wenceslas I.

>and Maria, first wife of Henry II of Brabant.
>The first was childless, the other three sisters were ancestresses of lines
>whose heiresses ultimately married Habsburgs. But who didn't?
>
>Jean Coeur de Lapin

Brant Gibbard
bgib...@inforamp.net
Toronto, Ont.