Dankblog: Vietnam #2

Dänk 1010011010

Dec 1, 2009, 12:24:45 AM12/1/09
Dankblog: Vietnam #2

Ho Chi Minh City is incredible. The Vietnamese people are very
civilized, and
while the country remains very poor, it is developing at a pace that
makes
your head spin, and it does deserve to be called a third-world
country.

One thing that impresses me about Vietnamese culture is their
dedication to
quality. The markets are filled with the highest-quality merchandise,
all
handcrafted and detailed to perfection. Vietnamese are excellent
artists and
take great pride in their work. Shop around first to get a feel for
the best
prices, but do keep in mind that you are paying for quality. If you
want cheap
plastic trinkets, go to China or Mexico.

Vietnamese are very efficient people, which is why their economy is
growing
faster than America's. Nothing is wasted, and the people live on a
fraction of
what an average American needs to feel comfortable. No air-
conditioned SUVs
here, just scooters that use as much gasoline per month as one
American driver
uses per day. As a result, Vietnam uses less energy per unit of
economic output,
giving it a competitive advantage.

I saw a cat yesterday, and it occurred to me that it was the only cat
I've seen
since I got here. There are lots of restaurants in Saigon, and you
can get a kebob
sandwich for only 15,000 dong (US$0.90).

There also seems to be no crime in Ho Chi Minh City. Tourists can
walk through
alleys and parks even late at night and not worry about their
safety.
Vietnamese are civilized and take pride in making their country an
attractive
destination for Americans.