INDIA TO LIVE BY WORDS?

Mr.Hindustani

Oct 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM10/1/97

ahmed...@aol.com (AhmedDiwan) wrote:
>India to live by words:
(Reposted)
Here are some good words by some great people about our incomparable
country.

Mark Twain: "India is the cradle of the human race, the
birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, grandmother of
legend, and great grand mother of tradition. Our most valuable and
most instructive materials in the history of man are treasured up in
India only."

Will Durant: "India was the mother of our race and Sanskrit the mother
of Europe's languages. She was the mother of our philosophy, mother
through the Arabs, of much of our mathematics, mother through
Buddha, of the ideals embodied in Christianity, mother through village
communities of self government and democracy. Mother India is in
many ways the mother of us all."

Colonel James Todd: "Where can we look for sages like those whose
systems of philosophy were prototypes of those of Greece: to whose
works Plato, Thales & Pythagorus were disciples? Where
do I find astronomers whose knowledge of planetary systems yet
excites wonder in Europe as well as the architects and sculptors whose
works claim our admiration, and the musicians who could make the
mind oscillate from joy to sorrow, from tears to smile with the change
of modes and varied intonation?"

Sylvia Levi: "She [India] has left indelible imprints on one fourth
of the human race in the course of a long succession of centuries. She
has the right to reclaim ... her place amongst the great nations
summarizing and symbolizing the spirit of humanity. From Persia to the
Chinese sea, from the icy regions of Siberia to Islands of Java and
Borneo, India has propagated her beliefs, her tales, and her
civilization."

Albert Einstein: "We owe a lot to Indians, who taught us
how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could
have been made."

Shri Aurovindo: "India of the ages is not dead nor has she
spoken her last creative word; she lives and has still something to do
for herself and the human peoples. And that which must seek now to
awake is not anglicised oriental people, docile pupil of the West and
doomed to repeat the cycle of the occident's success and failure, but
still the ancient immemorable Shakti recovering her deepest self,
lifting her head higher towards the supreme source of light and
strength and turning to discover the complete meaning and a vaster
form of her Dharma."

A Salute to our country.

Excellent Quotes about our classical civilization.

I wish India can preserve her civilization that so universally evoked such
lofty emotions among such learned men throughout history.

I wish our elites do not waste our civilization away as mere market or cheap
labor colony or as a lab for testing away unproven ideologies for the benefit
of rich nations or become a dumping ground for ideologies that have proven not
to work even in west.

Have you noticed that nobody says nice things about modern India anymore except
those who are interested capturing power or those who are interested in
exploiting India as cheap labor market or vast consumer market? Other than
tales of ills, evils, persecutions, exploitations, poverty and sufferings and
apathy, India is not much heard about. Sad to say that our classical
civilization is lost to India. We are left with only words and memories of its
past. To preserve even that has become an uphill battle for India. We can
occasionally amuse ourselves with word of praise said by historical giants but
we can not live and feel that civilization in the present tense. We have
nothing to pass on to our future generations except words. Most will even
fail to do that.

I have noticed that some the spirit behind the celebration of India's 50th
anniversary is not to glorify the Indian civilization per se but rather to
glorify and pursue her break from it. For the ruling elites of India, Indian
Independence have always symbolized not so much as a break from the imposition
of western traditions on India but rather a break from India=92s traditional
civilization and its impositions on suffering classes. It is well-known
practice among our ruling elites to praise Indian civilization or her
classical philosophies in order to earn the goodwill of the masses and than
spend the goodwill so earned in order to pursue policies and ideologies that
hurt the very foundations of that civilization and her sustaining traditions.
Thus the exercise becomes an exercise for the self-deception of ordinary
people. Until our leadership not only talks civilization but also acts for
civilization, It won't remove cynicism and apathy and agony of great many of
India's people. We will be left with only words to live by. If we let our
politicians fool us by wordplay, words will remain as our only heritage.
Manubhai Desai

C-yaz, Shaz's updated homepage is at http://titan.glo.be/~gd30897
Icq Account #3508351
Shaz is 100% PURE HINDUSTANI and proud of his Motherland!!!!!