Fake "quotes" with corrections thereto

dsharavi

Feb 26, 2009, 7:12:42 PM2/26/09
On Feb 26, 11:53 am, John Manning <jrobe...@terra.com.br>wrote:
>Israel's Ethnic Cleansing of Palestinians [in their own words]

Amazing how every sone Yisrael feels compelled to post this twaddle,
as if it were all new and previously undiscovered.

>"His Majesty's Government view with favor the establishment
>in Palestine of a national home for the Jewish people, and
>will use their best endeavors to facilitate the achievement
>of this object, it being clearly understood that nothing
>shall be done which may prejudice the civil and religious
>rights of existing non-Jewish communities in Palestine, or
>the rights and political status enjoyed by Jews in any
>other country."
>~~ The Balfour Declaration to Baron Rothchild, on the 2nd of November,
>1917

How the foregoing exemplifies "Israel's Ethnic Cleansing of
Palestinians[sic] [in their own words]" is a mystery.
>===

>"The past leaders of our movement left us a clear message to keep Eretz
>Israel from the Sea to the Jordan River for future generations, for the
>mass aliya [immigration], and for the Jewish people, all of whom will be
>gathered into this country."
>~ Former Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir declares at a Tel Aviv memorial
>service for former Likud leaders, November 1990. Jerusalem Domestic
>Radio Service.

No source for this, except Pallie sites.

>“We must expel Arabs and take their places."
>~ David Ben Gurion, future Prime Minister of Israel, 1937, Ben Gurion
>and the Palestine Arabs, Oxford University Press, 1985.

The quote is falsified, and the cite is wrong. The original misquote
came from the English language edition of The Birth of the Palestinian
Refugee Problem 1947-1949 by Benny Morris, citing an October 1937
letter from Ben Gurion. The letter actually reads:
"We do not wish, we do not need to expel the Arabs and take their
place. All our aspirations are built upon the assumption--proven
throughout all our activity in the Land--that there is enough room in
the country for ourselves and the Arabs."

>"Spirit the penniless population across the frontier by denying it
>employment... Both the process of expropriation and the removal of the
>poor must be carried out discreetly and circumspectly."
>~ Theodore Herzl, founder of the World Zionist Organization, speaking of
>the Arabs of Palestine,Complete Diaries, June 12, 1985 entry.

Another falsified quote. Herzl's actual entry for 12 June 1895 reads:

“When we occupy the land, we shall bring immediate benefits to the
state that receives us. We must expropriate gently the private
property on the estates assigned to us. We shall TRY TO spirit the
penniless population across the border BY PROCURING EMPLOYMENT FOR IT
in the transit countries, while denying it any employment in our
country. The property owners will come over to our side. Both the
process of expropriation and the removal of the poor must be carried
out discretely and circumspectly. Let the owners of immovable property
believe that they are cheating us, selling us things for more than
they are worth. But we are not going to sell them anything back. It
goes without saying that we shall respectfully tolerate persons of
other faiths and protect their property, their honor, and their
freedom"
Complete Diaries of Theodor Herzl, 12 June 1895, R. Patai ed., tr
Harry Zohn, pp. 88-89

The penniless population was not necessarily Arab, and there is no
mention of Ottoman Palestine. As of June 1895, Herzl had not yet
formulated his ideas which he would publish in Der Juden-Staat.
Herzl's June 1895 entries show that he was focussed on South America,
particularly Argentina, as the future site of Jewish resettlement. "I
am assuming that we shall go to Argentina" (13th June entry). In
Herzl's view, South America "would have a lot in its favor on account
of its distance from militarized and seedy Europe … If we are in South
America, the establishment of our State will not come to Europe's
notice for a considerable period of time."

>"We have to kill all the Palestinians unless they are resigned to live
>here as slaves."
>~ Chairman Heilbrun of the Committee for the Re-election of General
>Shlomo Lahat, the mayor of Tel Aviv, October 1983.

The sole source for this fake quote is Ralph Schoenman's Hidden
History of Zionism, which cites a private conversation with Fouzi El-
Asmar and Salih Baransi in October 1983. Former Mayor Lahat stated
that he never employed, knew or heard of any “Chairman Heilbrun”. The
Mayor also stated he would never have allowed any of his employees to
make such a remark, which contradicted his efforts on behalf of peace
between Israelis and Palestinians.

>"We walked outside, Ben-Gurion accompanying us. Allon repeated his
>question, What is to be done with the Palestinian population?'
>Ben-Gurion waved his hand in a gesture which said ‘Drive them out’”
>~ Yitzhak Rabin, leaked censored version of Rabin memoirs, published in
>the New York Times, 23 October 1979.

Clearly faked, as no one in 1948 referred to the Arabs as
"Palestinians".

From Rabin's Memoirs, pp 383-384:

"While the fighting was still in progress, we had to grapple
with a troublesome problem, for whose solution we could
not draw upon any previous experience: the fate of the civilian
population of Lod and Ramle, numbering some 50,000. Not
even Ben-Gurion could offer any solution, and during the
discussions at operational headquarters, he remained silent, a
s was his habit in all such situations. Clearly, we could not
leave Lod's hostile and armed populace in our rear, where it
could endanger the supply route to Yiftach (another brigade),
which was advancing eastward. We walked outside, Ben-Gurion
accompanying us. Allon repeated his question: "What is to be
done with the population?" B.G. waved his hand in a gesture
which said, "Drive them out!"

"Allon and I held a consultation. I agreed that it was essential
to drive the inhabitants out. We took them on foot toward the
Bet Horon Road, assuming that the legion would be obliged
to look after them, thereby shouldering logistic difficulties which
could burden its fighting capacity, making things easier for us.

"'Driving out' is a term with a harsh ring. Psychologically, this
was one of the most difficult actions we undertook. The population
of Lod did not leave willingly. There was no way of avoiding
the use of force and warning shots in order to make the
inhabitants march the ten to fifteen miles to the point where
they met up with the legion. The inhabitants of Ramle watched
and learned the lesson. Their leaders agreed to evacuate
voluntarily, on condition that the evacuation was carried out
by vehicles. Buses took them to Latrun, and from there they
were evacuated by the legion."

>"We must use terror, assassination, intimidation, land confiscation, and
>the cutting of all social services to rid the Galilee of its Arab
>population."
>~ Israel Koenig, "The Koenig Memorandum" The Koenig Memorandum (also
>known as The Koenig Report) was a confidential and internal Israeli
>government document authored in April 1976 by Yisrael Koenig, a member
>of the Alignment (then the ruling party), who served as the Northern
>District Commissioner of the Ministry of the Interior for 26 years.

The actual source for the above "quote" is a flyer put out by UC
Irvine's Muslim Students Union for its May 2004 "Zionism Awareness
Week". The flyer attributes the quote to Ben-Gurion, not to Koenig.
Both are incorrect. Ben-Gurion isnt mentioned in the Memorandum (or
the Report), which was published three years after his death. The
quote is found nowhere in the Memorandum.

>Rabin's description of the conquest of Lydda, after the completion of
>Plan Dalet. "We shall reduce the Arab population to a community of
>woodcutters and waiters."
>~ Uri Lubrani, PM Ben-Gurion's special adviser on Arab Affairs, 1960.
> From "The Arabs in Israel" by Sabri Jiryas.

Uri Lubrani wasn't B-G's "special adviser on Arab Affairs" in 1960, he
never said anything of the sort, and neither did Rabin. This is pure
fantasiyeh.

>"Jewish villages were built in the place of Arab villages. You do not
>even know the names of these Arab villages, and I do not blame you
>because geography books no longer exist. Not only do the books not
>exist, the Arab villages are not there either. Nahlal arose in the place
>of Mahlul; Kibbutz Gvat in the place of Jibta; Kibbutz Sarid in the
>place of Huneifis; and Kefar Yehushua in the place of Tal al-Shuman.
>There is not a single place built in this country that did not have a
>former Arab population."
>~ Moshe Dayan, address to the Technion, Haifa, reported in Haaretz,
>April 4, 1969.

What Dayan actually said in the Ha'aretz article of 19th March 1969:
"We came to a region that was inhabited by Arabs, and we set up a
Jewish state. In many places, WE PURCHASED THE LAND from Arabs and set
up Jewish villages where there had once been Arab village. You don't
even know the names and I don't blame you, because those geography
books aren't around anymore. Not only the books, the villages aren't
around."

The falsified quote first appeared in Walid Khalidi's tome on
Palestinian villages. It was Khalidi who invented the comments from
"Nahlal arose ..." to "...Arab population" and tagged them on to the
falsified quote.

Regarding the villages Khalidi mentioned:

Nahalal had no "former Arab population"; it was unihabitable swampland
when
purchased from the Sursuk clan of Beirut. The first moshav in Israel
was built thereon, Dayan's parents helped build it, and Dayan and his
siblings grew up
there.

"Mahlul" was an Ottoman legal term, is now a Jordanian legal term, and
in both cases refers to state-owned land, usually uncultivated.

"Jibta" had no population when by the Jewish Agency in 1926 from the
Arab owners.

"Huneifis", or "Khoneifis", is a common Arab surname, not a place.
Sarid was part of the inheritance of Zebulon, Joshua 19,10. Kibbutz
Sarid was established in 1926, west of Tel Sarid/Sadud, near the ruins
of Khirbet Huneifis (Akhnifis). In 1868, German Christians attempted
to settle the Tel, near the ruins of Huneifis, but suffered from
malaria, and so abandoned the site.

It can be stated far more truthfully that Arab Nazareth was built on
top of Jewish Yafia, Arab Jenin was built on top of Jewish Yivlam,
Arab Nablus on top of Greek Neapolis on top of Jewish Shechem, Arab
Tulkarm on top of Jewish Tolekarma, Arab Ramallah on top of Jewish
Ramatayim, and so on.

>"The present map of Palestine was drawn by the British mandate. The
>Jewish people have another map which our youth and adults should strive
>to fulfill --
>~ From the Nile to the Euphrates." Ben Gurion

IIRC, Ben-Gurion never wrote anything entitled "From the Nile to the
Euphrates."

>After paying a visit to Palestine in 1891, the Hebrew essayist Achad
>Ha-Am commented:
>"Abroad we are accustomed to believe that Israel is almost empty;
>nothing is grown here and that whoever wishes to buy land could come
>here and buy what his heart desires. In reality, the situation is not
>like this. Throughout the country it is difficult to find cultivable
>land which is not already cultivated."

Achad Ha-Am's writings have been widely distorted and misquoted to
suggest that he opposed Jewish settlement in Israel, as well as the
establishment of a Jewish state. He opposed neither. He disapproved
the way it was being accomplished, in view of the difficulties of life
in Israel for Diaspora Jews. Even so, he moved to Tel Aviv in 1922,
and remained there until his death.

>"How can we return the occupied territories? There is nobody to return
>them to." "There was no such thing as Palestinians, they never existed."
>~ Golda Meir, March 8, 1969. Golda Maier Israeli Prime Minister June 15,
>1969

Falsified quote. What Golda actually said:

Frank Giles: "Do you think the emergence of the Palestinian
fighting forces, the Fedayeen, an important new factor in the
Middle East?"

Golda: "Important, no. A new factor, yes. There was no such a
thing as Palestinians. When was there an independent Palestinian
people with a Palestinian State? It was either southern Syria before
the First World War and then it was a Palestine including Jordan.
It was not as though there was a Palestinian people in Palestine
considering itself as a Palestinian people and we came and threw
them out and took their country away from them. They did
not exist."
- Frank Giles, Interview with Golda Meir, Times of London,
15th June 1969

>"It is the duty of Israeli leaders to explain to public opinion, clearly
>and courageously, a certain number of facts that are forgotten with
>time. The first of these is that there is no Zionism, colonialization or
>Jewish State without the eviction of the Arabs and the expropriation of
>their lands."
>~ Yoram Bar Porath, Yediot Aahronot, of 14 July 1972.

The quote was originally attributed to an Agence France Presse article
of 15 Nov 1998, in an alleged address made by Ariel Sharon to the
Tsomet party. Naturally the full AFP article can't be located.

>"Israel should have exploited the repression of the demonstrations in
>China, when world attention focused on that country, to carry out mass
>expulsions among the Arabs of the territories."
>~ Benyamin Netanyahu, then Israeli Deputy Foreign Minister, former Prime
>Minister of Israel, tells students at Bar Ilan University, From the
>Israeli journal Hotam, November 24, 1989.

The Israeli journal Hotam apparently existed only to furnish this one
alleged sentence. No more than that can be attributed to anything.

>"Everybody has to move, run and grab as many hilltops as they can to
>enlarge the settlements because everything we take now will stay ours...
>Everything we don't grab will go to them."
>~ Ariel Sharon, Israeli Foreign Minister, addressing a meeting of
>militants from the extreme right-wing Tsomet Party, Agence France
>Presse, November 15, 1998.

See same AFP article, above.

>"If I were an Arab leader, I would never sign an agreement with Israel.
>It is normal; we have taken their country. It is true God promised it to
>us, but how could that interest them? Our God is not theirs. There has
>been Anti - Semitism, the Nazis, Hitler, Auschwitz, but was that their
>fault? They see but one thing: we have come and we have stolen their
>country. Why would they accept that?"
>~ David Ben Gurion (the first Israeli Prime Minister) quoted by Nahum
>Goldmann in Le Paraddoxe Juif (The Jewish Paradox), pp121.

The quote is falsified, the cite is wrong. Part of the actual quote,
with correct cite
from Nahum Goldmann's memoirs:

"'I don't understand your optimism,' Ben-Gurion declared. 'Why
should the Arabs make peace? If I were an Arab leader I would
never make terms with Israel. That is natural: THEY THINK
we have taken their country. Sure, God promised it to us, but
what does that matter to them? Our God is not theirs. We come
from Israel, it's true, but two thousand years ago, and what is
that to them? There has been anti-Semitism, the Nazis, Hitler,
Auschwitz, but was that their fault? They only see one thing:
we have come here and stolen their country. Why should they
accept that? They may perhaps forget in one or two generations'
time, but for the moment there is no chance. So it's simple: we
have to stay strong and maintain a powerful army. Our whole
policy is there. Otherwise the Arabs will wipe us out.'"
- Nahum Goldmann, The Jewish Paradox: A Personal Memoir
of Historic Encounters that Shaped the Drama of Modern
Jewry (1978), pp. 99-100

>"The Palestinians" would be crushed like grasshoppers ... heads smashed
>against the boulders and walls."
>~ Isreali Prime Minister, Yitzhak Shamir, in a speech to Jewish settlers
>New York Times April 1, 1988

Wrong cite, wrong source, wrong quote. The convoluted misquote appears
is Chomsky. Text of the 1st April 1988 NY Times article:

New York Times
April 1, 1988
P A3
SHAMIR PROMISES TO CRUSH RIOTERS
'They Are Like Grasshoppers", He Says
- One Arab is killed

Tel Aviv March 31 (Reuters)
As Israel prepares to lift a three-day
blockade of the West Bank and Gaza
Strip, Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir
warned today that rioters would be
crushed "like grasshoppers."
...]
The clandestine leadership of the
Palestinian uprising called for a gen-
eral strike and clashes with Israeli
soldiers last week to protest a visit by
Secretary of State George P. Schultz.

Head-Smashing Threatened

Mr. Shamir, standing atop an ancient
West Bank castle, told reporters:
"Anybody who wants to damages this
fortress will have his head smashed
against the boulders and the walls."
In an exception to the restrictions on
news coverage in the occupied territor-
ies, reporters were taken by bus to the
inauguration of an Israeli tourism site
at the fortress near Bethlehem built by
Herod the Great in the time of Jesus.
In remarks aimed at Arab rioters,
the Prime Minister said: "We say to
them from the heights of this mountain
and from the perspective of thousands
of years of history that they are like
grasshoppers compared to us." [...]
A senior defense official said that a
round-the-clock curfew would remain in
force. The other restrictions imposed
on Monday are to be lifted on Friday
morning, he said.

>"When we have settled the land, all the Arabs will be able to do about
>it will be to scurry around like drugged cockroaches in a bottle."
>~ Raphael Eitan, Chief of Staff of the Israeli Defence Forces, New York
>Times, 14 April 1983.

The source is Chomsky, not the NY Times, Chompsky's spin on the
article:

Chief of Staff Rafael Eitan expressed his views on proper punishment
again, this time to the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense and Com-
mittee [sic]. For every incident of stone-throwing by Arab youths, he
said, ten settlements should be built: "When we have settled all the
land, all the Arabs will be able to do about it will be to scurry
around
like drugged roaches in a bottle." Defense Minister Moshe Arens was
asked by opposition Knesset members to reprimand Eitan for this
remark..."
- Noam Chomsky, Fateful Triangle, p 130 n. citiing Gad Becker,
Yediot Ahronot, April 13, 1983; David K. Shipler, New York Times,
April 14, 20, 1983.

Pertinent passages of the article:

Most West Bank Arabs Blaming U.S. for Impasse
by David K. Shipler
Speical to the New York Times
Thursday, April 14, 1983
p A3

JERUSALEM, April 13 - Leading
Palestinians living under Israeli occu-
pation are blaming a variety of parties
for the breakdown in talks between
King Hussein of Jordan and the Pales-
tinian Liberation Organization.
Some are still hoping for a renewal
of the Jordanian-P.L.O. dialogue on
entering American-sponsored negotiations
with Israel over the future of the occupied
West Bank and Gaza Strip.
[...]
There is a widespread conviction
among Palestinian Arabs that the Is-
raelis want to make life miserable for
them and thereby drive them out of the
territories.
This was reinforced by reported re-
marks Tuesday by the outgoing Chief
of Staff of the Israeli Army, Lieut. Gen.
Rafael Eytan. Israeli radio and television
and newspapers quoted him as telling
Parliament's Foreign Affairs and De-
fense Committee that for every incident
of stone-throwing by Arab youths, 10
settlements should be built. "When we have
settled the land," he was quoted as
saying, "all the Arabs will be able to do
about it will be to scurry around like
drugged roaches in a bottle."
[...]
"The United States is powerful," said
Mustafa Natashe, the acting Mayor of
Hebron, on the West Bank, "but they
don't use their power in the right way."
Washington could have cut aid to Israel
and forced a halt in settlements, he con-
tended, in which case "there would be
more trust in the United States, and I
think things would have been changed
between King Hussein and the P.L.O."
"That's ridiculous," Mr. Hamad
countered. "I believe the Reagan Ad-
ministration was willing to exert pres-
sure on Israel to stop settlements" if
King Hussein offered to negotiate.
"Why are they not saying that the
Soviet Union is responsible for sabotage-
ing this effort, which is more logical?"
- D.K. Shipler, NY Times, April 14, 1983, p A3

>"We declare openly that the Arabs have no right to settle on even one
>centimeter of Eretz Israel... Force is all they do or ever will
>understand. We shall use the ultimate force until the Palestinians come
>crawling to us on all fours."
>~ Rafael Eitan, Chief of Staff of the Israeli Defense Forces - Gad
>Becker, Yediot Ahronot 13 April 1983, New York Times 14 April 1983.

There is nothing in the 14 April 1983 NY Times article that even
remotely resembles this fake quote.

>"There is a huge gap between us (Jews) and our enemies? Not just in
>ability but in morality, culture, sanctity of life, and conscience. They
>are our neighbors here, but it seems as if at a distance of a few
>hundred meters away, there are people who do not belong to our
>continent, to our world, but actually belong to a different galaxy."
>~ Israeli president Moshe Katsav. The Jerusalem Post, May 10, 2001

The article does not say this. Full text:

13:45) Katsav: Our enemies are from another galaxy
May, 10 2001
An immense gap exists between Israel and its enemies,
President Moshe Katsav said today.
"The gap is not only in capabilities, but also moral and cultural,"
Katsav said.
Katsav made his remarks at a Bar- and Bat-Mitzvah
ceremony for 86 children whose fathers died while
serving in the IDF, Army Radio reported.
"It seems to me that a few hundred meters from here
there are people who not only do not identify with our
continent or even planet Earth, rather they seem to
be from another galaxy a completely different world,"
Katsav said.
"The gap between them and us is immense," he added.
- www.jpost.com/Editions/2001/05/10/LatestNews/LatestNews.25923.html

>"The Palestinians are like crocodiles, the more you give them meat, they
>want more"....
>~ Ehud Barak, Prime Minister of Israel at the time - August 28, 2000.
>Reported in the Jerusalem Post August 30, 2000

Barak did not say this. Text of article:

Wednesday, August 30 2000 15:13 29 Av 5760 (AP)
PA demands Barak apologize for 'crocodile' comment
By David Franklin

JERUSALEM (August 30) - A senior Palestinian official
demanded an apology from Prime Minister Ehud Barak
yesterday for his alleged comment that "Palestinians
are like crocodiles."
A "senior source" aboard the prime minister's flight
from Ankara on Monday was quoted as commenting on the
crippled peace process that "maybe the Palestinians
are like crocodiles - the more you give them, the
more they want." Political pundits understand the
"senior source" to be Barak himself.
Palestinian cabinet minister and senior negotiator
Hassan Asfour told Reuters that after such a comment,
Barak "does not deserve to be a partner. "If the
political decision was mine, I would call for
boycotting all meetings with him until he apologizes," he said.
MK Ahmed Tibi said he looked into Monday's off-the-record
comments and verified that Barak had indeed said such a thing.
There was no reaction from the Prime Minister's Office.
"Comparing Palestinians to animals has become
methodical...It is par for the course for Barak,"
said Tibi.
The prime minister's alleged comment followed that
of Shas spiritual leader Rabbi Ovadia Yosef in a sermon
earlier this month comparing Palestinians to snakes.
In the same sermon, Yosef also stated that the victims
of the Holocaust were reincarnated sinners.
Tibi argued yesterday that it was far more serious
for a prime minister to make such disparaging comments.
Asked about sharp language and comparisons made about
Jews in the Arab media, Tibi responded that he
condemned such language against Israelis and Jews
as well, but that rhetoric in the Arab media did
not excuse Barak's comment about Palestinians.
Arieh O'Sullivan and news agencies contributed to this report.
- http://www.jpost.com/Editions/2000/08/30/News/News.11509.html

>"[The Palestinians are] beasts walking on two legs."
>~ Menahim Begin, speech to the Knesset, quoted in Amnon Kapeliouk,
>"Begin and the Beasts". New Statesman, 25 June 1982.

Begin did not say this. Chomsky wrote that someone wrote that Begin
said it.

'He added bitterly, why be surprised? "After all, who are
they [the victims]. Araboushim, two-legged beasts" (the
latter a reference to Prime Minister Menachem Begin's
characterization of "terrorists").'
- Noam Chomsky, Fateful Triangle, p 131

Chomsky appears to cite, in part, Yoram Peri in Davar,
Dec 10, 1982; Peri, however, cites Amnon Kapeliouk in
June 1982. Chomsky conflates the two and deliberately
obfuscates who said what.

In fact, the reference was to Arab terrorists.

>"Every time we do something you tell me America will do this and will do
>that . . . I want to tell you something very clear: Don't worry about
>American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and
>the Americans know it."
>~ Israeli Prime Minister, Ariel Sharon, October 3, 2001, to Shimon
>Peres, as reported on Kol Yisrael radio.

This was never reported on Kol Yisrael, Sharon never said it. It
appeared in an article by Georgie Anne Geyer, who subsequently
acknowleged that her source was the Hamas website.

>"If we are going to admit claims on conquest thousands of years ago, the
>whole world will have to be turned upside down." Lord Sydenham, Hansard,
>House of Lords, 21 June 1922.

Claims on conquest hundreds of years ago is what Palestine Arabs are
basing their present claims to Israel. How sad that they, and their
follower, try to bolster it with nothing more substantial than drifts
of fantasiyeh, like the foregoing faked "quotes".

Deborah

mir...@actcom.co.il

Feb 27, 2009, 1:38:22 AM2/27/09
Shabat Shalom Deborah
Thank you for every letter you write here !!!

I have asked you before if you read Hebrew ,

My knowledge is wifder about Shoah related to Holland , i am now
reseraching this papers and documents , Hope to finnish my book [ it
will be in Hebrew ] soon ,,

I wish you the best
mirjam