Formatting replies

1 view

sheldonlg

Jul 26, 2010, 2:14:10 PM7/26/10
I am using Outlook Express while away. No matter which combinations of
choices I make, I can't seem to get ALL replies to place a ">" in front of
the text to which I am responding. Any suggestions?

Herman Rubin

Jul 26, 2010, 3:38:41 PM7/26/10

Put it in yourself.

hru...@stat.purdue.edu Phone: (765)494-6054 FAX: (765)494-0558

sheldonlg

Jul 26, 2010, 3:44:21 PM7/26/10

"Herman Rubin" <hru...@skew.stat.purdue.edu> wrote in message

> On 2010-07-26, sheldonlg <shel...@thevillages.net> wrote:
>> I am using Outlook Express while away. No matter which combinations of
>> choices I make, I can't seem to get ALL replies to place a ">" in front
>> of
>> the text to which I am responding. Any suggestions?
>
> Put it in yourself.

.....and if the quoted text is 30 lines, that means stick a "> " in front of
30 lines. No thanks.

Yussel

Jul 26, 2010, 4:38:07 PM7/26/10
On Jul 26, 3:44 pm, "sheldonlg" <sheldo...@thevillages.net> wrote:
> "Herman Rubin" <hru...@skew.stat.purdue.edu> wrote in message

> > On 2010-07-26, sheldonlg <sheldo...@thevillages.net> wrote:
> >> I am using Outlook Express while away.  No matter which combinations of
> >> choices I make, I can't seem to get ALL replies to place a ">" in front
> >> of
> >> the text to which I am responding.  Any suggestions?
>
> > Put it in yourself.
>
> .....and if the quoted text is 30 lines, that means stick a "> " in front of
> 30 lines.  No thanks.
>

> > --
> > This address is for information only.  I do not claim that these views
> > are those of the Statistics Department or of Purdue University.
> > Herman Rubin, Department of Statistics, Purdue University
> > hru...@stat.purdue.edu         Phone: (765)494-6054   FAX: (765)494-0558

Don't use Outlook Express?

Joel

sheldonlg

Jul 26, 2010, 4:39:53 PM7/26/10

"Yussel" <jshu...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Don't use Outlook Express?

Not an option at this stage of the game.

Evertjan.

Jul 26, 2010, 5:47:46 PM7/26/10

Do not use Outlook [Express].
There are a lot of competent and dedicated newsreaders.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Giorgies E Kepipesiom

Jul 26, 2010, 8:25:37 PM7/26/10

Use Google Groups. I do, and it works just finely.

GEK

Abe Kohen

Jul 26, 2010, 10:08:30 PM7/26/10

"Herman Rubin" <hru...@skew.stat.purdue.edu> wrote in message
> On 2010-07-26, sheldonlg <shel...@thevillages.net> wrote:
>> I am using Outlook Express while away. No matter which combinations of
>> choices I make, I can't seem to get ALL replies to place a ">" in front
>> of
>> the text to which I am responding. Any suggestions?
>
> Put it in yourself.

Coming from Herman, I KNOW that the above doesn't mean what I thought it
meant when I first read it. ;-)

Problem is mainly interacting with google groups, but I don't expect MSFT
and GOOG to ever cooperate.

Abe

lee

Jul 27, 2010, 6:17:36 AM7/27/10

tilly had this same problem & although this didnt seem to fix it for
her, this seems to be what you have to do.

Options > Send > Reply to messages using the format in which they were
sent > untick that
Options > Send > Plain Text Settings > Indent the original text with >
etc

If that doesnt work you could always try google groups.....

sheldonlg

Jul 27, 2010, 7:18:14 AM7/27/10

"Giorgies E Kepipesiom" <kepip...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

On Jul 26, 2:14 pm, "sheldonlg" <sheldo...@thevillages.net> wrote:

> Use Google Groups. I do, and it works just finely.

Hardly.

sheldonlg

Jul 27, 2010, 7:25:40 AM7/27/10

"lee" <scho...@gmail.com> wrote in message

==============================

That combination didn't work. For some posts it works, but not for others.
The ones it seems to have problems with are the ones that post with Google
groups. With all the misery it causes I feel like I want to say what Abe
would about them.

lee

Jul 27, 2010, 8:16:22 AM7/27/10
On 27 July, 12:25, "sheldonlg" <sheldo...@thevillages.net> wrote:
> "lee" <schotn...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Sorry Shelly, best I can think of other than using google groups while
you are on vacation, or taking a break from scjm & enjoying your
holiday. I'm assuming you are on vacation or did I get that wrong.

meir b.

Jul 27, 2010, 8:58:27 AM7/27/10
On Jul 26, 10:44 pm, "sheldonlg" <sheldo...@thevillages.net> wrote:
> "Herman Rubin" <hru...@skew.stat.purdue.edu> wrote in message

> > On 2010-07-26, sheldonlg <sheldo...@thevillages.net> wrote:
> >> I am using Outlook Express while away.  No matter which combinations of
> >> choices I make, I can't seem to get ALL replies to place a ">" in front
> >> of
> >> the text to which I am responding.  Any suggestions?
>
> > Put it in yourself.
>
> .....and if the quoted text is 30 lines, that means stick a "> " in front of
> 30 lines.  No thanks.

Why not just stick a ">" at the beginning of the quote and a "<"
at its end, or vice versa?

Meir B.

sheldonlg

Jul 27, 2010, 9:03:49 AM7/27/10

"lee" <scho...@gmail.com> wrote in message

================================
Yes and no. I am currently in Billerica, MA at my son's house. I am
working from here. This Saturday we have a wedding in Framingham, MA. Next
week I will still be here and still working. During this time I will also
spend time with my other son and his wife. We will be going to the NE
Patriots training camp on thursday and going to play poker in the evening.

At the end of next week we are heading out to Toledo, OH where we will be
going to a giant park with many roller coasters (Cedar Point). From there
to St. Louis for a couple of days and then on to Branson for five nights.
Then homeward bound via New Orleans, Biloxi, and the Florida panhandle.
During all that time I will be working about four hours a day.

So, yes and no.

sheldonlg

Jul 27, 2010, 9:08:45 AM7/27/10

"meir b." <mei...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

On Jul 26, 10:44 pm, "sheldonlg" <sheldo...@thevillages.net> wrote:
> "Herman Rubin" <hru...@skew.stat.purdue.edu> wrote in message

> > On 2010-07-26, sheldonlg <sheldo...@thevillages.net> wrote:
> >> I am using Outlook Express while away. No matter which combinations of
> >> choices I make, I can't seem to get ALL replies to place a ">" in front
> >> of
> >> the text to which I am responding. Any suggestions?
>
> > Put it in yourself.
>
> .....and if the quoted text is 30 lines, that means stick a "> " in front
> of
> 30 lines. No thanks.

Like this:

Why not just stick a ">" at the beginning of the quote and a "<"
at its end, or vice versa?
<

Very confusing. Look at the stuff that was above what you put in. That is
the way it should be. If I were to hand edit and stick it in on every
line -- to keep the attributions straight -- then it would be just too much.

BTW, do you also use Google groups because my reply to your post didn't put
a ">" in front of yours nor an extra ">" in front of all the stuff before
it?

Meir B.

Note: I didn't add a ">" in front of Meir B. so now it would appear to the
reader that your wrote what I just did.

Steve Goldfarb

Jul 27, 2010, 9:30:33 AM7/27/10

>At the end of next week we are heading out to Toledo, OH where we will be
>going to a giant park with many roller coasters (Cedar Point). From there
>to St. Louis for a couple of days and then on to Branson for five nights.
>Then homeward bound via New Orleans, Biloxi, and the Florida panhandle.
>During all that time I will be working about four hours a day.

Sounds like a great trip! Cedar Point is in Sandusky, btw, not Toledo,
although Toledo isn't far - they have an excellent art museum in Toledo
btw.

Have a great time,

--s

sheldonlg

Jul 27, 2010, 9:34:53 AM7/27/10

"Steve Goldfarb" <s...@panix.com> wrote in message

I know, but would recognize Sandusky as opposed to Toledo? That is why I
said Toledo. As for Toledo -- no time.

> Have a great time,

Thanks.

BTW -- _YOU_ don't use Google Groups, do you? The reply to you came up with
">".

Steve Goldfarb

Jul 27, 2010, 9:53:40 AM7/27/10

>> Sounds like a great trip! Cedar Point is in Sandusky, btw, not Toledo,
>> although Toledo isn't far - they have an excellent art museum in Toledo
>> btw.

>I know, but would recognize Sandusky as opposed to Toledo? That is why I
>said Toledo. As for Toledo -- no time.

Just from the ads, I suppose - it's marketed (heavily, in the midwest, as
I recall) as "Cedar Point, Sandusky Ohio" so that's how it would resonate
to people. Sorta like "Geoga Lakes" which I can't even spell and don't
have any idea where it is (upstate NY I think) but is marketed similarly.
Might even be owned by the same people. But in any case, it's a fun place
- although I haven't been there in decades.

>> Have a great time,

>Thanks.

>BTW -- _YOU_ don't use Google Groups, do you? The reply to you came up with
>">".

I actually read/post via a Telnet window into my ISP, which runs UNIX, and
then use a program called "nn"

It's kinda clunky but it's convenient for me, in a way.

--s

Don Levey

Jul 27, 2010, 11:00:21 AM7/27/10
On 7/26/2010 15:44, sheldonlg wrote:
> "Herman Rubin" <hru...@skew.stat.purdue.edu> wrote in message
>> On 2010-07-26, sheldonlg <shel...@thevillages.net> wrote:
>>> I am using Outlook Express while away. No matter which combinations of
>>> choices I make, I can't seem to get ALL replies to place a ">" in front
>>> of
>>> the text to which I am responding. Any suggestions?
>>
>> Put it in yourself.
>
> .....and if the quoted text is 30 lines, that means stick a "> " in front of
> 30 lines. No thanks.

Better than 280 lines - perhaps encouragement to snip?

:-)

--
Don Levey, Framingam MA If knowledge is power,
(email address in header works) and power corrupts, then...

Don Levey

Jul 27, 2010, 11:02:38 AM7/27/10
On 7/27/2010 09:03, sheldonlg wrote:

> Yes and no. I am currently in Billerica, MA at my son's house. I am
> working from here. This Saturday we have a wedding in Framingham, MA.

Wave as you go by - I think we're supposed to be in Salem that day.

sheldonlg

Jul 27, 2010, 11:10:31 AM7/27/10

"Don Levey" <Don_...@the-leveys.us> wrote in message

> On 7/27/2010 09:03, sheldonlg wrote:
>>
>> Yes and no. I am currently in Billerica, MA at my son's house. I am
>> working from here. This Saturday we have a wedding in Framingham, MA.
>
> Wave as you go by - I think we're supposed to be in Salem that day.

No, _YOU_ wave as you go by. Billerica is between Framingham and Salem (and
a little north of 128). Salem is [almost] north shore. (Besides, we are
leaving on Friday to first go to Winchendon. On Saturday, the wedding is
over the border in New Hampshire (Chapel in the Hills?) and the reception is
then in Framingham.)

In writing this I reflected on how I am once again glad to be R. I don't
have to cut myself off from the rest of the world and can attend the wedding
of a dear [Christian] friend's daughter with no compunction about it being
in a church. _I_ know I am not praying there and I don't have to care "what
will the neighbors think".

sheldonlg

Jul 27, 2010, 11:41:17 AM7/27/10

> On 7/26/2010 15:44, sheldonlg wrote:
>> "Herman Rubin" <hru...@skew.stat.purdue.edu> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Put it in yourself.
>>
>> .....and if the quoted text is 30 lines, that means stick a "> " in front
>> of
>> 30 lines. No thanks.
>>
> Better than 280 lines - perhaps encouragement to snip?
>
> :-)

It seems the problem is when the original post is from Google Groups.
Responding to yours worked fine -- and yes, I have it set to NOT respond in
the original format.

I HATE GOOGLE GROUPS about as much as I hate Internet Explorer.

Don Levey

Jul 27, 2010, 11:43:04 AM7/27/10
On 7/27/2010 11:10, sheldonlg wrote:
> "Don Levey" <Don_...@the-leveys.us> wrote in message
>> On 7/27/2010 09:03, sheldonlg wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes and no. I am currently in Billerica, MA at my son's house. I am
>>> working from here. This Saturday we have a wedding in Framingham, MA.
>>
>> Wave as you go by - I think we're supposed to be in Salem that day.
>
> No, _YOU_ wave as you go by. Billerica is between Framingham and Salem (and
> a little north of 128). Salem is [almost] north shore. (Besides, we are
> leaving on Friday to first go to Winchendon. On Saturday, the wedding is
> over the border in New Hampshire (Chapel in the Hills?) and the reception is
> then in Framingham.)

It was Saturday I was referring to - we won't be passing by Billerica
until then. Where's the reception?

(PeteCresswell)

Jul 27, 2010, 12:09:34 PM7/27/10
Per sheldonlg:

>I am using Outlook Express while away. No matter which combinations of
>choices I make, I can't seem to get ALL replies to place a ">" in front of
>the text to which I am responding. Any suggestions?

How Format|Bullets and Numbering|Bulleted and choosing the
">"-like symbol as the bullet?

I don't have Outlook, but tried this on MS Word and it seemed to
work. Only caveat is that it's dependent of actual line breaks
in the quoted text (as opposed to automagic wrapping by the
reader).

An extra little twist would be Format|Bullets and
Numbering|Bulleted |Customize and assigning Courier New as Font
and the actual greater-than sign as Character - followed up by
fooling with tab spacing in the same dialog.

Now that I'm thinking about this I'd say that, unless Outlook
allows you to create/save custom styles, MS Word is the place to
do it. That way you can create a custom style as above, assign
a keystroke to apply it and very quickly format the quoted text
using the CTL+A, CTL+V, and CTL+C shortcuts.

i.e. paste text tb formatted into the Word doc that you have on
hand, do the format, and then copy the formatted text back into
your post.
--
PeteCresswell

Herman Rubin

Jul 27, 2010, 1:00:40 PM7/27/10

>> Put it in yourself.

> Abe

Using vi or emacs or some other good editor would make it
rather easy. I have even reformatted text from those postings
which do not break up lines.

sheldonlg

Jul 27, 2010, 4:23:29 PM7/27/10

> On 7/27/2010 11:10, sheldonlg wrote:
>> "Don Levey" <Don_...@the-leveys.us> wrote in message

>>> Wave as you go by - I think we're supposed to be in Salem that day.
>>
>> No, _YOU_ wave as you go by. Billerica is between Framingham and Salem
>> (and
>> a little north of 128). Salem is [almost] north shore. (Besides, we are
>> leaving on Friday to first go to Winchendon. On Saturday, the wedding is
>> over the border in New Hampshire (Chapel in the Hills?) and the reception
>> is
>> then in Framingham.)
>>
> It was Saturday I was referring to - we won't be passing by Billerica
> until then. Where's the reception?

"the wedding is over the border in New Hampshire (Chapel in the Hills?) and

the reception is then in Framingham.".

It is at the parent's home (14 acres) right across from where the new Jewish
Community Center is being built on Edmonds Road.

Art Werschulz

Jul 27, 2010, 9:06:12 PM7/27/10
Hi.

"Steve Goldfarb" <s...@panix.com> writes:

> I actually read/post via a Telnet window into my ISP, which runs UNIX, and
> then use a program called "nn"

rn!! Wow, that's a newsreader I haven't used in a zillion years (I now
use GNUS).
--
Art Werschulz (agw STRUDEL comcast.net)
... insert clever quote here ...

Abe Kohen

Jul 27, 2010, 10:23:35 PM7/27/10

"sheldonlg" <shel...@thevillages.net> wrote in message

Not O. Not R. Not going to church.

Best,
Abe

lee

Jul 28, 2010, 4:46:42 AM7/28/10

Sounds like a bit of a road trip, you yanks seem to get about a bit
more than we do over here, have a nice time.

Don Levey

Jul 28, 2010, 8:37:44 AM7/28/10
On 7/27/2010 16:23, sheldonlg wrote:
> "Don Levey" <Don_...@the-leveys.us> wrote in message
>> On 7/27/2010 11:10, sheldonlg wrote:
>>> "Don Levey" <Don_...@the-leveys.us> wrote in message

>>> No, _YOU_ wave as you go by. Billerica is between Framingham and Salem
>>> (and
>>> a little north of 128). Salem is [almost] north shore. (Besides, we are
>>> leaving on Friday to first go to Winchendon. On Saturday, the wedding is
>>> over the border in New Hampshire (Chapel in the Hills?) and the reception
>>> is
>>> then in Framingham.)
>>>
>> It was Saturday I was referring to - we won't be passing by Billerica
>> until then. Where's the reception?
>
> "the wedding is over the border in New Hampshire (Chapel in the Hills?) and
> the reception is then in Framingham.".
>
> It is at the parent's home (14 acres) right across from where the new Jewish
> Community Center is being built on Edmonds Road.

So basically, then, about a mile from my home. I'm across Edgell Road,
about .5 miles from the Hemmenway school.

By the way, while it was originally intended as Jewish (elderly)
housing, in order to get the project built they tapped into public
money. It won't really be Jewish housing anymore.

Steve Goldfarb

Jul 28, 2010, 9:48:55 AM7/28/10

>Sounds like a bit of a road trip, you yanks seem to get about a bit
>more than we do over here, have a nice time.

Well, you live on an island, right? Can you even drive 1,000 miles in any
direction without getting wet? According to a quick search, England is
slightly smaller than the state of Florida, where Shelly is from.

Americans often seem to be criticized for not being "worldly," compared to
Europeans, but it is not uncommon at all for people to travel thousands of
miles on vacations and yet remain within the US. It's a big country.

Looks like London to Paris is less than 300 miles - that would be
considered an easy weekend trip if not a day trip here. (maybe is
considered that there, too, now) Paris to Rome is about a 13 hour drive -
we used to go further than that every summer to go visit my grandparents.

--s

Don Levey

Jul 28, 2010, 10:07:31 AM7/28/10

When I went to England in 1988 it was explained to me thusly:
"In England 100 miles is a long distance.
In the US 100 years is a long time."

sheldonlg

Jul 28, 2010, 10:54:19 AM7/28/10

"Steve Goldfarb" <s...@panix.com> wrote in message

When I worked for a French company and went there every three months, they
would be amazed when I spoke of driving to Florida (2500km) with one night
in a motel. To them this was like going from Paris to Istanbul. To me,
driving to the west coast would be a very long trip (3000 miles or about
5000 km one way). Although, this trip will total about 4-5000 miles.

lee

Jul 28, 2010, 12:02:02 PM7/28/10
On 28 July, 14:48, "Steve Goldfarb" <s...@panix.com> wrote:

I did make it all the way to Australia once, but unfortunately, & for
no good real reasons came back to the UK. Kinda wish I'd stopped in
Israel too now. Never been to the States though. & I dont actually
drive, I've never learned, but 1000 miles or a 13 hour train trip
would seem like an awful long way, without stopping for a beer & a
smoke.

Steve Goldfarb

Jul 28, 2010, 12:08:26 PM7/28/10

>I did make it all the way to Australia once, but unfortunately, & for
>no good real reasons came back to the UK. Kinda wish I'd stopped in
>Israel too now. Never been to the States though. & I dont actually
>drive, I've never learned, but 1000 miles or a 13 hour train trip
>would seem like an awful long way, without stopping for a beer & a
>smoke.

Who said without stopping? But we wouldn't typically take the train - we'd
drive, stopping every few hours for a bathroom break and maybe something
to eat. Typically going maybe 8 to 10 hours in a day - 13 is possible but
pushing it, in my experience.

--s

mm

Jul 28, 2010, 12:49:15 PM7/28/10
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:02:02 +0000 (UTC), lee <scho...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>I did make it all the way to Australia once, but unfortunately, & for
>no good real reasons came back to the UK. Kinda wish I'd stopped in
>Israel too now. Never been to the States though. & I dont actually
>drive,

It's very hard to drive from the UK to the United States anyhow. I
tried to drive to the UK once and I only got a little past Boston.

--

Meir

"The baby's name is Shlomo. He's named after his grandfather, Scott."

lee

Jul 28, 2010, 3:30:44 PM7/28/10
On Jul 28, 5:49 pm, mm <NOPSAMmm2...@bigfoot.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:02:02 +0000 (UTC), lee <schotn...@gmail.com>

I did try to persuade my girlfriend to cycle overland through the
Soviet Union, Afghanistan & China, to India with me. But judging by
our sole joint camping trip to Wales I doubt it would have been
successful, or harmonious.

Abe Kohen

Jul 28, 2010, 4:48:25 PM7/28/10

"mm" <NOPSAM...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:02:02 +0000 (UTC), lee <scho...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I did make it all the way to Australia once, but unfortunately, & for
>>no good real reasons came back to the UK. Kinda wish I'd stopped in
>>Israel too now. Never been to the States though. & I dont actually
>>drive,
>
> It's very hard to drive from the UK to the United States anyhow. I
> tried to drive to the UK once and I only got a little past Boston.

Try, try again.

Abe

sheldonlg

Jul 28, 2010, 5:01:20 PM7/28/10

"Steve Goldfarb" <s...@panix.com> wrote in message

It's 19 hours of driving (assuming no traffic jams) from my home to my
son's. We do it in two days with one night over in a motel.

mm

Jul 28, 2010, 5:21:19 PM7/28/10
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 19:30:44 +0000 (UTC), lee <scho...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Jul 28, 5:49 pm, mm <NOPSAMmm2...@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:02:02 +0000 (UTC), lee <schotn...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>> >I did make it all the way to Australia once, but unfortunately, & for
>> >no good real reasons came back to the UK. Kinda wish I'd stopped in
>> >Israel too now. Never been to the States though. & I dont actually
>> >drive,
>>
>> It's very hard to drive from the UK to the United States anyhow.  I
>> tried to drive to the UK once and I only got a little past Boston.
>>
>> > I've never learned, but 1000 miles or a 13 hour train trip
>> >would seem like  an awful long way, without stopping for a beer & a
>> >smoke.
>>

>I did try to persuade my girlfriend to cycle overland through the
>Soviet Union, Afghanistan & China, to India with me. But judging by
>our sole joint camping trip to Wales I doubt it would have been
>successful, or harmonious.

I advertised on bulletin boards, at NYU and Columbia U, d to get
someone to hitchhike with me to Togo, from Spain. Morocco, actually.

I was going to go via Timbuktu. I knew there's nothing there, but I
didn't care; it was the most direct route. I did get one response
and she agreed to it all at first, but later realized she only had 3
weeks to get to West Africa and write the paper she was there to
write. I think it was too far for me too, and I never did go.

Adelle

Jul 29, 2010, 8:35:04 AM7/29/10

> "lee" <scho...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes and no. I am currently in Billerica, MA at my son's house. I am
> working from here. This Saturday we have a wedding in Framingham, MA.
> Next week I will still be here and still working. During this time I will
> also spend time with my other son and his wife. We will be going to the
> NE Patriots training camp on thursday and going to play poker in the
> evening.
>
> At the end of next week we are heading out to Toledo, OH where we will be
> going to a giant park with many roller coasters (Cedar Point). From there
> to St. Louis for a couple of days and then on to Branson for five nights.
> Then homeward bound via New Orleans, Biloxi, and the Florida panhandle.
> During all that time I will be working about four hours a day.

Shelly -

1 - I am in Chelmsford, the next town over. Welcome to my neck of the woods.
Want to go for coffee Friday? I'm away from the computer all day but will be
back tonight. Unmunge my e-dress (I think its self explanatory). Have fun at
the training camp and the poker game!

2 - I have the very same problem with the replies. I've decided to get
around it by just going to the bottom of the post, writing "Adelle Replies -
" and then starting my post. too much of a damned pain to add > to each
line. Especially when the history has multiple posts from different people.

Adelle

Yussel

Jul 29, 2010, 9:58:24 AM7/29/10
On Jul 28, 5:01 pm, "sheldonlg" <sheldo...@thevillages.net> wrote:
> "Steve Goldfarb" <s...@panix.com> wrote in message

> > In <fee37fd0-d3da-4ce0-94ce-ab66820c6...@q35g2000yqn.googlegroups.com> lee

> > <schotn...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >>I did make it all the way to Australia once, but unfortunately, & for
> >>no good real reasons came back to the UK. Kinda wish I'd stopped in
> >>Israel too now. Never been to the States though. & I dont actually
> >>drive, I've never learned, but 1000 miles or a 13 hour train trip
> >>would seem like  an awful long way, without stopping for a beer & a
> >>smoke.
>
> > Who said without stopping? But we wouldn't typically take the train - we'd
> > drive, stopping every few hours for a bathroom break and maybe something
> > to eat. Typically going maybe 8 to 10 hours in a day - 13 is possible but
> > pushing it, in my experience.
>
> > --s
> > --
>
> It's 19 hours of driving (assuming no traffic jams) from my home to my
> son's.  We do it in two days with one night over in a motel.

I drove from Fairbanks, Alaska to Baltimore via the Top of the World
Highway to Dawson, Yukon Territory ("A bunch of the boys were whooping
it up in the Malmut Saloon..."), and the Alaska Highway. It took three
weeks, with stopovers in Edmonton and Montreal. May have to do it
again soon.

Joel

Yisroel Markov

Jul 30, 2010, 8:29:00 AM7/30/10

[nod] Last Sunday I drove to upstate New York to drop off one of my
boys (and a few of his buddies) at camp and pick up another one of my
boys (and a few of his buddies) from camp. 505 miles round-trip, about
nine hours. Tiring, but feasible (thank God for cruise control). Heck,
truck drivers do it every working day.
--
Yisroel "Godwrestler Warriorson" Markov - Boston, MA Member
www.reason.com -- for a sober analysis of the world DNRC

Abe Kohen

Jul 31, 2010, 10:05:06 PM7/31/10

"Yisroel Markov" <ey.m...@MUNGiname.com> wrote in message

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:08:26 +0000 (UTC), "Steve Goldfarb"
> <s...@panix.com> said:
>
>>In <fee37fd0-d3da-4ce0...@q35g2000yqn.googlegroups.com> lee
>><scho...@gmail.com> writes:
>>

>>>I did make it all the way to Australia once, but unfortunately, & for
>>>no good real reasons came back to the UK. Kinda wish I'd stopped in
>>>Israel too now. Never been to the States though. & I dont actually
>>>drive, I've never learned, but 1000 miles or a 13 hour train trip
>>>would seem like an awful long way, without stopping for a beer & a
>>>smoke.
>>
>>Who said without stopping? But we wouldn't typically take the train - we'd
>>drive, stopping every few hours for a bathroom break and maybe something
>>to eat. Typically going maybe 8 to 10 hours in a day - 13 is possible but
>>pushing it, in my experience.
>
> [nod] Last Sunday I drove to upstate New York to drop off one of my
> boys (and a few of his buddies) at camp and pick up another one of my
> boys (and a few of his buddies) from camp. 505 miles round-trip, about
> nine hours. Tiring, but feasible (thank God for cruise control). Heck,
> truck drivers do it every working day.

Guess you are going to do it at least once more. Good luck.

After driving from NYC to Cambridge one day, drove the next day, erev
Pesach, from MIT to Cornell (Ithaca, NY). Got speeding tickets in both Mass.
and NY States. Got there in time for Seder but was exhausted, to say the
least. Thank God the Cornell hotel school runs a nice hotel there.

Shavua Tov,
Abe