issho V1 #1276 (fwd)

ISSHO Kikaku

Feb 21, 2001, 1:15:04 PM2/21/01
issho Wednesday, February 21 2001 Volume 01 : Number 1276

One may subscribe to the ISSHO Digest
by sending email to majo...@ml.gol.com
with "subscribe issho" (without the
quotes) in the body of the note.

Please visit our website for more information:
http://www.issho.org

We look forward to your participation.

ISSHO Digest
comoderators

subjects of the messages sent today:
[ISSHO] Appeal on behalf of Foreign Teachers at the PUK
[ISSHO] NOTICE: Benci I, Benci II Financial Report

Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 00:43:26 +0900
From: Kirk Masden <mas...@kumagaku.ac.jp>
Subject: [ISSHO] Appeal on behalf of Foreign Teachers at the PUK

Dear Issho subscribers:

On several occasions in the past, I have mentioned the struggle to win
justice for the beleaguered foreign teachers at the Prefectural University
of Kumamoto. As the following letter from Masanori Hanada indicates, we
may now be approaching a final resolution. If you have not done so
already, please help us by joining the 9,000 others who have lent their
names to our appeal.

Kirk Masden

academics and professionals headed by Professor Masazumi Harada,
internationally
known for his work on Minamata disease.

The appeal was about to be presented on March 30, 1999 when a provisional
settlement was reached allowing for the reemployment of the final two
teachers, Dr. Cynthia Worthington and Ms. Sandra Mitchell. We had hoped
that the provisional settlement would lead to a permanent and mutually
satisfactory one. Unfortunately, however, the Prefectural University of
Kumamoto chose not to negotiate in good faith but instead unilaterally
terminated the employment of Dr. Worthington and Ms. Mitchell. This action
led to a legal battle that is still in progress. With the upcoming APEC
meetings to be held in Kyushu, the support group for the teachers would
like to focus attention on this issue by submitting over 10,000 names and
addresses of persons who support the petition. If you support the
petition, which calls upon the Prefectural government and PUK to work
actively toward a mutually satisfactory resolution, please add your name
and address to this petition.

The support group plans to deliver the appeal and petitions to the new
Governor of Kumamoto and to the President of the PUK in the near future. We
are sure that your signature on this appeal will play an important role in
persuading the authorities to soften their stance. We would be deeply
grateful if you could add your name and address to the bottom of the
accompanying letter and return it immediately to this e-mail address
(mas...@kumagaku.ac.jp).

Please feel free to forward this message to others whom you believe may be
interested in our cause. Also, if you have friends or acquaintances who
would like to sign the appeal but do not have access to the Internet,
please go to the following address, print out a copy of the appeal (which
is in Japanese) using one of the URLs shown below, and then mail the signed
document(s) to us at the postal address shown below.

http://www.kumagaku.ac.jp/teacher/~masden/mamorukai/shomei/shomei.pdf
(use this address if you have Adobe Acrobat software)

or

http://www.kumagaku.ac.jp/teacher/~masden/mamorukai/shomei/shomei.html
(this can be viewed on any browser but is of compromised visual quality)

It should be noted that this e-mail message is a summary, not an exact
translation, of the original Japanese appeal, which may be viewed at either
of the URLs shown above.

We plan to submit our appeal on April 5 at the earliest. All names and
addresses received by that date will be presented to the Governor and
President.

Yours sincerely,

Masanori Hanada
Chair, Coalition Against Discrimination by the Prefectural University of
Kumamoto
Professor, Kumamoto Gakuen University
Oe 2-5-1, Kumamoto-shi 862-8680
FAX: 81-96-372-0702

P.S. More information about this issue can be found at the following address:

http://www.kumagaku.ac.jp/teacher/~masden/mamorukai/english/Ehome.htm

This web page also contains the text of an earlier petition.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:04:13 +0900 (JST)
From: ISSHO Kikaku <is...@gol.com>
Subject: [ISSHO] NOTICE: Benci I, Benci II Financial Report

During 2000, many people sent contributions to
support the Benci (I) Project. We very much
appreciate those financial contributions, as
well as the immeasurable non-financial support
that has been given to us from people within
ISSHO network; without this support, none of
what we have accomplished would have been
possible.

We take this opportunity to present the financial
records of the Benci I Project and thus the current
financial status of the Benci II Project.

Benci's total assets before 11/7/00: 85,000 yen (donations from the ISSHO network)

Olaf Karthaus expenses <1>: 15,266 yen

David Alwinckle expenses <2>: 23,100 yen

no other declared expenses <3>

Total expenses: 38,366 yen

Assets after payment <4>: 46,634 yen

Notes:

<1> Olaf Karthaus expenses (breakdown):
9/19/99 (First Onsen trip),Kotoni to Otaru round trip, 650 x 2 = 1300 yen

1/3/00 (Kakunin trip to Otaru onsens to take photos of the signs with
newspaper)Kotoni to Otaru round trip, 650 x 2 = 1300 yen

1/31/00 (Funatsu Conference) Kotoni to Otaru round trip, 650 x 2 = 1300 yen

2/26/00 (Otaru Kazemakase) Kotoni to Otaru round trip, 650 x 2 = 1300 yen

3/1/00 (round Table with Otaru city) Kotoni to Otaru round trip, 650 x 2
= 1300 yen

4/8-9/00 (Trip to Wakkanai) gasoline: 8766 yen

grand total: 15266

<2> David Aldwinckle expenses (breakdown):

These are all JR Expenses (which do not require receipts--JR doesn't usually
issue them and most Japanese institutions--my school included--simply notes
them as established-price koutsuuhi and pays up):

9/19/99
Nopporo to Otaru round trip, 1050 x 2 = 2100 yen
11/24/00 (Meeting with Funatsu on Benci Business--re the Forum)
Nopporo to Otaru round trip, 1050 x 2 = 2100 yen
1/3/00 (Kakunin trip to Otaru onsens to take photos of the signs with
newspaper)
Nopporo to Otaru round trip, 1050 x 2 = 2100 yen
1/13/00 (Press Conference)
Nopporo to Otaru round trip, 1050 x 2 = 2100 yen
1/31/00 (Funatsu Conference)
Nopporo to Otaru round trip, 1050 x 2 = 2100 yen
2/9/00 (Roundtable with Canadian Ambassador)
Nopporo to Sapporo round trip, 350 x 2 = 700 yen
2/14/00 (Roundtable with American Consulate)
Nopporo to Sapporo round trip, 350 x 2, plus subway 240 x 2 = 1180 yen
2/9/00 (Roundtable with Russian Consulate)
Nopporo to Sapporo round trip, 350 x 2 = 700 yen
2/26/00 (Otaru Kazemakase)
Nopporo to Otaru round trip, 1050 x 2 = 2100 yen
4/15/00 (Sapporo Kazemakase II)
Nopporo to Sapporo round trip, 350 x 2 = 700 yen
4/16/00 (Chinjou Submission to Hokkaido Chiji et al)
Nopporo to Sapporo round trip, 350 x 2 = 700 yen
4/24/00 (Lobbying Otaru Assembly I)
Nopporo to Otaru round trip, 1050 x 2 = 2100 yen
4/26/00 (Lobbying Otaru Assembly II)
Nopporo to Otaru round trip, 1050 x 2 = 2100 yen
5/7/00 (Doshin Debate between Takeuchi and myself, after a Sapporo coffee
shop interview 4/29/00, countable because Issho was mentioned as my (David)
affiliation in the article)
Nopporo to Sapporo round trip, 350 x 2 = 700 yen
6/7/00 (Seitou Chousa delivered to Otaru and Dogikai political parties)
Nopporo to Otaru round trip, 1050 x 2 = 2100 yen, plus Nopporo to Sapporo
round trip, 350 x 2 = 700 yen, total of these two trips that day equals 2800
yen.

Grand total : 23,100 yen.

<3> With the consent of Benci members, I (Tony Laszlo)
spent 4,500 yen to pay for a PR-related service on
April 20. In addition, he spent several thousand
yen during the period before and after the 4/20
Diet program, most of that being tel/fax charges
incurred while contacting Diet members and the press.

However, in consideration of the fact that the two
Benci members who made donations did not to declare
expenses themselves though they incurred expenses,
and because the 4/20-related expenditures were also
in ISSHO's long-term interests, I decided that
the 4/20-related expenses should be allocated from
ISSHO's funds rather than from those of the Benci
Project.

<*>

End of issho V1 #1276