Irving sparks tension at Edelweiss

Heinrich

Dec 8, 2009, 3:33:09 AM12/8/09
Norridge police announced the arrest of five men in connection with an
incident Nov. 23 at Edelweiss German restaurant 7650 W. Irving Park Road.

Deputy Chief James Jobe said Nov. 24 police received at call about 7:15 p.m.
"Apparently shortly before that, there was a group that was hosting what
they refer to as a focus group," Jobe said. "The guest speaker's name was
David Irving."

The Anti-Defamation League's Web site contains an entire Web page on Irving.

"David Irving is unique among modern Holocaust deniers for having first
established a reputation as a popular, if controversial, chronicler of World
War II," the site states.

"David Irving's Holocaust denial is fundamentally anti-Semitic," said
Anti-Defamation League Assistant Director Jenna Benn. "Irving has spoken of
an 'international Jewish conspiracy' against him, has described Jews as
'Shylocks' and consistently blames Jews themselves for being hated. ...
Irving's writing, activities and associations with Holocaust deniers and
anti-Semites demonstrate that he continues to articulate and promote hard
core Holocaust denial."

Jobe believes Irving was there to feature books he had written.

"Apparently around 9:15 a group of five to eight individuals dressed all in
black with masks came into the restaurant, who we're assuming did not agree
with Mr. Irving's viewpoints on the world," Jobe said.

Jobe said the men apparently stormed the restaurant and went into the back
room where Irving and his group of about 15 to 20 people were. They
allegedly threw a red substance across some of Irving's books that were on
display, threw glasses and kicked over chairs. Patrons of the group forced
the individuals out of the restaurant and they fled the scene.

"A witness got a description of two vehicles," Jobe said. "One vehicle got
away ... but one vehicle was subsequently stopped by River Grove Police
Department and five individuals were taken into custody."

Acknowledging incomplete information on their addresses, Jobe identified the
five men as Jason Hammond, 24, of Chicago; Brandon Stepien, 19, of Chicago;
Nathan Hill, 26, of Morris; Adam DeSantis, 21, of Buffalo Grove; and Jeremy
Hammond, 24, of Chicago. Each were charged with two counts of disorderly
conduct, a class C misdemeanor. Their court date is Jan. 6.

Walter Kosch of Edelweiss restaurant said the Kosch family owns the
restaurant. Kosch said he never heard of Irving and doesn't know anything
about him.

"They booked a banquet for 30 people," he said. "That's the only thing that
we know. It was booked and the rest of it, I guess, is history.

"We would never, ever have booked them if (we knew) there was any kind of
radical environment," Kosch said. "We just don't condone that whether it's
the right or left. This is a family restaurant. All we do is we want people
to come here, enjoy themselves, have dinner and have nice food, nice
atmosphere in a safe environment.

"I found out later this guy (Irving) was really trying to sell books -- I
think that's what it is. He sells books saying that the Holocaust never
happened, which is ridiculous. If we would have known that, we never would
have let these people even come in here. We would have thrown them out."

Kosch said more questions will be asked in future bookings if the restaurant
doesn't know the guests. He also commends the Norridge and River Grove
police departments for their efforts.

http://www.pioneerlocal.com/norridge/news/1925609,norridge-edelweiss-121009-s1.article