Are American School of Isfahan bldgs in use?

Carl Holmberg

Feb 8, 1994, 4:17:52 PM2/8/94
Greetings!

I was a student with the American School of Isfahan for the years 1976 thru
1978. There were three facilities: the elementary on the main north-south
artery south of the Zand-e-rud, the middle school just north of town and west
of the extension to the same street, and the high school in the master planned
town of Shahin Shahr, ~20km north of town on the old Tehran highway.

The American School was closed after the return of the Ayat-Allah, so high
school reunions are not in the cards for me.

Instead, if anyone who has been or will be passing through Isfahan can tell me
anything about the current use of the school facilities, particularly the high
school, I'd be grateful for the knowledge. Given the grown in the population
of Iran over the last 15 years, here's to hoping they're still used as schools!
Also, if you can promise that they've melted down that ugly monument to Shah
Reza on the south side of town...

-Carl Holmberg-----------------Huge Aircrap Co.--Makers of fine missile-
-dedhe...@aol.com-----------P.O. Box 7928-----wares: Maverick, TOW,--
-------------------------------Canoga Park, CA---Phoenix, AMRAAM.-------
-------------------------------91309-7928 USA----Coming soon: SDI, to---
-------------------------------------------------a theater of war near--
-"Iraqnaphobia, now on videocassette"------------you!-------------------

Ali M. Zolfaghari

Feb 9, 1994, 11:29:52 AM2/9/94
Salaam Aleikom Mr Holmberg, and others,
I don't know what happened to the school buildings but I know what happened to the
Library books of the high school. The library collection was really good at least
in contrast to what iranian high schools had at the time. The books ended up
packed in boxes in storage in the old Hakim Sanaie School in Khooche Seyed Ali
Khan (the narrow street joining Chaharbagh to Ferdowsi ave.). The building of
Hakim Sanaie school had been turned into a Teachers Research Center and I used to
go there with my mother who was a physics teacher, so I volunteered to get the
books out of the boxes and form a library out of them by shelfing them in the
corner room. I made an inventory and kept a book for the borrowing of the members.
The books were used in the limited research efforts of the Center. A lot of
teachers wanted to know what were in the american high school and college science
books. There were many good dictionaries and encyclopedias among the books. It was
exciting for me to see so many books. There were a lot of good translation
efforts that started forming around that library since it had good resources and
was very quite and cozy. Professor Dadkhah of Isfahan tech Univ. used to come
over and work on his translation of "Classical Electromagnetics" by Jackson.
The translated book was finally published a couple of years back.

I hope it makes you happy to know that the resources were used for the best.
It sure makes me happy and brings back good memories.

Ali

Tom Sulyok

Feb 9, 1994, 2:30:58 PM2/9/94

Carl Holmberg (dedhe...@aol.com) wrote:
: Greetings!

Hi Carl!
the last time i remmember the school i and a blind friend of mine were
attending english classes. itwas the summer of 1983. ya the old school in
front of "SUPER POL " was still the same on 1983.also about the shah
monument in "darvazeh shiraz" demolished in the revolution time and now
there is nice waterfall replacing that monument .
farid eslami harbor college wilmington

Morteza

Aug 31, 2017, 7:01:00 AM8/31/17
the high school is now part of a major higher education institute witch is still partly administrated by Iranian Defense Ministry, looking at those pictures form the past, i can tell you mostly everything is preserved there, buildings, and etc,
i have finished my bachelor degree there, and have quite nice pictures from there witch belongs to, 3 years ago, if you want just send me and email, and i will send you the pictures,
sincerly