Pro Musica's Young Goan Talents...

Frederick Noronha

Sep 9, 2010, 9:31:09 PM9/9/10
Pro Musica recently presented ‘Young Goan Talents’ - a Western Classical concert - on Sunday, 22nd August at 6.30 p.m. at the St. Inez church, St. Inez, Panaji. This concert was the third in a continuing series with this edition being dedicated to the late Mr. Eric Menezes, the ex President and co-founder of Pro Musica.

* * *

THE PERFORMERS WERE:

Piano – Gisela Pereira, Nicole Alvares, Rahul Mascarenhas, Ingrid Nazareth.

Violin – Chernoll Mendonca, Dwayne Fernandes, Sancha Pereira.

Voice – Karla de Sousa, Chriselle Mendonca.

Flute – Valerie Menezes.

Guitar – Myron Mascarenhas.

This concert was put together by Margarida Miranda and members of Pro Musica and included some of Miranda’s pupils plus students of Pheroze Mistri, Goretti Pinheiro, Juliana de Sa, Susan Badyari, Schubert Cotta and Delia Varga. Three of the performers are also members of the Goa State Symphony Orchestra.

Works performed were by the composers Bach, Handel, Boccherini, Chopin, Schumann, Cesar Franck, Wieniawski, St. Saens, Sarasate, Albeniz and Poulenc.

Pro Musica is a non-profit music society formed in the year 2003 by Eric Menezes, Margarida Miranda and Maria Fernanda Souza as a need was felt for an organization to plan and co-ordinate events and activities for the promotion of Western Classical music in Goa, which was actually popular since long. Other members also joined in to lend support in helping realize its aims that include encouraging upcoming and promising local musical talent, providing exposure and just the joy of experiencing good music.

HERE'S WHAT DAN DRISCOLL <law...@dataone.in> wrote about the event:

Just back from the Pro Musica Memorial for late Eric Menezes, compered by his genial brother Les. It was an especially pleasant event, with performances by young student musicians.

As at Cana, they saved the best until the last. A young lady violinist by name Maria Sancha Pereira did Pablo de Sarasate (Introduction et Tarantelle) with the kind of verve that is (for me at least) a sure indication of real musical and performing talent.

She was called back for Encore, and I missed the actual title---but it had the ring of 'The Orange Blossom Special'---suggesting that her potential is just not for Baroque & Romantic Period European Classical only, but for world-class Jazz and Contemporary. I think that someday she will be a STAR.

I will not pretend to expertise in the field, but would suggest that if a good Scholarship Fund is not already in the making for this girl we should see to it that a move is made in that direction---and before too long.

Pro Musica concert, Aug 2010 at Sant Inez by fredericknoronha

Pro Musica concert, Aug 2010 at Sant Inez by fredericknoronha

Pro Musica concert, Aug 2010 at Sant Inez by fredericknoronha

Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fn-goa/sets/72157624919609338/

Frederick Noronha
+91-9822122436