Amaras are preudiced against black people

YESHI22

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

The following was addressed to me and I have given it my piece. I would
like to ask others to give their opinion on this subject.

Thanks.

*********
>Dear Mr./Ms. Yeshi22

>I am an African who is interested in African history. My father served at
>the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) in Addis Ababa in the early
>70's and again in the late 80's. During his assignments there, he had
>traveled to various districts of Ethiopia on several occasions. At the ECA
>my father had Ethiopian and Eritrean friends from among the local staff
>and the international civil servants. He told me he found out from his
>association with Amharas, Guragues, Tigres, Oromos, Eritreans Somali
>etc., that Ethiopians from other tribes and Eritreans were more open and
>friendly to black Africans than Amharas. He said the Amhara are prejudiced
>against black people in general because they consider themselves Semitic
>without a single drop of Negro blood. He said the testimony to this fact
>was that the Amharas used to own SLAVES ( whom they called Baria ),
>like their white counterparts here in the U.S before emancipation. He
>said even after slavery was abolished by law in Ethiopia, intermarriages
>between "Semitic" Amharas and the Cushitic/ Negroid people in Ethiopia
>were a taboo until very recently. The black people in Ethiopia were
>dehumanized and ostracized under Amhara rule.

>( Incidentally I learned from a Nigerian friend of mine who works for the
United
>Nations Development Program (UNDP) that Amharas call any black
>person "Baria" to this day.) Thus, if the Amahras want to live in peace
>with the Cushitic/Negroid people in Ethiopia, and with Eritreans, Kenyans,
>Nigerians and other Africans in the continent, it is time that they change
>their attitude, respect these people as fellow human beings and believe
>in peaceful co-existence with all.
>Regards,
>Kofi Busia

What did the Amaras look like when your dad met them in Addis? Did they look
Semite to him?
They looked Black didn't they? OR Was he telling you that, they don't act
black? What ever that
is! There is a difference you know?

I know we Ethiopians are known to be conceded! That comes from the pride of
our ancestors that
paid the price to be free of Colonialism; we think we're the best the earth has
to offer! off course
our generation don't have anything to do with the struggle except bask in the
achievement! Not
just Ethiopians mind you but all blacks bask on that as you know! having said
that; Have you or
you dad met an Ethiopian from an Afar nationality? If you think the Amara is
conceded, wait 'till
you see them!, you ain't seen nothing yet! It is for the same damn
reason....Being in the frontier
and their ancestors never letting a foreigner or a colonialist in land. In the
Mother Land that is!
And no Ethiopian challenges the Afar people in that department as far as I
know! The Eritrean
dictators are finding out the hard way as we speak!............ Is the Afar
Semite? You
tell me. But I know they're black.

I will tell you one thing; there was a rumor by some Eritrean Liberation
Movements in the 1970's
discrediting Amara's achievement in the anti colonial struggle of Ethiopia;
these claims has to do
with the Ethiopian army not pushing fascist Italians completely out of
Ethiopia or some loony
idea of that sort. In the first place, it was a multi national Ethiopian army
probably predominantly
Oromo as always and secondly, it was a logistical problem that force Ethiopians
stop short of
kicking the talians out in the Red Sea. By the way have you seen the picture of
King Menilik or
his wife Taitu the leaders that defeated the Italians in the battle of Adwa? He
ain't no Semite; is
he? Was he an Amara? You tell me! His wife was an Oromo the descendent of
Yejji dynasty.
Was Haile Selassie a Semite? I'll give you a hint! His dad was an Oromo! Is
Mengistu a Semite?
Is he an Amara? I don't know..Is Isayas Cushite/Negroid? You tell me. I have no
idea!.....................................................................
....Is Meles Cushite or Semite? I have heard he has claimed to be half Yemanie
once! Are
Yemenies black? Many of them look black to me! On the serious side, I gather
that the rumor I
mentioned above about the Amara being prejudice started at the same time the
Eritrean Liberation
movements claimed Eritrea was a Colony of Ethiopia. No African bought that
story! meaning no
sympathy to them! to this day these morons have a grudge against all African
countries for not
buying their lie! I guess some African individuals bought the "Amara
prejudiced against black"
folly! If pride of being a Superior Black gives the Amara that name, it may be
deserved; however,
don't forget black people all over the world identify with Superior Black
Ethiopian image to this
day!. That means it is not just an Amara or just Ethiopians that basked with
the PRIDE!.... And no
one misconstrues that kind of pride with self hate! Do you? in otherwords,
prejudice against oneself
(black)......You can label it something else but not self hate my friend! If
the Amara is prejudiced
against black people that means the Amara hates himself. That is far from the
truth! The opposite
is more likely the truth of the Amara or any other Ethiopian for that matter!
We may be poor but
we're black and proud!!... By the way, I don't know of any Semite in
Ethiopia.

Coming back to your point, I don't think Amaras are any different than any
other group of
Ethiopians. In fact due to their exposure they may be less prejudice towards
anyone than other
Ethiopians. They're certainly more tolerant than the Tigreans! A good part of
Amaras are mixed
with Oromos. Amaras are definitely black Africans; however, historians claim
all Ethiopians are a
mixture of Semites and African Bush man from centuries ago; I can buy that! In
my opinion
Ethiopians are similar to Afro-Americans with similar shades etc. So are the
rest of Africans
come to think of it; if they aren't mixed with one they're with another!

If you're interested in more I suggest you visit the land for yourself.
I will also post this on ( soc.culture.ethiopia.misc ) news group. that way
you'll get other
perspectives.

Regards!

YESHI22

Dec 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/23/97

The following was addressed to me and I have given it my piece. I would
like to ask others to give their opinion on this subject.

Thanks.

>Subj: Amharas are prejudiced against black people
>Date: 97-12-22 23:30:44 EST
>From: Chat97
>To: YESHI22

>Dear Mr./Ms. Yeshi22

foreigner or a colonialist in land. In theMother Land that is! And no

Ethiopian challenges the Afar people in that department as far as I
know! The Eritrean dictators are finding out the hard way as we speak!
............ Is the Afar Semite? You tell me. But I know they're black.

I will tell you one thing; there was a rumor by some Eritrean Liberation
Movements in the 1970's discrediting Amara's achievement in the anti
colonial struggle of Ethiopia; these claims has to do with the Ethiopian
army not pushing fascist Italians completely out of Ethiopia or some
loony idea of that sort. In the first place, it was a multi national Ethiopian
army probably predominantly Oromo as always and secondly, it was a
logistical problem that force Ethiopians stop short of kicking the talians
out in the Red Sea. By the way have you seen the picture of King
Menilik or his wife Taitu the leaders that defeated the Italians in the
battle of Adwa? He ain't no Semite; is he? Was he an Amara? You tell
me! His wife was an Oromo the descendent of Yejji dynasty.
Was Haile Selassie a Semite? I'll give you a hint! His dad was an Oromo!

Is Mengistu a Semite? Is he an Amara? I don't know......

Is Isayas Cushite/Negroid? You tell me. I have no idea!

........Is Meles Cushite or Semite? I have heard he has claimed to be half

Yemanie once! Are Yemenies black? Many of them look black to me!

On the serious side, I gather that the rumor I mentioned above about
the Amara being prejudice started at the same time the Eritrean Liberation
movements claimed Eritrea was a Colony of Ethiopia. No African bought

that story! meaning no sympathy to them! To this day these morons have

a grudge against all African countries for not buying their lie! I guess
some African individuals bought the "Amara prejudiced against black"
folly! If pride of being a Superior Black gives the Amara that name, it may
be deserved; however, don't forget black people all over the world
identify with Superior Black Ethiopian image to this day!. That means it is
not just an Amara or just Ethiopians that basked with the PRIDE!.... And no
one misconstrues that kind of pride with self hate! Do you? in otherwords,

would you compare that as prejudice against oneself (black)?......You can
label the pride anything your heart desires but not self hate my friend! If

the Amara is prejudiced against black people that means the Amara hates
himself. That is far from the truth! The opposite is more likely the truth of
the Amara or any other Ethiopian for that matter!

We may be poor but we're black and proud!!... By the way, I don't know

of any so called Semite in Ethiopia.

Hassan M. Mohamud

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

Amhara are the only African who colonized and oppressed other African
peoples and until today wish to oppress even more. Perhaps history will
never forgive their latest leaders of Mengistu and Hailaselase for their
massacre and atrocities against their African brothers of ethnic Eritreans
and Somalis in the 70s and 80s with help from Russian and Cuba.
Therefore, I am not surprised that if Amhara think that they are better
than other Africans. It explains their attitude to colonize other peoples
such as Oromos who are may be four times more than Amharas.

It is
unfortunate that even today, the Tigray led administration Addis Ababa is
continuing their old Abyssinian policy which based on undemocratic,
oppression and in many cases is worse than Mengistu regime.

Thank
Hassan

YESHI22 (yes...@aol.com) wrote:

: The following was addressed to me and I have given it my piece. I would

Amharawo

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

Selam Yeshi and the rest.

This is just another weapon that is used to discredit, destroy
and dismantle the Amhara community. Amharas always have been, gentle,
peaceful, and accomdating to other nationals, as anyone would be. To go
further and to label the Amharas as a racist is nothing but a game ploy
by OLF, ELF, TPLF...blahaLFS inorder to
advance their cause. Since, they have failed to produce any concrete
documents, supporting their false theory of "Amahras as Colonials", they
have turn to bad mouthing and propaganda against the Amharas, as
slave-holders, racist, savages...etc. Intact, if one takes the time to
search through Ethiopia's history, one will discover that the majority
of Slave traders and owners are the Oromos and the Southern people
themselves. In today's Ethiopia, Amharas are portrayed "Past Criminals"
and are the current punching bags, and not surprisingly now a "racist
against Black people". The anti-Amharas will go great distance to
destroy Amharas from the face of the Earth, and this is just another pit
stop in their great path. Intact they have used various tactics to
achieve their main goal, to "Exterminate Amharas "
and this is just one of the pocket full, and one should not
be surprise to hear anti-Amhara propaganda flying around the net. By the
way, how did the American know who is an Amhara, and who is not, is he
just following what others told him, or is he assuming that because one
spoke Amharic, then he/she is an Amhara ? Well, I hope our friend will
learn that this is just nothing but a ploy against the Amharas.

Solomon S.

FasilL123

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

God bless you Yeshi...this guy sent the same message to me as well. I ignored
him primarily because I don't respond to off line messages of the provocateur
kind. Anyways, I couldn't have done any better......once again I say hear
ye..hear ye in the direction of your posting.

THANK YOU....THANK YOU

YESHI22

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

NahuSenai wrote:

* I am an Ethiopian female whose mother is an Amara and whose father
* is a mixture of Oromo and Sodo Gurage. I would like to tell all readers
* one truth I know growing up. My maternal grandparents, who were
* both Amara, were feudal landlords who owned several GASHAS of
* land in Southern Ethiopia. Besides that they use to own SLAVES
* (Bariawoch Neberuachew). Until I grew up and attended high
* school I did not know it was wrong to enslave people. As a child I
* thought we were one of the privileged few who owned slaves
* (bariawoch) who would serve us. Our family was proud that we had
* a lot of land and many slaves. It was a sign of social status. We were
* members of the ruling class entitled to many privileges.

* I am surprised to read the denials of Yeshi22 and FasilL123 that
* there was no slavery in Ethiopia and that the remenants of the
* Amara landlords are not prejudiced against black people. As far
* as I am concerned the best way to handle the issue of SLAVERY
* in Ethiopia in the past 100 years is to admit that this practice of the
* feudal era was wrong and immoral and accept responsibility for
* the suffering inflicted upon hundreds and thousands of pepole
* and ask the people i.e, ex-Slaves or their descendants
* for forgiveness.

The central question Kofi asked was if Amaras are pure Semites.
The answer is NE! As an African History enthusiast, I am sure he
is aware of the African Slave Trade and its intricacy.

I can't thank you enough NahuSenai! You proved my point brilliantly!.
Your "Cushite/Negroid" father was MARRIED to the "Semite" SLAVE
MASTER'S" Amara daughter! .. and ... What a surprise!! ......there
you've it!! ..............
......................... The beautiful daughter Nahu!!

It is ironic however, you 'the privelaged few' daughter of a "CUSHITE"
'didn't know it was wrong to enslave people'!! (Yemeharene Krestos!)

I am sure our African brother Kofi also realizes this was the extent the
African Slavery was practiced throughout the Continent.

Thank You Nahusenai!

YESHI22

Dec 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/27/97

ao...@torfree.net (Hassan M. Mohamud) wrote:

>Amhara are the only African who colonized and oppressed other African
>peoples and until today wish to oppress even more

Amara(Ethiopian) are the only organized Africans who defeated European
Colonialism.

>Perhaps history will
>never forgive their latest leaders of Mengistu and Hailaselase for their
>massacre and atrocities against their African brothers of ethnic Eritreans
>and Somalis in the 70s and 80s

How do you know Mengistu and Haileseassie are Amara?

>Therefore, I am not surprised that if Amhara think that they are better
>than other Africans. It explains their attitude to colonize other peoples
>such as Oromos who are may be four times more than Amharas.

Why do you put your African self down? What is wrong in emulating Africans
that defended themselves from European Savagery? Does everything has
to come from your' White Masters'? What was the role of Oromo in the Empire
building of Ethiopia? What was Amara's role? What is Colonialism? Is there
such a thiing as African Colonialism? Can you explain?
As... you're a casualty of clan mentality and self inflicted ignoramous
beyond repair,........ your answer is......... zilch!

>unfortunate that even today, the Tigray led administration Addis Ababa is
>continuing their old Abyssinian policy which based on undemocratic,
>oppression and in many cases is worse than Mengistu regime.

You got that one right! It isn't Biology/Genealogy that disposes one to
democratic virtues!

YESHI22

Dec 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/28/97

*Subj: Barenet ena Ye-Baria Negid Be-Ethiopia
*Date: 97-12-27 23:09:52 EST
*From: Shifinfin
*To: YESHI22

*You are the biggest buffoon I have ever seen in my life.
*Why don't you stop insulting people and speak the truth.
*Is it not true that >your grandparents had SLAVES
*(BARIAWOCH). Do you deny this truth? I am going to
*tell the truth so that the world would know that you people
*used to own SLAVES and subjected them to inhuman treatment.
*I want the American public and particularly the African-Americans
*and other black people the world over to know that you Amharas
*used to own people as slaves. Do you know the place called
*GINDE BERET, in Shoa, near Addis Ababa, where slaves who
*would be sold by the Amara slave traders were kept in custody.

*I am not going to keep quiet. I am going to tell the whole world
*who you people are and what you used to do.

*I am sure this would come as a nightmare to you and all Chauvinists.

*Bye for now.

My contention with your comments isn't whether you, Amara,
Ethiopians or any African owned slaves or not. African slavery
is a documented matter in elementary African histroy books. If you
don't know that you're more simpleton than I figured you were!
My dear, get this to your thick head! You collaborated with anti
Amara elements who do not want to take any responsibility for
their actions. You, who is not even a full Amara, with Oromo father
testified and colaborated with accusers that claimed "Amara is pure
Semite with no drop of negro blood"! Do you get that? You know
damn well the difference of talking about Ethiopian slave trade and
framing the Amara as a sub-Human! You colaborated in paving the
way of another round of Amara peasants to be thrown off a cliff!
And be taken to the slaughter houses! ............Didn't you?
Don't act naive on me now girl friend!

Don't assume anything! What separated you from me is your lackey
despositon and opportunism! Not whether you exposed 'GINDE
BERET' or your blood sucker grand parents! Dictator Mengistu
has been known to be son of a 'Baria', that's a quarter of a century
ago! He didn't have any problem kicking yours or anybody's blood
sucking feudal parents to the dust bean of History! Most feudal
elements were gone from the face of Ethiopia, including your
petty-mini grand parents with their Gashas and slaves before E/TPLF
came to power!. So, Shifinfin WHY DO YOU PRTEND TO BE IN
HAILE SELASSIE'S ERA?........ Why don't you talk of the present
absentee land lords E/TPLF?

For your information, Afro-Americans know the problem of SOME
'light skinned negroes' including Ethiopians like you! They want to
see how you act in their face not your stupid little princess fairy tale
'I used to be a slave owner'! Tell your stupid tale to your son or
daughter at night cap! But show them (AFRO-AM) you are a women
with black pride!... Live it!..... That'll gain you respect! ..... That is what
honesty is all about! if you know what I mean!.. Not your liberal bull!
Afro-Americans have seen and heard enough, and are tired of 'White
Liberal tale' of we're against 'slavery' crap!........ They want to see the
real pudding! If you get my drift!.... Let us face it, Your grand parents
are black Africans, who happen to be ignorant, backword and retarded
feudal lords. They never had the power of the white institutions to
ensalve a race of people! They're nickel and dime peddlers period!.

So my dear, if you insist go ahead tell your little tale without taging the
Amara as a "pure Semite.." and sole owner of the 'Ginde-Beret enterprise'
which is the truth so help you (Little Princess).. God!!

Good Luck!!