need_Welsh_translation

R.BIDGOOD

Aug 15, 1989, 12:06:29 PM8/15/89
I need someone to help me translate the following:

Yn nwfn swyn ei fynwes O
Caf lonydd caf le i huno
-Ben Bowen

I was in Wales a few years ago, and now that I am reviewing my
photos, I decided I should pursue the meaning of this
photograph. The photo is of an inscription on the inside wall
of a church's ruins. When I saw it, I thought it would be
"neat" to capture it and someday translate it.

One of my colleagues has graciously lent me his
wife's book on teaching yourself Welsh. So far, I am guessing
the following:

In _____ ____ his _____ of

____ ____ _____ __ to ______

And even this much is probably not quite what the author had
in mind!

If you have any idea, please reply.
Thanks,
Rennie Bidgood
lzfme!frew
201-957-6079

AT&T Bell Labs
MT 4G-409
200 Laurel Ave.
Middletown, N.J. 07748

Steve Hosgood

Aug 24, 1989, 7:04:37 AM8/24/89
I'm having to post this, as I can't seem to get through on E-mail..

In article <15...@lzfme.att.com> fr...@lzfme.att.com (R.BIDGOOD) writes:
>I need someone to help me translate the following:
>
> Yn nwfn swyn ei fynwes O
> Caf lonydd caf le i huno
> -Ben Bowen
>
>I was in Wales a few years ago, and now that I am reviewing my
>photos, I decided I should pursue the meaning of this
>photograph. The photo is of an inscription on the inside wall
>of a church's ruins. When I saw it, I thought it would be
>"neat" to capture it and someday translate it.

I'm not a first-language Welsh speaker, but I think I can help. For one,
I have a better dictionary :-)

Oh, In the depth of the charm (or magic?) of her breast (or bosom)
I find peace, I find a place to sleep.

'Huno' means 'to sleep', but 'wedi huno' means 'died'. I think it must be
the former here though..

It could be an epitaph to someone's mother, or maybe an oblique, poetic
reference to the land itself.. any poets out there?

>One of my colleagues has graciously lent me his
>wife's book on teaching yourself Welsh. So far, I am guessing
>the following:
>
> In _____ ____ his _____ of

>And even this much is probably not quite what the author had
>in mind!

Dictionaries may not help much unless you understand Welsh grammar. For
instance, 'fynwes' will not appear in *any* dictionary. It is really
'mynwes' having been soft-mutated to 'fynwes' by the preceding 'ei'.

Hours of amusement can be had this way!

BTW, I use 'Y Geiriadur Newydd - The new Welsh Dictionary' by H.Meurig Evans
and W.O Thomas. Published by Christopher Davies (publishers) Ltd, P.O Box
403, Sketty, Swansea, Wales, UK. Only L6.95 from your local bookseller!