Big Jim at Wauchula

Jack Waiboer

Mar 28, 2009, 10:21:23 PM3/28/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Pretty good showing for Big Jim and his crew in Wauchula.  Top 10 in every category ended up number 8 overall.  Nicely done old man.  I might have to come visit and get a few pointers.  :))  I'll bet that newish cooker came in mighty handy about nap time.

Jack W.
Charleston, SC

big...@wildblue.net

Mar 29, 2009, 8:49:10 AM3/29/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jack. We were only missing you and Mary to round out the crew. We had Steve and Sandy Sheffield, Bob and Ginger, Jim and Myra Stewart and The Fatman.
  As usual The ribs and pork we thought were our best ended up our worst and the chicken and brisket scored 3 places higher.
  We did get a call in the dessert category. 3rd.
  The pit did good.
  Thanks.
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten
big...@wildblue.net

Jack Waiboer

Mar 29, 2009, 9:27:42 AM3/29/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
That's a great crew for sure.  We're gonna try to make a trip this year.  Keep me posted.

Jack W.
Charleston, SC

Bruce Cook

Mar 29, 2009, 10:47:04 AM3/29/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

Consistency counts. Way to go guys and gals.

Pretty good showing for Big Jim and his crew in Wauchula.  Top 10 in every category ended up number 8 overall.  Nicely done old man.  I might have to come visit and get a few pointers.  :))  I'll bet that newish cooker came in mighty handy about nap time.

Jack W.

Charleston, SC

big...@wildblue.net

Mar 29, 2009, 11:46:18 AM3/29/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Tanks Bruce.
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten
big...@wildblue.net
Jack, I didn't do much "crewing".  Showed up Fri evening, stayed till about 10:30, then headed to the house(1hr 15 mins away)  Myra went back on Sat , but I was involved helping watching the stupidest redneck video on how to get a box truck onto an equipment trailer. Sad part there was no video, and the box truck never did get loaded!  But I bet we coulda been in the runnin for the $10,000 if there was a video!  Pigman!

In a message dated 3/29/2009 9:28:00 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ja...@sc.rr.com writes:
That's a great crew for sure.  We're gonna try to make a trip this year.  Keep me posted.

Jack W.
Charleston, SC

Buzz Dean

Mar 29, 2009, 3:57:25 PM3/29/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Great job guys!!! Gonna hold a class soon 'cause my cooking sucked
this weekend---at least that's what they said when my butt was kicked
out of La

Merrill

Mar 30, 2009, 2:02:01 AM3/30/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Great job Jim. That new pit is a beauty!

Merrill

big...@wildblue.net

Mar 30, 2009, 10:39:47 AM3/30/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Merrill, it ain't purty BUTT, it cooks good with very little
attention.
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten
big...@wildblue.net

Mar 31, 2009, 1:38:03 AM3/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
I had a warmer box go bad at my last appointment. We left it out for
scrappers to haul away. It was shorter, but wider than yours. I did look
it over with a few ideas, but I never thought about adding a charcoal
box like yours. Maybe the kitchen will have another one go bad some day!

Merrill

Merrill

Mar 31, 2009, 11:32:30 AM3/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Buzz Dean wrote:
> Great job guys!!! Gonna hold a class soon 'cause my cooking sucked
> this weekend---at least that's what they said when my butt was kicked
> out of La

Buzz,
I have to ask a question on this. Knowing that your cooking is never
bad, do you think that there are wide variances in expectations when you
make a big change in regions? For instance, I know that sliced pork
works well here in the mid-west, but I've been told it isn't so popular
to do if your competing in the deep south. Any thoughts?

Merrill

Buzz Dean

Mar 31, 2009, 4:32:17 PM3/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
If the meat is good--the meat is good! Think that a good looking mixed
presentation would be fine. A box of pulled,sliced with some chunks
would fine everywhere as long as the pork is good---and I'm ready to
sign up for a class!

phil wingo

Mar 31, 2009, 4:35:28 PM3/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

jack w does a nice pork box. as a judge i like to see all types in the box

Mar 31, 2009, 4:51:10 PM3/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
OK...so are we talking just a bad day or did they escort you to the
state line? <G> We were hitting middle of the pack for pork for a long
time, so I took a class. First comp after that...we were middle of the
pack! I guess it really is the cook! :)

Merrill

big...@wildblue.net

Mar 31, 2009, 5:10:12 PM3/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Here is what we turned in. Some of the pictures ain't that good. We had to
chop the brisket.
6th chicken and brisket
9th ribs and pork
James A. "Big Jim" Whitten
big...@wildblue.net

HPIM0694w.jpg
HPIM0696w.jpg
HPIM0699w.jpg
HPIM0702w.jpg

phil wingo

Mar 31, 2009, 5:16:44 PM3/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

this is my opinion chicken box 7 rib box 7 pork 9 is the 4th box brisket? chopped 6 i like to see it sliced . that just my 2 cents

Bill Martin

Mar 31, 2009, 5:25:59 PM3/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
DAYAM, Big Jim, you are turning into some kind of good food design
photographer. I could almost smell those.

Bill
> <HPIM0694w.jpg><HPIM0696w.jpg><HPIM0699w.jpg><HPIM0702w.jpg>

If we could just get everyone to close their eyes and visualize world
Peace for an hour, imagine how serene and quiet it would be until the
looting started.
...................unknown

big...@wildblue.net

Mar 31, 2009, 5:28:48 PM3/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Presentation:
Chicken 9.0, 10.0, 10.0. 9.0, 9.5, 9.0
Ribs 9.5. 9.5, 9.5, 9.0, 9.0, 9.5
pork 9.5, 9.5, 8.0, 9.5, 9.0, 9.0
Brisket 9.0. 8.0, 9.5, 9.5, 8.5, 6.5.

phil wingo

Mar 31, 2009, 5:35:06 PM3/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

was or is that a fba contest?

big...@wildblue.net

Mar 31, 2009, 5:46:53 PM3/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Yes. FBA

phil wingo

Mar 31, 2009, 5:50:03 PM3/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

i mostly do kcbs , they do look good

big...@wildblue.net

Mar 31, 2009, 6:11:09 PM3/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
I like FBA, no putting greens or Texas lettuce in the boxes. Like they say
this a meat contest. :-)

Andrew Stanley

Mar 31, 2009, 6:12:26 PM3/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Jim, your pics sure look like you know how to cook... now, let's have
a talk about what is and what is not cornbread <G>

Cheers,

-Andrew
--
I collect hobbies

big...@wildblue.net

Mar 31, 2009, 6:22:41 PM3/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
OK short discussion.
cornbread is fresh stone-ground unleavened meal (I like yellow), salt,
lard and hot water. Cooked in a HOT cast iron skillet at 425° till brown and
crunchy. At least an 1/8" of hot lard in the bottom.

J Perrigin

Mar 31, 2009, 6:24:51 PM3/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Dangit Big Jim!!!!! My stomach physically just growled reading that!!!!!!!

-Jason in Dickson TN

Andrew Stanley

Mar 31, 2009, 7:13:40 PM3/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Where's the yeast, flour, and molasses?

Food looks damn good Jim. Hope to see you again this year...
--
I collect hobbies

Robert King

Mar 31, 2009, 11:13:02 PM3/31/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
No yankee sugar? What's up wit dat?

Robert King

On Mar 31, 2009, at 3:22 PM, <big...@wildblue.net>

big...@wildblue.net

Apr 1, 2009, 8:13:32 AM4/1/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
ain't no yeast, flour and molasses in real cornbread. That makes it cornmeal
cake.

Eddie

Apr 1, 2009, 9:05:52 AM4/1/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Well said BJ
No virus found in this incoming message
Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (6.0.0.17 - 10.004.003).
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

No virus found in this outgoing message
Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (6.0.0.17 - 10.004.003).
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/

Buzz Dean

Apr 1, 2009, 3:55:43 PM4/1/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Of all the meats it seems pork is just giving me a fit---what I've been
cooking just doesn"t taste good to me--even if the judges like it a little I
haven't liked it for a year---my problem is sometimes a lackadaisacal
attitude towards practicing and planning to be more consistent--going
to judge a couple contests now--maybe find the fun again!
And our food was just ok--chicken tough, ribs really skinny, pork was
pork and the btrisket was great--but didn't score

Chris Hart

Apr 1, 2009, 4:01:59 PM4/1/09
to The Smoke Ring BBQ List
I bet these guys could help you Buzz:

http://www.pelletenvy.com/pe_classes.php

Chris

On Apr 1, 3:55 pm, Buzz Dean <2fat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Of all the meats it seems pork is just giving me a fit---what I've been
> cooking just doesn"t taste good to me--even if the judges like it a little I
> haven't liked it for a year---my problem is sometimes a lackadaisacal
> attitude towards practicing and planning to be more consistent--going
> to judge a couple contests now--maybe find the fun again!
> And our food was just ok--chicken tough, ribs really skinny, pork was
> pork and the btrisket was great--but didn't score
>
> On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Merrill <captain-...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > OK...so are we talking just a bad day or did they escort you to the
> > state line? <G>  We were hitting middle of the pack for pork for a long
> > time, so I took a class.  First comp after that...we were middle of the
> > pack!  I guess it really is the cook! :)
>
> > Merrill
>
> > Buzz Dean wrote:
> > > If the meat is good--the meat is good! Think that a good looking mixed
> > > presentation would be fine. A box of pulled,sliced with some chunks
> > > would fine everywhere as long as the pork is good---and I'm ready to
> > > sign up for a class!

Stan Marks

Apr 1, 2009, 6:19:12 PM4/1/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Well, sure – they beat Buzz AND won GC at Hammond, this past weekend! ;)

Stan

Buzz Dean

Apr 1, 2009, 8:13:39 PM4/1/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
they got a class just down the road this weekend--Lori and I thought about going but decided not and took a vacation instead---would like to take that class sometime though----trouble is so many folks have taken the same class food does tend to look and taste the same.

Pigm...@aol.com

jjk

Apr 1, 2009, 11:11:17 PM4/1/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
I know what you mean. I once cooked a prize-winning pork butt. Other competitors raved about it, and the judges loved it, but to me it was just pork. I didn't think it was that great. I loved my brisket, but it only took second. I guess there is no accounting for taste . . . . JJK

Buzz Dean

Apr 2, 2009, 9:17:01 AM4/2/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Individual taste says it all I think! Love ribs almost way cooked(even
in the oven in a pan of sauce!),brisket rocks my world and
chicken--well its chicken! Love pulling hunks of juicy pork off a butt
that has been cooked over direct heat and dipping the hunks in a
vinegar pepper sauce(Geaux Juice) but other then that prefer my pork
sliced---must be my northern upbringing--hehe

Chris Hart

Apr 2, 2009, 9:19:52 AM4/2/09
to The Smoke Ring BBQ List
Well, you're not going to copy it... just take 2 or 3 things away that
would make your style of bbq better... :)

Chris

On Apr 1, 8:13 pm, Buzz Dean <2fat...@gmail.com> wrote:
> they got a class just down the road this weekend--Lori and I thought about
> going but decided not and took a vacation instead---would like to take that
> class sometime though----trouble is so many folks have taken the same class
> food does tend to look and taste the same.

Buzz Dean

Apr 2, 2009, 9:54:09 AM4/2/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
The small things would be interesting to learn---also some tips about
meat selection&trimming, that braised in butter chicken thingee too
Seems an awful lot is absorbed from other class members to plus the
chance to meet more bbq'ers is always a good thing but guess all that
just wasn't worth 750bucks this weekend---maybe should just buy a new
'shigging' lens for the Nikon-hehe

Sherman Watkins

Apr 2, 2009, 10:34:42 AM4/2/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Ahh, found money.  It's amazing what not doing something you contemplated can save you.  I know a lady who sometimes decides not to get a $30 haircut and other times decides to skip the $45 haircut.  It just depends on how much money she needs to save to spend on something else.  Taken to extremes it can almost be pathological (see Washington D.C.)
I, myself, saved $1200 by not buying a Bushmaster and have almost $500 of that left.  I need to not buy something else.  Taxes are due.
--
Sherm
Smoking in Montana's Banana Belt

Bruce Cook

Apr 2, 2009, 10:45:07 AM4/2/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

I saved money by buying a used SQ Deal for .38/357. Now I have 2 SQ Deals and need another .

Bruce

mailto:br...@bdbbq.com

Bill Martin

Apr 2, 2009, 10:54:13 AM4/2/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
When I was married to "that woman", she would come home loaded with packages and inform me that she had saved $$$XX.

I would ask her to please show me, or deposit the money she had saved.

Probably one of the reasons I am no longer married to "that woman".

Bill

30.257249° N
98.878219° W

Gerry Curry

Apr 2, 2009, 10:57:07 AM4/2/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Guess I've been married too long. This makes perfect sense to me. (grin)

On 2-Apr-09, at 11:54 AM, Bill Martin wrote:

> When I was married to "that woman", she would come home loaded with
> packages and inform me that she had saved $$$XX.

Gerry Curry
ge...@currysystems.com

Buzz Dean

Apr 2, 2009, 12:19:19 PM4/2/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Been married too long also

Ingeb...@aol.com

Apr 2, 2009, 12:37:11 PM4/2/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Understanding that is why you have been married so long.

Big Krabba

Apr 2, 2009, 1:41:07 PM4/2/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 12:37 PM, <Ingeb...@aol.com> wrote:
Understanding that is why you have been married so long.

Acceptance also helps.  I can't remember being single.

Les

Steve

Apr 6, 2009, 12:23:25 PM4/6/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
I'm not getting messages from the group. testing 123

Gerry Curry

Apr 6, 2009, 12:28:55 PM4/6/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Receiving you loud and clear. ;-)

On 6-Apr-09, at 1:23 PM, Steve wrote:

> I'm not getting messages from the group. testing 123

Gerry Curry
ge...@currysystems.com

phil wingo

Apr 6, 2009, 12:31:46 PM4/6/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com

i got it

Garry Howard

Apr 6, 2009, 1:23:32 PM4/6/09
to SmokeR...@googlegroups.com
Some people just can't take a hint!

Garry

Tom in Virginia Beach

Apr 6, 2009, 5:12:45 PM4/6/09
to The Smoke Ring BBQ List

On Mar 31, 5:10 pm, <big...@wildblue.net> wrote:
> Here is what we turned in. Some of the pictures ain't that good.

Looked pretty good to me.

Way to go.

Tom in Virginia Beach