Any plans for a meetup this month?

Paul Gallagher

Jul 27, 2009, 12:20:31 PM7/27/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
I've got last-Thursdays marked in my diary now;-)
Haven't seen any discussion about a meeting this month though. Any plans?

Regards,
Paul

JasonOng

Jul 28, 2009, 2:26:56 AM7/28/09
to Singapore Ruby Brigade
Thx Paul for the reminder. :)

Anybody wanna do a talk?

Sau Sheong are we able to get Yahoo for meetup still?

Ming Yeow Ng

Jul 28, 2009, 2:28:59 AM7/28/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
hey peeps, i will be back next week (not this week), but i would not be around in the last thu. =)

sausheong

Jul 28, 2009, 3:12:56 AM7/28/09
to Singapore Ruby Brigade
Yes, Yahoo facilities are still available. Jason, can you contact Amos
Kwok at am...@yahoo-inc.com? He can make arrangements for this Thurs
should there be one. Unfortunately I will not be able to make it this
Thursday. Or else you can also liaise with Herry or Andras?

Phoenix

Jul 28, 2009, 8:54:06 AM7/28/09
to Singapore Ruby Brigade
Hi..

I'm new to this but really keen to participate...been using RoR for
some work.
I'd like to come if the meeting is on.

On Jul 28, 3:12 pm, sausheong <saushe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, Yahoo facilities are still available. Jason, can you contact Amos
> Kwok at a...@yahoo-inc.com? He can make arrangements for this Thurs

Stephen Paul Suarez

Jul 28, 2009, 9:26:52 AM7/28/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
hi everyone,

my name is stephen.. i'm a ruby guy that's new here in singapore..
and am wanting to connect with other ruby users here.. i'd like to
come to the meetup if it's on..

[~/]: stephen

Andras Kristof

Jul 28, 2009, 9:53:10 AM7/28/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I can help with the facilities. Shall we do it this Thursday?

Phoenix, Stephen, welcome :)

Andras

JasonOng

Jul 29, 2009, 2:41:17 AM7/29/09
to Singapore Ruby Brigade
Sure let's do it this thurs. Anybody keen on doing a talk?

On Jul 28, 9:53 pm, Andras Kristof <akris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I can help with the facilities. Shall we do it this Thursday?
>
> Phoenix, Stephen, welcome :)
>
> Andras
>
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 3:12 PM, sausheong <saushe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, Yahoo facilities are still available. Jason, can you contact Amos
> > Kwok at a...@yahoo-inc.com? He can make arrangements for this Thurs

JasonOng

Jul 30, 2009, 1:02:18 AM7/30/09
to Singapore Ruby Brigade
Hi guys

Who's coming for a meetup if it's on today? I can do a short talk on
database seeding.

I think if we can have > 5 peeps then we'll proceed else we'll try
next week? I can get Patrick Haller to do a DSL talk then if he's
free.

Paul Gallagher

Jul 30, 2009, 1:09:14 AM7/30/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
I'm up for it Jason. Next week also good (better even), so let's see how your vote goes.

Regards,
Paul

Stephen Paul Suarez

Jul 30, 2009, 1:32:19 AM7/30/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
im good with today as well.. but next week would be better.. +1 for next week..

[~/]: stephen

Arun Thampi

Jul 30, 2009, 1:37:26 AM7/30/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
Yup me too +1 for next week.

Cheers,
Arun
--
It's better to be a pirate than join the Navy - Steve Jobs
http://mclov.in

David Chua

Jul 30, 2009, 1:39:31 AM7/30/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
Yay I can finally join :)

David

JasonOng

Jul 30, 2009, 1:44:55 AM7/30/09
to Singapore Ruby Brigade
Alright looks like most peeps prefer next week. Are we able to have it
on wed instead? I'll be flying off to Kuching on thur.

On Jul 30, 1:39 pm, David Chua <zhc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yay I can finally join :)
>
> David
>
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Arun Thampi <arun.tha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yup me too +1 for next week.
> > Cheers,
> > Arun
>
> > On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Stephen Paul Suarez <devpo...@gmail.com>wrote:
>
> >> im good with today as well.. but next week would be better.. +1 for next
> >> week..
>
> >> [~/]: stephen
>
> >> On Jul 30, 2009, at 1:09 PM, Paul Gallagher wrote:
>
> >> I'm up for it Jason. Next week also good (better even), so let's see how
> >> your vote goes.
>
> >> Regards,
> >> Paul

Stephen Paul Suarez

Jul 30, 2009, 1:53:08 AM7/30/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
cool.. wednesday sounds good to me..

[~/]: stephen

JasonOng

Jul 30, 2009, 2:10:24 AM7/30/09
to Singapore Ruby Brigade
Think first week of the month looks better for most people, judging
from various calendars that I've seen with strings of events lined up
on the 3rd and last week of each month.

I love how we are free to participate but I wish SRB could be just a
little bit more structured. Not asking for us to register as a society
or form an exco but at least some volunteers to be in charge of
certain things might make our meetings more consistent.

Volunteers:
- Venue coordinator
- Topic coordinator
- Mailing list coordinator

Also with cue from Patrick Haller, I'm also suggesting the following
flow of our meeting.

Flow:
- Beginner topic + Q&A
- Intermediate/expert topic + Q&A
- Stackoverflow-ish "throw my problems faced in ruby to the crowd"
- Ruby news dicussion
- Dinner + drinks

Maybe we can discuss all this next week? :)

zan

Jul 30, 2009, 2:34:49 AM7/30/09
to Singapore Ruby Brigade
thats a good idea. i'm tempted to do a short talk on migrating to
emacs after being a long time vim user. this doesn't mean vim is no
good. i'm using them interchangeably now. i can share some pain i've
gone through. and the relative benefits of the editors. hopefully some
guys can share their .emacs or .vimrc. another idea is we can talk abt
the shells we're using. bash/fish/zsh anyone?

zan

Paul Gallagher

Jul 30, 2009, 2:57:17 AM7/30/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
wed next week is good for me Jason,

these are good suggestions too. they should really help things be more predictable - and therefore easier for more people to join in.

regards,
Paul

sausheong

Jul 30, 2009, 3:51:01 AM7/30/09
to Singapore Ruby Brigade
Next Wed is good for me too, Andras, can u help to get the training
room at Yahoo for us?

On a more structured SRB, it's a good idea. I'm already the
'coordinator' for this group so I can continue to do it. I can help
out on the topics coordination as well. But the facilities is prob the
most troublesome. I've gotten Yahoo to more or less continue
sponsoring their training room for the foreseeable future. However
someone from Yahoo needs to organize for the key, locking up
afterwards etc.

glennswest

Jul 30, 2009, 4:34:48 AM7/30/09
to Singapore Ruby Brigade
I'm interested, and would love to participate, as well as to
do a talk. (Let me know if you want a simple medium or complex topic.)

Andras Kristof

Jul 30, 2009, 5:35:22 AM7/30/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I will do the coordinating from Yahoo's side.

Next Wednesday will be fine.

Meeting starts at 7:30pm. Ends around 9:00.

See you all soon.

Andras

David Chua

Jul 30, 2009, 5:37:21 AM7/30/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
Doh, Its not a Thursday?

Guess I can't make it yet again :(

Warmest regards,
David

JasonOng

Jul 30, 2009, 6:34:17 AM7/30/09
to Singapore Ruby Brigade
Ok so confirmed this coming wednesday.

Topics:
1. Rails database seeding strategies - myself
2. A rails dude Vim to Emacs transition - Zan?

To be discussed:
- Delegation of tasks to volunteers

Can those thinking of coming confirmed your attendance here so we can
have a rough count? :)

On Jul 30, 5:37 pm, David Chua <zhc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Doh, Its not a Thursday?
>
> Guess I can't make it yet again :(
>
> Warmest regards,
> David
>
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Andras Kristof <akris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I will do the coordinating from Yahoo's side.
>
> > Next Wednesday will be fine.
>
> > Meeting starts at 7:30pm. Ends around 9:00.
>
> > See you all soon.
>
> > Andras

Wenhan Zhou

Jul 30, 2009, 6:45:44 AM7/30/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

Finally! I will be up for next Wed. Just started using RoR. Quite rusty after 4 months on non rails work.

Zhou Wenhan
Co-Founder, 2359Media

Patrick Haller

Jul 30, 2009, 8:54:14 AM7/30/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 03:34:17AM -0700, JasonOng wrote:

> Ok so confirmed this coming wednesday.
>
> Topics:
> 1. Rails database seeding strategies - myself
> 2. A rails dude Vim to Emacs transition - Zan?

I'm in.

Patrick

Stephen Paul Suarez

Jul 30, 2009, 8:58:00 AM7/30/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
me in as well..

[~/]: stephen

Patrick Haller

Jul 30, 2009, 9:03:49 AM7/30/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 11:34:49PM -0700, zan wrote:

> thats a good idea. i'm tempted to do a short talk on migrating to
> emacs after being a long time vim user. this doesn't mean vim is no
> good. i'm using them interchangeably now. i can share some pain i've
> gone through. and the relative benefits of the editors. hopefully some
> guys can share their .emacs or .vimrc. another idea is we can talk abt
> the shells we're using. bash/fish/zsh anyone?

I can contribute a bit re: vim. At various times, I've thought about migrating
to emacs (changing it from chording to more mode-full); i discarded those
thoughts when scripting bindings (perl/ruby/python) became available.

Patrick

JasonOng

Jul 30, 2009, 12:27:36 PM7/30/09
to Singapore Ruby Brigade
Ok Patrick, you go tac team with Zan on emacs/vim. Hope we don't end
up having a war :)

Andras Kristof

Jul 30, 2009, 1:44:44 PM7/30/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 12:27 AM, JasonOng <velv...@gmail.com> wrote:

Ok Patrick, you go tac team with Zan on emacs/vim. Hope we don't end
up having a war :)

No way. Vim users are much more civilized than that.

:p

Andras

Alexander Arul

Jul 30, 2009, 10:11:44 PM7/30/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
A one page itinerary will be very handy for getting people to come to the meetup. Ideally one should be prepared a week before the meetup. Here's a sample I made up..

SINGAPORE RUBY BRIGADE JULY 2009 MEETUP

Hi Everyone,

The eagerly anticipated SRB July meetup is happening on this wednesday, 5 August, 7PM. As usual, it's an exciting opportunity to meet, listen to and network with the top techies in Singapore! So you're encouraged to drop in even if you don't know too much about Ruby. And it's totally free, as always.

- Presentations -

1. Rails database seeding strategies - Jason Ong

2. A rails dude Vim to Emacs transition - Zan
3. Vim over Emacs for me! - Patrick Haller
4. ?
5. ?

- Where-

Yahoo! South East Asia,
Level 8
Suntec City Tower 4,
Singapore

Please forward this to any geek friends who may benefit! Thanks!

Ohad Levy

Jul 30, 2009, 11:37:58 PM7/30/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I'll love to join, first timer too:)

Ohad

JasonOng

Jul 31, 2009, 2:04:18 AM7/31/09
to Singapore Ruby Brigade
Very nice indeed! :)

Alexander Arul

Jul 31, 2009, 2:17:53 AM7/31/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, it should be a boilerplate template containing the site url, contact emails also. Just have to plug in the topics each week and send it out :)

Alex

zan

Aug 3, 2009, 9:10:13 AM8/3/09
to Singapore Ruby Brigade
sorry guys. i cant make it to the meet up. just got diagnosed with
h1n1 today. feeling pretty awful now

On Jul 31, 2:17 pm, Alexander Arul <alexander.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, it should be a boilerplate template containing the site url, contact
> emails also. Just have to plug in the topics each week and send it out :)
>
> Alex

sausheong

Aug 3, 2009, 9:29:13 AM8/3/09
to Singapore Ruby Brigade
Hey man, that sucks :( Take care and get well soon!

Patrick Haller

Aug 3, 2009, 9:58:37 AM8/3/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 06:10:13AM -0700, zan wrote:

> sorry guys. i cant make it to the meet up. just got diagnosed with
> h1n1 today. feeling pretty awful now

That sucks. Hope you feel better soon. Do you blog or twitter, so we can
check in on how you're doing?

Patrick

David Chua

Aug 3, 2009, 10:46:32 AM8/3/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
Get well soon zan.

I've been struck with the flu 9 days ago, but haven't gotten myself tested because my GP refuses to do so.

I do have a strong feeling I got the virus as this is the longest I've gone with the flu without recovering within a few days.

Take care, drink lots of water and stay strong.

Warmest regards,
David

JasonOng

Aug 3, 2009, 12:35:37 PM8/3/09
to Singapore Ruby Brigade
Hey Zan sorry to hear that. I'm sure you're gonna be fine, just eat,
drink and rest well. Maybe we should ustream for the meetup for ya.

So I guess we have one less topic. Patrick you have anything up your
magic sleeves?

On Aug 3, 10:46 pm, David Chua <zhc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Get well soon zan.
>
> I've been struck with the flu 9 days ago, but haven't gotten myself tested
> because my GP refuses to do so.
>
> I do have a strong feeling I got the virus as this is the longest I've gone
> with the flu without recovering within a few days.
>
> Take care, drink lots of water and stay strong.
>
> Warmest regards,
> David

Patrick Haller

Aug 3, 2009, 12:54:40 PM8/3/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Aug 03, 2009 at 09:35:37AM -0700, JasonOng wrote:

> Hey Zan sorry to hear that. I'm sure you're gonna be fine, just eat,
> drink and rest well. Maybe we should ustream for the meetup for ya.
>
> So I guess we have one less topic. Patrick you have anything up your
> magic sleeves?

I can extend my talk a bit about vim and ruby integration. We can also
run a Q&A forum on editor + ruby hacking from the perspective of the DRY
(don't repeat yourself) principle.

Patrick

JasonOng

Aug 4, 2009, 3:16:16 AM8/4/09
to Singapore Ruby Brigade
Updated meetup

SINGAPORE RUBY BRIGADE JULY 2009 MEETUP

Hi Everyone,

The eagerly anticipated SRB July meetup is happening on this
wednesday, 5
August, 7PM. As usual, it's an exciting opportunity to meet, listen to
and
network with the top techies in Singapore! So you're encouraged to
drop in
even if you don't know too much about Ruby. And it's totally free, as
always.

- Presentations -

1. Rails database seeding strategies - Jason Ong
2. Vim and ruby integration - Patrick Haller
3. Q&A forum on editor + ruby hacking

- Where-

Yahoo! South East Asia,
Level 8
Suntec City Tower 4,
Singapore

Please forward this to any geek friends who may benefit! Thanks!

Tze Yang Ng

Aug 5, 2009, 5:00:48 AM8/5/09
to singap...@googlegroups.com
I know its abit last minute, i'm contributing to one more headcount :]

==
--
http://ngty77.blogspot.com

JasonOng