SilverStripe 2.4-alpha1

Roman

Nov 11, 2009, 12:05:59 PM11/11/09
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hello Developers

I downloaded and installed the SilverStripe 2.4-alpha1 release. I'm
impressed. You all did a great job, so many new features!

I just discovered that the "Site Content" in the Site-Tree now also has
editable content (defined in SiteConfig class). That's really neat,
since SilverStripe was lacking some sort of "global values" (until now I
always used a special HomePage class for this kind of things).
I hope this class can be overridden, extended for custom needs? I didn't
found any documentation on this, so my questions are:
- How can I create a custom SiteConfig?
- Sam (Minnee) was talking about restructuring the developer
documentation: Is this already part of the 2.4-alpha1 release?

Maybe we can turn this into a discussion thread regarding 2.4 alpha and
new features?

Kudos to the SilverStripe team. You did a great job once more.

Best - Roman (aka banal)

Fred Condo

Nov 11, 2009, 1:09:54 PM11/11/09
to silverst...@googlegroups.com

To anyone using blog and dataobject_manager, there are some API changes to accommodate via global search/replace:

Renamed Database class to SS_Database.
Renamed Director::currentPage() to Director::get_current_page()
Moved alteration_message() from Database to DB class

This is what I found after just a few minutes copying our company website over to a MAMP-based 2.4.0-alpha1 instance.

Nicolaas Thiemen Francken - Sunny Side Up

Nov 11, 2009, 1:14:12 PM11/11/09
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
hmmm, sounds like there are some great new features! Cant wait to try them out.

Fred Condo

Nov 11, 2009, 3:47:14 PM11/11/09
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Correction: I meant blog & event_calendar.

Simon J Welsh

Nov 11, 2009, 3:50:29 PM11/11/09
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Just a request. As you find things that have been changed since 2.3,
can you add them to http://doc.silverstripe.org/doku.php?id=upgrading:2.4.0
so that all the changes that require changes to code are in one place?
---
Simon Welsh
Admin of http://simon.geek.nz/

Who said Microsoft never created a bug-free program? The blue screen
never, ever crashes!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/brain/gimme.cgi?wid=81d520e5e

Sigurd Magnusson

Nov 13, 2009, 2:26:07 AM11/13/09
to silverst...@googlegroups.com

Matt Hardwick

Nov 13, 2009, 4:04:36 AM11/13/09
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
am I the only person that thinks that rather long URL is rather
amusing (but it's contents rather warming)?

Does anyone have any performance comparisons of MSSQL vs MySQL? With
things like WinCache and other PHP improvements in IIS - I am
beginning to wonder if Windows will become a better platform for
SilverStripe?

Sigurd Magnusson

Nov 13, 2009, 4:24:22 AM11/13/09

On 13/11/2009, at 10:04 PM, Matt Hardwick wrote:

> Does anyone have any performance comparisons of MSSQL vs MySQL? With
> things like WinCache and other PHP improvements in IIS - I am
> beginning to wonder if Windows will become a better platform for
> SilverStripe?

Volunteering? :)

Cheers,
Sig

Marcus Nyeholt

Nov 13, 2009, 6:23:36 AM11/13/09
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
It might be a topic for a different post, but is there a prescribed benchmark suite at all?

Marcus

Matt Hardwick

Nov 13, 2009, 11:55:25 AM11/13/09
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
I'd voulenteer if someone could give me some intensive processes to test with :D

Matt Bower

Nov 13, 2009, 3:06:14 PM11/13/09
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
What is the timeline goal for the stable 2.4? I have a client project that could really use the hierarchical URLs but the project timeline may not be conducive to use 2.4.

Thanks.

Matt

Morven Lewis-Everley

Nov 16, 2009, 6:34:29 AM11/16/09
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't mind knowing this as well. For similar reasons.

Mo

Sam Minnee

Nov 16, 2009, 10:07:28 PM11/16/09
to SilverStripe Development
> > What is the timeline goal for the stable 2.4? I have a client project that
> > could really use the hierarchical URLs but the project timeline may not be
> > conducive to use 2.4.

It's difficult to determine at this stage because it really depends on
how much feedback we get about problems that people run into upgrading
to 2.4. We'll post back when we have more info.

Chango

Nov 26, 2009, 1:08:43 AM11/26/09
to SilverStripe Development
Hi Guys,

Just ran in to a couple of things while installing the alpha version
on a site:

1. GoogleSitemap.php has two references to the old class SSDateTime
(Lines 65 and 67)
2. Within the CMS Interface, when editing any any page click on Google
Sitemap Tab, the (?) next to the text "Manually specify a Google
Sitemaps priority for this page" links to a 404 on the Google
Webmaster Tools site.

Other than that, so far things looks good. I actually put this new
install on an account on MediaTemple. I was nervous about this because
of threads etc I had read about performance issues with MediaTemple
and SS caching, but I followed the advice of adding a silverstripe-
cache directory in the root folder and so far so good. My test site is
much smaller than some of the other SS sites I have running but it
does seem to be loading somewhat faster. Great work!

Thanks,
Chango

Chango

Nov 26, 2009, 1:44:35 AM11/26/09
to SilverStripe Development
Okay, update to email just previous...two things the class name to
update it is SS_Datetime not SS_DateTime note the lower case 't' in
time.

Maybe this needs to be updated the link <http://doc.silverstripe.org/
doku.php?id=upgrading:2.4.0> as it shows SSDatetime with an uppercase
'T'.

Thanks,
Chango

Tim303software

Dec 29, 2009, 4:35:15 PM12/29/09
to SilverStripe Development
Re googlesitemaps current build, I noticed choosing the option of "Not
Indexed' did not seem to persist when reloading a page and editing
something else on it.

It saves to the database correctly when first changed, but then saves
incorrectly as null if one reloads the page in the admin interface and
then saves and publishes again. The problem is that the DropdownField
selected value is incorrectly set to "Auto-set based on page depth" (0
or null) when generating the Google Sitemap tab, so reloading and
saving the page changes this value without user intervention.

I *fixed* this when I noticed the code in the function getPriority()
returns 0 when it reads a -1 from the database. When I removed this
conditional and let it return a -1, it behaves correctly and the value
of the dropdown is set to what is stored in the db and hence does not
change without user intervention.

I am unsure however, if this 'bug' was intentional, and by fixing this
problem I may have broken something else that counted on that
conditional returning 0 when the db expects -1. Does that conditional
serve some other purpose? If not, I suggest committing this to the
svn tree.

--tim

in GoogleSitemapDecorator.php

function getPriority() {
if(!$this->owner->getField('Priority')) {
$parentStack = $this->owner->parentStack();
$numParents = is_array($parentStack) ? count($parentStack) - 1: 0;
return max(0.1, 1.0 - ($numParents / 10));
} elseif($this->owner->getField('Priority') == -1) {
return 0;
} else {
return $this->owner->getField('Priority');
}
}

was changed to

function getPriority() {
if(!$this->owner->getField('Priority')) {
$parentStack = $this->owner->parentStack();
$numParents = is_array($parentStack) ? count($parentStack) - 1: 0;
return max(0.1, 1.0 - ($numParents / 10));
} else {
return $this->owner->getField('Priority');

Ingo Schommer

Dec 29, 2009, 4:46:52 PM12/29/09
to silverst...@googlegroups.com
Hey Tim,

Thanks for looking into this - its best to file this a ticket
on open.silverstripe.org (make sure to set the correct
component for the googlesitemaps module).

Cheers
Ingo

> --

-------
Ingo Schommer | Senior Developer
SilverStripe
http://silverstripe.com

Phone: +64 4 978 7330 ext 42
Skype: chillu23

Tama

Jan 7, 2010, 3:36:09 PM1/7/10
to SilverStripe Development
Morning Everyone

Hopefully this is the right place to post this request. I've just
downloaded 2.4-alpha from:http://silverstripe.org/silverstripe-2-4-
alpha-release-brings-hierachical-urls-sql-server-support-and-much-
more/

Running /install.php and putting in the normal options delivers this
message:

Installing SilverStripe...

I am now running through the installation steps (this should take
about 30 seconds)

If you receive a fatal error, refresh this page to continue the
installation
Warning: unlink(mysite/_config.php) [function.unlink]: Permission
denied in /var/www/dev01/install.php on line 650
# Creating 'mysite/_config.php'...
# Creating /var/www/dev01/mysite/_config.php
# Creating '.htaccess' file...
# Creating /var/www/dev01/.htaccess

Notice: Undefined index: GoogleSitemapDecorator in /var/www/dev01/
sapphire/core/ManifestBuilder.php on line 421

Warning: There are two files both containing the same class: '/var/www/
dev01/googlesitemaps/code/GoogleSitemap.php' and ''. This might mean
that the wrong code is being used. in /var/www/dev01/sapphire/core/
ManifestBuilder.php on line 423
# Building database schema...

Fatal error: Class 'SS_Database' not found in /var/www/dev01/sapphire/
core/model/MySQLDatabase.php on line 10

I've had a search on the SS forums and in this discussion group but
can't find any reference to these errors. I also had a look for the
latest build of 2.4 alpha but wasn't sure where to find it. I would of
thought that others would have run into the same problem. The system
is CentOS, Apache, MySQL, PHP5 - database is on a separate server to
web.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers
Tama

Tama Easton

Jan 7, 2010, 4:53:30 PM1/7/10
to SilverStripe Development
Progress - I've found the (hopefully right) branch here:
http://svn.silverstripe.com/open/phpinstaller/branches/2.4/ and used
SubVersion to pull through the latest code. It installed fine and the
front end seems to work fine.

Trying to go to /admin/ generates this error though:

Fatal error: Class 'DOMDocument' not found in /var/www/dev01/sapphire/
integration/HTMLValue.php on line 20

Will have a dig around - getting there!

Tama

Sam Minnee

Jan 7, 2010, 5:01:43 PM1/7/10
to SilverStripe Development
> Fatal error: Class 'DOMDocument' not found in /var/www/dev01/sapphire/
> integration/HTMLValue.php on line 20

DOMDocument is a PHP built-in class. Which version of PHP are you
running on?

Tama Easton

Jan 7, 2010, 5:42:21 PM1/7/10
to SilverStripe Development
Hi Sam

I'm running 5.2.11 - just a bog standard CentOS build. I added libxml2-
devel (yum install libxml2-devel) and restarted httpd but that didn't
help.

Ah ha! I've just pulled up good ole phpinfo and noted "--disable-dom"
in the Configure Command, I'm guessing that's not helping? Will try
and enable and see what happens.

Cheers
Tama

Tama Easton

Jan 7, 2010, 6:48:31 PM1/7/10
to SilverStripe Development
Sorted:

yum install php-xml
service httpd restart

Which is really good, I was worried I'd have to rebuild PHP