Sad news about George Hodges

Phil Holland

Aug 7, 2010, 12:14:31 PM8/7/10
to sho...@googlegroups.com
I am sadly announcing the death of George Hodges, who died on 3 August
after a short illness. He introduced Shogi to Europe in the 1970's,
running The Shogi Association (TSA) and published The Shogi Magazine in
the 1970's and 1980's. His funeral will be in Bedford on 16 August, and
I will be attending on behalf of the BSF.

If you have any messages of condolence you would like to send, his widow
is monitoring his email address, george...@talk21.com.

He will be greatly missed by everyone who knew him.

..........Phil Holland
Phil Holland
94 Green Drift, Royston, Herts SG8 5BT, UK
mobile: +44-(0)7714-279085
email : ph...@hollandnumerics.demon.co.uk

lkau...@comcast.net

Aug 7, 2010, 1:50:09 PM8/7/10
to sho...@googlegroups.com

     Very sad news. George was responsible for bringing shogi to the attention of the Western world; I for one surely would never have taken it up without his magazine. He will be long remembered.

     Larry Kaufman

angel...@comcast.net

Aug 7, 2010, 3:07:12 PM8/7/10
to sho...@googlegroups.com
Very sad news... When I first became interested in Shogi in the later 80's, I had written to him several times, was very impressed with his Shogi Magazines and equipment. He was always very pleasant, helpful, and eager to assist in spreading shogi.  Quite the gentleman, and will be missed.

Ang

DARREN PAULL

Aug 8, 2010, 3:11:39 AM8/8/10
to sho...@googlegroups.com
That's very sad news!

I doubt I would ever have got passed square one ,if it wasn't for George and his untiring efforts
to introduce Shogi to the western world.

He will be sadly missed.

Darren Paull