Community Garden

1 view

Teresa Gallagher

Jan 7, 2010, 11:17:54 AM1/7/10
to shel...@googlegroups.com

Here’s a quick run down on the Community Garden meeting this morning with the Mayor. We had a big turnout – various farmers, residents interested in having a community garden, Linda Hooper, Sheri and myself.

There was a consensus that the Klapik Farm would be the best place to start.  The Mayor suggested going in off of Longview at the end of the cul-de-sac and keeping open the option of adding a direct entrance off of the Long Hill Road.  He also recommended sending a letter to the neighbors alerting them to this.  He wanted Conservation’s OK first (I said you already discussed and recommended Klapik) and then he wants to do an 8-24 to P&Z and Wetlands, and get BOA’s blessing.

The Mayor is also interested in what he called a ‘botanical garden’ at the white house, although I think he meant more of an “Adopt a Spot” for beautification of the corner, and that should be added to the mix of potential uses there when working out any overall plan for the corner.

For water, the plan to start with would be containers such as drums or totes which the fire department would fill (offered by the Mayor). At a later date, if a water line is needed, that could be added.

We would be crossing the Iroquois pipeline, so a notification would be required to them.

The Mayor will ask BOA to formalize the Garden Committee.

We are meeting again on Jan 25 at Plumb Library, 9:00 am. At that meeting we will be working on a layout for the gardens that would be submitted as part of the 8-24.

Teresa Gallagher

Conservation Agent

City of Shelton

54 Hill Street, Shelton, CT

(203) 924-1555 x315

conser...@cityofshelton.org

www.sheltonconservation.org

Bill Dyer

Jan 10, 2010, 9:39:09 PM1/10/10
to shel...@googlegroups.com
I urge you to include a deer fence and water in any plan. A nominal charge should be cover the cost of both.