Selenium support for webtop based applications

priya

Aug 18, 2010, 3:19:18 AM8/18/10
to Selenium Users
Does Selenium support automation for webtop based applications.?

Bob McConnell

Aug 18, 2010, 8:57:51 AM8/18/10
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
From: priya

> Does Selenium support automation for webtop based applications.?

You will need to be a little more specific. Both 'automation' and
'webtop' have too many possible definitions to determine what you are
asking for.

Bob McConnell

priya

Aug 20, 2010, 2:14:34 AM8/20/10
to Selenium Users

By Automation I mean to ask as we automate testcases for web-based
applications,
smilarly if we want to record and replay test cases for webtop based
applications is that
feasible with the selenium as selenium doesn't supports desktop based
applications.

If there are any other specific configurations or any other
specification that are expected by you
kindly let me know.

Thanks.

On Aug 18, 5:57 pm, "Bob McConnell" <r...@CBORD.com> wrote:
> From: priya
>
> > Does Selenium support automation forwebtopbased applications.?

Karthik

Aug 20, 2010, 2:18:52 AM8/20/10
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Hi Priya,

Since a webtop application is also a web application I would say it might be automated by Selenium (provided you use the right language for the framework) based on the development platform.

Why don't you try recording a scenario with IDE (if your webtop app supports firefox browser) and let us know if it works.

Regards, Karthik
--------
"Some birds aren't meant to be caged, their feathers are just too bright"

Message has been deleted

priya

Aug 20, 2010, 4:20:33 AM8/20/10
to Selenium Users
Hi,

Thanks Kartik.

I did tried to record a testcase with Selenium on the following URL
which is a webtop based application. :

http://www.openlaszlo.org/lps4.2/demos/calendar/calendar.lzx

Shall we conclude from this that webtop applications are not being
supported by Selenium
or is there any way out by any enhnacements or any possible way to do
that ...??

Thanks
> > selenium-user...@googlegroups.com<selenium-users%2Bunsubscribe@go­oglegroups.com>
> > .
> > For more options, visit this group at
> >http://groups.google.com/group/selenium-users?hl=en.- Hide quoted text -

Bob McConnell

Aug 20, 2010, 9:55:35 AM8/20/10
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
From: priya

> By Automation I mean to ask as we automate testcases for web-based
> applications,
> smilarly if we want to record and replay test cases for webtop based
> applications is that
> feasible with the selenium as selenium doesn't supports desktop based
> applications.
>
> If there are any other specific configurations or any other
> specification that are expected by you
> kindly let me know.
>

> On Aug 18, 5:57 pm, "Bob McConnell" <r...@CBORD.com> wrote:
>> From: priya
>>
>> > Does Selenium support automation forwebtopbased applications.?
>>
>> You will need to be a little more specific. Both 'automation' and
>> 'webtop' have too many possible definitions to determine what you are
>> asking for.

Well, I think it boils down to this. If your "webtop"[1] application runs in a standard, off the shelf browser with no plug-in required, then you can almost certainly test it with Selenium. However, you may need to write some custom handlers for any esoteric Javascript functions that you use. If your application requires a plug-in to process non-standard content, like Flash, pdf, etc. then you can only test it if there is an extension to Selenium available that interfaces with that particular content. Even then, there are limitations to most of those extensions on which subset of features they can address.

In the end, you will have to try it out, and possibly ask more specific questions here, to see if it can do what you need.

Bob McConnell

[1] This word is not in any of my dictionaries, nor have I seen it in common use. So it basically is meaningless to me. I don't have any idea what it means to you.