Selenium 2.0 beta 1 released

Simon Stewart

Dec 21, 2010, 9:02:51 PM12/21/10
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to let you know that the Selenium 2.0b1 has just
been released. So, what does this first beta bring you?

* A promise of relatively stable APIs
* Including (for firefox only right now) handling of alerts
* A brand new IE driver.
* Better selenium emulation when using webdriver
* Bug fixes in the selenium server
* Ubiquitous use of Sizzle for emulating CSS selectors
* Better emulation of webdriver's API when delegating to Selenium
* The advanced user interactions API
* An update to the AndroidDriver's Android app.

Known issues:

* The selenium 1.x emulation using IE is a little flaky
* The IE driver is brand new. Let us know of issues!
* The ChromeDriver is not as capable as the others
* Anything in our bug list[1]

You can find it here:

http://code.google.com/p/selenium/downloads/list

and the javadocs here:

http://selenium.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/docs/api/java/index.html

I expect the beta to be uploaded to maven some time in the next few
days. The ruby, python and C# bindings should also be refreshed soon
too.

When will the beta end?

When we've implemented the alerts and prompts API in all supported
browsers. We expect there to be some flex in some APIs (removing
deprecated methods, and within the advanced user interactions API) but
what you have here is basically what you're going to get when we hit
2.0 final :) I have no idea how long this will take, but if you're
interested in helping out, let us know!

How to try it out

If you're currently using Selenium RC (the 1.x APIs) and want to try
out the new APIs without rewriting your tests, consider creating your
Selenium instance like so:

String baseUrl = "http://www.google.com";
WebDriver driver = new FirefoxDriver();
Selenium selenium = new WebDriverBackedSelenium(
driver, baseUrl);
selenium.start();

You can access the underlying webdriver instance like so:

WebDriver driver =
((WebDriverBackedSelenium) selenium).getUnderlyingDriver();

This allows you to migrate piecemeal to the new APIs without rewriting
everything. Although we've done our best to provide really great
support for the 1.x APIs this way, we know it's not perfect. Let us
know if you run into any bumps along the way! [1]

Thanks are due to all the committers who have worked so hard to get
this code into shape. We've come a long way since we merged the
selenium and webdriver projects. It's been a fantastic journey so far.
Thanks are also due to all the people who have taken the time to file
bugs, ask for features and participated on the mailing lists. Thank
you to you too, for going out and trying this new beta of Selenium 2.
You rock. :)

Regards,

Simon

[1] http://code.google.com/p/selenium/issues/list

Message has been deleted

Binken

Dec 21, 2010, 9:08:38 PM12/21/10
to seleniu...@googlegroups.com
Good news! Hope the C# one will be available soon! Expecting that very much!

Jim Evans

Dec 22, 2010, 8:33:40 AM12/22/10
to Selenium Users
I'm going to piggyback off of Simon's post here to say that the
Selenium 2.0b1 .NET bindings are now available.

Some things to note about the .NET bindings in particular:

* The WebDriverBackedSelenium class has not been updated much, so
there will be ongoing fixes to it.
* The .NET bindings are much closer in functionality to the Java
bindings, including JavaScript alert handling for Firefox.
* There is experimental support in the .NET bindings for running
multiple InternetExplorerDrivers concurrently.

I'll echo Simon's call to try out the new beta, and let us know where
you find issues!

Regards,
--Jim

Mohit157

Jan 5, 2011, 2:16:55 AM1/5/11
to Selenium Users
HI Simon,

Thanks for the notes on Selenium 2.0b1.

I think I have come across a bug on IE with this new beta release
which use to work perfectly fine on selenium 2.0a5 release.

I am using Selenium-RC with ruby on Rspec framework for more than 2
years now.

On IE7, Now with beta version whenever selenium is trying to get_text
of an element which has empty text like table column, empty label etc
it throws an error.

This is working fine on Firefox 3.6 but fails to work on IE

Example of one of the failure:
selenium.get_text("//table@id='tblLists'//td/a.='#{title}'/../../
td2").should eql("")
is not working on Selenium 2.0b1 but was working fine on Selenium
2.0a5

It throws error like:
Command execution failure. Please search the forum at http://clearspace.openqa.org
for error details from the log window. The error message is:
'undefined' is null or not an object

I hope this information is of any help to you and you can tell me any
work around for the same.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Mohit