SpringerLink ebook downloader

Bryan Bishop

Jan 16, 2013, 5:11:02 PM1/16/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop
Here's another book downloader:

https://github.com/milianw/springer_download
git clone git://github.com/milianw/springer_download.git

Explanation:

http://milianw.de/code-snippets/take-2-download-script-for-springerlinkcom-ebooks

"""
Seems like quite some people are interested in my bash script for
downloading ebooks from http://springerlink.com.

That script has some quirks, the greatest of all that it was written
in bash which makes it kind of hard to implement new features. And one
which was requested was support for books which span multiple pages on
SpringerLink.

So here I present springer_download.py - a Python rewrite which should
handle all the old links and some more. This is the very first program
I’ve written in Python. And since it has to run on the Zedat servers
it’s limited to Python 2.4.x without any fancy shmancy additions (a
pity, since I’d love to use urlgrabber or pycurl).

the script

You can find the sources on GitHub: http://milianw.github.com/springer_download/

I plan to put all my future code snippets in public repositories on
GitHub. That way you can easily track changes and stay up to date.
GitHub also has a nice “download” feature which you can use to get the
current version. You can find my profile and my repositories at
http://github.com/milianw

Note: This script is intended to be run under Linux or other *nix’es
which fulfill the requirements (Python 2.4.x, iconv and pdftk).
Windows is not supported.

TODO

introduce multithreading for faster / simultaneous downloads
add speed to progressbar
use progressbar in source-downloader
use one git-repo per project (makes links work properly)
"""

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507