Fwd: [hackerspaces] memorial hackathons for Aaron Swartz

Bryan Bishop

Jan 15, 2013, 4:52:11 AM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop, Yan Zhu, diybio
From: Yan Zhu <zy...@mit.edu>
Date: Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 3:49 AM
Subject: [hackerspaces] memorial hackathons for Aaron Swartz
To: dis...@lists.hackerspaces.org

Hey all, I'm coordinating a series of memorial hackathons for Aaron
Swartz. Currently there's going to be one at Noisebridge in SF on Jan.
26 (ish) and another somewhere in Boston, but the more the better. The
idea is to bring together people at hackerspaces around the world to
work on projects that in some way continue the work that Aaron did to
facilitate the sharing of human knowledge, social/political justice,
and free culture.

If you're interested in organizing one at your local hackerspace, let
me know and I'll add you to the organizers list.

Cheers,
Yan

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
1 512 203 0507

Anjan Saha

Jan 15, 2013, 8:49:44 AM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop, Yan Zhu, diybio
I will be more than interested. Please add me for all future activities.

Cheers!
Anjan

Ed Summers

Jan 15, 2013, 9:21:41 AM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested in doing something in the DC area in coordination with this.

//Ed

Anand Chitipothu

Jan 15, 2013, 9:33:17 AM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop, Yan Zhu, diybio
We are planning to conduct a hacknight in Bangalore, India in memory of Aaron Swartz this Saturday (ish).

Do you have any suggestions for good projects to work on?

Anand

Richard Graves

Jan 15, 2013, 10:35:29 AM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com
Some of us who worked with Aaron (and his partner Taren) on the social/political justice front are figuring out how to launch some of the last projects he had been supporting. I had been helping with a project, Jhatkaa!, which was a concept for a new list organization like DemandProgress that Aaron had worked on just last wednesday, to fundamentally change India. They need a lot of help with mobile/online tech. I am in DC, I would love to make this happen.

God, I just talked to him last week.

-Richard
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to science-liberation-front+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Bryce Lynch

Jan 15, 2013, 10:52:08 AM1/15/13

Ping HacDC (http://hacdc.org/) about this.

--
The Doctor [412/724/301/703] [ZS|Media]
https://drwho.virtadpt.net/

Ed Summers

Jan 15, 2013, 11:03:04 AM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com
Is HacDC already working on organizing something, or are you
suggesting I work with them to start it?

Bryce Lynch

Jan 15, 2013, 11:56:18 AM1/15/13
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Ed Summers <e...@pobox.com> wrote:
Is HacDC already working on organizing something, or are you
suggesting I work with them to start it?

I am suggesting that you ask around their public mailing list to see if there is interest.  I don't have time to do so right now - my day job went nonlinear yesterday morning - but someone there might.

Bryan Bishop

Jan 15, 2013, 11:57:24 AM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop, Yan Zhu, diybio
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 3:52 AM, Bryan Bishop quoted:
> Hey all, I'm coordinating a series of memorial hackathons for Aaron
> Swartz. Currently there's going to be one at Noisebridge in SF on Jan.

Spreadsheet listing out some hackathons:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ai2JAMm86EJbdFg1TW5tenNJSUt3X2dVVmQ3M08xSlE#gid=0

Bryan Bishop

Jan 15, 2013, 11:58:40 AM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 9:35 AM, Richard Graves
<richard...@gmail.com> wrote:
> God, I just talked to him last week.

Same here, I emailed him on my birthday. I think this hits so close to
home because we all knew him to some extent.

Volkan Unsal

Jan 15, 2013, 11:58:55 AM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop, Yan Zhu, diybio
I'm on board form NYC. I'm not affiliated with a hackerspace yet, but that may change shortly. If anyone else in NYC wants to do this with me, please let me know.

Ed Summers

Jan 15, 2013, 11:59:23 AM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop
Is it worthwhile us picking a day for these to happen at the same time?

David Fisher

Jan 15, 2013, 12:03:04 PM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested. Trying to get some people together in Columbus, Ohio for one as well.

Ed Summers

Jan 15, 2013, 12:04:54 PM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop, Yan Zhu, diybio
Any chance of making this writeable by others? Or do we need a Wiki page?

Bryan Bishop

Jan 15, 2013, 12:07:29 PM1/15/13
to Ed Summers, Bryan Bishop, science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Yan Zhu, diybio, Hackerspaces General Discussion List
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:04 AM, Ed Summers <e...@pobox.com> wrote:
> Any chance of making this writeable by others? Or do we need a Wiki page?

Wow, it's not editable? Well, let's use the hackerspaces.org wiki?

http://hackerspaces.org/wiki/Wiki/Hackathons

.. or start another Google Doc that is editable.

Yan Zhu

Jan 15, 2013, 12:00:11 PM1/15/13
to Volkan Unsal, science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop, diybio
I pinged con...@nycresistor.org, will add you to that email. Thanks!
--
Yan Zhu
Department of Physics

Yan Zhu

Jan 15, 2013, 12:10:54 PM1/15/13
to Bryan Bishop, Ed Summers, science-libe...@googlegroups.com, diybio, Hackerspaces General Discussion List
Yeah, that particular google doc was originally supposed to be for personal use, but since it seems like other people want to edit it, I'll make it editable.

-Yan

Ed Summers

Jan 15, 2013, 12:15:06 PM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone know what day Aaron's court case was set to start? I heard
it was in two weeks? Perhaps it would interesting to see if we could
set a time for these hackathons to coincide with that date? Or perhaps
that's in bad taste, or asking for too much coordination?

//Ed

Jonathan Dahan

Jan 15, 2013, 12:27:06 PM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop, Yan Zhu, diybio
Just send an email out to alphaonelabs to see if theres enough interest.

Bryan Bishop

Jan 15, 2013, 12:28:50 PM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, diybio, Hackerspaces General Discussion List
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 11:15 AM, Ed Summers <e...@pobox.com> wrote:
> Does anyone know what day Aaron's court case was set to start? I heard
> it was in two weeks? Perhaps it would interesting to see if we could
> set a time for these hackathons to coincide with that date? Or perhaps
> that's in bad taste, or asking for too much coordination?

I like that idea. But if that can't be coordinated, maybe it should
just be two pushes, so that the second one on the right date can have
more results for people to play with. Not sure.

Bryce Lynch

Jan 15, 2013, 12:30:32 PM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com
HacDC's been pinged.

Ed Summers

Jan 15, 2013, 12:38:59 PM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com
On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 12:30:32 PM UTC-5, Bryce Lynch wrote:
HacDC's been pinged.

Heh, I guess we were doing that at he same time :-)

Moreno Barros

Jan 15, 2013, 12:43:57 PM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop, Yan Zhu, diybio
Anyone from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil interested?

Ima a librarian, we can work the space, databases out.

let me know

Piotr Migdal

Jan 15, 2013, 12:46:35 PM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop, Yan Zhu, diybio
Anything happening in Barcelona?
Or at least - any non-local hackathon?
I have a bunch of ideas how to make science more open; and I would love to join!

And BTW, a text on open science I wrote with a friend:
http://offtopicarium.wikidot.com/v1:open-science-2-0
Beneath, there is a call for people interested in "Hacking Science" - people wanting to brainstorm and develop solutions for bottom-up science, collaboration, crowdsourcing etc.

IMHO liberating the papers now is only the first step.
More importantly, is making something like GitHub for science - not only making raw version, code, figures & data open, but actually inviting people to contribute.

Regards,
Piotr

Bryce Lynch

Jan 15, 2013, 12:51:33 PM1/15/13
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:38 PM, Ed Summers <e...@pobox.com> wrote:
Heh, I guess we were doing that at he same time :-)

Semaphores... who needs 'em?  ;)

Bryce Lynch

Jan 15, 2013, 12:53:02 PM1/15/13
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Piotr Migdal <pmi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Anything happening in Barcelona?
Or at least - any non-local hackathon?

Abhinav S

Jan 15, 2013, 1:18:50 PM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop, Yan Zhu, diybio
I'm in Bangalore, I'd join in. Please keep me posted with any plans.

Dmitriy Likhten

Jan 15, 2013, 1:18:58 PM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, diybio
In NYC too. Let me know if you got one going on a weekend. Regarding space, I got none.

rob alarcon

Jan 15, 2013, 1:27:55 PM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop, Yan Zhu, diybio

what about a worldwide commute hackaton?

rob alarcon

Jan 15, 2013, 1:28:51 PM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop, Yan Zhu, diybio
what about a worlwide hackaton ?

Bryan Bishop

Jan 15, 2013, 1:28:56 PM1/15/13
to rob alarcon, Bryan Bishop, science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Yan Zhu, diybio
On Tue, Jan 15, 2013 at 12:27 PM, rob alarcon <rob.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
what about a worldwide commute hackaton?

Already happening... there are a bunch of project ideas being thrown around:

Shuvankar Mukherjee

Jan 15, 2013, 8:46:53 PM1/15/13
to science-libe...@googlegroups.com, Bryan Bishop, Yan Zhu, diybio
Count me In!