Krikalev Sets Time-in-Space Record

Jacques van Oene

Aug 17, 2005, 10:18:58 AM8/17/05
Krikalev Sets Time-in-Space Record

Expedition 11 Commander Sergei Krikalev became the human with the most
cumulative time in space early today. At 1:44 a.m. EDT he passed the record
of 748 days held by Sergei Avdeyev.

In ISS Mission Control Houston, spacecraft communicator Ken Ham called
Krikalev to congratulate him.

"Fly on, Sergei," Ham said.

Mission Control Moscow also saluted Krikalev's achievement, and Krikalev
joked in Russian, "You'll have to congratulate me every day from now on."

Krikalev spent his more than two years in space beginning in November 1988
with the start of his first long-duration flight to the Soviet space station
Mir. Krikalev did back-to-back increments on his next Mir flight starting in
May 1991 and returning to Earth in March 1992. While he was in orbit, the
Soviet Union disintegrated and Mir became a Russian space station.

He became the first Russian to fly a Shuttle mission on STS-60 in February
1994. His second Shuttle flight took the Unity node to the International
Space Station on STS-88 in December 1998. He was a member of the Station's
Expedition 1 crew, launching in October 2000 and returning to Earth in March
2001. He launched as commander of Expedition 11 last April 14.

--
--------------

Jacques :-)

www.spacepatches.info

Jim Oberg

Aug 17, 2005, 12:36:36 PM8/17/05

Krikalev BROKE the old record.

He does not SET a new record until
he exceeds the old one by 10%.

Them's the RULES.

Ed Kyle

Aug 17, 2005, 10:09:53 PM8/17/05

Interesting. Why do they have this "hysteresis"?
If he returned before passing the record by 10%,
what would happen? An asterisk somewhere?

Are these the rules of the same body that would
not, strictly speaking, have been able to
acknowledge Gagarin as the first man to orbit
the earth (because of his parachute descent
outside his capsule)? If so, it would seem that
the media and the general public don't pay such
"by the book" rulings much attention.

- Ed Kyle

John Doe

Aug 17, 2005, 10:38:14 PM8/17/05
I wonder if Krikalev is disapointed in this mission. At the time he
asked/fought/decided to accept this mission, the Shuttle had been
scheduled to be flying in march I think (or even earlier depending on
when Krikalev got that job) and his mission would have included many
more activities, including some truss structure additions and possibly
commanding a crew of 3 for part of the mission.

But as it stands, his whole mission will be more or less caretaker, and
hiw only high point might be installing a new elektron unit at the end
of his mission.

Peter Stickney

Aug 17, 2005, 11:51:47 PM8/17/05
Ed Kyle wrote:

Well, the FAI Rules are quite specific that the crew has to land with
their aircraft.
Of course, if you're going to claim credit for 1 orbit, you've also
got to complete that orbit - Vostok I didn't.
(It's not that it couldn't have - but they didn't.)

--
Pete Stickney
Java Man knew nothing about coffee.

Pat Flannery

Aug 18, 2005, 12:22:56 AM8/18/05

Peter Stickney wrote:

>Of course, if you're going to claim credit for 1 orbit, you've also
>got to complete that orbit - Vostok I didn't.
>(It's not that it couldn't have - but they didn't.)

And it also violated the rules in that the pilot left the spacecraft
prior to landing, as they fessed up to around....what was it? Fifteen to
twenty years later?

Pat

test...@aol.com

Aug 18, 2005, 8:23:39 AM8/18/05

> Ed Kyle wrote:
> > Jim Oberg wrote:
> >> Krikalev BROKE the old record.
> >>
> >> He does not SET a new record until
> >> he exceeds the old one by 10%.
> >>
> >> Them's the RULES.
> >
> > Interesting.

/delurk. Hallo.

And interesting how the Russians were often careful about doing just
enough (by only a few days) to set a new record on their long-duration
flights. See following info amended (to update Krikalev) from
http://www.astronautix.com/articles/aststics.htm

# Krikalyov - 748+ days - 6 flights
# Avdeyev - 747.6 days - 3 flights
# Polyakov - 678.7 days - 2 flights
# Solovyov - 651.0 days - 5 flights
# Kaleri - 609.9 days - 4 flights
# Afanasyev - 555.8 days - 4 flights
# Usachyov - 552.9 days - 4 flights
# Manarov - 541.0 days - 2 flights
# Viktorenko - 489.1 days - 4 flights
# Budarin - 444.1 days - 3 flights

Only Afanasyev, Usachyov and Solovyov (and, so far, Krikalev) don't fit
the +10% pattern. Avdeyev did 10% plus just 1 day more than Polyakov,
for instance, so if Adeyev had been brought down 2 days earlier, after
745 days, then Krikalev would now have set the record, as he has done
10% more than Polyakov.

By the time he lands on Oct 7th, Krikalev will have done a further 51
days in space - nearly two weeks longer than John Young's entire career
- and his total of 799 days will still be short of "setting" a new
record, by the rules, by more than three weeks!

This 10%+ rule applies in aviation and land speed records (but not, for
instance, in athletics and cricket) and also for "The Internet2 Land
Speed Record (I2-LSR) competition for the highest-bandwidth, end-to-end
networks [, which] is an open and ongoing contest" where "# A winning
entry must exceed the previous winning entry by at least 10%."
http://lsr.internet2.edu/

You can see how this rule arose in the early days of measuring flights
and road vehicle speeds, where jiggery-pokery (or simple inaccuracy)
might be suspected if people were allowed to "set" a new record just 1
mph above the previous one, or an altitude record just 10 feet higher,
&c. But it now seems rather bizarre that someone has to spend a further
10 weeks in space - longer than all 24 flights of the Mercury, Gemini,
Vostok and Voskhod projects put together - to set a new record, and
that the man who has been in space the longest - by 50 days - will not
actually hold the record for it.

> Peter Stickney wrote:
> Of course, if you're going to claim credit for 1 orbit, you've also
> got to complete that orbit - Vostok I didn't.
> (It's not that it couldn't have - but they didn't.)

Yes, Gherman Titov - whom I met in his flat 1998 while researching a
project - was the first person to make a complete orbit (and, at 25,
is/was still the youngest ever in space) in the pross of spending a day
in space. Gagarin went _into_ orbit and could have stayed there much
longer but then decelerated out of it (and landed) before crossing his
start line.

--
Nicholas Waller
lurking again.

Jim Oberg

Aug 18, 2005, 10:13:12 AM8/18/05
I used to make a big deal about this but then realized that in fact
Gagarin HAD completed a full circuit of Earth
IN INERTIAL SPACE.

It shouldn't be held against him that the goalpost was
receding from him as he chased it.

In the old, OLD days, one 'orbit' was a complete
circuit in inertial space and one 'revolution' was a
complete circuit in geocentric (rotating) coordinates,
that is, crossing the same longitude again.

"Peter Stickney" <p-sti...@adelphia.net> wrote