An old railway sleeper found on Mars?

1 view

Neil Gerace

Dec 2, 2008, 6:21:52 AM12/2/08

BradGuth

Dec 2, 2008, 7:26:08 AM12/2/08
On Dec 2, 3:21 am, Neil Gerace <grassyn...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/opportunity/20040524a/si...

Good one, looking kind of "old railway sleeper" artificial. (Mars had
trees to make rail ties?)

btw, what's the little white thing in the upper left frame?

~ BG

Alan Erskine

Dec 2, 2008, 5:31:19 PM12/2/08
"Neil Gerace" <grass...@iinet.net.au> wrote in message
> http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/opportunity/20040524a/site_B115_navcam_180_cyl_L-B118R1.jpg

OK, so what's the caption to the image?

BradGuth

Dec 2, 2008, 7:51:52 PM12/2/08
On Dec 2, 2:31 pm, "Alan Erskine" <alan.ersk...@bigpond.com> wrote:
> "Neil Gerace" <grassyn...@iinet.net.au> wrote in message

> >http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/opportunity/20040524a/si...

> OK, so what's the caption to the image?

Mars Train Is Running Late

or

Last Mars Rail Ends Here

~ BG

BradGuth

Dec 2, 2008, 8:07:31 PM12/2/08

They ran directly over the top of it, so it's not such a large rail
sleeper/tie as you'd think.

However, small Mars folks shouldn't have needed much bigger than
quarter-scale.

~ BG

BradGuth

Dec 3, 2008, 6:14:02 AM12/3/08

How old are these frames that made up the composite image?

~ BG

Neil Gerace

Dec 4, 2008, 8:01:42 AM12/4/08
I only got the link, I don't know whereabouts on the Mars Rovers site one will find the picture.

Neil Gerace

Dec 4, 2008, 8:04:05 AM12/4/08
Neil Gerace wrote:

> I only got the link, I don't know whereabouts on the Mars Rovers site
> one will find the picture.

PS:

http://www.alienexistence.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=2714.0

An answer

BradGuth

Dec 4, 2008, 8:32:21 AM12/4/08

Opportunity / Sol 115, May 25, 2004
http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/opportunity_n115.html

Makes this plank of Mars wood from a fairly old archived image kind of
weird. Wonder why it was intentionally withheld for so many years.
Apparently the faith-based rusemasters that are about to lose their
jobs, are starting to uncontrollably sweat.

Keeping our public media focus on Mars instead of Venus is clearly
their priority number one.

~ BG

BradGuth

Dec 8, 2008, 10:42:14 AM12/8/08
On Dec 2, 3:21 am, Neil Gerace <grassyn...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/opportunity/20040524a/si...

Seems rather odd how this topic has been so media ignored.

Here’s a perfectly good reason for our spendy and recently delayed MSL
to proceed: There’s an old railway sleeper found on Mars. At least
it’s by far a whole lot more interesting than anything else
discovered.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/press/opportunity/20040524a/site_B115_navcam_180_cyl_L-B118R1.jpg

The above image is what makes this nifty plank or dimensional board
of petrified Mars wood, as rather clearly depicted from a fairly old
archived image, seem kind of out of this world weird. Wonder why it
was intentionally withheld by JPL, and otherwise having been
intentionally excluded for so many years, as perhaps similar to the
weird indications of Mars having an underground access plate, hatch or
grave marker.

http://marsrovers.jpl.nasa.gov/gallery/all/1/p/758/1P195468289EFF65C3P2365L7M1.HTML

Apparently the faith-based rusemasters that are about to lose a few of
their public funded jobs w/benefits are starting to uncontrollably
sweat. Perhaps keeping our public media focus on a very passive/
insert Mars instead of any highly active Venus or even Selene is

clearly their priority number one.

All we need is a viable multi-tonne payload capable fly-by-rocket
lander with a robust return-home capability, a pair of robust nuclear
reactors, a few tonnes of other essentials, a 4 years supply of beer,
pizza and toilet paper to go along with the trillion plus cost of a
Mars expedition, and perhaps a decade from now we'd get there.

Too bad there's so little of any value on Mars that we here on Earth
could use, although that Mars plank of wood could bring 100+ millions
at auction.

That's certainly a perfectly good one for Mars, as though looking kind
of "old railway sleeper" artificial. (? apparently Mars once had

trees to make rail ties?)

Seems they ran directly over the top of it, so it's not such a large

rail sleeper/tie as you'd think. However, small Mars folks shouldn't
have needed much bigger than quarter-scale.

~ Brad Guth Brad_Guth Brad.Guth BradGuth BG / “Guth Usenet”