Phyllis Schlafly: Ohio Lesson Plan Pleases Parents, Irks Liberals

Jason Spaceman

Mar 18, 2004, 5:14:03 AM3/18/04
Phyllis Schlafly of the Ego Forum, errr Eagle Forum rather, on the
recent goings on in Ohio:

The new lesson plan presents the overused English peppered moth story
found in most textbooks, which teaches that black moths survived
because they rested on trees blackened by soot, while white moths were
eaten by the birds. The lesson points out that "peppered moths do not
actually rest on tree trunks," and that "no new species emerged" as
evolutionists have long implied was the result of the soot.

. . . The diehard evolutionists have enjoyed censorship of any
criticism of their beliefs for a hundred years, and they won't
willingly give up their academic turf. Their censorship demands became
so irrational that the Ohio Board's vice president, Richard Baker,
called them "a bunch of paranoid, egotistical scientists afraid of
people finding out [they] don't know anything."

Read it at http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=3305

J. Spaceman

catshark

Mar 18, 2004, 5:56:10 AM3/18/04
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:14:03 +0000 (UTC), Jason Spaceman
<notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote:

>Phyllis Schlafly of the Ego Forum, errr Eagle Forum rather, on the
>recent goings on in Ohio:

>The new lesson plan presents the overused English peppered moth story
>found in most textbooks, which teaches that black moths survived
>because they rested on trees blackened by soot, while white moths were
>eaten by the birds. The lesson points out that "peppered moths do not
>actually rest on tree trunks," and that "no new species emerged" as
>evolutionists have long implied was the result of the soot.
>
>. . . The diehard evolutionists have enjoyed censorship of any
>criticism of their beliefs for a hundred years, and they won't
>willingly give up their academic turf. Their censorship demands became
>so irrational that the Ohio Board's vice president, Richard Baker,
>called them "a bunch of paranoid, egotistical scientists afraid of
>people finding out [they] don't know anything."

<Sigh> Another victim of American educational policy . . .

---------------
J. Pieret
---------------

Creatures inveterately wrong in their inductions
have a pathetic, if praiseworthy, tendency to die
before reproducing their kind.

- Willard van Ormand Quine -

Mark K. Bilbo

Mar 18, 2004, 9:23:55 AM3/18/04
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:14:03 +0000 in episode
<2gti50t6d5vr32mpn...@4ax.com> we saw our hero Jason
Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org>:

> Phyllis Schlafly of the Ego Forum, errr Eagle Forum rather, on the recent
> goings on in Ohio:

> The new lesson plan presents the overused English peppered moth story
> found in most textbooks, which teaches that black moths survived because
> they rested on trees blackened by soot, while white moths were eaten by
> the birds. The lesson points out that "peppered moths do not actually rest
> on tree trunks," and that "no new species emerged" as evolutionists have
> long implied was the result of the soot.
>
> . . . The diehard evolutionists have enjoyed censorship of any criticism
> of their beliefs for a hundred years, and they won't willingly give up
> their academic turf. Their censorship demands became so irrational that
> the Ohio Board's vice president, Richard Baker, called them "a bunch of
> paranoid, egotistical scientists afraid of people finding out [they] don't
> know anything."

As opposed to an elected official running one of the systems that's
producing the most ignorant people in the entire industrial world.

I bet *he knows all *kinds of things. Like how to cash campaign
contribution checks...

--
Mark K. Bilbo - a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion

Kermit

Mar 18, 2004, 1:23:16 PM3/18/04
Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote in message news:<2gti50t6d5vr32mpn...@4ax.com>...

Perhaps Ms. Schlafly will next take on those historians who refuse to
admit there was no Rome, those mathematicians who refuse to admit that
1+1 doesn't always eaqual 2, and those doctors who hesitate to use
apricot pits (laetrile) for cancer treatments.

Down with those impious philosphies which insist on verifiying facts
with reality!

Kermit
"The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne" - Chaucer

EjP

Mar 18, 2004, 2:22:38 PM3/18/04
Jason Spaceman wrote:
> Phyllis Schlafly of the Ego Forum, errr Eagle Forum rather, on the
> recent goings on in Ohio:

Whoa! Is she still around? I remember her getting a lot of airtime
early in the (last) fundamentalist putsch back in the 80's. She
spoke with great authority on everything from Star Wars missile
defense (claimed we already knew how to build it) to AIDS (claimed
it was God's punishment, of course). I alway figured that had
sort of vanished back into the slime since then. To paraphrase
"A Fish Called Wanda", calling her stupid is an insult to stupid
people.

-E

Ken Shaw

Mar 18, 2004, 3:36:58 PM3/18/04

EjP wrote:

> Jason Spaceman wrote:
>
>>Phyllis Schlafly of the Ego Forum, errr Eagle Forum rather, on the
>>recent goings on in Ohio:
>>

> Whoa! Is she still around? I remember her getting a lot of airtime
> early in the (last) fundamentalist putsch back in the 80's. She
> spoke with great authority on everything from Star Wars missile
> defense (claimed we already knew how to build it) to AIDS (claimed
> it was God's punishment, of course). I alway figured that had
> sort of vanished back into the slime since then. To paraphrase
> "A Fish Called Wanda", calling her stupid is an insult to stupid
> people.
>
> -E

Unfortunately this "person" and her group have remained powerful in
Illinois republican politics. She is gaining prominence again due to an
influx of money and support from some in the shrub's kleptocracy.

Ken

Jason Spaceman

Mar 18, 2004, 4:25:37 PM3/18/04
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:14:03 +0000 (UTC), Jason Spaceman
<notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote:

Again, another claim that peppered moths don't rest on tree trunks,
when evidence clearly shows that they do rest on trunks some of the
time.

And the claim that 'no new species emerged' as a result of the soot,
as far as I know nobody ever claimed that the peppered moth story was
an example of speciation; but rather an example of where natural
selection played a major role. You don't need speciation in order to
demonstrate evolution via natural selection.

J. Spaceman

Mitchell Coffey

Mar 18, 2004, 6:28:23 PM3/18/04
EjP <nos...@hackers.are.bad> wrote in message news:<c3ct8e$9fp$1...@info4.fnal.gov>...

> Jason Spaceman wrote:
> > Phyllis Schlafly of the Ego Forum, errr Eagle Forum rather, on the
> > recent goings on in Ohio:
> >

> Whoa! Is she still around? I remember her getting a lot of airtime
> early in the (last) fundamentalist putsch back in the 80's. She
> spoke with great authority on everything from Star Wars missile
> defense (claimed we already knew how to build it) to AIDS (claimed
> it was God's punishment, of course). I alway figured that had
> sort of vanished back into the slime since then. To paraphrase
> "A Fish Called Wanda", calling her stupid is an insult to stupid
> people.
[snip]

Believe-or-not, a while back two of her son's were regular posters on
T.O. Pieces of work, both of them. One, Roger, had a hobbyhorse
about Stephan Gould. The day Gould died Roger hadn't been posting
here for a while, but he took the time to issue a post bashing Gould,
under a use-it-once assumed name. But Roger at least had a soul of
sorts. His brother competed in lack of substance with your common
neutrino. His name escapes me - in truth, he may not have had one,
certainly he didn't deserve one. He concentrated all about his
character that wasn't dim, ghostly, porous, permeable, fatuous,
vacuous, vapor-like and unreal into a capacity for lying. I didn't
like him. He fancied himself an expert on evolution.

Mitchell Coffey

mdotcoffeyatstarpowerdotnet

Roger Coppock

Mar 18, 2004, 6:36:01 PM3/18/04
unrestra...@hotmail.com (Kermit) wrote in message news:<2b38d8c5.04031...@posting.google.com>...

> Perhaps Ms. Schlafly will next take on those historians who refuse to
> admit there was no Rome, those mathematicians who refuse to admit that
> 1+1 doesn't always eaqual 2, and those doctors who hesitate to use
> apricot pits (laetrile) for cancer treatments.
>
> Down with those impious philosphies which insist on verifiying facts
> with reality!

Certainly, anyone with a religious belief deserves
their fair share of equal time in our public school
classrooms. If Ohio follows Ms. Schlafly's advice,
this is what their schools will soon look like.

Equal Time
(c)Roger Coppock, 1999
(All rights reserved.)

Ms. Jones hated this. It took her away from her Home Science
classroom at Anywhere Public Secondary School number 8. She certainly
didn't want to try to calm an irate parent and Principal Brown. These
things always start with something superficially silly, yet a couple
of wacko parents could end Ms. Jones' 28-year teaching career.

Gently, Ms. Jones opened the door and entered Principal Brown's
office. She fixed her eyes on her superior. He was sitting at his
desk and staring out his picture window. Ms. Jones had to get his
attention.

"Principal Brown?" Ms. Jones softly inquired.

Her superior was too lost in thought to hear her.

Ms. Jones made her second try more forcefully, "Principal Brown?"

"Yes," the principal replied. "Ms. Jane Doe will be here soon. She
sounded pretty irate on the phone. Did you have to send her daughter
Janet home, Ms. Jones?"

"Yes, I most certainly did! My 9:00 baking class was baking cakes and
Janet defecated in front of the class and mixed her own dung into the
batter."

"You can wait in here for Ms. Doe, Ms. Jones."

Together they sat silently waiting for Ms. Jane Doe. Ms. Jones
mesmerized herself by looking out Principal Brown's picture window.
The leaves on the trees had changed from green to red and yellow, and
were beginning to change from red and yellow to brown.

Ms. Doe arrived and hastily dumped her jacket on Principal Brown's
bookcase. She had certainly left her house in haste: she was wearing
old clothes, no make-up, and had uncombed hair. She was angry too.
Her face was bright beet red.

"Why did you expel my daughter Janet, Ms. Jones?" Jane Doe exploded.

Ms. Jones answered the implied allegation, "In our cooking class this
morning, your daughter took off her clothes, defecated in a bowl and
mixed it with her cake batter."

"And so?" said Ms. Doe.

"The incident disturbed my entire class."

"Well if you can't control your class, Ms. Jones, why take it out on
my daughter?"

Trying to defuse the coming cat-fight, Principal Brown injected
himself into the middle of the conversation, "Can't you see that
public defecation is inappropriate for a high school, Ms. Doe?"

"Janet was also carrying a large mixing bowl full of cake batter with
her at the time, Ms. Doe."

"Yes, she would need that."

"Need that for what?" Principal Brown asked.

"To mix her dung with the batter, of course."

"Why would anyone want to do that?" Ms. Jones asked.

"It is our way. It has been our way for centuries. It says so in the
Bible; Ezekiel 4:12 says, "...thou shalt eat barley cakes, and thou
shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight,'" Ms.
Doe explained.

Ms. Jones froze her eyes on Ms. Doe. Principal Brown swallowed a lump
in his throat.

While her two listeners sat stunned, Ms. Doe continued, "The Bible
also says so twice more, once in Isaiah 36:12 and again in Second
Kings 18:27. The Bible says, ' . . . that they may eat their own
dung, and drink their own piss with you?'"

A silence blanketed the three. Ms. Doe realized that she had lost her
listeners.

It was left to Principal Brown to restart the dialog. In a low, slow,
apologetic voice he said, "But Ms. Doe, eating dung may be all right
in your home or at your church, but we simply can't do it here at
Anywhere Public Secondary School number 8."

Principal Brown's attempt at calm rationalization failed miserably.
Ms. Doe fired back a stinging reply, "AND WHY NOT?"

"Because it disrupts my baking class," Ms. Jones tried to explain,
"The other girls were so astonished today that they didn't complete
their projects."

"Well that is not my daughter's fault! Don't you teach your students
to respect other people's beliefs at this school? Why should my
daughter be expelled from school because her classmates are heathen
bigots?" Ms. Doe raged.

Principal Brown tried to calm Ms. Doe. "Of course we respect
everybody's views, Ms. Doe, but . . . " he said.

Ms. Doe would have none of it; her fire had been started. "All I want
is for the Anywhere Public School District to respect our people's
views, our religion; not some Un-American doctrine. Can't we go
50/50? Wouldn't that be fair? Ms. Jones can teach her wild theories
half the time, and half the time she can teach the biblically correct
alternative, Dung Science. Her students will find that true science
not only confirms the Bible, it shows that dung eating is healthy,"
she said.

The three sat in embarrassing silence again, and again Principal Brown
broke that silence. "Well, one can't argue with 50/50. Fair is fair
after all." Brown looked at Ms. Jones and continued, "Now that you've
explained everything, Ms. Doe, I don't see why your daughter Janet
can't return to school tomorrow, with Ms. Jones' apology."

Principal Brown continued staring at Ms. Jones. After a tense pause,
Ms. Jones followed his lead and said, "I had no idea that Janet's
behavior was religiously motivated, Ms. Doe. Please accept my apology
and tell Janet that she may return to school tomorrow. I will respect
her religious beliefs and give them equal time in my future classes."

With the situation defused, the tension melted away. Ms. Doe
retrieved her jacket and left Principal Brown's office.

"See, Ms. Jones all you need to is to give people a little respect,"
the Principal said.

Ms. Jones was not convinced. "What am I going to do for 'Dung
Science' textbooks, Principal Brown?" she asked.

"I am sure that Janet will provide some materials tomorrow. We can
buy some more with emergency funds if we need to, Ms. Jones," her
principal replied.

Glad to still have her job, Ms. Jones left the office. Principal
Brown continued looking out his picture window. He was glad that
peace had returned.

- - - - - - - - -

The peace lasted until the next semester.

Ms. Jones entered Principal Brown's office with a large frown on her
face.

Principal Brown looked away from his picture window. "What's the
matter, Ms. Jones?" Brown asked.

"I've got students biting each other in my afternoon cooking class.
Shall I send them home?"

Principal Jones answered a question with two more of his own. "Well,
what do they say for themselves? Have you called their parents?" he
said.

"It's the Smith twins. They aren't saying anything. I've called
their mother; she should be on her way now. We can talk to her when
she gets here."

"You can wait in here for Ms. Smith, Ms. Jones."

The two exchanged no more words. Only the whispered hum of the air
conditioner could be heard. The two educators were too busy looking
out the picture window to notice any sound. Winter had its icy grip
on the campus. The world of outside was white with gray trails left
by children commuting between their classrooms.

In a few minutes Ms. Smith arrived in an old knit exercise suit. The
blue polyester suit was tattered and sweat stained. Her hair was held
in a loose bundle by a matching blue ribbon, and one of her blue
sports shoes was untied.

As soon as Ms. Smith found a chair she started speaking. "So what
have my Ann and Betty done?" she asked.

"Ms. Smith, I am Ms. Jones, your daughters' Home Science teacher.
During our study of meat entrées this afternoon your girls started
biting the other students and each other."

"And so?" said Ms. Smith.

"The incident disturbed my entire class."

"Well, if you can't control your class, Ms. Jones, why take it out on
my daughters?"

Trying to defuse the coming cat-fight, Principal Brown injected
himself into the middle of the conversation, "Can't you see that
biting is inappropriate behavior in a high school classroom, Ms.
Smith?"

"If you were teaching meat entrées, Ms. Jones, my daughters would need
to bite other people."

"Need to bite for what?" Principal Brown asked.

"To eat them of course."

"Why would anyone want to do that?" Ms. Jones asked.

"It is our way. It has been our way for centuries. It says so in the
Bible. The good book says in Leviticus 26:29, 'And ye shall eat the
flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat,'"
Ms. Smith explained.

Ms. Jones froze her eyes on Ms. Smith. Principal Brown swallowed a
lump in his throat. The two were simply shocked, even though the two
had traveled this path before.

While her two listeners sat in stunned déjà vu Ms. Smith continued,
"God's word also says, 'I will cause them to eat the flesh of their
sons and the flesh of their daughters, and they shall eat every one
the flesh of his friend...' in Jeremiah 19:9. We Smiths are a
God-fearing family and always try to do what the almighty commands us
to do. Your school must give our offspring the knowledge to follow
God's law as we see fit, Principal Brown."

A silence blanketed the three. Ms. Smith realized that she had lost
her listeners.

It was again left to Principal Brown to restart the dialog. In a low,
slow, apologetic voice he said, "But Ms. Smith, eating people may be
all right in your home or at your church, but we simply can't do it
here at Anywhere Public Secondary School number 8."

Principal Brown's attempt at calm rationalization failed miserably.
Ms. Smith fired back a stinging reply, "AND WHY NOT? You let those
damn dung eaters promote their depraved dogmas."

"Because it disrupts my class. Several students had to see the school
nurse for their bite wounds, today."

"Well that is not my daughters' fault! If the other students knew
something of our Smith family beliefs, they would avoid getting
bitten. Don't you teach your students to respect other people's
beliefs at this school? Why should my daughters be expelled from
school because their classmates are uneducated bigots?" Ms. Smith
raged.

Principal Brown tried to calm Ms. Smith. "Of course we try respect
everybody's views, Ms. Smith, but . . . cannibalism?" he said. "Whom
will our students eat?" he went on to ask.

"Why each other of course. They shall choose by 'casting lots in the
eyes of the Lord.'"

"But . . ." Ms. Jones tried to interrupt Ms. Smith's speech, but
failed.

Ms. Smith just had to deliver her tape recorded message, "All I want
is for the Anywhere Public School District to respect our people's
views, our religion; not some dung eating doctrine. Can't we go
50/50? Wouldn't that be fair? Ms. Jones can teach dung eating half
the time, and half the time she can teach the biblically correct
alternative, Cannibal Science. Her students will find that true
science not only confirms the Bible, it shows that cannibalism is
healthy. Then they will make up their minds for themselves, and they
will all choose righteous cannibal lifestyles." she said.

Ms. Jones looked at Principal Brown. Principal Brown looked at Ms.
Jones.

Reading the handwriting on the wall, Ms. Jones spoke, "Now that you
put it that way, Ms. Smith, equal time, 50/50, is fair isn't it? If
Principal Brown agrees, I will lift the suspension on your twins Ann
and Betty."

"I'll agree to 50% if you will too, Ms. Smith," Principal Brown chimed
in.

Satisfied, Ms. Smith tied her shoe and left Brown's office.

Ms. Jones and Principal Brown looked out the office picture window and
watched Ms. Smith trudge through the snow.

Ms. Jones spoke first, "My students are already very confused with two
textbooks. The old ones AND the new Dung Science materials are too
much for them. How are we going to add a third textbook and eat half
of the students as well?"

Principal Brown only half-heard Ms. Jones; he had his own problem to
worry about. "How are we going to get the money for a third set of
textbooks? We spent all our extra money last semester on those
textbooks from the Dung Science Institute," he said.

Ms. Jones gazed through the picture window a minute. Then she
silently returned to her classroom. Principal Brown could not remove
his gaze from the window. Looking at the cold winter scene made him
feel warm. He was glad that peace had returned.

- - - - - -

The peace melted with the winter snow and hid during the spring and
summer. Then the chaos of a new school year found peace's hiding spot
and brutally killed it.

Principal Brown stared out the picture window, looking for signs of
fall in the landscape in front of him. There was a knock on his
office door. Wearing a big frown, Ms. Jones entered.

Principal Brown could guess why she was here. "Another unruly Home
Science student with a parent on the way, Ms. Jones?" he said.

"Yes, this time it's the Johnson girl. She brought a bottle of
poison, strychnine I think, to my junior cooking class. I stopped her
just as she was about to add it to our bread dough. I called Ms.
Johnson and she is on the way."

"You can wait in here for Ms. Johnson, Ms. Jones."

The picture window opened onto a world waiting to be transformed. Ms.
Summer was hanging on a little longer than usual this year. Mr. Fall
would soon chase her away, just as Old Man Winter would chase him
away.

Ms. Johnson arrived and immediately sat down. Her face was bright
beet red. Before she had nested in the chair she nearly screamed,
"Why did you send my daughter Margaret home, Ms. Jones?"

"Because Margaret attempted to poison my entire junior cooking class.
She somehow got a bottle of poison through our school's security and
was trying to add it to our bread dough when I stopped her."

"And so?" said Ms. Johnson.

"She nearly killed my entire class, 28 students," Ms. Jones answered.

Principal Brown quickly added to Ms. Jones' remarks, "And besides,
poison isn't allowed on our campus. A student who brings it here is
committing a serious infraction of our rules."

"This is the third year I've taught your daughter Margaret, Ms.
Johnson. Until now we've been the best of friends. I can't imagine
what made your daughter attempt mass murder. Do you have any idea why
she attempted it?" Ms. Jones asked.

"We just converted, Ms. Jones. My new husband insisted that Margaret
and I convert to his religion before he would marry me."

"Your new religion tells you to make people drink poison?"

"Yes, my husband calls it a test of belief. His pastor likes to quote
the end of the book of Mark.

"He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that
believeth not shall be damned.

And these signs shall follow them that believe; . . . and if they
drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them;"

With a profound sense of déjà vu, Principal Brown tried to speed this
conversation to its conclusion. "Drinking poison may be all right in
your new husband's home Ms. Johnson, but your daughter tried to poison
her Anywhere PSS 8 classmates, and she has no valid reason for that."

"AND WHY NOT? Can't Margaret proselytize for her new religion? You
let those evil dung eaters and cannibals go around spreading their
dogma in your classrooms. You let them use your cafeteria's food like
a toilet. You even let them butcher other students and eat them. All
I want is for the Anywhere Public School District to respect my
daughter's choice of religion. Can't she get equal time? Wouldn't
50% be fair?"

Ms. Jones and Principal Brown looked at each other, then looked out
the window, and finally returned their gaze to each other.

Principal Brown tied the ribbon on the now all too familiar package.
"Now that we understand your family's beliefs Ms. Johnson, I don't
think we will need to expel your daughter," he said, "Margaret can
obey the tenets of her new religion, providing that she informs Ms.
Jones of her actions first. You can be sure that she will be
respected at Anywhere Public Secondary School number 8," he
apologized. "Now if you go to my secretary, she will show how to
remove this event from your daughter's record," Principal Brown
offered.

Ms. Johnson jumped out of the chair and quickly left the office.

After the door shut, Principal Brown said, "You are going to be
cooking with some interesting recipes now, Ms. Jones."

"If I don't infect, eat, or poison all my students first. And how am
I going to fit it all in? You've promised classic food preparation
50%, 50% for Dung Science, 50% for cannibalism, and 50% more for
Margaret's new poison faith. That's 200%!" Ms. Jones complained.

"That's OK! Our Algebra teacher, Mr. Davis, has had some of the same
problems with his students. You'd be amazed what original
mathematical insights his students' religious beliefs have found!"

Principal Brown couldn't believe he said that. It was like some
hidden puppeteer moved his lips. Ms. Jones understood that. She just
turned her eyes to the picture window. "It's going to be a long rough
winter, isn't it?" she asked.

Principal Brown looked out the window and saw not even a sign of fall,
let alone harbingers of winter. "Yes Ms. Jones, we are in for a very
long winter," he said.

THE END

Jon Fleming

Mar 18, 2004, 7:12:16 PM3/18/04

Andy. He used the handle and...@my-deja.com.

--
Replace nospam with group to email

Jason Spaceman

Mar 18, 2004, 7:16:12 PM3/18/04
Also from Schlafly's article:
"To some people, it's a very big deal, and the ACLU is ominously
threatening a lawsuit. The opposition to the new lesson was led by
Case Western Reserve University lecturer Patricia Princehouse (whose
academic position is philosophy not science) who said, "It's sad day
for science in Ohio.""

While the CWR University lists Princehouse as being part of the
philosophy department faculty at CWRU (see
http://www.cwru.edu/artsci/phil/princehouse.html ) Princehouse's
specialty seems to be in areas such as History and Philosophy of
Science, Natural Philosophy, Natural History, Evolutionary Theory,
Genetics. And she is on the board of Ohio Citizens for Science (see
http://ecology.cwru.edu/ohioscience/board.asp ). Which would
certainly qualify her to speak on such matters.

And there were groups of scientists opposed to the new lesson plan,
both the National Academy of Sciences and the Ohio Academy of Science
raised concerns about it.

J. Spaceman

Robert Parson

Mar 18, 2004, 7:50:06 PM3/18/04
Coffey) wrote:

>Believe-or-not, a while back two of her son's were regular posters on
>T.O. Pieces of work, both of them. One, Roger, had a hobbyhorse
>about Stephan Gould. The day Gould died Roger hadn't been posting
>here for a while, but he took the time to issue a post bashing Gould,
>under a use-it-once assumed name. But Roger at least had a soul of
>sorts.

Roger is, at some level, a genuinely smart guy - he has a Ph.D. in
Mathematics from Berkeley, teaches Computer Science at UC Santa Cruz,
and has published papers in respectable journals (although I get the
impression that his job doesn't give him very much time for research.)
He is, however, unbelievably _dense_ when it comes to any sort of
scientific discussion - remember that endless harangue about the meaning
of the term "Copernican Revolution"? Once he gets an idea in his head,
he clings to it and nothing will persuade him to change his position.
And yes, he had an almost pathological hatred for S. J. Gould.

> His brother competed in lack of substance with your common
>neutrino.

Zero (or nearly zero) mass, zero charge, but no shortage of spin -
sounds about right.

> His name escapes me - in truth, he may not have had one,
>certainly he didn't deserve one.

Andy.

> He concentrated all about his
>character that wasn't dim, ghostly, porous, permeable, fatuous,
>vacuous, vapor-like and unreal into a capacity for lying. I didn't
>like him. He fancied himself an expert on evolution.

He got a degree in Engineering Physics at Princeton and then switched to
Law - Harvard Law School, I think. In spite of this background, his
knowledge of physics is rudimentary, at about the level of a Freshman
undergraduate class. He wasted a lot of people's time with a quixotic
campaign against General Relativity on a thread posted to
soc.history.science, sci.astro and other places.

Roger has a blog, http://schlafly.net/blog, in which he and his brothers
(in addition to Andy there is John, an openly gay lawyer) argue about
all sorts of things. Good for when you want a brief out-of-body
experience.

--------
Robert

Dave Oldridge

Mar 19, 2004, 6:25:34 PM3/19/04
Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote in

> Phyllis Schlafly of the Ego Forum, errr Eagle Forum rather, on the
> recent goings on in Ohio:

> - The new lesson plan presents the overused English peppered moth

> story found in most textbooks, which teaches that black moths survived
> because they rested on trees blackened by soot, while white moths were
> eaten by the birds. The lesson points out that "peppered moths do not
> actually rest on tree trunks," and that "no new species emerged" as
> evolutionists have long implied was the result of the soot.

Since nobody claimed that a new species emerged, this is simply a lie.
To demand that lies be placed in a school curriculum is REALLY bad public
practice because it ultimately teaches the lesson that it's OK to lie in
public in order to make a point. To any GENUINE Christian, this has to
be seen as an abomination! Most atheists would probably agree!

--
Dave Oldridge
ICQ 1800667

Paradoxically, most real events are highly improbable.

Mitchell Coffey

Mar 19, 2004, 6:28:55 PM3/19/04
rpar...@yahoo.com (Robert Parson) wrote in message news:<405a3c81...@netnews.comcast.net>...

For some reason I like Roger, I just consider the poor fellow damaged.
Roger has interesting things to say when unrelated to his
hobbyhorses. I recall back in the 2000 presidential race he had
insightful things to say about the politics of the campaign - that is,
why the candidates did what they did, and why the electorate reacted
as it did. This is not surprising coming from a guy who grew up in a
political family.

And yet, on the other hand, it took some time for Roger to admit that
Gore got more votes than Bush. He advanced an argument that
originated on the Eagle Forum website which consisted of pointing out
that Bush won more counties than Gore over all, and more counties in
states whose populations when added together exceed the population of
the states Gore won the majority of counties in. Or something like
that. It didn't demonstrate that Bush really got the most votes, of
course, but it could occupy a great deal of space, during which they
didn't have to admit to anything.

I went to Berkeley, in Economics, at the same time Roger was there.
We didn't meet that I know of, but from my extensive experience with
the Berkeley Math Department, the fact that he was able to thrive
there makes perfect sense.

I'm aware that Andy graduated from Harvard Law School, but I frankly
can't process it. I'm aware that people can be as stupid as necessary
to maintain their job or their core beliefs, but it's difficult to see
how Andy could turn a computer on without step-by-step assistance.
The one time I read the blog you mention, Andy was arguing that people
had deteriorated in all positive qualities since the days of Rome and
Greece - and the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics mandated that this be so.
Latin was superior to modern languages, but had fallen to corruption
due to the 2nd Law. I wish I could make it up this good.

Mitchell Coffey

mdotcoffeyatstarpowerdotnet

Matt Silberstein

Mar 19, 2004, 11:17:09 PM3/19/04
In talk.origins I read this message from MitC...@aol.com
(Mitchell Coffey):

[snip]

>And yet, on the other hand, it took some time for Roger to admit that
>Gore got more votes than Bush. He advanced an argument that
>originated on the Eagle Forum website which consisted of pointing out
>that Bush won more counties than Gore over all, and more counties in
>states whose populations when added together exceed the population of
>the states Gore won the majority of counties in. Or something like
>that. It didn't demonstrate that Bush really got the most votes, of
>course, but it could occupy a great deal of space, during which they
>didn't have to admit to anything.

IIRC the argument was that the land represented by counties Bush
won was larger than the land represented by counties Gore won.
Somehow, I gather, land itself gets representation.

[snip]

--
Matt Silberstein

Donate to the C.A.N.D.L.E.S. Museum, burnt down by arsonists who wrote
"Remember Timothy McVeigh" on the wall.

C.A.N.D.L.E.S. stands for Children of Auschwitz Nazi Deadly Lab Experiments
Survivors.

www.candles-museum.com

EjP

Mar 20, 2004, 10:30:04 AM3/20/04

I remember her as one of a number of women in the 80's who made
a career traveling around, given lectures and going on talk
shows, explaining how women really *should* stay home and take
care of their house and kids. I always thought that if they
believed that, it would be best to teach by example, but somehow
no one else seemed to see the irony.

-E

> Ken

Susan S

Mar 21, 2004, 3:11:30 AM3/21/04
In talk.origins I read this message from EjP
<nos...@die.spammers.die>:

She vigorously campaigned against the Equal Rights Amendment. One
of her complaints was that it would lead to mixed gender public
toilets. It always seemed ironic that a successful, professional
woman would insist that women should stay home with their
children.

Susan Silberstein

EjP

Mar 22, 2004, 10:43:34 AM3/22/04

Oh, yeah, I'd forgotten that one. It's all coming back to me
like a bad dream. Those wacky 80's: backmasking on record albums,
televangelists getting caught with their pants down left and
right - and Phyllis Schlafly raising the specter of unisex
toilets. IIRC, she could really whip people into a
frenzy, painting pictures of an army of feminists just waiting
with pre-painted gender neutral restroom signs, ready to
mobilize at a moment's notice if "right thinking" people let
their guard down.

-E

R.Schenck

Mar 22, 2004, 3:35:54 PM3/22/04
Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote in message news:<epek50lm9fpnpkbg9...@4ax.com>...

Far be it for any Creationist to have to check their facts or follow
through on any accusations. And what is Mrs. Schlafly's
qualifications on, anything. If a person who's engaged in the
Philosophy of Science isn't qualified (and of course, they are really
more qualified than a pure scientist to dea with creationsts, since
creationists don't have any scientitific arguement or information)
then what is Mrs. Schlafly's qualifications? According to the
arcticle; "Mrs. Schlafly is the author of Feminist Fantasies ",
whatever the heck book that was.

> J. Spaceman

EjP

Mar 22, 2004, 4:11:39 PM3/22/04
R.Schenck wrote:

> Jason Spaceman <notr...@jspaceman.homelinux.org> wrote in message news:<epek50lm9fpnpkbg9...@4ax.com>...
>
>>Also from Schlafly's article:
>>"To some people, it's a very big deal, and the ACLU is ominously
>>threatening a lawsuit. The opposition to the new lesson was led by
>>Case Western Reserve University lecturer Patricia Princehouse (whose
>>academic position is philosophy not science) who said, "It's sad day
>>for science in Ohio.""
>>
>>While the CWR University lists Princehouse as being part of the
>>philosophy department faculty at CWRU (see
>>http://www.cwru.edu/artsci/phil/princehouse.html ) Princehouse's
>>specialty seems to be in areas such as History and Philosophy of
>>Science, Natural Philosophy, Natural History, Evolutionary Theory,
>>Genetics. And she is on the board of Ohio Citizens for Science (see
>>http://ecology.cwru.edu/ohioscience/board.asp ). Which would
>>certainly qualify her to speak on such matters.
>>
>>And there were groups of scientists opposed to the new lesson plan,
>>both the National Academy of Sciences and the Ohio Academy of Science
>>raised concerns about it.
>>

> Far be it for any Creationist to have to check their facts or follow
> through on any accusations. And what is Mrs. Schlafly's
> qualifications on, anything.

In looking at Ms. Schlafly's credentials, I was shocked to find that
she made quite a career doing the things that she strongly encourages
other women *not* to do: she has a both a law degree and a
Master's in Political Science. In short, she has benefited more
than most from the women's rights movement that she works so hard
to ridicule.

Of course, she has no scientific or educational credentials - or
any credentials in a number of areas where she is a self-proclaimed
pundit.

-E

Lawrence Seib

Mar 22, 2004, 4:54:16 PM3/22/04
EjP <nos...@hackers.are.bad> wrote in message news:<c3n1uu$cmd$1...@info4.fnal.gov>...
Wasn't she the one who was caught in pornographic pictures
that were put on the web?

Larry

Susan S

Mar 22, 2004, 7:04:46 PM3/22/04
In talk.origins I read this message from
ls...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Lawrence Seib):

No.

Susan Silberstein

Daniel Harper

Mar 22, 2004, 7:43:29 PM3/22/04

No, that was "Dr. Laura".

--
"You have heard that it was said, 'Love your neighbor'and 'hate your enemy.'
But I say to you, love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you, that

--Daniel Harper

(Change terra to earth for email)

Robert Parson

Mar 22, 2004, 9:28:15 PM3/22/04
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004 04:17:09 +0000 (UTC), Matt Silberstein
<matts...@ix.netcom.nospamcom> wrote:

>In talk.origins I read this message from MitC...@aol.com
>(Mitchell Coffey):
>
>[snip]
>
>>And yet, on the other hand, it took some time for Roger to admit that
>>Gore got more votes than Bush. He advanced an argument that
>>originated on the Eagle Forum website which consisted of pointing out
>>that Bush won more counties than Gore over all, and more counties in
>>states whose populations when added together exceed the population of
>>the states Gore won the majority of counties in.

>IIRC the argument was that the land represented by counties Bush

>won was larger than the land represented by counties Gore won.
>Somehow, I gather, land itself gets representation.

I've seen an argument very much what Mitchell ascribes to Roger on the
net: if you take all of the counties in which Bush received a majority,
and compare their total population to that of all of the counties in
which Gore on a majority, then Bush comes out ahead by a few million. In
other words, "winner take all" at the county level rather than at the
state level. Of course it's silly since no one has ever suggested that
electoral votes be assigned this way. (The definition of a county varies
markedly from state to state - New York, with a population of 19
million, has 60 counties, whereas Texas, with a population of 21
million, has 254 counties if I did my arithmetic correctly.)

However, while no one has ever suggested using counties as a basis for
electoral apportionment, a number of people have suggested using
congressional districts (as a couple of states already do now.) This
idea was floated following the 1968 election, and came up again in 2000.

Much to my surprise, Bush wins by a small but clear margin using this
criterion, large enough so that a few disputed Florida districts won't
affect the result. OTOH Gore wins if the electors are apportioned
according to the proportion of votes in the state as a whole (another
suggested reform). This last result, while expected, is not trivial
because low-population states have a built-in advantage in the electoral
college no matter how electors are apportioned - the number of electors
is equal to the sum of the number of Representatives and the number of
Senators.

-------
Robert

Grinder

Mar 22, 2004, 9:49:49 PM3/22/04

"Lawrence Seib" <ls...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu> wrote in message

No, it was petroglyphs.

Matt Silberstein

Mar 22, 2004, 11:18:57 PM3/22/04
In talk.origins I read this message from
ls...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Lawrence Seib):

I suspect you mean "Dr" Laura.

Mitchell Coffey

Mar 23, 2004, 5:10:00 PM3/23/04
ls...@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Lawrence Seib) wrote in message news:<75ab6396.04032...@posting.google.com>...

No, that was Lynn Cheney.

Mitchell Coffey

mdotcoffeyatstarpowerdotnet

Grinder

Mar 23, 2004, 5:11:51 PM3/23/04

"Mitchell Coffey" <MitC...@aol.com> wrote in message

Is her Dick in any of the pictures?

Mitchell Coffey

Mar 24, 2004, 12:27:41 AM3/24/04

For shame!

Mitchell

Grinder

Mar 24, 2004, 1:04:05 AM3/24/04

"Mitchell Coffey" <mdotcoffeyats...@hunter.news.rcn.net> wrote in
message news:4g7260tfs6jk44ui4...@4ax.com...

What? I think it would only help the vice-president's image if he were seen
to have made some randy photos with his wife. (Not that I would actually
want to see those pictures.)

Bill

May 13, 2004, 5:35:10 PM5/13/04
"EjP" <nos...@die.spammers.die> wrote in message

| I remember her as one of a number of women in the 80's who made
| a career traveling around, given lectures and going on talk
| shows, explaining how women really *should* stay home and take
| care of their house and kids. I always thought that if they
| believed that, it would be best to teach by example, but somehow
| no one else seemed to see the irony.
|
| > Ken

I thought that she did teach by example, before she got into the public
arena.

Family: Mrs. Schlafly was the 1992 Illinois Mother of the Year. She and her
late husband of 44 years are the parents of six children (John, Bruce,
Roger, Liza, Andrew, and Anne) and 14 grandchildren. She taught all her
children to read before they entered school and all had outstanding academic
success: three lawyers, one physician, one Ph.D. mathematician, and one
businesswoman.

--
pull "string" to reply

Robin Levett

May 13, 2004, 6:26:00 PM5/13/04
Bill wrote:

But when you Google for and read the Schlafly brothers' (Andrew and Roger)
posts in talk.origins, you don't get the same impression of outstanding
academic success...always assuming, of course, that they were the real
Schlafly brothers.

--
Robin Levett
rle...@rlevett.ibmuklunix.net (unmunge by removing big blue - don't yahoo)

Tom McDonald

May 13, 2004, 8:52:05 PM5/13/04
Bill wrote:

> "EjP" <nos...@die.spammers.die> wrote in message
> | I remember her as one of a number of women in the 80's who made
> | a career traveling around, given lectures and going on talk
> | shows, explaining how women really *should* stay home and take
> | care of their house and kids. I always thought that if they
> | believed that, it would be best to teach by example, but somehow
> | no one else seemed to see the irony.
> |
> | > Ken
>
> I thought that she did teach by example, before she got into the public
> arena.

Bill,

Schlafly has been in the public arena since at least 1964 (_A
Choice Not An Echo_). She may have been a wonderful mother;
that's not for me to say. But to say that she was the exemplar
of staying home and focusing on hubby and kids is laughable.

I suspect that she takes advantage of the efforts of feminists
to improve the lot of women in the world outside the home. Or
does she insist on receiving less than her male counterparts for
equal efforts?

> Family: Mrs. Schlafly was the 1992 Illinois Mother of the Year. She and her
> late husband of 44 years are the parents of six children (John, Bruce,
> Roger, Liza, Andrew, and Anne) and 14 grandchildren. She taught all her
> children to read before they entered school and all had outstanding academic
> success: three lawyers, one physician, one Ph.D. mathematician, and one
> businesswoman.
>
> |http://www.eagleforum.org/misc/bio.html

The Eagle Forum is Shlafly's own organization. I would be a
bit critical, were I you, in taking what's written there as gospel.

Tom McDonald

Eric Root

May 14, 2004, 5:28:32 AM5/14/04

Bill wrote:

There used to be a funny organization spoofing Phyllis Shafly called "Ladies

Against Women."

Susan S

May 16, 2004, 2:51:04 AM5/16/04
In talk.origins I read this message from Eric Root
<er...@swva.net>:

LAW was a San Francisco organization that was kind enough to lend
their name to some of us Long Beach folks back in the day. We put
together some skits that we did at liberal and feminist
fundraising and political events, plus for a few years we marched
in the Doo Dah Parade
http://www.pasadenadoodahparade.com/DooDah-Main-1a.html. My
character was Mrs. Mormon Hatchet. Our leader was the Rev. Jerry
Fallout, first general in the Lord's Army, which was allied with
the Moral Monopoly.

We did a live radio show one night in which we claimed to sell a
Vampire Protection Kit put together by the Rev. Brother Grace of
the First Church of Christ, Millionaire. The kit included a
mirror for detecting vampires, garlic and holy water to ward them
off, a crucifix to drive them back into the night and a genuine
oak stake to shove through their hearts. In case one was just a
little slow, we added in a couple of bandages.

We also sang one of our very own songs on the radio that night,
which followed the announcement that the Reverend's next sermon
would be, "He Gave His Only Begotten Son to Stop the Spread of
International Communism".

"Mine eyes have seen the glory of the counting of the coins,
We have emptied out your pockets since the day that you first
joined.
We have built our brand new condos on the beach at St. Tropez,
This God stuff sure does pay!
Glory, glory to the dollar,
Glory, glory to the dollar.
Glory, glory to the dollar,
This God stuff sure does pay."

Hey, I didn't say we were good.

Susan Silberstein

Richard Forrest

May 16, 2004, 5:00:27 AM5/16/04
Susan S <otoerem...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message news:<mb2ea0pd7t14j3v4k...@4ax.com>...

How many of the anti vampire kits did you sell?

The desire of some people to be ripped off by mountebanks (good word
that) is so great that they take seriously even utterly proposterous
propositions.

See this site: http://www.the-crystal-chamber.net/
And for an account of the science:
http://www.newscientist.com/opinion/opfeedback.jsp?id=ns238499#19

RF

John Wilkins

May 16, 2004, 6:05:28 AM5/16/04
Susan S <otoerem...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

Sounds pretty good to me. I wish we had that sort of political satire,
but the notion here seems to need importation from across the Tasman or
the Pacific...
--
Dr John S. Wilkins, www.wilkins.id.au
"I never meet anyone who is not perplexed what to do with their
children" --Charles Darwin to Syms Covington, February 22, 1857

Dana Tweedy

May 16, 2004, 1:47:14 PM5/16/04

"Richard Forrest" <ric...@plesiosaur.com> wrote in message
snipping

> How many of the anti vampire kits did you sell?

I imagine they sold pretty well in Sunnydale CA.

DJT

John Wilkins

May 16, 2004, 7:00:26 PM5/16/04
Dana Tweedy <redd...@Nospam.com> wrote:

But the market bottomed out recently.

Susan S

May 17, 2004, 2:38:56 AM5/17/04
In talk.origins I read this message from ric...@plesiosaur.com
(Richard Forrest):

[snip]

>How many of the anti vampire kits did you sell?
>
>The desire of some people to be ripped off by mountebanks (good word
>that) is so great that they take seriously even utterly proposterous
>propositions.
>
>See this site: http://www.the-crystal-chamber.net/
>And for an account of the science:
>http://www.newscientist.com/opinion/opfeedback.jsp?id=ns238499#19
>
>RF

We were not actually selling anything; it was just part of the
skit. You bring up a good point, however; there probably are
people who would buy something like that.

Susan Silberstein
Assume that anywhere a cat can go, a cat has been.

Dana Tweedy

May 17, 2004, 7:43:50 PM5/17/04

"John Wilkins" <john...@wilkins.id.au> wrote in message

> Dana Tweedy <redd...@Nospam.com> wrote:
>
> > "Richard Forrest" <ric...@plesiosaur.com> wrote in message
> > snipping
> >
> > > How many of the anti vampire kits did you sell?
> >
> > I imagine they sold pretty well in Sunnydale CA.
> >
> But the market bottomed out recently.

There's still a market in Cleveland.

DJT

Vince Barmann

May 17, 2004, 8:41:35 PM5/17/04
Dana Tweedy wrote:

Nice one, too. Still remember the fresh cherries. Mmm.

Vincr B.