Size of the universe

miker...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2007, 4:34:06 AM10/7/07
The most distant object is 13 billion light years away. That is what
we see now. But the universe has gone on to expand those 13 billion
years. The universe is much bigger than our telescopes see by 13
billion years(of expansion.)

Burt -
.

Don Stockbauer

Oct 7, 2007, 7:26:15 AM10/7/07

This is true. However, you still reach the causal horizon farther
out. What's beyond it? Should we petition NASA to send a mission
there to beam back some imagery of "the other side"?

Sam Wormley

Oct 7, 2007, 8:39:22 AM10/7/07

Physics News Update -- Number 685, May 12, 2004
by Phil Schewe and Ben Stein
Ref: http://www.aip.org/pnu/2004/685.html

Our Universe Has a Topology Scale of at least 24 GPC

Our universe has a topology scale of at least 24 Gpc, or
about 75 billion light years, according to a new analysis
of data from the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy
Probe (WMAP).

What does this mean? Well, because of conceivable
hall-of-mirrors effects of spacetime, the universe might
be finite in size but give us mortals the illusion that it is
infinite. For example, the cosmos might be tiled with
some repeating shape, around which light rays might
wrap themselves over and over ("wrap" in the sense
that, as in video games, something might disappear off
the left side of the screen and reappear on the right
side).

A new study by scientists from Princeton, Montana
State, and Case Western looks for signs of such
"wrapped " light in the form of pairs of circles, in
opposite directions in the sky, with similar patterns in
the temperature of the cosmic microwave background.
If the universe were finite and actually smaller than the
distance to the "surface of last scattering" (a distance
that essentially constitutes the edge of the "visible
universe," and the place in deep space whence comes
the cosmic microwaves), then multiple imaging should
show up in the microwave background.

But no such correspondences appeared in the analysis.
The researchers are able to turn the lack of recurring
patterns into the form of a lower limit on the scale of
cosmic topology, equal to 24 billion parsecs, a factor of
10 larger than previous observational bounds. (Cornish,
Spergel, Starkman, Komatsu, Physical Review Letters,
upcoming article; contact Neil Cornish, 406-994-7986,
corn...@physics.montana.edu.)

G=EMC^2 Glazier

Oct 7, 2007, 10:40:38 AM10/7/07
Sam My universe is 22 billion LY years to get to its center(BB) that
means its 44 billion LY across. Reality is at this spacetime its getting
larger by 666,000 mps Go figure Bert

miker...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2007, 7:52:47 PM10/7/07

No horizon. Hypersphere expansion.

Dono

Oct 7, 2007, 8:53:02 PM10/7/07

This is the old crank Mitch Raemsch calling himself "Burt"

miker...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2007, 9:54:46 PM10/7/07

The age of the universe is 35 billion.

Dono

Oct 7, 2007, 11:16:29 PM10/7/07

Yes, Mitch :-)

miker...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2007, 11:55:27 PM10/7/07

Bert and Ernie

John Bailey

Oct 8, 2007, 8:54:19 AM10/8/07
On Sun, 07 Oct 2007 12:39:22 GMT, Sam Wormley <swor...@mchsi.com>
wrote:

>miker...@gmail.com wrote:
>> The most distant object is 13 billion light years away. That is what
>> we see now. But the universe has gone on to expand those 13 billion
>> years. The universe is much bigger than our telescopes see by 13
>> billion years(of expansion.)
>

> Physics News Update -- Number 685, May 12, 2004
> by Phil Schewe and Ben Stein
> Ref: http://www.aip.org/pnu/2004/685.html
>
> Our Universe Has a Topology Scale of at least 24 GPC
>
> Our universe has a topology scale of at least 24 Gpc, or
> about 75 billion light years, according to a new analysis
> of data from the Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy
> Probe (WMAP).

snipped

> A new study by scientists from Princeton, Montana
> State, and Case Western looks for signs of such
> "wrapped " light in the form of pairs of circles, in
> opposite directions in the sky, with similar patterns in
> the temperature of the cosmic microwave background.
> If the universe were finite and actually smaller than the
> distance to the "surface of last scattering" (a distance
> that essentially constitutes the edge of the "visible
> universe," and the place in deep space whence comes
> the cosmic microwaves), then multiple imaging should
> show up in the microwave background.
>
> But no such correspondences appeared in the analysis.
> The researchers are able to turn the lack of recurring
> patterns into the form of a lower limit on the scale of
> cosmic topology, equal to 24 billion parsecs, a factor of
> 10 larger than previous observational bounds. (Cornish,
> Spergel, Starkman, Komatsu, Physical Review Letters,
> upcoming article; contact Neil Cornish, 406-994-7986,
> corn...@physics.montana.edu.)

for an alternate view try:
http://xyz.lanl.gov/abs/0709.0886
"The scale and the substructure, i.e. 30 degree-radius rings and
voids in the distribution of the excursion sets around the
antipodes, reveal features of mirroring which cannot be
explained either via global (integrated Sachs-Wolf effect)
or local inhomogeneities of matter. The anomaly is also
not close to the apex of the CMB dipole arisen due to the
motion of the Earth i.e. of the detector. This mirroring
effect can be the first empirical signature of a Universe
with compact topology, potentially of either curvature."

and
"The mirrored structures cannot be explained simply via inte-
grated Sachs-Wolf effect or via nearby matter anomalies10, i.e.
either by means of global or local inhomogeneities. Mirrored fea-
tures however, would be expected in a Universe with a compact
topology; for examples of hyperbolic and other spaces see e.g.
ref.[11,12]. If we, indeed, deal with the first empirical signature
of a compact space, this result and this method of analysis can
open a new path towards overcoming the curvature/topology de-
generacy and revealing the genuine shape of the Universe."