TOM ROBERTS CLEVERER THAN STEVE CARLIP

Pentcho Valev

Apr 27, 2007, 4:58:23 AM4/27/07
In accordance with the principle of maximum absurdity introduced by
Einstein, in the English translations of Einstein's works the speed of
light is called "velocity of light" and this creates endless
confusions but, on the other hand, is extremely useful for the
survival of Einstein's theory. Needless to say, relativity hypnotists
know the truth but some know it better than others. Compare the
following two explanations:

Tom Roberts wrote in sci.physics.relativity:
> Sam Wormley wrote:
> > Valev confuses *velocity* of light with *speed* of light!
> AFAIK Einstein basically thought in German, which does not have
> different words for "speed" and "velocity" ("die Geschwindigkeit" is
> used for both). Certainly his "velocity of propagation" could be phrased
> as "speed of propagation" without changing the underlying physics.
> Tom Roberts tjro...@lucent.com

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/speed_of_light.html
Steve Carlip: "Einstein went on to discover a more general theory of
relativity which explained gravity in terms of curved spacetime, and
he talked about the speed of light changing in this new theory. In the
1920 book "Relativity: the special and general theory" he wrote: . . .
according to the general theory of relativity, the law of the
constancy of the velocity of light in vacuo, which constitutes one of
the two fundamental assumptions in the special theory of relativity
[. . .] cannot claim any unlimited validity. A curvature of rays of
light can only take place when the velocity of propagation of light
varies with position. Since Einstein talks of velocity (a vector
quantity: speed with direction) rather than speed alone, it is not
clear that he meant the speed will change, but the reference to
special relativity suggests that he did mean so."

Pentcho Valev

harry

Apr 27, 2007, 10:52:39 AM4/27/07

"Pentcho Valev" <pva...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> In accordance with the principle of maximum absurdity introduced by
> Einstein, in the English translations of Einstein's works the speed of
> light is called "velocity of light" and this creates endless
> confusions

That only confuses some young Americans.

That's indeed a little blooper, and I'm surprised that he hasn't corrected
that yet. However, his conclusion that you cite is correct, and one has to
be quite clever to reach a correct conclusion based on partially erroneous
input. I'm sure that if you tell him this, he'll be glad to hear that his
deduction was correct.

Cheers,
Harald

Pentcho Valev

Apr 27, 2007, 11:12:35 AM4/27/07

Carlip does not care at all and I would not tell him anything. The
problem is that, for a century, generations of physicists have been
oscillating between "speed" and "velocity" just because relativity
hypnotists found it suitable to confuse them in this way. See an
example in

http://nige.wordpress.com/2007/03/17/smolin-woit-the-failure-of-string-theory-and-how-string-theory-responds/

Pentcho Valev

karand...@yahoo.com

Apr 27, 2007, 11:16:52 AM4/27/07
On Apr 27, 1:58 am, Pentcho Valev <pva...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In accordance with the principle of maximum absurdity introduced by
> Einstein, in the English translations of Einstein's works the speed of
> light is called "velocity of light" and this creates endless
> confusions but, on the other hand, is extremely useful for the
> survival of Einstein's theory. Needless to say, relativity hypnotists
> know the truth but some know it better than others. Compare the
> following two explanations:
>
> Tom Roberts wrote in sci.physics.relativity:
>
> > Sam Wormley wrote:
> > > Valev confuses *velocity* of light with *speed* of light!
> > AFAIK Einstein basically thought in German, which does not have
> > different words for "speed" and "velocity" ("die Geschwindigkeit" is
> > used for both). Certainly his "velocity of propagation" could be phrased
> > as "speed of propagation" without changing the underlying physics.
> > Tom Roberts tjrobe...@lucent.com
>
> http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/speed_o...

> Steve Carlip: "Einstein went on to discover a more general theory of
> relativity which explained gravity in terms of curved spacetime, and
> he talked about the speed of light changing in this new theory. In the
> 1920 book "Relativity: the special and general theory" he wrote: . . .
> according to the general theory of relativity, the law of the
> constancy of the velocity of light in vacuo, which constitutes one of
> the two fundamental assumptions in the special theory of relativity
> [. . .] cannot claim any unlimited validity. A curvature of rays of
> light can only take place when the velocity of propagation of light
> varies with position. Since Einstein talks of velocity (a vector
> quantity: speed with direction) rather than speed alone, it is not
> clear that he meant the speed will change, but the reference to
> special relativity suggests that he did mean so."
>
> Pentcho Valev

Panchito,

The calendar shows year 2007, so all the students know that the
paragraph was about the VECTOR velocity and not the SCALAR speed. News
travel very slow to your native Bulgaria, don't they?

nuts

Apr 28, 2007, 6:45:22 AM4/28/07

how would thay possibly know that, while nobody is
mentioning it in that paper?

> News travel very slow to your native Bulgaria, don't they?

what has your nazi shit ramblings ta do with tha issue in case?