OT: Mattress shopping

Carolyn

Mar 19, 2003, 7:23:54 PM3/19/03
We're in the market for a new mattress set. I hear a lot of advertising for
Select Comfort mattresses and for Dux (Duxiana) beds. Does anyone have any
opinions on these? Or does anyone want to make a pitch for their favorite?
I'm open to any and all suggestions/recommendations...or warnings for that
matter.

Thanks,
Carolyn

cwkc

Mar 19, 2003, 8:49:15 PM3/19/03
I have a Select Comfort and love it. We have had ours for about 5 years
now. It was kind of pricey, but in my opinion it was well worth the $.

Carmen
"Carolyn" <njm...@aol.communicate> wrote in message

Barbara Carlson

Mar 19, 2003, 9:41:04 PM3/19/03
We bought a very pricey Tempurpedic a few months ago. Hesitated to spend
that much money. I was having serious back problems and considering
surgery. I really didn't think our waterbed was a problem, but we decided
we'd had it a long time, had patched a couple of leaks, and would try the
replacement before I decided on surgery.

Now, I won't say it was a cureall, but I am not considering surgery, and I
am sleeping better than I have in years.

Definitely worth the price!

Barb C.

Cheryl B.

Mar 19, 2003, 10:12:02 PM3/19/03
Barbara I have a Tempurpedic pillow that I use for my migraines, but I find it
really hard for all the time use. I'm afraid I would find the full mattress
too hard. What do you think?

Cheryl B.

KCunnin502

Mar 19, 2003, 10:34:19 PM3/19/03
We've had a Select Comfort for a couple of years now. It's a good bed, but I
miss my waterbed (I have a bad back, and the heated water helped the daily
stiffness and soreness). Hubby, OTOH, loves the Select Comfort more than
anything he's ever slept on.

The only thing I really don't like about the Select Comfort is it seems
"drafty." It takes the longest time for my feet to warm up, even though I have
a thick mattress pad on the bed. (I've always had trouble with cold feet.)

But that's my only complaint.

Karen C./KY

Gdubson

Mar 19, 2003, 10:38:33 PM3/19/03
>It takes the longest time for my feet to warm up, even though I have
>a thick mattress pad on the bed. (I've always had trouble with cold feet.)
>
>But that's my only complaint.
>
>Karen C./KY

So put those cold tootsies on hubby!

Gisele

maureen

Mar 19, 2003, 11:24:32 PM3/19/03
Hey, works for me LOL. My feet are always cold and DH has a higher than
normal body temperature. Just seemed to be the most obvious thing to do :)

Maureen

"Gdubson" <gdu...@aol.com> wrote in message

Bambi C.

Mar 19, 2003, 11:28:05 PM3/19/03
My dog is a snuggly little foot warmer. And he doesn't expect anything in
return. LOL

Bambi C.
~~~~~~~
Not all those who wander are lost.
J.R.R. Tolkien

Barb Heither

Mar 20, 2003, 12:20:15 AM3/20/03
I would love to try a Nautilus sleep system - an air bed with a
visco-elastic layer on top of it (thinking I would get the benefits of both
the Select Comfort and the Tempur-Pedic beds), but the shipping costs are
quite high to get to Alaska, especially if we didn't like it and wanted to
return it. Has anyone tried one of these beds? www.instantcomfort.com

Thanks. Barb

Iris Brown

Mar 20, 2003, 1:15:39 AM3/20/03
Dual heating mattress pad? I couldn't live without mine.

"KCunnin502" <kcunn...@aol.com> wrote in message

Liz

Mar 20, 2003, 7:05:59 AM3/20/03
We've had a Select Comfort for just about a year. We both love it, but
DH doesn't like the fact that I keep my side firmer than his as if he
rolls over in the middle of the night he feels like he's about to roll
uphill! The only complaint I have is that the mattress is so light
weight that the top sheet keep slipping out of the bottom. In fact, the
mattress slides over its base a couple of inches nightly and has to be
pushed back into alignment, resulting in the bed skirt getting crooked
all the time.

Carolyn

Mar 20, 2003, 8:47:30 AM3/20/03
These opinions are all very helpful. I'm not familiar with the Nautilus
product and will investigate that.

The Select Comfort sounds promising. We'll have to go check it out in the
mall. I understand they have different models as well; i.e., with or without
pillowtop etc. Maybe the pillowtop would give it some extra weight to help
hold the sheets and keep it in place?

All really great points. Thanks ALL!

Carolyn

Barbara Carlson

Mar 20, 2003, 12:15:12 AM3/20/03
I thought that the first night or two, but when I started waking up without
back pain it suddenly started feeling a whole lot better. I wouldn't give
it up for anything now.

Is your pillow a genuine Tempurpedic? I have one that I really like, though
it is somewhat firm. But I have another "memory foam" pillow from Serta
that is a LOT harder. definitely can't sleep on that one, but it's great
for propping up in bed!

Barb C.
"Cheryl B."

KCunnin502

Mar 20, 2003, 8:57:58 AM3/20/03
In article <20030319223833...@mb-dh.aol.com>, gdu...@aol.com
(Gdubson) writes:

>So put those cold tootsies on hubby!

He's usually sound asleep for two or three hours before I go to bed. I can
just imagine how he'd react if I stuck my cold feet on him when he was in a
deep sleep! LOL!

Karen C./KY

KCunnin502

Mar 20, 2003, 8:57:57 AM3/20/03
In article <b5bm3c$27ansh$1...@ID-157009.news.dfncis.de>, "Iris Brown"
<ilbro...@earthlink.net> writes:

>Dual heating mattress pad? I couldn't live without mine.

I didn't know they had such a thing on the market. I will look into it, as it
sounds as if it might be the perfect solution. Thanks!

Karen C./KY

KCunnin502

Mar 20, 2003, 8:57:59 AM3/20/03
In article <20030320084730...@mb-bj.aol.com>,
njm...@aol.communicate (Carolyn) writes:

>I understand they have different models as well; i.e., with or without
>pillowtop etc. Maybe the pillowtop would give it some extra weight to help
>hold the sheets and keep it in place?

Whether you want to get the pillow top or not depends on whether or not you are
a back sleeper. If you sleep on your back, you really don't need it. If
you're a side sleeper, you do (I am, so that's what we got). I don't have any
trouble with the sheets not staying in place.

Karen C./KY

KCunnin502

Mar 20, 2003, 9:18:52 AM3/20/03
In article <1Gjea.43184$Ev6....@fe06.atl2.webusenet.com>, "Barbara Carlson"
<raf...@bellsouth.net> writes:

>Is your pillow a genuine Tempurpedic? I have one that I really like, though
>it is somewhat firm. But I have another "memory foam" pillow from Serta
>that is a LOT harder. definitely can't sleep on that one, but it's great
>for propping up in bed!

Sounds as if I might be interested in something like this. I'm looking for a
pillow that will hold its shape--and hold my head up--for more than a few weeks
and not flatten out like a pancake. I've bought two that were supposed to be
good ones in the past six months, and neither has held up to suit me.

Karen C./KY

Becky Young

Mar 20, 2003, 9:39:02 AM3/20/03
In article <20030320091852...@mb-df.aol.com>, kcunn...@aol.com
(KCunnin502) writes:

> I've bought two that were supposed to be
>good ones in the past six months, and neither has held up to suit me.

I bought two $120 feather pillows and they were cr*p in two months. I nearly
had a heart attack. DH had a health problem during that time and had terrible
night sweats and his pillow soured and was horrible. Mine just went flat.

I did all the tricks - everything except taking the feathers out and airing
them, and nothing helped. I could just see those down feathers everywhere!

Becky Young

....Though nothing can bring back the hour of splendour in the grass, of glory
in the flower, We will grieve not; rather find strength in what remains behind
-- William Wordsworth

cwkc

Mar 20, 2003, 9:40:24 AM3/20/03
I have no trouble with the sheets staying in place either. We did not get
the pillow top. I *think* the pillowtop was like $100 more or so. At that
point we were newly married, so $100 more was a lot...if I had it to do over
I would probably get the pillowtop so it is a little more fluffy. At a few
malls around here they actually have a Select Comfort Store- so you can try
them out. If you can, maybe you can track one down and try it out to see
for yourself.
Also, we have no trouble with our feet getting cold. For one, we live in
Florida, and for two- my feet are always sweaty (I know, yuck!)

Good luck!

Carmen

"KCunnin502" <kcunn...@aol.com> wrote in message

KCunnin502

Mar 20, 2003, 10:54:06 AM3/20/03
In article <b5ck3u$b5e$1...@slb2.atl.mindspring.net>, "cwkc" <cw...@mindspring.com>
writes:

>At a few malls around here they actually have a Select Comfort Store-
>so you can try them out. If you can, maybe you can track one down
>and try it out to see for yourself.

That's the way to do it. They go over all the options, and you get to test
each model. Testing it is what led me to decide on the pillow top..

>Also, we have no trouble with our feet getting cold. For one, we live in
>Florida, and for two- my feet are always sweaty (I know, yuck!)

I've got a thyroid condition (hypo), so my feet are often cold, regardless of
the season--and were even when I visited my SIL in Florida last fall. 8-(

Karen C./KY

KCunnin502

Mar 20, 2003, 10:54:07 AM3/20/03
In article <20030320093902...@mb-ck.aol.com>,
blup...@aol.combadstuff (Becky Young) writes:

>I bought two $120 feather pillows and they were cr*p in two months. I nearly
>had a heart attack. DH had a health problem during that time and had
>terrible night sweats and his pillow soured and was horrible. Mine just went
flat.

>I did all the tricks - everything except taking the feathers out and airing
>them, and nothing helped. I could just see those down feathers everywhere!

That stinks. Wonder if you could get the soured odor out with a baking soda
and water soak? I haven't had a down pillow since I moved out on my own.
(Found out later that I was allergic to down, so I haven't bought any more.)

Karen C./KY

Gdubson

Mar 20, 2003, 11:02:21 AM3/20/03
>I haven't had a down pillow since I moved out on my own.
>(Found out later that I was allergic to down, so I haven't bought any more.)
>
>Karen C./KY

I get itchy just reading about down pillows! Keep them away!

Gisele

Gdubson

Mar 20, 2003, 11:01:48 AM3/20/03
>I've got a thyroid condition (hypo), so my feet are often cold, regardless of
>the season--and were even when I visited my SIL in Florida last fall. 8-(
>
>Karen C./KY

Too bad, that means a prescription for moving to a warm climate would not help
this symptom.

Gisele

Su

Mar 20, 2003, 11:13:51 AM3/20/03

> In article <b5ck3u$b5e$1...@slb2.atl.mindspring.net>, "cwkc"
<cw...@mindspring.com>
> writes:
>
> >At a few malls around here they actually have a Select Comfort Store-
> >so you can try them out. If you can, maybe you can track one down
> >and try it out to see for yourself.
>
> That's the way to do it. They go over all the options, and you get to
test
> each model. Testing it is what led me to decide on the pillow top..

I went to their web site and was blown away with the cost of those things.
Whatever happened to $600 for a mattress and a box spring?

JulieW8

Mar 20, 2003, 12:13:24 PM3/20/03

We recently replaced our 80% waveless waterbed mattress with a
flotation mattress and I love it. It's the best of both worlds, IMO.

I looked at regular mattresses, but my husband whined so much I
decided to stick with a waterbed variant.

Barbara Carlson

Mar 20, 2003, 12:25:21 PM3/20/03
My husband won't have anything but down pillows! I have actually washed
them with fair success. You put them in the dryer with something that will
fluff them. I use a scuba weight tied in a sock! About a 1 or 2 pound
weight. But, I think some use a sneaker or something like that.

Using Borax in the wash water will definitely help get rid of the smell. I
swear by Borax in the wash water. If I leave my clothes in the washer for a
week they don't get that sour smell or mildew.

Barb C.

Becky Young

Mar 20, 2003, 12:35:22 PM3/20/03
In article <20030320105407...@mb-df.aol.com>, kcunn...@aol.com
(KCunnin502) writes:

>That stinks.

It sure did. lol.

>Wonder if you could get the soured odor out with a baking soda
>and water soak? I haven't had a down pillow since I moved out on my own.
>(Found out later that I was allergic to down, so I haven't bought any more.)

I tried baking soda. I could still smell that nasty sour odor no matter what I
did. Poor thing, he was embarrassed about it too. To add insult to injury, he
grabbed MY pillow while all this was going on and I could also smell it.

I accused him of going through menopause. He would totally soak the bedclothes
every nignt.

Susan Mitchell

Mar 20, 2003, 12:43:44 PM3/20/03
I was just thinking the same thing, only sneezing!

--
Sue -- UW Mom -- Rabid Dawg Fan!
(to reply send to medla...@attbi.com)

"Gdubson" <gdu...@aol.com> wrote in message

LSPM

Mar 20, 2003, 1:04:56 PM3/20/03
Have you looked into and/or tried a latex foam mattress. I found that
did wonders for my back.
"cwkc" <cw...@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<b5b6ru$lt3$1...@slb4.atl.mindspring.net>...
> I have a Select Comfort and love it. We have had ours for about 5 years
> now. It was kind of pricey, but in my opinion it was well worth the $.
>
> Carmen

Gdubson

Mar 20, 2003, 1:19:05 PM3/20/03
>I was just thinking the same thing, only sneezing!

Itching AND sneezing.

Gisele

Liz

Mar 20, 2003, 1:11:57 PM3/20/03

Carolyn, make sure the model you buy has the gizmo that shows what level
of comfort is right for you. When we tried out the mattress at the
store the guy was careful to tell us what each of our numbers was, but
then when the bed arrived the remote that inflates and deflates the
mattress had just two buttons - UP and Down - with no way of knowing
what level we were at. It seems that since we bought the no frills
mattress (i.e., cheapest!) we got the no frills remote, but they didn't
tell us this ahead of time. I had to fight with the company to finally
send me the one I was expecting to receive!

Liz

Mar 20, 2003, 1:13:38 PM3/20/03

You get what you pay for!

Laura Gibson

Mar 20, 2003, 1:30:43 PM3/20/03
Ditto, we have a Select Comfort also, would not give it up.

14tonks

Mar 20, 2003, 1:30:54 PM3/20/03
Maybe. But mattresses on box springs always left me with an aching back. For
the last thirty years it's been a happy camper on cheap platform beds with
cheap solid foam mattresses. Go figure.
--
&%) Sheila
To reply to me, you must add the prefix real. to my address.

Su

Mar 20, 2003, 1:38:36 PM3/20/03
"Liz" <liz...@Erols.com> wrote in message news:3E7A04...@Erols.com...

> > I went to their web site and was blown away with the cost of those

things.
> > Whatever happened to $600 for a mattress and a box spring?
>
> You get what you pay for!

I bought a bedroom set (Long Island) around 1988. Still have it ... with the
original mattress/boxspring, and I'm comfortable on it.

Gdubson

Mar 20, 2003, 1:47:18 PM3/20/03

>I bought a bedroom set (Long Island) around 1988. Still have it ... with the
>original mattress/boxspring, and I'm comfortable on it.

That's about the age of the set I have. I keep waiting for it to wear out, but
it simply won't.

Gisele

Carolyn

Mar 20, 2003, 3:08:01 PM3/20/03
>, make sure the model you buy has the gizmo that shows what level
>of comfort is right for you. When we tried out the mattress at the
>store the guy was careful to tell us what each of our numbers was, but
>then when the bed arrived the remote that inflates and deflates the
>mattress had just two buttons - UP and Down

Thanks for the heads up Liz. I was also wondering if the inflation/deflation
pump is noisy, though I wouldn't expect to be changing the setting frequently
once I get comfortable.

Carolyn

Bob

Mar 20, 2003, 3:44:19 PM3/20/03
In article <3e79f4fe...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>, jul...@theusual.com says...
Julie,

What's a 'flotation mattress'?

Thanks,

Bob/Texas

Bob

Mar 20, 2003, 3:44:19 PM3/20/03
In article <ELmea.32048$334....@fe05.atl2.webusenet.com>,
raf...@bellsouth.net says...
Marina washed my king-sized pillow...or I should say, tried to wash my king-
sized pillow. It jammed in the agitator and caused a $90 service call:-)
She's decided to just buy me a new pillow next time.

Bob/Texas

Barbara Carlson

Mar 20, 2003, 3:55:46 PM3/20/03
The tempurpedic is an advanced version of that. We always liked our
original ordinary foam mattress, which disintigrated eventually, but the
fact that we liked that was one of the factors that influenced our choice of
the Tempurpedic. The newer material conforms and supports even better,
though gives a slightly firmer feel.

Barb C.
"LSPM" <lucyl...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Barbara Carlson

Mar 20, 2003, 3:59:18 PM3/20/03
the only plain coil mattress and box spring mattress we had was our least
favorite. It was a good one, but didn't last that well, and never was as
comfortable as the previous foam, and later waterbed. I would never go to a
box spring and coil mattress again. But, it's like so many other things--we
can all give an opinion and our experiences, which may be helpful in making
a choice--but it is what works for you that counts!

Barb C.

"Gdubson" <gdu...@aol.com> wrote in message

JulieW8

Mar 20, 2003, 6:46:32 PM3/20/03
On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:44:19 GMT, Bob <notto...@forevermail.com>
wrote:

>> We recently replaced our 80% waveless waterbed mattress with a
>> flotation mattress and I love it. It's the best of both worlds, IMO.
>>
>> I looked at regular mattresses, but my husband whined so much I
>> decided to stick with a waterbed variant.
>>
>Julie,
>
>What's a 'flotation mattress'?

It's also known as a "soft side waterbed." It looks like a regular
mattress and goes on top of the regular box springs on a regular
frame. The water bladder (or bladders if you get the dual system) go
inside. Then there's a pillow top. From what I've heard, it's very
much like the air pumped beds they're talking about here. You can
adjust the water level just like you adjust the air.

Bob

Mar 20, 2003, 9:04:48 PM3/20/03
In article <3e7a520e...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>, jul...@theusual.com says...
Oh, that's what we have. I just always knew it as a "soft sided waterbed."

Bob/Texas

Liz

Mar 20, 2003, 9:29:12 PM3/20/03

Inflation is a bit noisy; deflation is silent. However, the whole
purpose of knowing your number is that you set it once and forget it!

Laura Gibson

Mar 20, 2003, 10:06:18 PM3/20/03
We had a "soft-sided" waterbed at one time. The sides became nasty after
about 3 or so years. and it was expensive to have them replaced.

"Bob" <notto...@forevermail.com> wrote in message

JulieW8

Mar 20, 2003, 10:39:11 PM3/20/03
On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 03:06:18 GMT, "Laura Gibson" <tran...@attbi.com>
wrote:

>We had a "soft-sided" waterbed at one time. The sides became nasty after
>about 3 or so years. and it was expensive to have them replaced.

How long ago was that? Mine's guaranteed for 10 years, but I put it in
my hard side frame because I like the bed.

Cheryl B.

Mar 20, 2003, 10:50:33 PM3/20/03
Yes it' s a genuine Temperpedic. I bought the larger one even though they
suggested the smaller one, maybe that's my problem. I do like it though, just
wonder how it would feel on my whole body. Actually it was my mother's day
present last year from my family.

Cheryl B.

Barbara Carlson wrote:

> I thought that the first night or two, but when I started waking up without
> back pain it suddenly started feeling a whole lot better. I wouldn't give
> it up for anything now.
>
> Is your pillow a genuine Tempurpedic? I have one that I really like, though
> it is somewhat firm. But I have another "memory foam" pillow from Serta
> that is a LOT harder. definitely can't sleep on that one, but it's great
> for propping up in bed!
>
> Barb C.
> "Cheryl B."

KCunnin502

Mar 21, 2003, 1:03:29 AM3/21/03
In article <20030320110148...@mb-cg.aol.com>, gdu...@aol.com
(Gdubson) writes:

>Too bad, that means a prescription for moving to a warm climate would not
>help this symptom.

Nope, it wouldn't. But the Synthroid seems to be beginning to help, and I'm
still only on the lowest dose, so I am hoping to see more improvement as we
adjust upward.

Karen C./KY

KCunnin502

Mar 21, 2003, 1:03:32 AM3/21/03
In article <20030320123522...@mb-ma.aol.com>,
blup...@aol.combadstuff (Becky Young) writes:

>I accused him of going through menopause. He would totally soak the
>bedclothes every nignt.

Sounds like me with my thyroid. I've had night sweats for, I guess, a couple
of years now. Thought it was menopause (I'm almost 49). Doc said nope, I
wasn't even in the beginning stages yet, that I still have all that to look
forward to. Joy.

Karen C./KY

KCunnin502

Mar 21, 2003, 1:03:29 AM3/21/03
In article <3Nlea.10588$jA2.9...@newsread2.prod.itd.earthlink.net>, "Su"
<MTsin...@hotmail.com> writes:

>I went to their web site and was blown away with the cost of those things.
>Whatever happened to $600 for a mattress and a box spring?

Inflation. Even the el-cheapo beds are more than $600 these days. They're
right--you really do get what you pay for.

Karen C./KY

KCunnin502

Mar 21, 2003, 1:03:28 AM3/21/03
In article <20030320150801...@mb-bj.aol.com>,
njm...@aol.communicate (Carolyn) writes:

>I was also wondering if the inflation/deflation
>pump is noisy, though I wouldn't expect to be changing the setting frequently
>once I get comfortable.

Inflation sure is noisy. It's good to use when you want to annoy hubby <g>.

I do have to change my setting every month or so. Don't know whether I have a
slow leak or just need to readjust. Hubby rarely changes his, though.

Karen C./KY

KCunnin502

Mar 21, 2003, 1:03:29 AM3/21/03
In article <3E7A04...@Erols.com>, Liz <liz...@Erols.com> writes:

>then when the bed arrived the remote that inflates and deflates the
>mattress had just two buttons - UP and Down - with no way of knowing
>what level we were at. It seems that since we bought the no frills
>mattress (i.e., cheapest!) we got the no frills remote, but they didn't
>tell us this ahead of time.

I let hubby talk me out of getting the controls with the numbers. I've
regretted that since. Hmmm . . . wonder if it can be added on later.

Karen C./KY

KCunnin502

Mar 21, 2003, 1:03:33 AM3/21/03
In article <3e79f4fe...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>, jul...@theusual.com (JulieW8)
writes:

>We recently replaced our 80% waveless waterbed mattress with a
>flotation mattress and I love it. It's the best of both worlds, IMO.
>I looked at regular mattresses, but my husband whined so much I
>decided to stick with a waterbed variant.

I absolutely loved our waveless waterbed mattress. It was great for my bad
back. We'd had two over a period of 20 years. I like the Select Comfort okay,
but would have never looked at them, had it not been for hubby drooling over
them. Paul Harvey convinced my husband that he HAD TO HAVE the Select Comfort.
And since he doesn't get his way all that often, I figured I'd pacify him, so
. . .

Karen C./KY

Liz

Mar 21, 2003, 5:19:32 AM3/21/03

It can, Karen, but they're expensive!

janey ray

Mar 21, 2003, 4:10:39 PM3/21/03
In article <rQpea.8065$Jj5....@fe07.atl2.webusenet.com>,
raf...@bellsouth.net says...

> The tempurpedic is an advanced version of that. We always liked our
> original ordinary foam mattress, which disintigrated eventually, but the
> fact that we liked that was one of the factors that influenced our choice of
> the Tempurpedic. The newer material conforms and supports even better,
> though gives a slightly firmer feel.
>
> Barb C.

I have a Tempur Pedic too, and it's fantastic. Provides wonderful
support, and my husband's tossing and turning isn't an issue
anymore. We got it online from Healthyback.com and got very good
service. Good luck making your decision.

jr