medline

METZLER SANDRA TAIMI

Dec 21, 1993, 11:52:07 AM12/21/93
i have heard of medline, a database of abstracts? articles? on MUCH
medical research. does anyone know if one can access medline via the
internet? is/are there any other place(s) where one can go for strict
information? please post, as the answers might be interesting to others.
i have no problem following this newsgroup
for a while--it's interesting :>

[disclaimer: i am not a nurse, but my mother is. she, however, is
not Completely computer literate...or internet literate, for
that matter...]

thanks for the information. i apologize if this information is
in the FAQ.

taimi metzler
metz...@spot.colorado.edu

Patty Cravener

Dec 21, 1993, 1:59:17 PM12/21/93
In article <CIE9I...@cnsnews.Colorado.EDU> metz...@spot.Colorado.EDU (METZLER SANDRA TAIMI) writes:
>i have heard of medline, a database of abstracts? articles? on MUCH
>medical research. does anyone know if one can access medline via the
>internet? is/are there any other place(s) where one can go for strict

This is part of the answer -- perhaps other readers will be able to help also.
Medline is accessible through a large number of gopher servers. I've seen
it on the menus, but don't use it so can't tell more than that.
Unfortunately, I can't recall exactly which servers have it just where on
the menus, but if you nose around gopherspace you'll see it...

This is the really neat thing, IMHO:
NIS offers Grateful Med software at a give-away price, one-time $35.00 fee
gets you the software, manuals, regular upgrades on the software (free),
and the monthly publication from NLM.
What this is, is really cheap access to the entire National Library of
Medicine database, almost free.
(NLM is the largest repository of health care information in the world.
I knew a research librarian who took a job there - she was joining a team
whose job it was to locate and catalog *everything* published *anywhere*
related to health care)

Searching the NLM database is brain-dead easy. You can retrieve the
references and go to lib. to get the articles, order the articles to be
smailed to you from NLM, or download them to your fax machine (if you have
better computer equipment than I do!)

For students in health sciences (any), that already cheap access is reduced
to half price for 2 years after getting a user I.D. in the system.
Dial-up is through tymnet, telenet, and others -- whatever is a local call
for the user.
Contact a research librarian at any major library, I should think, for the
application forms for Grateful Med service...

As you see from the above, I think NLM is one of the world's wonders, and
that almost-free access to it is one of the little known perks our
government does give, to support health care personnel and students.
(I paid about $2.00 for an *extensive* search that took me more than an
hour and got me a huge, comprehensive file of research and lit. refs for
therapeutic relationship factors, for example -- billing is monthly, by
mail. )

Aloha,
Patty

Alexandra Bost

Dec 21, 1993, 2:53:48 PM12/21/93
In article <CIE9I...@cnsnews.Colorado.EDU> metz...@spot.Colorado.EDU (METZLER SANDRA TAIMI) writes:
>i have heard of medline, a database of abstracts? articles? on MUCH
>medical research. does anyone know if one can access medline via the
>internet? is/are there any other place(s) where one can go for strict
>information? please post, as the answers might be interesting to others.

Medline can also be accessed through PaperChase on Compu$erve. It is
considered an extra charge -- I think $25 an hour and a nominal fee for
every article downloaded.

alex

--
Alexandra Bost
UNIX SysAdmin, SAS Institute email: al...@unx.sas.com

amy frey

Jan 1, 1994, 11:29:57 AM1/1/94
I am a librarian in an area hospital. You can purchase the software called
"Grateful Med" from the National Technical Information Service (29.95, a one
time fee and all upgrades are free) which will allow you to search the family
of database
s generated by the National Library of Medicine (incl. Medline, Aidsline,
Health planning and administration, etc.) using your modem and a local access
number. Most searches cost between $2 & $3. The vocabulary is built into the
software so you need no
t know the precise terminology used by Medlars. If you are not located near a
medical library, there is a companion piece which will allow you to request
articles to be sent to you. I hope this information will be of use to you.
Amy Frey

Dean Barnett

Jan 2, 1994, 10:38:50 PM1/2/94
Actually, I much prefer Paperchase, available directly from Beth Israel or through Compuserve. It doesn't require special software and is much faster.

* Cuerna Verde BBS FidoNet Gateway * Data/Fax: 1-719-545-8572 *
* Pueblo, Colorado USA * FidoNet: 1:307/18 *